Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm over halfway through my CS degree, by the way. If anything RedPower is less spergy because it actually does the sensible thing and puts all the common gates in one block, and lets you put wires on any surface or as blocks floating in midair, complete with covers to hide the wiring. It's much more sensible.

I wish Notch would cut a deal with the Redpower guy and just integrate the mod into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

poemdexter posted:

twitter is blocked at work. What is this?

Notch is taking a vacation after Minecon. Not really sure why he put a trollface in there.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Amaritudo posted:

Is there a way to make the animals a little less "frisky" once you pen them up? It's pretty hard to keep them in place when they immediately try to hump the poo poo out of you the minute you step in.

Don't have food in your hands when you walk in?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Vinigre posted:

I'm guessing that one of the new features will be world types. The other is probably to make single-player and multi-player work off the same code so that changes and mods are easier to make.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess sandmen and dirtmen.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
^^ T Flip-flops are too loving complicated. :colbert:

Alaan posted:

Quick redstone question: I want to have a circuit turn on from just a detector rail briefly going on and for that circuit to stay on. How can I do that?

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuit
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/c/cf/StandardLogicGates.png

You need an RS NOR latch.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I have yet to find a single diamond block in my current world. My hoard of exactly 7 diamonds has all come from mine/monster spawner chests.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Schwarzwald posted:

When my house is no longer attached to the ground I cease referring to it as a house.
It is then a "mobile base of operations."

I use a strictly defined set of terminology when referring to Minecraft. Here, let me just post this 745 kB txt file detailing them all.

I wish flying houses could be made mobile.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Baby cow with freakishly large head spotted.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Oh, I have no doubt. I just imagined a world full of bobblehead baby cows and laughed. :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
You missed some coal back there. :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
A diamond sword and an iron will. You know what must be done.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
It's dark and there's sparkly white/blue bits...maybe the cave leads into spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace. :haw:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Macaluso posted:

I like that. It's like Terminator's arm!

Make it do a thumbs-up. :v:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I am pretty sure that's heavily pixelated sand.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The vast majority of the Minecraft audience are people who know very little about computing and file systems and such. Even asking to use MC Patcher is a huge deal and way more work than they're willing to put up with. Having an in-game mod browser and installer would be the way to get everyone into modding.

I honestly don't know why they don't put in an option to enable HD texture support natively instead of having to use a mod to allow it. Probably something to do with java memory allocation.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I don't get that video. It says "why Ender Dragons won't spawn in the main world" but it should say "why Ender Dragons will spawn in the main world".

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Hit F3 in-game and look at Minecraft's memory usage. It allocates 989mb by default, if you're constantly near that limit due to the size of your world or whatever you might want to look into using a .bat file to start MC with a higher memory limit in Java.

32-bit OS means you've only got 3.5gb total to play with though, so don't overdo it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Have you tried any of the 1.9 pre-releases to see if it helps?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
You can already recess chests into walls, you just can't stack chests vertically.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
No, you can put a block on top of the chest, although with the chests being animated now the lid clips into the block, but that's a minor problem at best since you'll be looking at the chest interface anyway.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
That's normal for a laptop. Minecraft is surprisingly performance intensive and laptops have poor heat management.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Last time I used it was in 1.8 so they might have fixed it if it was a bug. I just tested in 1.9pre2 though and it still works with glass, slabs or stairs.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Greedish posted:

Your post just made me think of something - my friends and I have started doing 2v2 minecraft battles, with each pair hiding out somewhere and attacking each other. Are there any competitive adventure/themed maps for something like that? It could be really fun! Thanks in advance.

May I suggest Ace of Spades?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Siets posted:

So how are you going to do the elevator? :colbert:

There is a piston elevator but it only works one way.

My guess? Stairs. Lots of stairs.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I've been wishing that they would add more metal types for a while now. Increase the depth of the world, maybe make some ores biome-specific and add in a bunch of types like copper/tin/bronze/mithril or whatever/steel that can all be used for different things and maybe have different effects when used for armor/tools/weapons.

The equipment side of the game has always felt too simplistic.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Diamond is pretty goddamn rare in any 1.9 world I've made. I haven't actually found a deposit in my current one after a lot of hours spent digging and strip mining near bedrock, the only ones I've found have been in abandoned mine chests.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I play FPS games religiously and I do pick/sword because the pick is my most used tool and I want the sword to be quick to select. I don't use the bow much, mostly for farming gunpowder off creepers. Then again, my current world is on a relatively small island with nary a chicken in sight so arrows are pretty hard to come by.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Is there any way out of The End yet? Kinda have a save stuck there on hardcore mode. Didn't really think this through properly.

I thought I read that you have to jump into the void to leave it.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I will not fall for your tricks. <:mad:>

Well, I did read it. http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Upcoming_features :shobon:

The actual entry for The End says that there's no way to leave currently unless you're on an SMP server with the capability to spawn items, but the "Upcoming Features" list says to throw yourself into the void to exit. Whether some idiot just put that there to troll people or if that's how it's actually going to work, though, I have no idea.

You should totally try it, what's the worst that could happen? :haw:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I don't think it ever will be finalized. There's always creative new biomes (like the mushroom one) that can be added or changes to the code to create better terrain features. I'd actually be pretty disappointed if they just slapped a "finished!" label on the worldgen in general and never touched it again.

I just assume that every major release is gonna require new worldgen to get the most out of it unless you are REALLY economical on generating chunks in your existing world. Haven't been wrong yet.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2011

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

TOOT BOOT posted:

It would be nice if there were something like a modding API announced, though. Mods can fix everything wrong with the base game but it's hard to get them to play nice together because support is hacked in.

Built-in support for high-res textures and maybe some kind of option in the launcher to increase memory allocation would be neat too (assuming that's even possible and not something that has to be done at Java runtime).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
A giant creeper that explodes at 10x the power of a regular creeper. :gonk:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

redmercer posted:

Only if it sends regular creepers spraying everywhere when it does.

And the regular ones explode into mini-creepers. Huh, I think we've just created the Matryoshka doll from hell.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I still think they should make silverfish spawn everywhere, not just strongholds. Then again, that may lead to some kind of apocalyptic nightmare scenario where the population multiplies exponentially and every block is silverfish.

E: Okay apparently they do occur very rarely but I've never seen one outside of a stronghold.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

prahanormal posted:

This would be a good point if Terraria didn't exist and the app didn't play exactly like it. As it stands the creator is ripping off two different teams at the same time. :haw:

Also wasn't Notch talking about bringing the portible Minecraft to iOS anyway?

There's a difference between making a game that borrows heavily from the concept of Minecraft and making a game that literally borrows art assets from Minecraft.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

bout it flautist posted:

Get some friends to all wrap themselves in masking paper and go as Scrolls

Or bring your parents dressed the same way and go as the Elder Scrolls.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Narciss posted:

Haha :notch: you beautiful bastard http://notch.tumblr.com/post/12597070416/zing

On a more relevant note, who else is excited for Minecraft's release tomorrow? Its pretty cool that by tomorrow Minecraft will have no more bugs and will be a polished work of art. I mean, its been in beta 2.5 years, I'm sure they've got all the problems ironed out.

Did you build a functioning time machine? The official release is on the 18th and today is the 10th. :raise:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Narciss posted:

I thought he was doing an 11/11/11 release? I bet Bethesda is glad he changed the date, I wouldn't want to be releasing Skyrim against a game like Minecraft.

I don't know where you read that, but it's been announced for months now that the official release will coincide with Minecon and it runs from the 18th-19th.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

badomen posted:

One of Jeb's tweets said you wouldn't be able to sleep with monsters outside because of their constant moaning.

New crafting recipe: earplugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

A Sassy Dog posted:

http://p.twimg.com/Ad9quNlCQAEdpu4.jpg

Dual wielding confirmed for release.

Now they just need to put in shields. :(