Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Slio posted:

I've got a question that maybe someone can help out with. We have a SMP server that we started on 1.5.1 that we upgraded to 1.7.3 when it came out a while back. Ever since the upgrade to 1.7.3, parts of the world have been slowly freezing over. At first we thought it was limited and it may have been something odd with Biomes (as we've been seeing odd chunk creation as well), but as of the last couple of days, the entire world has slowly been freezing entirely. I feel like a Stark or something. Anyway, is this a known issue or just a really odd unique occurrence? is it possible to fix?

I don't what is causing it or how to fix it, but if you aren't building a giant wall to keep the zombies out, you are a terrible person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

StealthArcher posted:

Soooo. This lines up with 6pm CST (11:30 currently), any ideas?

Secret Friday update? :ohdear:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It was possible even when he claimed it wasn't, some guy built it into a mod a little while later.

The mod was never released and I know that there has been talk that the little video he released was faked.

EDIT: Apparently, there was a version of it released. Never mind then

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

JGBeagle posted:

And now I will continue to play on Peaceful.

Same.

A link to the article since I didn't see it:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1190990p1.html

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 28, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah that sounds like exactly it
Notch is intentionally making the game as unenjoyable as possible because he hates his customers and fanbase so badly he wants nothing more than to gently caress with them
That really sounds like the case.

I would say that it is much more like this

Javid posted:

I just think he's confused "challenging" with "giant pain in the rear end".

But yeah, some of these things are interesting, but I'm not really sure how good they will be. Then again, these are all things that people have been clamoring for in various aspects for a while and loved in various mobs (more varied and dificult mobs, NPC villages, Wurms-like gauges :v:)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DaftPVF posted:

This guy built minecraft in minecraft! :w00t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnO1QZJ--M

And here's the video of him explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkGjIcV28A

*XZibit joke goes here*

But seriously, holy poo poo that is absolutely incredible

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
SO I have a question. Today, I was trying to make a standard tnt cannon. However, I noticed the lit TNT was not being move by the water (which was flowing). Is this something new to 1.7 and I had just never noticed this before? Or can it still work properly?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lazyfire posted:

I wonder if there would be a way to get them to act as redshirts when you go exploring, like if you could wall them in and make them go in a single direction. That would be all I did in the game if it works.

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I never realized how strange it was that they just stood around until he fixed it. Well done Notch :bravo:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I've never seen a group of people misinterpret what somebody is saying so severely before.

Jesus

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
How has no one mentioned the new splash screen?

It shows an awesome looking world

EDIT: Try the seed "BigIslands" and go to about -250x, 350z

It is great

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 9, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So the seed "BigIslands" is awesome

Edit: can't replicate it while trying :(

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 9, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Yes, I didn turn up the FOV on that picture to get more of the scenery in a single shot

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I wish there was a way to control downward movement while flying :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I just an awesome seed: PlusIsBad

Some really nice mountains very close to the spawn area, and some caves that go all the way down the diamonds depths. The first entrance I found required going into a mouth of a cave the ended fairly close to the surface, but after breaking one or two blocks, I was in a giant cave system

EDIT: There is a small village in the other direction near x=150,z=0

And a loving giant underground ravine right next to the village. Holy poo poo

With a Mine in it :aaaaa:

Now with Pictures:
From above my spawn

Lights are in the giant cave system

NPC village with ravine and mine

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 10, 2011

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rirse posted:

I know this was bought up last page, but what texture packs been updated for 1.8?

SMP has one and it is great

SMP posted:

:siren: Here's the 1.8 update for my texture pack! :siren:

Download
I want to customize this pack! (1.7.3) | I want to download the regular pack! (1.8.x) | (Planet Minecraft Mirror) | I want to download the mod support! (1.7.3)

After the dust settles post-1.8, I'll update support for all my mods. Also note that the customizer has not been updated to support 1.8 yet, so you'll either have to play vanilla or manually customize the textures.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

change my name posted:

Has anyone come across any silverfish without cheating them in yet?

DO we have any pictures of them yet? I haven't seen one

EDIT: acording to the wiki, they can only be found when mining stone bricks in Strongholds

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Zorak posted:

Is the frequent issues I have with memories causing Minecraft to close the session/ save and go "hey, the game is hosed, restart" just a general bug or is it something I'm doing wrong setting wise? I basically switched the minecraft.jar from 1.8 into the .minecraft/bin/ folder and replaced an old one

I think they finally caught the out of memory exception that used to cause the black screen and then deal with it, rather than just letting the game crash.

There is probably just a memory leak that they haven't fixed yet.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Coach Sport posted:

I found a diamond in a chest in one of those abandoned mine tunnels. Pretty cool, does this mean chests in abandoned mines have a better loot table than dungeons?

I would guess that they have improved both. I found goldbars in dungeon chest. I also found an Iron Pickaxe in a mine chest

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Node posted:

I'd like to have a new world, with the updated biomes, but keep my construction projects from previous worlds. Is there an easy way to do that? The only way I can think of is copying+pasting everything in MCEdit, although this would look ugly

I haven't been keeping up with minecraft for a long time so I'm not as informed as most people. Is there a way to edit my world so it regenerates all the chunks (with the new 1.8 features) but tell it not to regenerate specific ones?

You could just keep working in the same map and any new chunk will have the new things. There will also be ridiculous walls of earth at the edges of you existing map.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Anyone have a clue what the world type thing means? It is in the world creation screen

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ThndrShk2k posted:

Day/Night 2

I managed to setup a little hut to sleep in out from the weather and who knows what there is out there.

My plants are growing, hopefully something to eat, as I am starving. It hurts to even move now.

I am going to die in here, alone and starving.

(Thinking about changing the spawn to another island and passing this world on as a one life survive in the ocean world, that is if I don't master this island first.)
Dude, seriously, turn up your brightness before you take screenshots at night.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

endolithic posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but minecraft.net is barfing itself too hard for me to check myself: what's the best/most effective way to submit bug reports? I found a way to get an infinite coal, but I don't know whether I should use the forums, the wiki, the getsatisfaction, the twitter, or all of the above.

Twitter, but also tell us

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I just found a village with 16 buildings, 6 farms, and a well

It is a loving city :psyduck:

EDIT: Also, the Seed was "Something Awful"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Lagoon posted:

Position please?

around 120,120

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

ExplodingSquid posted:

So I installed 1.8 and It's fun as hell but it's so drat laggy for some reason. Minecraft ran better on my old lovely laptop that was an i2 with 2gb memory I think. This is an i5 with 4gb memory... What should I do to make it run better?

Wait, for the real release next week (hopefully). This update has been hard on everyone's computer. Also, upgrade 64 bit java, if you haven't.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Bad Coffee posted:

I used nearly twenty stacks of TNT filling all the buildings in the village, but I just don't think it was enough. :(

This is how you get the job done:

Boat posted:

This might have something to do with it:

E: Hah! I like that the minimap captures that the edges of the road are also explosive. :v:

EE: Aftermath:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Taffer posted:

They hardly ever attack you and they move barely any blocks and they do the same damage as zombies and they're really easy to kill and they're rare.

They're basically just something cool to look at.

They're also damaged by rain and water in general

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

glug posted:

So.. has anyone found any loving clay in this update, or did they gently caress it up again :(

It is pretty much everywhere in swamp biomes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

The Butcher posted:

So if I go to areas not previously visited, will it generate the new terrain/biome stuff, or do you need to generate a whole new world?

It will generate any unvisited area with the new terrain generator. There will likely be a cliff though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mrwuss posted:

He also said it was impossible to do colored light. Community proved him wrong and it ended up in the game.

He said it was with his light engine. Which it was. It required rewriting the engine to do it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fren posted:

Oh boy! Notch learning concurrency! This won't be like the worst goddamn thing ever.

1.9.1: Fixed a race condition that caused all chunks to overwrite eachother while saving

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I think the problem is that Minecraft has a wide enough appeal that the fans want vastly different things. I don't give a poo poo about animals, but love it whenever he adds random poo poo, like wolves or pistons or snowmen.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

wise purchase posted:

Hey all, I have to say, this game looks very interesting and I've been considering purchasing it for awhile now, but I'm a bit concerned about the game still being in beta form. If people are paying the creator for an unfinished game, then what incentive does he have to finish the game? Who wants to pay full price for half a game? I mean, I have faith that notch isn't scamming us (he's a gamer like the rest of us, after all) but then I run across stuff like this which shakes my confidence. Do you think the community is robust enough to handle a non-beta minecraft becoming vaporware?

Just buy the game. It is fun and worth way more than 15 bucks.

Also, didn't he only do the secret friday updates for like a month or two.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

OilSlick posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but Google and the OP didn't seem to have any useful information.

Why won't my copy of Minecraft update to 1.8.1? It says I'm at 1.8, and nothing else happens. Everyone who has this problem on Google has the update at least start at then freeze, but I'm not getting anything at all.

Delete your version file in the bin folder

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fuego Fish posted:

Mention legal action, I'm pretty sure everyone on the Minecraft forums is designed from the ground up to poo poo their pants and throw a tantrum at the merest mention of copyright law.

Although in all likelihood the guy is a self-professed "ideas man" and doesn't have the faintest idea about how to make a videogame.

He is gonna make an awesome console game in RPG Maker. You can export that to PS3, right :downs:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Redstone is simple if you understand logic gates.

Fitting redstone into a tight space is extremely spergy because of how redstone needs to be facing certain directions to power things.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

But you aren't positive. It could be.

Whatever you're "righting" on, I don't want to read it. :colbert:

I'm pretty stoked about this alchemy system, the more I read into it. The game seems to have suddenly grown in features in a relatively short period time, compared to what we've gotten in the year between the last Halloween update and now.

I wonder how many of these things we are getting now have been under development for a while, but they wanted to get more basic features out first

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's the smallest redstone repeater clock that doesn't have to be reset every time you load the game? Doesn't matter what the period is, in fact a slower clock that produces less lag might even be better.

a 3x3 minecart track with a sensor and a powered rail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Vaah posted:

This is probably a really stupid, weird post:

Does anyone else hear an incredibly faint ringing sort of noise on the main menu? Its pitch changes between the singleplayer/Multiplayer/Texture pack screen. Am I crazy?

Definitely not, I only ever hear it when Minecraft is the active program. If I tab out to anything, it stops.

Yeah, I used to get that too, but not since whichever patch added the artwork to main menu.