Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Bah, the furnace crashes and the item spawn glitches are making the pre-release a chore to play, I think I'm just gonna wait for the official release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Anybody got any good hard seeds for 1.8? I find myself generating worlds until I get the same rough kind of setup every time (cliff fortress! :black101:) and I think I need to challenge myself a little.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Works fine for me, better than 1.8PR1 in fact.

andyf posted:

Guys I think I am being incredibly dense here, but I cleared out all the minecraft files on my server, dropped the 1.8 server jar there and loaded up, set some whitelisted players.. and no-one can break blocks.

Is there some default option I have to set to let people build? There's nothing in server.properties about it.

Try setting online mode to false in server.properties, it happens sometimes when the authentication server is being screwy.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Master Twig posted:

Is this really what happens now? Kill off animals in an area and they're gone forever?

No, I'm pretty sure he's just loving with you.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I wish they'd add a diving helmet you can craft with glass and iron or something. Ocean biomes are kind of wasted when you can't really do anything with them.

E: I just spotted what looks like an underwater ravine in suavebaby too.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 14, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Anybody have a seed that spawns you in the middle of a giant desert?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Shnakepup posted:

Girls, girls...you're both pretty.

Anyway, I saw that Notch tweeted a few hours ago about snow. Does that mean snow biomes are fixed (i.e. appearing) again? Has anyone pre-gen'ed a huge map to check?

Tundra biomes are out until 1.9 far as I know.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I've always been overrun with pigs, chickens, sheep and cows when I first start a world but they definitely thin out the longer I play. However, I tend to get renewable food sources up and running really fast so it's never been an issue for me.

You can easily get a good wheat farm going within the first couple of day/night cycles, and a lot of the pre-genned villages have huge farms already built, so food is more accessible than it's ever been now.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ChewyLSB posted:

So since it looks like 1.9 is going to change the number of Strongholds that can spawn, does that mean that we're going to have to restart worlds again in 1.9?

Jeb mentioned on twitter before the release that 1.9 will require new generation as well.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
^^^^ gently caress. :argh:

Baronjutter posted:

Am I retarded and illiterate or is it ever explained how you guys are getting chickens IN your chicken farms? Are animals persistent now or something? Reproduce? Some method of getting them to spawn in your chicken farm?

Throwing an egg has a 1/8 chance to spawn a chicken and an even smaller chance to spawn multiple chickens.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Do the NPCs actually do anything or do they just mill around being all...villager-like?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Have you tried just emailing Mojang and seeing if it's something they can do?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

canyon.mid posted:

So the new snowmen are fun

Look at how unhappy it is. Jerk. :mad:

The Snark posted:

Bloody hell, any idea why I can't seem to get this 1.9 update? I've attempted forced updates, it remains at 1.8.

It's not officially released yet, you have to download the pre-release files and manually install it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Walliard posted:

You can't hold down space to keep jumping anymore. According to jeb, it's deliberate.

I never knew you could do this, so I guess I can't lose what I never had! :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
At least give us a way to breathe underwater (and a lamp or something for light) so ocean floors can actually be explored. I have seen ravines in the depths but they're basically useless down there.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Orv posted:

A bit late, but what map renderer is this?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hot drat, this is exactly what this game needs

Yeah, I'd love to see the ability to set the world height and depth as an option during worldgen. Minecraft's worlds have always felt a little flat to me, even with the new worldgen code the sky ceiling is still way too low.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 26, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
If we're gonna do a redstone wishlist thing: add a programmable repeater that you can set for a delay between 1 and 60 seconds (to 1 decimal place), but make it much more expensive to craft than a regular repeater. Having to do 30-repeater chains or set up water-based workarounds to achieve 10+ second delays is inefficient. :argh:

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 26, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Get iron armor and stop giving a poo poo about getting hit by anything. v:shobon:v

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ThndrShk2k posted:

Ocean Biomes don't spawn edible animals as far as I know. Or the chance to spawn one is astronomically low.

Well, there's always fish.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Did you switch it to peaceful by mistake?

In theory you could explore far enough to get out of the ocean biome, locate a bunch of chickens, collect as many egg as possible, then return and use them to spawn chickens at your farm.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ThndrShk2k posted:

On the other maps did you run everywhere instead of walk, jump, and explore/be active?

Hard to be active on tiny islands.

Unless your tiny island has a horrible twisting labyrinth of caves below it. :gonk:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's just too big to try to be feasible.

It's too big to be feasible. It's not too big to try. :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Maybe that's how much time you have to spend jumping before it levels up again?

Fuego Fish posted:

Time makes sense for speed and holding your breath, but jumping and strength less so. That is, unless it denotes a cooldown, or possibly a maximum limit. You can only jump once every 6.34 seconds, perhaps.

I doubt it, because that would be loving terrible.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Why are we assuming that those are timers for potions and not some part of the exp/levelling system? Speculation itt.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

A Sassy Dog posted:

Just found this on my 1.8 Creative server, on the lockdown with a whitelist and e'rything.

I.. did lightning do this? There's a fireplace made with netherrack, but if there had been any spread it would have been across the wood floor in front of it - which is intact.

Could it be that lightning struck and then the rain stopped.. so it couldn't extinguish the fire?

Lightning can do that, yeah.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Pistons destroy pressure plates, so that won't work.

E: Found something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0_d7udNcQ0&feature=player_embedded

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 27, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
He edited that in after I posted. :argh:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I wonder if they're ever going to make water behave more realistically.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I dig large holes all the way to bedrock and then lure creepers and unsuspecting players into them. :haw:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

CapnBry posted:

Work and fun don't mix, unless you're a clown.

Is there any official way to elevate something? I seem to have a problem where all my machines start below ground and have output of some resource but I want to live on the surface, a surface uncluttered with machinery. So is there a way to build an actual freight elevator using a minecart or something? It doesn't have to go straight up, just be able to transport something that falls into it back to the surface.

You could use a minecart rail system but you would have to go down to your machines, fill up the cart manually and then send it on its way. If you're using Industrialcraft or whatever it is, couldn't you in theory have the machines below and just run a mega-length pipe up to the output on the surface?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

AlexDeGruven posted:

Have the empty minecart into which things are supposed to fall sitting on a stone pressure plate. Place a piston on one side (wired to the pressure plate), and a powered booster rail on the other, with a solid block behind.

That should trigger the piston to fire when something lands in the cart, launching the cart along the rail.

There might be some fuckery you'd have to do with things to get it working, but that should get the general idea.

In fact. I'm about to go to lunch, so I'll try and build something that might work.

This won't work for a lot of reasons.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Loving Life Partner posted:

Did they speed up skeleton arrows in 1.9? They're loving deadly snipers now

Do people just not bother with armor anymore? With a full set of iron I can stand next to a creeper while it explodes on normal and take virtually no damage, and hard mode doesn't jack up the damage by much at all. I guess in the early game when you're still working with stone tools and iron hasn't come into the picture I could see skeletons and such being a threat, but once you build up a decent iron supply enemies become more of an annoyance and a source of certain items than an actual danger.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Abandoned mines are the worst, because the generation for them is completely spastic and ends up with mineshafts over open air and overlapping tunnels that branch off each other seemingly endlessly. I like them as a feature, but they need to work on how they're generated. The layout should resemble how an actual mine would be laid out, instead of some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

Mines and strongholds are at least a start to making the underground more interesting. I'm hoping they focus on things like this to flesh out the core of the game a little more, instead of silly things like snowmen that are a fun little addition but add no practical depth to the game.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 28, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

MMAgCh posted:

I like to think they were excavated by the wonderfully :downswords: mobs from very early Minecraft versions.

Holy poo poo, that's loving hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried. Notch should add that NPC behaviour back in and randomly have villages spawn with an "insane" flag that makes all the villagers do that.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
How would you do it, though? There's no way to just put poo poo together and have it magically work the way you want it to. Redstone isn't some spergy bullshit, it's a good logical method for creating all kinds of ridiculously elaborate systems.

Granted, it does have some silly limitations due to the block system and the way it works (making hiding redstone wiring a huge pain in the rear end unless you plan for it from the start, among other things), but it's easily one of the best features of Minecraft.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 28, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I encourage everyone I play with to create things with redstone, because that development cycle of "holy gently caress how does this poo poo work?">"holy gently caress, it WORKS!">"holy gently caress, I can make it so much more EFFICIENT!" has got to be one of the most satisfying things you can do in the game. I always have some frankenstein of a mega-project going with redstone because it's a genuine challenge.

Plus, sometimes you get the satisfaction of bringing somebody new to Minecraft into your world, showing them all this fancy automated stuff with all the circuitry hidden from plain sight, and watching their heads explode as they try and figure out how that train station or whatever you made actually works.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

TalonDemonKing posted:

I kinda don't like the idea of only 'X strongholds per map'; though. Anyone else feel the same?

Yep, they should be a randomly generated feature like anything else. X per map means that you could play for months and potentially never see one.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah, I'm not arguing that it's a perfect system that needs no improvement. It definitely needs ways to miniaturize circuits (maybe some kind of crafting table where you can combine components to make a chip?) and the workarounds you have to use to get redstone wire to go places are a pain in the rear end thanks to the way blocks interact with each other.

Of course it's not going to be intuitive if you jump right in and start trying to throw down XOR gates and all kinds of advanced poo poo all over the place. You have to start small and understand how it works before you start messing with logic gates and memory cells.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I remember once looking up a guide on how to get double-doors to open on a pressure plate using redstone. I took one look at it and decided I'd rather just live with single doors.

It's not as hard as you think it is.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah we're basically just stupid luddites not smart enough to understand what's an obvious and intuitive system.

I'm not claiming it's intuitive, because it's not. It actually requires putting a little effort into it to learn it.

Demitri Omni posted:

The biggest thing that I wish Notch would finesse regarding redstone-related stuff is the delays related to repeaters. I want to have longer possible delays, and it seems like the delays are capped no matter how many I chain.

A repeater that brought up a prompt you could type a number (in seconds) into to set the delay would be a loving godsend. I know Redpower has one, but I like playing the 1.9 pre-release and Notch & Co are updating so fast that modmakers have no time to put out new versions. :(

Vatek fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 28, 2011