Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Programs & Utilities
Survival (Beta)
MCedit - versatile map editor, designed for moving blocks from one level to another.
Seed Extraction - Use this to get the seed from an already generated level.
Circle chart - A handy guide for plotting out circles and spheres.
Plotz - Online voxel sphere generator. Has models for wizard towers and observatories.
Minecraft Structure Planner - quickly and easily create a variety of structures for building in the game. Also helps with creating pixel art.
Cartograph G - Isometric map renderer. Supports rendering individual layers and filtering by block type.
Miners Need Cool Shoes Online skin editor.
Skin Edit - A tool you can use to edit your player skin.
Minutor - Interactive map renderer that allows you to view individual layers in real-time.
Minecraft Save Manager - Client for backing up saves, largely windows exclusive.
NBTEdit - You can use this to change almost anything about your save. Spawn point, health, etc.
INVEdit - You can use this to edit your inventory, subset of NBTEdit.
MCMapper - A dungeon generator!
Minetographer Map renderer that supports output to HTML, allowing you to upload to a webpage and view online, last updated for 1.5.

Creative (Classic) - :siren: Could disappear at any moment from Minecraft.net! :siren:
Isocraft - A great isometric map renderer.
OMEN - A map editor.

Redid the programs and utilities section. Also, wasn't there a flash program developed to edit your minecraft skin? I know I saw it on the last thread.

Edit: For people having trouble with redstone gates, I highly recommend TaviRider's World of Redstone as a basic view of all non-piston logic gates, as well as common door designs.

Edit 2: VVVVV That's probably it, added.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Schweinhund posted:

Thanks a lot. One request, can you remove the quote tags from your post so I can quote it and copy and paste it directly? :effort:

Edited.

Also,

Jeb posted:

I've been put on the task to continue on @notch's villages. First thing I did was give that village a well. Villages love wells.
http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/101211332061302784

Hopefully this will mean less bugs upon release.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
So Notch just (did something?) to the bedrock at the bottom of maps.

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/101319265164079104

Hope he made it a bit thinner.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Montalvo posted:

From Google+:

I really hope he follows through with that and it's included in 1.8.

Also, this thread is dying compared to the modding thread. :(

Nah, the modding thread just had a huge explosion of *drama*. I'd still expect the modding thread to be more active until 1.8 is released, though.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

It looks like jeb is remaking the buildings in npc villages.

e; VVVV Now that looks cool.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 12, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

smg77 posted:

I've been away from Minecraft since 1.6 game out so I'm way behind on everything. Is the NPC villages thing just Millenaire added to the stock game or are they doing something different with it?

Something completely different. Not much is known about the NPC's so far.

edit:

Macaluso posted:

Okay, so I set up a redstone circuit repeater... thing, and it's hooked up to pistons so that they open and close on their own. The problem is that I want the pistons to stay open longer than like one second. Help?

Screenshots? Do you want the pistons to stay on longer when you push a button, or longer when they are automatically toggled?

tinaun fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 13, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
^^^^^ He would VVVVV

Kevlar Beard posted:

I haven't actually gotten around to buying Minecraft yet, but I'd figure this would be the place to ask.

Is anyone going to be buying a copy this weekend with the b2g1 thing going on? I'd pay half of the 20 or whatever.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Fishylungs posted:

I took a flying leap, enjoy whoever is next in the Chainworld.

Abortion is yummy is next. Die quickly guys!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jervas Dudley posted:

I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Powered rails do not give much of an extra boost with long sections. Placing one every 20 or so rails gives the best constant speed. So yes, there is no benefit to long chains of boosters.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jervas Dudley posted:

Repeaters, note blocks, dyes, shears, world gen seeds, unlimited world saves, cakes, maps, leaf decay, 2 new trees, different terrain generation with underground and mountain ponds, powered and detector rails, and cookies. I started playing after the nether update so I might be missing some. Multiplayer has all the same features as singleplayer, including the nether.

Lapis lazuli ore (blue dye), sandstone, and dispensers.

Edit: Bone meal (grows plants quickly), beds, tall grass and actual weather.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

p-hop posted:

Well, I've never gotten this one before.

:haw:

Read the Rules:

Schweinhund posted:

Yes, Notch appreciates the Something Awful forums for our support of the game. Do not point out that we're mentioned sometimes in the opening message of the game! WE KNOW!!!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Master Twig posted:

I'm more concerned about how 1.8 will run multiplayer. I don't play singleplayer at all anymore. I'm hoping SMP will be a bit more optimized.

I'm also not hearing or seeing much about a height limit increase. Is that going to be in 1.8for sure? There's no feature I want more than to be able to build my buildings very tall. I know there's mods to get around that now, but the admin of the server I play on isn't going to install them.

Notch just made it easier for modders to adjust the height limit, there will not be a change in the default height settings.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Vinigre posted:

What do they do? I tried using them in-game and nothing happened that I could observe.

Don't know about the rest, but F6 and F7 control the flow of time!

e: f,b?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
seed -365659324 has an utterly amazing cave system

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Cervixalot posted:

If I remember right, they appear occasionally in NPC villages but you can't craft them yet. I'm dicking around in Creative mode which gives you access to everything.

Six iron ingots in a 2x3 formation form 16 iron bars. Replace the iron with glass for glass panes.

What effects are there from eating rotten flesh?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I just ate raw chicken and got sick. :allears:

One of the best parts of 1.8 for me is how easy and fun it is to travel long distaces with sprinting and a full food bar.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

jsr v2.0 posted:

On both 1.8 and 1.7, the game crashes for me after about 10 minutes due to being out of memory. How do I fix this? I have the most up to date version of Java, and 8 gigs of ram. I never had this problem on my crappier computer with 2 gigs.

Use 64-bit java.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Deep Winter posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do i prevent mobs from spawning in my fenced-in garden and trampling everything?

Mobs spawn on grass, so make sure there is no grass in the fenced in area.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Danyull posted:

Sending the chain world off to Tinuan. I also haven't mentioned it but you can still sign up for it if you want to get in on it.

On another note, after this world goes through its round, I might start a new one for a 1.8 seed if anyone wants to jump on that.

Can I play this with 1.8, or should I use 1.7?

VVVVVVV For single tweets, click on the timestamp at the bottom of each tweet.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 11, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

HAL9100 posted:

Finding out you could do this with tree leaves in vanilla minecraft was a mindfuck.

Speaking of, leaves that are user-placed no longer decay automatically.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

DoctorJones posted:

What's up with the animal spawning in 1.8? There's plenty of grass around and cleared out trees but no piggies or chickens are respawning to eat.

What biome are you in? In 1.8 spawns are very biome based.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

thehustler posted:

Hm, point taken.

But what if I'm talking about non-trap buildings. Do I have more of a case then?

It's a pain replacing blocks in your houses every day, especially if they are things like brick when you need to go off and find some clay, or if they are in a hard to reach place.

Endermen cannot do anything to slabs and double slabs, use some of those for building.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

TehKeen posted:

So a couple friends and I were trying to make a sweet railroad track to transfer resources from our NPC-town homebase to a nearby station at the spire where we are building a doom fortress, but I can't seem to figure out how to get powered minecarts to work. I set up a chestcart full of building supplies, put a furnace cart behind it, apply coal, and it just bumps into the chest cart and stops, without moving it at all. I've tried it with two powered carts just to try and get some more power, but still nothing. :smith:

Is there some basic principle here that I missed or are they bugged in 1.8.1 or something? I would try using powered rails, but we haven't found that much gold.

Cart collisions only work in the north-south direction. On east/west track they just stop.

Edit: In order to travel east/west, do something like this:

tinaun fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 18, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Another new nether screen from Jeb.

Wow that looks cool.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Danyull posted:

And the guy who did have sex with Notch.

It's been a while since I've heard back about the chain world. If I don't get it by this weekend, I'll send it off to the next person to keep it going.

Sorry. With the 1.8 leak and release I forgot about it for a bit. Will give it by saturday, even if I do not die.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

That's a little too hardcore, Notch. :stare:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
^^^^^^^
Here you go.

UnCO3 posted:

New biomes: swamp (trees growing in water, much darker grass, leaves and water, lily pads, vines growing on trees, lots of clay and mushrooms), mountain (few trees, very tall), mushroom land (giant multi-block mushrooms, mycelium instead of grass, mooshroom mobs), ocean (massive, deep oceans with scattered islands), river (winding, moderately-deep bodies of water), ravine (not technically a biome, basically a canyon or crevice cut out of the ground during world creation)
New mobs: Endermen (neutral until you look directly at them, then attack if you look away, can teleport and pick up some types of block, won't attack if you're wearing a pumpkin), Mooshroom (cordyceps cows, you get red mushrooms from shearing and mushroom stew from using bowls in them), Poison Spider (small spider found in abandoned mineshafts, can poison you to drain health, can fit through 1x1 holes), Blaze (Nether-only, flying creature that shoots non-exploding fireballs), Magma Cube (Nether-only, basically a spring-like Slime), Villagers (passive, pacifistic mobs found in NPC villages), Snow Golems (manufactured allied mobs that throw snowballs), Silverfish (burst out of certain types of block, can call other silverfish out to attack, can return to block form if you run away)
New food system: eating food increases a food gauge. If it's full or nearly full you regenerate health. If it's empty you lose health (to 5 on Easy, 0.5 on Normal, death on Hard). Chickens give you Raw Chicken, Cows give you Raw Beef, these can be cooked like pork. Melon seeds can be found and used to grow melons to get melon slices. Zombies now drop Rotting Meat. Raw Chicken and Rotting Meat can poison you, which drains your food bar. There's also some hidden 'food saturation' subsystem where different foods will raise a hidden buffer food bar by different amounts, keeping you full for longer if you eat well.
New light: basically it now goes black->blue->red->white rather than black->white.
Creative Mode: you can fly, are invincible and have access to a lot of blocks and items.
New structures: abandoned mineshafts (long series of winding tunnels with plank struts, scattered minecart rails and the occasional chest with decent loot, as well as spiderwebs and poison spider spawners), strongholds (currently only spawn three times per map, big subterranean silverfish-infested complexes made of a) boring corridors and b) the occasional interesting room), nether ruins (huge complexes of bridges and rooms made from dark red bricks, occasionally have Blaze spawners), NPC villages (groups of simple buildings like houses, libraries, churches, granaries and forges along with small farms, inhabited by Villagers)
New blocks: iron rails, vines, lily pads, window panes, stone bricks, mossy stony brick, cracked stone brick, silverfish-infested stone brick, nether brick, nether fence, nether brick stairs, red and brown giant mushrooms blocks (you can grow them from mushrooms using bonemeal)
New items: blaze rods (dropped by blazes), ghast tears (dropped by ghasts), gold nuggets (dropped by zombie pigmen), netherwort (grows in the Nether on Soul Sand)
Experience: you get it from killing things and, in the v1.9 pre-release, jumping. Currently useless, kills servers because hundreds of xp orbs flood out of someone when they die.
Controls: you can't hold space to repeatedly jump, or hold leftmouse to repeatedly hit things, in the v1.9 pre-release

Finally, the hitbox for fences will be fixed, and they will attach to whole blocks, like glass panes. http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/117688347803136000

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Vib Rib posted:

They don't. They won't until we get an official release, since the sounds aren't stored in the .jar file, and 1.9 pre2 is just a jar, no other included resource files.

Animals breed if you use wheat, but they don't seem to be following me which will make setting up a farm that much harder.
Hardcore mode is in, health looks different in it.
Also you can grind up blaze rods by crafting them alone, and ender pearls now have a use: they can teleport you at the cost of health.

Worth noting also that you should not attempt to breed snow golems, I guess.

How do you use ender pearls? I tried right-clicking and nothing happens.

Also, fences now attach to walls and have a smaller hitbox, like glass panes

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
There is a fully working potions system hidden in 1.9pre2:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/673147-all-about-potions-and-brewing-19-reference-guidepics/

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

TalonDemonKing posted:

It sounds like this next update will be huge. Potions; Enchanting; Animal husbandry.

Speaking of, was there any talk about putting in a use for the XP system?

In 1.9, exp determines your score when you die, nothing else yet.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Oh notch.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Orv posted:

Anyone have a good snow-heavy seed for 1.8.1? I know there was one in the last 40-ish pages but uh, yeah.

No snow biomes in 1.8.1, need to start a 1.7 or 1.9pre world.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Some of my sheep spontaneously turned into babies. :crossarms:

Also, strongholds are ridiculously easy to spot (glass towers above them) because of some debug code jeb left in.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Vib Rib posted:

I love this development, because even though this isn't the final version, it means that strongholds will have some sort of surface marker so you don't have to just dig randomly for them.

I thought strongholds already had surface entrances. I'm positive I found one just by walking out from spawn for a day or two.

Edit: found it

Seed: -413016199

x:-910 y:466

tinaun fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 6, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Nenonen posted:

Are you able to breed your animals from before PR3? My sheep and cows now just ignore me when I'm holding grain, and when I feed it to them they will get the hearts but will not try to copulate. When I tried a fresh world, they worked. So are all my old animals just borked? :ohdear:

It's the same reason some of my old animals became babies. All old animals have age=0 in new worlds, so the game thinks they are babies and cannot reproduce. Just wait for a bit, should be of age eventually.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Yeah, the new potion system is a terrible disappointment. The reason we lost the old system? Because there could be potions with different names/colors but the same effects that didn't stack. Big whoop.

I want my homeopathic potions back. :(

Okay, the way the brewing worked in the old system (put ingredient in, take a sample out, open inventory to check effects, dump back in if you didn't like it, repeat) WAS a bit tedious, but I'd rather have the tedium in finding the good potions than a really simple system like we have now.

What I would prefer is to have both the simple brewing stand method and the more complex, but more rewarding cauldron system. We have both stands and cauldrons, why not use both in different ways?

Edit:The main problem with the potions, as i see it, is that the complexity is gone, changing potion brewing from an engaging activity to glorified smelting. The old way was somewhat tedious, but it was always engaging, at least to me. What if you make potions using the brewing stand, but then you can use the cauldron to mix potions together, creating complex potions similar to the old system.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2011

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

CaptainPoopsock posted:

This kind of confuses me a bit. I understand emphasizing the need to make better equipment, but combat in this game is absolutely horrible to begin with. While I do appreciate the challenge, maybe they should improve combat mechanics before going ahead with this.

I am pretty much at the point where I don't engage in combat unless I absolutely have to, and even then I cheese the fights by blocking the enemies with blocks and chipping away at them from a safe spot. If I am on land, I just run. This is just going to further drive me away from fighting at all.

In short, combat blows.

How would you improve combat? For me it already is slighty better in 1.9. What would you change?

With the new food system, Taking a couple hits of damage is not the emergncy it used to be for me.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Man, that dragon animation looks nice.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Anyone else getting a lot more diamonds in 1.9pre3? I say this because I found about 20 diamonds in a 10x20 area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jervas Dudley posted:

Yeah, water only freezes in daylight. A warning for people on 1.9 pre4 (and the earlier pre-releases) in snow biomes snowfall will destroy torches, saplings, redstone, etc. It's a bug.

I thought that got fixed in pre4?

Anyway, I forgot about the chainworld for a while with all the 1.8 activity, but I am done now and sent it back.

Masiff, you're next.