Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osaA68xMts

This is a really neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
He didn't base them off of Slenderman for anything but the name. He named them that only because someone pointed out the similarity in a reddit thread. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even know it existed before people told him.

And the Slenderman/Marble Hornets stuff has nothing to do with an ARG past what some idiot named the first thread for it over here.

You're pretty much wrong in every way about that, Zorak.

e: well, past the image being an ARG thing. Which is neat.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

JerikTelorian posted:

Apparently he's trying to "deploy" it now. He was asking Mollstam for help, so it's something web related?
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/102060719100534785

Stats maybe?

EDIT: Mollstam response:
I'm "warming up" the "death ray"
https://twitter.com/#!/mollstam/status/102062981495521280

It's probably something to do with that minecraft convention.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Use the default texture pack, wait for 1.8's official release.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Taffer posted:

Why?

Because they didn't finish all the biomes they wanted in the generation, like snowy biomes.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lavender Philtrum posted:

It's amazing, C418 has remade like nearly every sound in the game and notch just sits on his rear end not adding literally any of them and using his dumb placeholder sounds. It's mindboggling, and really upsetting. I just want him to add the drat sounds how hard can it be??

It's almost like the game is in constant development and is as yet unfinished in many major aspects.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

THE MACHO MAN posted:

How many things did he say were not doable that were done by the community??

Not much? The only thing I can think of is stuff to do with lighting, but that was just "it won't work unless I rewrite the lighting system" and then he rewrote the lighting system so

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
So where do I start with the yogscast videos?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You know you can customize Painterly, right? I don't even think glowstone looks like lanterns by default in the pack so I'm not sure what you're saying

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Please don't take this the wrong way, but what's the best way to get news about the game that isn't this thread? I'm kind of tired of all the talk about how poo poo the game is and how various people are making games that are better. :shobon:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The guy over at Dead End Thrills has been posting a ton of minecraft stuff recently.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DNK posted:

So as far as I can tell the Hoppers are equivalent to tubes that only flow horizontally and down. Seems pretty specialized considering that they could have just co-opted tubes from one of those Tekkit mods.

Transferring items across a fortress is fine and all, but only downwards? :( No mining tubes to send diamonds into the base?

You can put items into chests, including chests in minecarts.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

xanthan posted:

I don't get it, how is the Dispenser out putting a signal? How is the chest putting out one?

Read the quote in his post.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The item you magically shoved together that uses glowing dust you harvested out of cube-shaped blocks is able to detect how many things are in the box.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SugarAddict posted:

relax, I'm sure they will get around to it once they finish spending all that money so they will get more people to buy minecraft, after which it will switch to a subscription model, pay-for-updates!

Is there any reason to say this other than ":jerkbag: Minecraft :jerkbag:"?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Roundboy posted:

Has anybody tried automated planting yet?

I've only seen bonemeal and harvest. With a absurd number of redstone devices

I think people are holding off to see if you can plant things with dispensers.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Nice, that looks like the sort of area I've been trying to get from a seed for a while. Thanks!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Oggumogoggum posted:

Thought I'd make a happy post to report that I have heard back via PM from Erek, who has given me the go-ahead to finish fixing his map and to re-release it. I'll post more progress shots as I get more done.

That's fantastic! I'm glad he signed off on it, it was one of my favorite adventure maps in the past and I'm really happy you're updating it.

A question, though - that map had a handful of hidden secret bonus items per segment, right? I'm assuming you're using the version that was the entire thing instead of manually separating them; are you carrying those over from the segments?

(it's been too long, sorry if I'm misremembering or the full version had the secrets already)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I will use Painterly always and forever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Minecraft is already an MMO though?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone have that really old video from when lava was updated to set things on fire and it burned someone's house down halfway through their tour?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Geekslinger posted:

I've seen some pretty impressive builds over the years, but this one from 360 creative blows my mind.

http://youtu.be/afcudstM9zA

That's kickass.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

jivjov posted:

I keep wanting to get the 360 version, but until they fix the absurdly tiny world issue, I'm not gonna waste my time.

I don't think it's a fixable thing given the limits of the hardware.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
From what I've seen of the Achievement Hunter guys running the Xbox port, I don't think the map size is all too limiting. It does suck that you can't have huge sprawling maps, but you definitely have a lot of room to build on.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have no idea what you mean and I've been playing since alpha.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That'd explain why I haven't seen it, since it's an obscure bug requiring a very unnatural situation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

An unnatural situation such as "a spider climbing a wall." That's basically the main thing that's been getting to me. The spider bug does not require excessive numbers. These types of bugs have also practically ruined several adventure maps.

edit: While I'm at it, I sure wish they'd fix mobs randomly being immune to arrows and bouncing them back. This one happens almost at random and doesn't require any extraordinary circumstances.

You said "small amounts of spiders" which I presumed meant 'more than one spider,' but okay

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
No, pretty much all the big minecraft mods get really overboard with crazy poo poo.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The best April Fools jokes are the ones that get people legitimately angry and whiny.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DarkJC posted:

How do you switch it off? Don't post what you're working on. Not sure why that's a requirement for him. I doubt he posted all over the internet about Minecraft when he first came up with the idea, but that's what he did with 0x10c. Pretty sure he spent more time on the website for 0x10c then he had on the game when he said that's what he was working on.

Reminder that this is the sort of thing entitled assholes did when Notch didn't say exactly what he was working on every second of every day:

He's got a ton of people staring at him in threads and forums like these, judging him for increasingly over the top reasons and it obviously bothers him.

Speaking of:

nomad2020 posted:

When I become filthy rich I'm definitely going to remind all my friends how I don't have time to do the things I want because I hired people to do the work for me.

How the gently caress did you come up with this?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If anything, the runaway success of the XBLA version of Minecraft shows how many people enjoy the game completely vanilla.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The space limits are kind of sad but they're a lot larger than you'd think and are perfectly serviceable for a lot of people's needs.

Heavy Lobster posted:

a crafting system that doesn't require a wiki open to learn

Has anyone made a mod that's basically porting over the console crafting system? I'd really enjoy that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That sounds really neat, I'd love to see that in action.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Schwarzwald posted:

The fan backlash would be deafening.

Not only that but there's dozens and dozens of pieces of merchandise using the look of all the blocks and mobs. They're iconic now and changing it would be insane.

If you don't like it, there's hundreds of alternate texture packs to use and the game has drag-and-drop support for most of them! I use Painterly, myself.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Anyone know how to get Connected Texture Mod working with Painterly? I build a ton with glass and it really bugs me when it looks ugly and non-connected, so I've been waiting for Painterly to get updated to work with the new CTM format Optifine updated to - but after so long it appears that it's either not in the plans or wayyy on the backburner for Painterly. Are there any workarounds or autoconverters out there?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The main thing to realize about Minecraft, Thunderfinger, is that people have played it to death so much that they've exhausted all the fun they could and tend to insist it's not fun at all to new players. You know, just in case you suddenly got that impression.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Not really?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That would be incredibly stupid and unfun, dude. I know it's trendy to assume the worst from Minecraft devs, but assume they have a little common sense.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

jivjov posted:

I just laugh that this is apparently a move made to support the modding API. Y'know, that thing that was promised about 6 updates ago.

It's genuinely a move towards it, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

A shrubbery! posted:

Has this been mentioned yet? Minecraft for Xbox One is up for pre-order at £55, ~$75? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-M...VJS0TV12N3MZ0Z9

Oh boy, a game I already own for a system no sane person is going to buy.