Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

Well, yes and no. I hate it when I have a nice world, and suddenly something changes in the biome code. Snow melting someplaces and other places entire oceans freezes.

Rivers would be incredibly cool, though.

I just really hopes he fixes/changes the way water operates in general. I tried making a waterfall/pond and it's impossible to make it look even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

The way to work water it to make an outline of the shape of your pond one block deep. Fill it up with water - using a 2x2 grid of water will give you infinite water to fill your buckets.

When you have the pond all filled up, dig out the blocks under the water. That way you can make it as deep as you want without worrying about getting 'holes' in the water.

Yeah, I have my 2x2 source close by to refill, but it's a natural largish hole. Most of it has been fine but it keeps getting weird current patterns in it, even when it IS a source block surrounded by other source blocks.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Arkitektbmw posted:

Emailed. I tried getting on the last chain you did but...yeah...dickbag. Still love ya though, in a non-homo way. Anyways, in order to help with the mod conflicting and stuff you really should generate a massive bit of land. I've got Yogbox on so I'm sure I'll have to revert to non-yog but still it'd be helpful to have most of the map pre-generated.

Emailed, too. It'll be interesting to see how that works out, because I'm vanilla (aside from optifine). I assume that it'll work out just fine until a chunk with non-vanilla-items is loaded? Or will the level not load at all if it exists on the map?

VVVVV - Thats not so bad.

Rack fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 11, 2011

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JGBeagle posted:

Didn't the guy who started this Minecraft chain world turn it into a religion of some sort? I remember reading that and just laughing at how stupid it was.

EDIT: I don't mean this one, the one that inspired Danyull to make one.

You're thinking of this guy, in which a guy makes a Minecraft mod and passed it around on a usb stick in the same way.

Scanning the article over since the first time I read it, it looks like some people tried to cash-in on it's existence and everyone's just getting pissed off about it. Also, the guy proclaiming he's god for creating a one-time-use MC mod is pretty :rolleyes:

edit - :argh:

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been having a very odd problem: Minecraft runs like poo poo on my laptop (not odd). But when I press F3 to bring up the coordinates and whatnot, my FPS shoots way up. Does anybody have any idea why this happens, or how I can get Minecraft to run properly and still have access to my entire screen?

I've run into the same problem on my pc* from time to time and it does the same thing. I always assumed that the game shifting into neutral. On a menu, the player cant be moving to load/unload chunks. I'm saying this metaphorically, I dont know exactly what's going on under the hood.

* - Running dual monitors; full screen movie on one and full screen minecraft on the other. Usually its ok, but if I try to stop minecraft to get to vlc player the whole thing crashes hard.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well I can still move, break blocks, pick things up, etc. I just can't see most of the screen because of the big memory graph in the way. But it makes the game run much more smoothly.

Oh poo poo I read that completely wrong. Sorry.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Nth Doctor posted:

I wonder what the red button and purple switch do for the slot machine. They didn't demo either of those.

One turns the machine on, the other is a manual stop if the pigs aren't doing their job.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fiblah posted:

So I want to try joining some multiplayer servers, what's the best goon one to join? I joined Penislandia and was flying around for about an hour and didn't see a single person, its so big.. :(

There's a few of us on the Evercraft Goon Server. It's sorta low-population but there's no whitelist so we get a few pubbies in. It's chill and friendly.

Or, there's the Goonimati server which gets a lot of people, but it's more about secrecy, death and destruction rather than building. If that's more your thing, this is the place.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Isnt there an intermittent copy that the previous person has? If we don't hear from the current player, just send that copy on to the next person on the list.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

On a side-note, I'm a little concerned about the size and shapes of the continents. While bigger, deeper oceans are really exciting, this seems to really break the spirit of large SMP servers who have traditionally had large, semi-connected landmasses. I don't know about other people, but I find the SMP servers to be the core experience of Minecraft. I think oceans are the right way to go, but from the 20-30 min of video I've seen so far, rail or nether links between the continents will be difficult and the fairly small islands (build spaces/user territories tend to be 150x150 blocks in the flat areas) don't seem conductive to large communities building in easily navigable areas. As someone pointed out on the server I play on, "I like walking in one direction and stumbling upon new build areas other people are working on". It's nice to look out and not see anything on the horizon, but perhaps the continents are too small/skinny, and too broadly spaced apart? I watched Notch fly in one direction for about 2 minutes (faster than rail speed, that's about 1km or 1000 blocks) and didn't see him fly near a large continent the entire time. Only one to two small islands, perhaps 30x70 blocks in size.

I dunno. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the idea of large oceans to separate people. It gives a bit more of an explorer-feel to it, where you have to make a concerted effort (and a risk) to getting into a boat and travelling a great distance to a most likely uninhabited land. Or the sight of looking for uncharted land and seeing someone's massive gently caress-off castle on the shore. Granted, I think it'll be a slow burn for people to get off the main landmass and cross the waters but once it gets going I think there's a lot of potential for growth.

I liked Wind Waker, and didn't mind spending forever in a boat, and I think this helps add to that feel.

edit - Motorboats would be an awesome addition.

Rack fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 27, 2011

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

can anyone link to a list of features in the update or give me some bullet points of suspected updates or if it's happening on friday? I don't know anything and I just clicked backwards through this thread before getting to the front and not finding anyone saying anything about what the update everyone is looking forward to actually has in it.

Some kind of gorgon? I don't know?

Here's a link someone posted a couple pages back with a rundown on the new stuff.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

doesn't the sun rise in the north and set in the south? or why do all maps orient towards the east?

Orient!
East!
That's a joke, son

Thank you for making my day.

There's something weird about the map orientation; if you're holding a map in-game the top (logically north) is actually East, so the sun would rise in the north and set in the south. I don't know how or why that is.

When I play, I still refer to directions based on sun and moon rise/set, regardless of what the map says.

edit - Apparently, it's just "because they said so". From the wiki:

quote:

It is commonly said that Minecraft maps are oriented with East at the top. It is certainly true that they are oriented with the direction of sunrise at the top, which is, by definition, East. However, Jeb has asserted (and Notch agreed) that in Minecraft the Sun rises in the North. Most mods and map-making tools, however, use the terms East and North consistent with their actual definitions (e.g. a Cartographer generated map with North at the top will be rotated 90 degrees from the in-game map).

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 3, 2011

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

Really, with the portals which is really magic, I'd like arcane stuff like that. Instead of using Redstone to fuel sperging, you could create patterns with it and use it for fueling dark rituals.

Great, now I'll have to head to the Minecraft Forums to see if there's a mod that does that:/

(Great set of pictures, thoug! :3: )

Runecraft is pretty cool for that. We use it on our SMP server and it's pretty popular, if a little limited.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I'm going to need visual confirmation of ghasts in minecarts.

Well, "in" minecarts isn't quite the right term, but yeah.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

HAL9100 posted:

So if I update my server to 1.8, is there any special workaround that still needs to be done to get villages et al to spawn in the new chunks?

I'm no expert, but I think unless you use something like MCedit to delete chunks entirely, new stuff wont be created in already generated chunks.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A quick google brings up this reddit link that supposedly lets you do it. I haven't tried it myself though. Caveat emptor.

VVVVV edit - Ghost towns for now, npcs will be added later.

Rack fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 14, 2011

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
^^^^ - What the hell is that? Mushroom cow?

Out of curiousity, what happens if an enderman moves a chest? The 1.8 test server I'm playing on is changing a lot so I'm keeping very temporary residences. I can only really guess one of the following:

1) It can't move chests, full or empty.
2) It can move chests, but all the items fall out of it.
3) It can move chests, and all the items inside are retained.
4) The game crashes as soon as the chest comes off the ground, the world is corrupted, the server shits itself.

Any info on this?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Are there any workarounds for the smp exp-orb issue? I may have been responsible for killing our test server when a creeper blew me up. Thankfully, it's just a test server and not the main one, but it still seems like a pretty big deal.

Is there a way to flat-out disable exp? Would deleting that chunk fix things, or do we have to reset the world again?

edit - I mean, "dont die ever" isn't really a viable fix for this issue.

Rack fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 19, 2011

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how stronghold generation happens on preexisting maps? Our SMP server is using the same 1.7.3 map in 1.8.1 so there are new biomes/features, but not until a couple thousand blocks out. Everything around 0,0 has already been generated under older code; are we just SOL?

edit - Also, whatever happened to Minecraft on Xbox? I cant find any details other than "its not a direct port" and "its coming out sometime".

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

In my experience, this is the only way to build anything on goonimati. Something that would be so incredibly tedious to rip down, and so ugly in its original state anyways, that nobody would bother to do so.

Pretty much this. When I played there, my base was just above bedrock, and only accessible by a ladder under 1 randomly chosen block on a tiny 4x5 island in the middle of the ocean.

Good times though.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

Because ivy is considered a 'block' and two blocks can't exist in the same space.

You'd think that since it's a single block touching 2 blocks that it'd just check to see which/how many of those surfaces can support ivy. Sorta the way that fences can snap-to blocks now.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
From Jeb's twitter, about an hour ago

quote:

Today I've fixed some redstone bugs, a powered rail bug and added wool regrowth to sheep. Now it's time to head home!

This is a good start in the right direction.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure there's a good reason for it, but why do all the mods break with each different release? With major updates I can almost understand, but with simple bug-fix updates it generally shouldn't change anything that the mod would do.

Granted, I'm sure that whenever the mod-api or the smp/ssp integration (is this still going to happen?) finally happens it wont really matter, but it matters in the now. I guess I just never thought to ask.

edit - Not just 'because its coded badly', from more of a technical point of view.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bicehunter posted:

Obfuscation, whenever they make a new build the names and signatures of classes/functions change name.

*edit* to clarify, a mod extends minecraft in some way, hooking into the classes that make up minecraft. If the said class it hooks into/changes/replaces or whatever changes name, then it won't anymore. Hope it makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. I'd heard the term mentioned a lot here, and knew the dictionary term for it, but never really thought about what it meant in this context. Thanks.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Maybe I'm unusual, but does anyone else load a Creative seed, fly around to find a good build site, write down the coordinates, and then make a new map with the same seed in Survival?

That's not a bad idea, really. The only thing I do that's close to this is play single player when our server is down just to play around with building and redstone designs, so that I can recreate it on the server when it's back up.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

Anyone got any good ideas for a James Bond evil lair? I've got the underground grotto, the giant shaft, the missiles, the lava pools, overseeing elaborate living quarters and conference room... I was going to trap a giant slime in a glass cage for a lab, but I just enemy mobs aren't persistent, are they.

What abouta hidden piston-door in the floor that opens up to a pit? Push the button, classic trap-door opens. I'm not too good at redstone stuff, but I don't think it would be impossible to make.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

krushgroove posted:

I loaded up my multiplayer world last night to check, my 'home' is right next to a swamp biome and there was no change to the colors. There was also no update, though, so I don't know how small changes like this are meant to work.

The snapshot releases are like the pre-releases they did previously. They don't automatically update like the major releases do. Instead, you have to download the new jars manually. The obvious downside is that, in doing so, mods and plugins break so (I'd imagine) that most servers don't use them.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ZanderZ posted:

I have an 8 man server. Will I need to start a new world for the update? Right now, it's saying that my server is outdated. It's not a local server and I have to connect to it's filesystem via FTP.

Make sure you're using the most recent server jar. Also, I think you have to do something to the map file itself. I'm not much help because I don't run a server, but at least I bumped you on a new page for more to see.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

I'm more interested in that humongous tree in the background. I mean, it's easily bigger than any of the ones in the other previews.

A giant tree-mob would be best and worst thing they could come up with. The scene playing out in my head is hilarious.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out for biome-specific npc villages.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I think, good sir, that you will find that a schooner is similar in purpose and structure as to that of a sailboat and that you, in turn, must have a cranium that is of less than average intelligence.

Are you aware that the Easter Bunny isn't real?

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Iacen posted:

I gather it is one of the Voxelbox texture packs they use in this video, but which? I really like that they have spiderwebs (?) as what looks like gusts of wind.

Which really reminds me, that I have to hack a texture pack together of all the best packs out there. SMP, Painterly, some Jolicraft and perhaps some from the Fez-inspired pack.

It's hard to tell with all the extra stuff going on, but the Villager and the health/food/item bars are straight out of Sphax.

Rack fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2012

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

There was an agreement to not Branch-mine, I don't know the Minecraft lingo but I'm pretty sure digging in an angle straight down to bedrock wasn't agreed upon.

Actually, Etho has a video specifically about branch-mining. It's not so much 'dig down to bedrock' as it is 'create hallways at y12 that span hundreds of blocks with varying hallways off of them'. It's sort of boring to watch, but a necessary evil if they're going to get gold or diamonds.

My vote on most entertaining goes to Beef, for the whole debacle of going to the nether, realizing someone might be there, going back and ending up stuck at the bottom of someone elses base while kurt and Pause fight upstairs. Baj gets a close second place though for seemingly never breaking character.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Man I need a new hardcore fix, start recording those goongames guys!
Bonus points for adapting personalities and/or Jeff Goldblum.

The next time there's one available (that I can join, given my schedule) I plan on streaming the game. I'm not going to adopt any personalities or impersonations (I'm horrible at it), but I can still chat/talk to people otherwise directly in nearly real-time.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Zsinjeh posted:

Perfect! Give a heads-up when you guys get it going, any of you hang in #technic or any other minecraft irc?

Oh no, I meant as a player, whenever someone else sets up a game.

My computer might be able to run a smallish server of 8 or so, but I don't know if my bandwidth would be able to hold up for it. I don't mind trying it out later, but I don't have high hopes for it. I have a Core2Quad 2.4ghz with 4gb ram, would that be enough?

I don't do the irc thing, and my normal server is currently down for upgrades, so I don't have any real contact with other players right now.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Norton posted:

Playing minecraft while running a server and streaming sounds like a recipe for bad frame rate.

I have multiple computers. I can run the server on my 'good' computer and play/stream on my 'adequate' computer, so I'm not worried about shared resources. This whole thing is more a brainstorm/interest check. I know there's at least one running periodically, but if there's enough people that want another uhc-server I figure I can at least try to help out.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to attempt streaming the UHC server, though I can't verify the quality. Feel free to bother me on chat there link removed. If its too crappy to watch worthwhile, tell me and I'll just disable it.

edit - Well that certainly didn't take long.

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 1, 2012

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Hahaha that was abrupt.

You knew someone was outside, and you made a pickaxe anyway (after laying out a sword earlier).

I don't have much in the way of excuses for that one, I confused myself. Sword or no I wouldn't have made it though; someone ended up finding me in no time flat and I couldn't even get a hit off on the wooden pick-axe. And it's not like I could've run anywhere.

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 1, 2012

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

So I stopped playing this game around the start of the year. Have there been any major content additions since then? The wiki said something about golems and a jungle.

This will fill you in on everything. As far as major points of interest:

* Jungle biome added, new tree type
* Cats (Ocelots) added (tamable creeper repellent)
* Height limit doubled
* Golems added (protect villagers)
* Zombie sieges added (attack villages at night)
* Some new decorative blocks added
* Redstone lamps added (essentially redstone toggled glowstone)
* New chat features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

Pretty sure that was me (Cythrin).

I have to ask, did you not see me on the surface? I pretty much spotted you, panicked, dug a hole, put dirt over my head and crouched. And then you came down for some reason, so I tunneled over and managed to get super lucky.

Ultra Hardcore is literally the most fun I have ever had with Minecraft.

Nope, didn't see you at all. I heard some digging around for a bit but didn't see a nametag, then someone popped in right by my crafting table for a second, and that was the sign that it was over. Good show though; I look forward to revenge in the next game.