Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm thinking of getting Minecraft Pocket Edition for on-the-go building. I am not particularly interested in the non-building aspects of Minecraft, at least at the moment - I haven't played Minecraft before.

Is there an iOS goon server - I don't see one in the PGS area? My understanding is that the iOS app can do multiplayer but can only access other iOS servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

chippy posted:

I could be wrong but I think the multiplayer on the pocket editions is restricted to LAN play.

This is correct! Still bought the pocket edition though, hella fun to build poo poo.

(hoping to one day have access to external servers)

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sir Xiphos posted:

Just bought the Pocket Edition for mah Sony S. It's surprisingly comfortable to play, especially on a slightly smaller screen. My productivity is about to take a hit a think.

I just bought the Pocket Edition yesterday, as my very first foray into Minecraft. The recently-added Survival mode is a joke - the only enemies are zombies and sheep, and you start with infinite tools and resources so it's quite easy to build a big rear end house before night hits. I was like "This doesn't seem very hard" until I read that the normal version of Minecraft is much tougher.

Still, the implementation is pretty cool - cool enough that I went and bought the full game for my pc.

I can't wait for Pocket Edition to have crafting, but even more importantly, to be able to access multiplayer servers over the internets.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

I mean if you wanted to get obsessive about it, you'd have an axe to fell the tree, a hatchet to remove branches, a two-man saw to carve it into usable logs, a planer to finish those logs, and then a pot of tar or pine resin to preserve them so they don't rot.

Why's it gotta be a two-man saw? Why can't two women do it?

I don't know about the ability to select triangles as shown in the Blockscape video, but the ability to select three different sizes of blocks is pretty great. Is there anything on the horizon for that in MC?

I'm new to this game - is there a reason everyone runs around with a bow and arrow?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What makes the bow-and-arrow "end game"? Is it difficult to farm up the materials?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PalmTreeFun posted:

I really want Minecraft to have a more interesting survival mode, but honestly it'd need a pretty big overhaul to even be as good as Skyrim, which to be honest I still didn't like that much. And that was like a super-polished Minecraft without dynamic terrain.

Is Minecraft really in the same genre as Skyrim (or even other fantasy games)? I got interested in Minecraft because of the ability to build massive worlds, and survival mode helps immerse me in the world in a way that creative doesn't. Obviously, survival mode could be fleshed out a bit, hopefully that is coming, but to try to get Minecraft to be like Skyrim seems to be missing the point of Minecraft.

So many games in the fantasy genre are about navigating a world that someone else has designed for you. Minecraft is about navigating a world that you design as you go.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any good Minecraft server hosts? I have somewhere between four and ten friends who want to play on a server together but we don't have an extra box to run as a server as far as I know.

Looknig through some threads on Micecraft hosting, I see a lot of providers but it's hard to know if any are legit.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I went ahead and signed up with minehost.org, since that's what Wilson uses and I have played on his server.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey if something I make (say, a powered rail or a button) is protected by Essentials.Protect, how do I turn off that protection so that other people can use the button? I made one of those one-way powered rail stations where the cart comes to a stop and then you push a button and it comtinues on its way, but my friend was having trouble getting the button to work.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How did you get that pool table?

And that red carpet with the yellow fringe?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What mods / programs do you use to port a 1.1 map over to 1.2? I have a small town that I'd like to transfer into a 1.2 world.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

Changing to 1.2 requires generating a new world or using this or this. Note that I have not tested these methods myself so back up your world.

There is no way of using 1.2 without converting because the code now relies on the new Anvil file format, all worlds before 1.2 use MCregion format. You can read about the new file format here.

Note that converting an old map to 1.2 will have issues with biomes since biome data is now stored differently instead of relying on a world generation algorithm (this is so that future changes to world generation code will not cause maps to have their biomes be screwed with). So biomes may be redefined randomly. Jeb has placed code in Anvil to allow 3rd party developers to write a tool that can manually redefine a biome, but I do not believe anyone has that tool yet.

Sorry that this will probably cause you problems, depending on the size of your world you could probably use a tool like mcEdit once it works with the new world structure and copy important structures and cities over to a new map. It is why on WilsonSMP we used an island for our 1.0 world since we knew that we would need something easily transportable since Jeb has been talking about these changes for a while now.

Thanks for the response but you appear to contradict what the Mojang people are saying:

quote:

The next snapshot, and Minecraft 1.2, will automatically convert worlds to the new format. The files of the current format (“McRegion”) will remain in your save folder, if you need to restore them for some reason.

I’ve prepared a converter (with source code) for tool makers that wants to be prepared. You do not need to use this to convert your maps! It’s only for reference!

So according to Mojang it appears that I can update my server to 1.2, restart it, and my map will be converted over. I won't see new biomes until we expand out, but that's ok.

Is that right?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

You'll note that the post on Mojang's website does not detail anything but the new Anvil format, not biomes. What that is saying is that 1.1 worlds can be updated from the .mcr format to .mca, nothing more.

This still has the problems of:
1) Converted worlds are not guaranteed to keep their biomes correct as the conversion process has no way of telling what biome was what, so it may snow in the wrong places or forest may look dead because of desert biome data.
2) 1.1 Worlds are flagged to not generate the new jungle biome to prevent "world scarring" (where world generation gets ugly when new chunks meet old). The two links I posted show you how to force the 1.1 world to generate biomes. The reddit post is from Jeb detailing how it is to be done with a warning that it will cause ugliness where new and old chunks meet.

So yes, you can convert your old world over, all you will get though is everything but jungles. This is why I suggested rolling a new 1.2 world and transposing what structures and towns you can over from the 1.1 world.

Thanks for the clarification, I greatly appreciate it.

To use a tool to copy our structures and towns over, I will need to wait for mods to become compatible with 1.2, correct?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nenonen posted:

If there's Kinect support, it might be the ultimate workout game. First punch your way down to baserock level, then jump up a mountain slope.

I'm one of those players who obsessively installs staircases anytime there is a one-block ledge that is jump-able. I prefer staircases in mines too. I would ruin the fitness aspect of this.

It kind of annoys me when people can just use /home or /spawn to get back because then they never have to go up my staircase. :(

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A friend of mine just installed Minecraft on his Mac, and he is complaining that MC is eating up all of his memory. Is there a memory leak or is this just standard Minecraft behavior?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks, I've passed along that tip!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have heard several references to "lanterns" that are supposedly in vanilla MC now, but the only lanterns on the wiki are the Jack O'Lanterns. Where can I find more info about these other lanterns?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone here follow the progress of Minecraft: Pocket Edition? They just added limited crafting in last update. I'm really excited about the future for this version, but I wonder if it will ever be able to access normal Minecraft servers - if not, do you think they might one day have internet servers just for the M:PE? Because right now, multiplayer is only available with another device on your wi-fi network, and that is slow as balls.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Can I just say that it's really really annoying to build a big, working loop of rail/powered rail, just to have some jackass leave his minecart on the track? Not to mention if he leaves his cart on the track halfway between powered rails...

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

Hey guys, remember cocoa beans? You know, that stuff you use to make useless cookies and more importantly brown wool? You know, the stuff that you can only find in chests in dungeons?

Guess what is coming in 1.3. :v:

Tree testicles?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I always build an "airlock" for getting in and out of my animal pens.

code:
----GATE1---
|          |
|          |
----GATE2---
|          |
|   PEN    |
|          |
------------
If a chicken escapes through Gate2, they are still confined to the airlock and I can try to get them out without having to chase them all over the damned place.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My minecraft client has randomly decided it can't find minecraft.net... What the hell?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Assuming that an 8 player team started with nothing, on a fresh map, how long do you guys think it would take for them to kill the Ender Dragon? I have a group of friends preparing a LAN party and I suggested that they consider playing a game of Minecraft, with the objective of killing the Ender Dragon.

How long should it take a coordinated group of 8 people to do this (on hard difficulty)?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

A lot of it will depend on how difficult to find/far away the stronghold is. It could be a matter of a few hours, or it could take several days. There's really no way to tell unless you use a pre-gen'd map with the stronghold in known coordinates.

Is it too difficult to use eyes of ender to locate it?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hobo By Design posted:

If you keep track of your xz coords, you can really easily find the enderportal's with the slope intercept equation and two eyes of ender reasonably far apart. Finding netherfortresses for blaze rods might be trickier since the nether is so hazardous. Farming snowballs and arrows and stuff would probably be the most ridiculous part, and the dragon is a pain to fight with friends all in creative mode.

Yeah we would probably use triangulation to locate the nearest stronghold. And this adventure would occur on an SMP server so no one would have creative mode.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dush posted:

Nobody expects professionalism from Mojang. This is the company that's decided it's worth letting their game call South African players niggers from time to time as long as they can save a couple thousand bucks in translation fees.

Um, what?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vinlaen posted:

I see a couple of servers in the private games forum but can anybody recommend any of them specifically for a new player who just wants to mine and craft stuff?

I'd like a server where the average number of players online is ~10 - 15 or whatever and will let me ask stupid questions on how to build or do different things :)

(Also, no PVP or griefing ....)

The WilsonSMP server has a pretty great community of core players and no real PvP or griefing, but they just moved to a new setup with a ton of new mods, and their current map is temporary, so you shouldn't start any long projects there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Given that Minecraft servers are not run by Mojang, what is the point of the login server anyway? It's pretty lovely that I can't log in to my favorite SMP server, which is stable and available, because Mojang's login server is down - especially when I paid money for Minecraft.

I think the login server is stupid. There are other ways to do DRM that do not require somethnig that is totally reliant on Mojang's dubious IT skills.