Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

drquasius posted:

Creative mode is really really awesome. I hope someone makes a mod that allows a world to be switched back and forth between creative and survival.

I read somewhere that this was a feature they wanted to put in naturally. Gods only know where I read it. Upcoming Features on the wiki, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
A few 1.8 thoughts;

- When they said they were going to make water 'deeper' in places, I did not envision the loving Marianas Trench. :psyduck:

- You can sprint along the bottom in a pond/ocean (though you'll likely drown in these oceans by doing so), and while not exactly useful for travel, the damage boost makes harvesting squids a lot easier.

- Pigs for loving days.

- Said before, but the new torch lighting, and moonlight, add even more atmosphere to this game.

- I scoffed when pigs having 3d snouts was touted as a "feature" but it adds a certain. . . je ne sais quoi, to the little guys. Right before I harvest them for meat.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if you have too many torches in too close a proximity, the old light seems to return? It goes from nice and warm and good to look at, back to fluorescent lovely bright white. Just something that gets on my nerves.

On the topic of seeds "What Will You Give Me" spawns some very odd mountain ranges, with desert on a couple sides of a nice sort of bowl canyon with a forest to one side. Quite nice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Apparently setting ones server.properties file to "online-mode=off" allows you to skip the auth servers. So the Goon server could do that if so inclined. Just connect to the server even if it reads Offline in your list.

Fake Edit: Tested and working.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 12, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

HAL9100 posted:

I was dumb enough to try it so someone else might be too..

online-mode=false

Oh! :ohdear: Damnit, sorry about that. That was posted in haste while trying to solve an issue on the server. Never, ever, for the love of all that is holy, die once you have more than three levels. Oh god the lag. . . :suicide:

Hadlock posted:

Alternately you could push a grassy block down a 1x1 shaft where you need it to go with a single piston.

:psyboom: What. . .that. . .no wait. . .what. . .that's amazing, and I feel stupid as hell for not realizing that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wingless posted:

There is a pretty horrifying creature held at the SCP Foundation that functions a lot like this. It is large, bulky and vaguely humanoid, it is kept in a sealed room and cannot do any harm as long as someone is constantly staring at it. The instant someone isn't looking at it it will bolt across the intervening space with impossible speed and snap the neck of the nearest person.

I can't remember what number though, sorry.

Its the Ghetto Weeping Angel, 173.

I've always found small to medium sized tri-veins, or, some precious ore, some precious ore and coal all touching, but I seem to be a finding a lot more of them lately.

Also, the fact that light is now eaten underground at a certain distance, regardless of torch interval, makes the underground both a lot more atmospheric and a lot more :tinfoil:.

E: V - All godsdamned three of us. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Sep 12, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Senator Woofington posted:

What? How do you crit things?

Jump whilst attacking. It's a bit iffy, or I just have lovely coordination. Possibly both.

Not sure if sprint attacking also crits, or just knocks things extra far.

V - Hey, I didn't code the mechanic. poo poo does what it do.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 13, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wingless posted:

This Stronghold thing confuses me. When they say a max of three per map...do they mean the entire world? Because isn't each world titanic, like, bigger than the earth huge? If I start in Paris it'd be pretty lame if my three strongholds were in Mongolia, New Zealand and Argentina.

Isn't it 8X the Earth? So try more like the Moon, Nega-Earth 1 and the Kupier Belt. I'd have to agree that three per world is bit crazy. Especially if the generation algorithm for strongholds just rolls a die every time you make a new chunk, or something.

V - I think the issue here is that, if it's three strongholds per entire world, and depending on how the strongholds are generated, it could be a long time before seeing just one.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 13, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is there any way to get an interaction between chests and pistons? I want to have a chest in the floor and then move it upwards into view. I have the distinct feeling I'm screwed, but I figured I'd poll the hivemind. Cheers.

V - Ah, figures. Alright, will do that, thanks.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 13, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Sassy Dog posted:

Does anyone else have problems with Endermen? Not like, 'drat those guys gently caress my poo poo up so much!' Rather, Endermen are never hostile?

I can look straight at one in the day, at night, in a mine, in a house, with a mouse. They will not attack me, Sam I Am. :saddowns:

SimCity 2000??

Are you in SMP? If so, they be broke. If not. . .Hmm.

Orv
May 4, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Here's my village I've been working on. The train line goes out to a forest biome that I am clear felling for the insane amount of wood that this village requires.

I am stealing the hell out that fence methodology. Looks great.

The ISD Unfinished.

For a variety of reasons, from lack of resources (we admittedly cheated a bit for about half the iron shell, I'm not sure there's that much iron anywhere we can not spend 40 hours getting to) to holy shitstack it's 6AM, we decided to put a bunch of TNT cannons on it and grief anybody in a mile radius. Mostly people we don't like.

We'll finish it some day.

(I swear that ravine was there before. . .)

V - You have no idea how much I want that to be the reality of this thing. Hell, if the Zepplin mod works with any free-floating construction I might have to do it in single-player anyway.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 19, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm finding that a 2-wide, 4-deep moat with a raised edge on the side you don't want them being does in Endermen pretty well.

.......D -> Town
DWWD
DWWD
DWWD
DWWD

Basically. (D=Dirt, W=Water. Replace materials as you see fit.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, I posted the ISD Unfinished last night, so it's only appropriate that I show how much free time I have by posting the ISD Iolkos tonight. I decided to forget about even trying to mine the materials for it, hopped on a creative server and went to work. Also scaled it up by about 45%.

There are so many things wrong with it, so many things I wish I could change about how Minecraft worked. I wish I had some artistic talent so I could make the black wool texture look like I want instead of relying on the weird torch scheme. I'm probably being too hard on myself, but it could definitely be better.

The obligatory shot;

Various angles;

And finally, a shot from the nose of a cool little X-Wing someone build nearby.

The thing that bothers me most? It's short two turbo-laser turrets. I am such a nerd.

Orv fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 20, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
For kicks I decided to try loading the x512 Sphax texture pack. OOM error the moment it loaded. :allears: Back to my lowly x256.

I demand people come up with a fully automated Chicken Purger that cycles out chickens every half hour. I don't care if the repeater cycle has to be a mile long, do it!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taffer posted:

A bunch of loving :words: about loving textures.

Oh, hmm. That's actually quite good, I'll give that a try, along with your server a bit later. Cheers!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm alright with that particular change. Finding random cobble was always jarring and hideous.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, I'm in for a cold in the next couple hours here I think, so I've decided to do something stupid. Remember my artists rendition of an Imperial Star Destroyer? Yeah. . .

The Iolkos clocks in at 105 blocks long. This was 600 before I put the tail on, so it's now probably more like 640-660ish. The Iolkos is down there at the bottom left for comparison. I have clearly taken leave of my faculties.

I actually had a low 200-something block Executor started, got the sides and the bottom done, and then realized "Godsdamnit, this is only twice as big as the other one."

I'll be back later. . .

Much later. After I loving sleep.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is this just how maps generate now? It's really beautiful.

It is! An already oddly (wonderful) beautiful game now actually is more so. It's kind of distressing, really. I walk over a hill and go "Damnit, I'd live here" more often now than ever before. And it was pretty frequent before.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What system/program are you using to map this with?

No clue! I'll ask our resident tech guy for that community and get back to you on that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

runsamok posted:

I believe it's dynmap (https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/wiki). It's what I use on my little server. Really nice maps, dynamic updates so you can watch people build stuff, web to game chat, realtime lighting (so it's night when the server is night and day when the server is day), weather, the works. All on an internal web server (or it'll dump stuff somewhere else for you) It's awesome. Best thing ever for Bukkit servers.

Thiiiiis. . .appears to be correct. I won't give you the 100% confirmation because I don't know personally, but it lines up with what we have (https://idlemc.com:8000/ is our map page) so it's a safe bet. I'll probably have an answer by tomorrow morning at the latest, so I'll just add a confirmation to this post when I get it.

E: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/misc-dynmap-v0-22-1-realtime-minecraft-maps-1060.489/

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 25, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Notch posted:

If you hold food in your hand, they follow you around. If you feed them, they enter "love mode". Two animals in love mode = babies.

So apparently breeding involves cannibalism if certain conditions are met. Fantastic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Have you seen the default texture pack?

I try to forget it exists. I still have nightmares.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Suddenly, a better discussion than anything the actual Skyrim thread could produce.

Godsdamned Endermen stole an essential block from my railway. Why is this block essential? Because without it, I plummet from 40 blocks above sea-level to bedrock. Maybe building a minecart track over my mineshaft was a bad idea. . .

(How did they even get up here? :psyduck:)

Orv
May 4, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Their teleport pearls are more than arguing the point of their existence.

Their what? Did I miss the pearls suddenly doing something in 1.9?

V - Ah, had a look around. That's. . .pretty cool. I assume they're thrown in the manner of eggs/snowballs and not vomiting items.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 28, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

A placeable compass would also be nice, to be used in conjunction with boat and airship mods.

...I guess it wouldn't be much use in a house.

What, your house is attached to the ground? :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vatek posted:

I wish flying houses could be made mobile.

Zeppelin mod. :ssh: (There are of course, certain limitations.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 30, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
What's with the crazy pillar array, Rasputin?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaiter posted:

This is a thing we made. It features chickens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYY2oYHXasE

The racket is hellish in there!

(I'm sure there's some fowl related pun I'm missing here.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 3, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

What a fowl racket?

. . .Yes. I'm bad at puns. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Lamer posted:

Endalf the Long rolls for initiative.

:allears: That is the best thing. Well done sir.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone have a good snow-heavy seed for 1.8.1? I know there was one in the last 40-ish pages but uh, yeah.

V - Oh drat, I could have sworn... :smith: Alright, thanks.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 6, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

However, if you feel inclined to switch over to 1.9 PR2, I've discovered two seeds that spawn gargantuan snow biomes. The first is Smuggler's Bung, which was marginally larger than a previous snow seed. The other one is Recipe 1, which is the largest snow biome I've discovered so far.

Ah, yes, Smuggler's Bung. I remembered it being something viscerally odd. Cheers!

Orv
May 4, 2011
That underground corridor with the lava lightwalls is cool, very nice. Stealing that so hard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Trivia posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but what about a block that acts as a switch upon being struck by an arrow? Allows you to activate redstone contraptions from a distance. I actually don't care about redstone in any capacity, but I think it could open interesting avenues.

Anyone with a twitter account care to tweet that to Notch?

A common trick of a friend and I on older, open to anyone servers (about 1.6-ish?) was to have a ledge in front of our inevitable giant window. Since fishing poles can trigger pressure plates, we'd have the ledge unreachable by normal means, but we could have the plate there. Neat little door switch. Fairly effective, when most players are 12 years old and imbeciles. Though I suppose that's redundant.

V - Why? Why is it close? Why does it matter? You're using a texture pack you like anyway, if you're not crazy.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 14, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Mining with a gold pick makes smooth stone?

Wait what? No, surely not...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kortel posted:

I doesn't, a friend got some info mixed with a SMP server.

Thank the gods. It feels like every time I visit this thread, my entire Minecraft paradigm is utterly rocked. Nice to escape that for once.

What am I saying, that's what's great about this thread. Still, I thought I'd learned everything there was to know about vanilla Minecraft. :unsmith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 16, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've been pulling the shattered moon out of Painterly and using it in my other packs for a good while now. Always liked it. Different, I suppose.

Orv
May 4, 2011

KM Scorchio posted:

Got bored waiting for the Minecon release. Started building Minas Tirith in MCEdit, still lots to do but it's coming along ok. Think I'll find a huge mountain to stick it up against next.

That's only 6 tiers! :argh: Very nice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I've built my house on the intersection of 3 biomes: forest, mountains and desert. I watch the endermen at night from behind the safety of my glass windows, as they playfully toy with their blocks like the lost souls of children, jittering in and out of existence as if mocking the very fabric of reality itself.

I've seen them alone and in groups of four, maybe five - sometimes they come from the desert; other times I see them walking down the mountains. Most of the time I see them in the forest, half-shapes flitting between the trees like the shadows of a flickering candle.

Although I know they can't see me behind my glass, I still cannot bear to look directly at them.

:golfclap:

The cubism of Minecraft is causing problems with creating a large crashed ship that's cracked in half. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Boat posted:

I'd suggest keeping the front half upright & "beached" with the balk half broken off and at a 45 degree downward angle. That way you can make liberal use of wooden stairs to sort of smooth out the upper surfaces and keep them walkable.

This is partially what I'm doing. The front is partially beached (yay, artistic furrows) but what's catching me up is the cubist perspective of the ship being at a ~15 angle. I've got it stepping down across some dirt for the first bit of the front half which looks pretty good, but it feels like I could be doing things better. Especially since the inside decks are a bit of a pain to navigate.

I'm thinking I may have to shatter it more to make it functional as a house (the original intent) and not such a bitch to putter about in. The back half I haven't even started, it being half in a swamp and half in an ocean (gently caress planning! :v:) so that'll be a whole 'nother barrel of laughs.