Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Boat posted:

That said, here's a screen shot of where a chasm intersects an abandoned mine. I think I've got about half the mine explored, next, the chasm. That's going to be a hoot.
I returned to Minecraft yesterday after staying away from it for months after hearing about the update which brings the chasms and the Endermen. So far I have only managed to mine a cave in which I survived the first night, so I haven't seen the new features yet. I have to ask then, does anything... happen in the game? Is there anything else to explore than "here's a new room/space, it looks like this, proceed forward".

If only Minecraft were combined with Dwarf Fortress, it would be the perfect game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Okay, I was expecting something like that. I think just exploring is fun sometimes. What additions are probably coming then? Any stuff that adds liveliness in the game? Right now it's only a bunch of animals roaming around at day and creepers at night.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Insurrectum posted:

They question of "Why did he bother to do that using redstone in Minecraft? What a sperg :rolleyes:. And a waste of time :smug:" is a stupid one. Why do you do anything in minecraft? Why don't you build a real house, instead of wasting your time on your little virtual block hut? Why don't you start a real garden instead of farming cyber-wheat, you silly baby? Why don't you go down to Michael's and buy some real crafting materials and develop a hobby that might actually be worth something, you dumb nerd?

:smug:
This is actually why I have never played for more than an hour despite that I've launched Minecraft several times. Yes, it's a great procedural world creator and simulator, Notch. Now could you please add something that would make my actions have any significance whatsoever?

I keep returning to Minecraft for its huge potential and always turned down because of the lack of its fulfillment.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

glitchwraith posted:

Would you mind explaining what kind of significance your looking for? I honestly don't see how it's lacking in that area any more than any other game, sandbox or otherwise. You survive, you create, and if you feel like it, you kill the enderdragon. It may not be much, but being able to place my personal mark on the game's world is more than enough reward for me.
Well, Dwarf Fortress gives also a procedually generated world, but it has history and NPCs who give the player quests in Adventure Mode. It wouldn't bother me even if such quests would feel generic, but they would give me a lot more to do in Minecraft. For example: world generation creates world, a bunch of places and a lot of NPCs. One of the places is a chasm somewhere in which a monster lives/a treasure is buried/someone important died. Another place is oh let's say a tavern somewhere. In that tavern is an NPC who knows about the chasm, is related to it somehow or can give a quest concerning the chasm for some other reason. I believe making such connections would not be all that difficult code-wise.

Multiplayer is an option of course, but what I'd really like is NPCs and the stuff I described.