Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I hope this is the right thread for my question:

I have this server, which up until somewhere in July worked magnificently.
But it seems like a couple of chunks became corrupt or something. Whenever someone tries to modify the chunks by building or similar, the server becomes laggy, uses too much CPU and in the end shuts down. I have no idea how I can correct this.

Now I'm toying with the idea of starting from scratch. But is there a program or something that I can use to prevent a similar situation arising? Or is there a program that can remove a chunk and force Minecraft to regenerate it? MCEdit didn't seem to have that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Montalvo posted:

From Google+:

I really hope he follows through with that and it's included in 1.8.

Also, this thread is dying compared to the modding thread. :(

Well, yes and no. I hate it when I have a nice world, and suddenly something changes in the biome code. Snow melting someplaces and other places entire oceans freezes.

Rivers would be incredibly cool, though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Soooo. This lines up with 6pm CST (11:30 currently), any ideas?

Originally 1.8 was supposed to be launched after PAX, so it's probably not that.
That said, I wouldn't mind some piece of info about 1.8. Villages, what the Adventure elements consists of. Stuff like that.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Man, when he gets an iPad version out the door, my legs might just die from the extended toilet breaks.

And now I imagine the Xperia Play version being playable on the PS Vita also, which is just too awesome to imagine.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

The world would be a better place if all conflicts were settled in Quake.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'm trying to recreate the lighthouse design from this site: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/minecraft-piston-lighthouse/

By following the picture, I can make the bottom of the lighthouse to work, as it should be identical to the top, but I can't figure out how to get the current to go up to the top, not to mention where to place the button that starts the entire thing.
I think the video attached blast through the wiring too quickly, so that doesn't exactly help me.

Has anyone built this thing and could post some pictures of the workings?
Keep in mind that this is my very first redstone project, so keep words like flip-flops, T-switches and stuff like that light, okay?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I see them, but I have a hard time visualizing where in the whole circuit they fit.

I may just have to watch it a couple of times, trying to wrestle its secrets from it.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Insanity Prawn posted:

There shouldn't really be any complex wiring for this. I whipped these up quickly, hopefully it helps. for the bottom layer:

The button can go wherever really, as long as it leads into that bottom corner and the dirt steps on the side, are how you get the redstone to the next floor.

The next floors pretty much the same:

The wire comes in from the same side it did on the bottom floor, via the steps.

I tried this out and it seemed to work fine for me.

Edit: I just noticed I'm missing one piece of redstone between the two repeaters on the far left, but by the sounds of things, you already had that part of the wiring down anyway. (also two of my pistons in the second picture are facing the wrong way :shobon:)

Thanks for this. It was nice to see that my layout was right. I fiddled a bit with it and now it works!
Now I just need to put a cap on the lighthouse and I got myself a nice lighthouse.

Plotz is a way nicer method of making buildings than my normal method (aka. plopping down blocks in a square and hope it doesn't look too much like poo poo.)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

A Sassy Dog posted:

http://pigtales.minecraft.net/957a3afd383a40a58c51119947a24fb5

I am a humorless fun hater
That one is funnier than it has any rights to be.

My own try at it
http://pigtales.minecraft.net/92600e7598db437d8245a374c70cb151

Iacen fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 22, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Honestly, I'm more concerned about the hunger gauge mentioned in that IGN article. Having to top off the Hunger gauge before you can heal? No more frantic pieces of pork in the middle of a skeleton battle?

gently caress that.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

A Sassy Dog posted:

I hope that Shadow of Israphel or possibly the next season of Minecraft, a Yogscast series picks up some story arc[s] with the dwarf city they're about to visit in the next episode of Israphel (Irondeep? Deepiron? Deepholm? Holmdeep? I'm getting things mixed up. :saddowns:) and maybe the Skylords. Perhaps something war-related or more complex than the good-vs-evil story we have in Israphel. It'd also be sick if their new Skylord titles would come with airships a la the custom airship mod instead of just goggles - don't get me wrong, the goggles are great, too.

I'm sure that SoI will do all kinds of nifty things, if they can find the mods that support it. It blew my mind when they suddenly hauled out planes and flew to Skyholm.

If they could find some cool digging mod for Dwergholme, it would be the bee's knees. Like that mod that would lift an entire chunk of blocks and refine it. That was awesome!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

toggle posted:

So here it is, after 5 months and recovering from a corrupted save I've finally finished this prick of a map.

It's called the The Return and will be my last adventure map. 4eva

Send an email to Hannah, Simon or Lewis of the Yogscast pronto. I need to see this.

(This is the closest I ever get to playing adventure maps myself:shobon: )

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Really, with the portals which is really magic, I'd like arcane stuff like that. Instead of using Redstone to fuel sperging, you could create patterns with it and use it for fueling dark rituals.

Great, now I'll have to head to the Minecraft Forums to see if there's a mod that does that:/

(Great set of pictures, thoug! :3: )

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

You might have seen it, but the Yogscast did a teleconference at PAX, which is now on youtube. I always find such behind the scenes stuff really interesting, so I'm having fun watching them.
http://youtu.be/LXB00OkNHEQ

Edit: Oh god, the panel questions:gonk:

Iacen fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 6, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

bout it flautist posted:

With the oceans now, we need the coral reef mod in the game. And mermaid dungeons. :cool:

If KodaichiZero haven't made a mermaid mod yet, it can't be for lack of trying.

But I'd love it if it was easier and more attractive to explore the sea. Underwater castles and ruins, shipwrecks and perhaps rare blocks that only spawn underwater.

Man, I really should learn java. I'd make awesome mods:downs:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Dungeons and Strongholds would really benefit from better loot. Risking your life for two bits of string, an apple and a pile of sulphur just doesn't seem worth it.
Perhaps in the strongholds have some sort of rule, that dictates the farther down, the better loot? That would make it more interesting.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

What a shithead. Now I almost feel like making an account and calling him out.

(Not that I'm going to. The MC forums are one of the places on the internet I've promised myself I've never signing up for.)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

That mushroom cow made me think of a HP Lovecraft inspired short story, about a mushroom expedition to the mysterious country of Leng, located somewhere near Tibet.

Sufficient to say, the expedition goes tits up and nobody survives. Why does a cow with a mushroom on its head remind me of that?
I'll just say "Cordyceps" and leave it at that :gonk:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'm looking forward to snowmen. I'd edit the skin and make myself an army of Calvin & Hobbes-esque snow monstroseties!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Kassad posted:

Actually... Notch just tweeted this:

What does this mean? Is there some Adventure Mode in 1.9 or do we have to wait for 1.10?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I'd appreciate a combination of potions and proper abilities. Isn't that what the XP bar would lead to, some passive or active abilities for the player character?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Via related, I thought this looked really cool. It's a piston-train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzzxS_MP8sQ

See, this is the reason I won't do anything involving redstone. At all. Pistons, doors... whatever. It seems to me there should be a much easier, not spergy way to make cool things in Minecraft.

I mean, it's neat and I'd love a train like that, but build it? gently caress, no!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So I'm watching the survival island playthrough Simon and Lewis did (I never watched it back when it came out).

Simon setting up the torches to spell "HELP" in LOWER CASE LETTERS was loving hilarious.

I went through all the Minecraft videos for a second time a couple of weeks ago and I'm still amused. What actually blew my mind a bit was Lewis saying something like "It starts of simple and then it becomes complicated" during one of the first videos. I don't know if the Israphel twist was planned at that stage, but that comment mirrored how the series progressed.

I know the humour is not in everyone's taste (God knows it has brought up enough derails in the past) but I still appreciate the technical side of the videos. The landscapes, buildings and locations are really well done and serve as a great scene of the two.

I'm sorry if this suddenly turned into gushing, but yeah v:shobon:v

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Retro42 posted:

Is it just me or is it just a sprite layer positioned in the middle of a block? Possibly a new portal type?

It looks strictly 2D too, with no thickness. It would be an awesome portal effect. Or just to create random rips in the time-space continuum...

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

DrApple posted:

Hey guys, I just generated a new world in 1.9 prerelease 3.
I don't think my world is supposed to look like this.

Post the seed and see if you can replicate it!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Emong posted:

Am I the only one who sees "Eye of The Ender" and thinks of some sort of lovecraftian god of endermen?

drat, now I want so bad giant Endermen that floats around in the void, beings that you really shouldn't get the attention of.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Metajo Cum Dumpster posted:

Having a blast playing the Technic Pack.

Check out my quaint little mountain village! It's growing so fast!

STOP HOARDING THE CIDER!

I spent the day yesterday flooding a village in lava. A very soothing experience!

Man, all the stuff with Ender-Eyes, new portals and stuff really makes me wanna play 1.9. It looks like it would make the vanilla game so much more interesting, and I can't wait to see where those portals lead!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Enzer posted:

Notch just tweeted this then deleted the tweet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehlpLRrwojo

Man, I hope that's what happens if you toy around too much with the new dimension. Eternal night and tons of Ender-Men.
Or it should borrow abit from the Grey Goo mod and have dark Ender-matter spread slowly like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7fjxt6LzE&feature=related

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

limited posted:

Holy crap. That's a WMD of Minecraft right there. :staredog:

I can't find the original videos, but this Grey Goo has (had?) different modes, iirc. One would just eat dirt, one would eat organic stuff and the last one would eat everything. Stone, dirt, sand... Didn't matter, everything would go.

It would make a neat challenge map, perhaps. Or a bitching Yogscast ModSpotlight, I guess.

Fake edit: I found the original videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smB5ukYNYaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ7fjxt6LzE&feature=related

And the mod, which sadly haven't been updated since march: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/200219-v13-01-mads-minecraft-advanced-destruction-system-01/

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

RedXII posted:

I want a special edition of the yogscast with Simon and Lewis reading this letter in the voices they do. Like they used to with the minecraft forums posts.

Yeah, that would rule. Indeed, what I do miss from the Yogscast in Mod Spotlights on terrible mods, like that Charlotte, coupled with Simon doing his best Internet Retard (DO NOT STEAL!) impersonation.

Edit: And I would imagine it would be easy to see if Notch has stolen anything, but comparing it to whatever the sperg called his mod.

Iacen fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 11, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Apparently Notch stole everything from this mod: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/391995-166-potioncraft-v02-updated-jun-21-witches/

Which judging from the screenshots have even worse graphics sprites than what Notch has created.
But then again, the effect of the Enchanting table is so pretty, I've almost forgiven Notch of the horrible, eye cancer inducing cobblestone.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Fire posted:

That sounds brilliant. Can you link the yogscast guys reading forum posts?

This is the first one they did, I think. It's the creepy Charlotte companion mod, made by KodaichiZero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJbIGYmjLmM

The forum post reading is in the end of that video.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Those animations are quite fantastic and unlike anything I'd imagine seeing in Minecraft.
As far as I can deduce, Endersand must be "immune" to the dragon. That, or the Ender will resemble a swiss cheese.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

OurLivesOnline posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys need to see this.

I'm not sure I feel confident enough to use an installer client from the MC forums. But holy hell, it looks good.

But I know I'd love a Yogscast playthrough. For once, Lewis' skin would be appropriate for the map:allears:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

redmercer posted:

Also enjoy a Minecraft... game show? :wth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeKdjnNjgEY

I'm sad to say, that I was actually entertained by this. It's a good idea and design is well done.
It reminds me of that Yogsolympic videos, with pig rodeo and such the Yogscast made recently. I think I'll watch the next ones also.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

From the Twitter of Notch:

Notch posted:

One month until MineCon. Code freeze today. Chances of me actually finishing the boss fight today: 4%
He later clarifies that it was Feature freeze.

I'm slightly intrigued about the boss fight he talks about.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Your way is definitely cooler.

Also I love the skeleton face moon. The first thing I thought of when they mentioned separate graphics for the different moon phases was some sort of monstrous beast or face that grew placid and enraged as the phases changed.

A giant eye in the sky that slowly blinks. At least, that's what I'd make if I had an inkling of artistic talent.

And that Creeper'ed Out comic is adorable. I really love cute Creepers and Creepers in general!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I can't remember if the last one was posted in the Modding thread or this one, but that Ultimate Miner "gameshow" have updated with a new video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZv4YKlSh4

I think it is very interesting. (And yes, I'd love to see someone like the Yogscast try to tackle it)

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Here with 1.8 out (shut up, I'm slow) I'm looking for a new neat map for my server.

Are there any really cool seeds? I looked at the PYF Minecraft seed, but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'd like it if there is a combination of cool mountains, flat areas for building, a NPC village, perhaps, and if there is a nearby Stronghold, it would not be a bad thing.

I've looked at Macbeth and while the strange mountains almost at spawn are really great, it's lacking in the other parts, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

This is interesting: Yogscast: credit us for Minecraft's success

I'd read that article, but I'm pretty sure I won't get that issue of Edge, due to some subscribtion issues (I didn't pay).

If someone does get to read that article, I'd love a brief summary:)