Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, poking for a favour - does anyone have or know of an Akliz server that I can spend a little while playing around on and tackling bad guys and all on? My mates are thinking of hosting with them but I'm wondering how bad the transpacific latency will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SMP posted:

Hey dude, add me on steam and I can put up a test server for ya. ID is in the profile. Or hop on #yogboxchat @ synirc.net

Shiny. I'll bug you on SynIRC. Although odds are this evening EST I'll be asleep, what with Australia. I'll get you eventually.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Portals don't need clearance, I've been building them into walls and adding decorative obsidian fringes to them for ages. (Although I should probably double-check that by adding fringes before lighting one.)

Surrounding obsidian before lighting can mess with it, I know that. Other materials don't matter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You can extend the duration of a pulse with an arrangement like

code:

OUT
    |
 ___|__
 |     |
 R     R
 R     |
 |_____|
    |
   IN

Where 'R' is repeaters. Set the pause on the left two to maximum and the pause on the right to minimum. Two repeaters is the most you can do in a single branch like this without breaking it but you can repeat the whole thing again if you want to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It makes sense we'd have a need to gather and cart around more food, given the apparent new hunger bar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iacen posted:

The world would be a better place if all conflicts were settled in Quake.

Not for me. I'd never get my way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hogofwar posted:

Or it could just be a snow biome.

From the look of the tiny amount on the top of the trees in the central spire, I'd say it's altitude based.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tactical Grace posted:

4 and yes I did. Mystery.

Did you try 2048 or something and see if that works? Allocating 100% of your memory to minecraft isn't exactly possible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eriic posted:

He has a handful of different games on his personal page.

Holy crap, it was Notch who wrote Infinite Mario Brothers?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesto posted:

2. Can you still not save text to books or bookshelves? If not, has Notch said why?

There's a tool that lets you put an arbitrary image (so if you want, text) on a 'map' that can be viewed by anyone, regardless of mods or across an SMP server, if you want to do that for adventure map making or something. Notch alluded to true text in books a while back but nothing more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just loving the fireplace design in that music video. It's simple but stylin'.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EightBit posted:

Not to :spergin: too much, but I don't remember the tower actually being described as "dark". I need to double check, but I think it was more of an "unknown" kind of dark, since noone knew what was in it.

It was built of black stone, I believe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Are the pigmen, ghast, creeper skins stored elsewhere? has he released those bitmaps yet? AFAIK nobody knows what the NPCs will look like.

Yeah, each mob has a skin file to itself.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Of course somebody else might write a mod API.

They pretty much already have, haven't they? ModLoader's a semi-API.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Relaxodon posted:

Yes, you probably just need to generate new chunks somewhere where you have not been before. The new Chunks will not necessarily fit the old ones though, so it will probably look bad.

I'm just gonna push a new line out to the north in the nether and then avoid going south from the new area.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

No mobs in this game can see through glass, to any mob they're just like any other block, only the player can see things on the other side. If you have a mob at your window, it caught a glimpse of you, likely before you went inside, but not through the glass.

Also, spiders can see through anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god you can put pressure plates on top of fence posts to make tables now oh my god

They don't clicky if you jump on them either.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 10, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, villages make First Night and beyond so much easier if you can find one. Torches, prebuilt buildings with doors, lots of wheat... even lava and furnaces.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, I just checked, and glowstone puts out the same light as torches. I was kinda hoping it'd put out sunlight colour light instead to give us a variation.

Also, I haven't actually found a mine yet (or a village, in creative. Are they not spawning in creative mode?) but I can't see cracked or mossy stone brick blocks in creative. Did they make it in?

EDIT: Oh, nope, found one. No stone bricks at all so far in it though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 10, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lizzyinthesky posted:

Yes but some blocks are apperently missing in creative.

The cracked and mossy stone bricks are only in Strongholds.

Balls. I assume if you get your hands on one from a stronghold you can place it infinitely though?

Them missing is a bug, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bruteman posted:

Favorite moment so far - stumbling upon an NPC village that was falling apart but had three beds of wheat growing, a "blacksmith" shop (lava and furnaces inside!), and a few other neat features. It was eerie that no one was there (yes I know, no NPCs until next update), and I wondered why the town would have been deserted.

I kinda hope that in 1.9 there's still be deserted villages, maybe falling apart and partially wrecked.

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

Silverfish and Watermelons

EDIT: If you want a good laugh and to see Simon shriek like a little girl, watch the silverfish one.

I thought to myself 'pft, he screams like a little girl every video' but that was hilarious. Also god those things look disgusting and squirmy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 10, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zeether posted:

Also, I love how the maximum FOV is "Quake Pro" :3:

Now sprint with Quake Pro on. :2bong:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bad Coffee posted:

It doesn't look like they did. TooManyItems was updated for the 1.8 "pre-release", and the regular stone bricks are the only ones that show up in its list.

Huh, but I just opened up the stronghold zip someone posted up there and they're both definitely in the game. Something odd's going on there.

Speaking of the stronghold, what special rooms are there in there? I'm pretty lost. So far I've seen the library, the fountain, and the weird platform with a chest room.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 10, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xephos posted:

The spawning "order" seems really off too, so if a cavern or ravine overlaps with a mine or stronghold it gets really messed up. I think currently the order is something like this:

1) Caverns generated
2) Dungeons/Strongholes/Mines generated, leaving a lot of floating doors and weird shapes
3) Ravines generated, cutting strongholds/mines in half

It's hard to tell which way round it is at the moment but I doubt any other order would work any better. Still, I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

I didn't mind it in the one you did a video on... it kinda gives the impression of a crumbling stronghold, with earth movements and stuff over time messing it up. But in the first one linked in this thread it's a bit of an issue, yeah. That's seriously hosed up, that one.

Hey, are the Yogsboys gonna do a video on Creative mode?

Xephos posted:

In any case this stuff is far more awesome than just square rooms with a mob spawner. I actually had a look around the first stronghold map you sent us in this thread and it had a really cool large dungeon attached to a library, which I thought was very cool indeed.

I finally found that, and I suspect that's not the stronghold code - the dungeon just happened to generate inside the stronghold (or the stronghold over the top of the dungeon, whatever).

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gooch posted:

How do maps work? I can get map 0 to display but I moved off the map and brought up a new one and it just displays an empty parchment.

Maps are centred on where they're first created. Shift-clicking as you craft creation will recreate map zero, otherwise each time will make a new map centred on creation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

whiteshark12 posted:

If you want villages or strongholds then yes

Anyone know if this is tweakable with NBTEdit or something?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

wyoming posted:

Looks like you might be.
Can't imagine what else MapFeatures would be.
Using Game Type you can switch from Creative to Survival as well!

Well that's good to know. Someone mention it if they confirm it though, I'm gonna be pissed if I have to create a new map rather than extend my old one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Are there any good programs for deleting chunks so they'll generate fresh when I load the map back up? I used to use Minecraft Map Deleter, but unfortunately that doesn't appear to work with Scaevolus' map format.

Also, for those of you who want a nice chain of islands, I like using halleleujah, which is different from the Hallelujah seed posted earlier.

Select a region in MCEdit and then go to chunk control and you can delete chunks, they'll regenerate virginal next time you visit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't bother exploring caves from the surface. Plummet down - I go to 16 for the hope of diamond, but if you want the most caves maybe try 30 or so - and just dig 1-block-wide tunnels in every direction until you come across a good cave system.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

M_E_X posted:

That's what I have been doing, with my strip mining (I mine in range 10-16, I think that's where the most diamonds are)...but I hardly ever find caves there! I dig one long tunnel one wide, then leave three blocks, then another long tunnel parallel to the first - is that right? That doesn't seem the best method to find caves underground...

Mine sitting on 16, below that the caves will mostly be filled with lava. And if you're going cavehunting don't grid that densely, just head off in long tunnels.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

I believe what he's saying is just an explanation of why 1.9 will generate worlds differently from 1.8; why the worlds will create differently again come 1.9. Which means all the seeds we're getting now will create entirely different things when that update hits (but probably won't change with 1.8 official).
The use of "were" when describing the options means they've already decided, choosing to release 1.8 now rather than delay it till when we'd be getting 1.9.

Incidentally I suppose that means biomes will be even better in 1.9. Gotta stay optimistic, right?

Gah. This is a problem with too much interaction with what ends up being your neediest and whiniest users. They really should have postponed it a few weeks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seeds should still generate identical nethers, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I pulled in my old world into the leak and man, lighting is buggier than I realised.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YJT posted:

No point asking me, that's a straight c/p of what he said he was doing for this release. Maybe there's a bug where sneaking or sprinting doesn't work with right clicking? I haven't played much of 1.8 yet so I dunno.

Well the reference to right click is presumably whilst blocking (or maybe eating), which happens if you hold right mouse button with a weapon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

apophenium posted:

You could give it a shot! I know C418 has been doing all the sounds/music, but I don't know if he planned on doing new noises for the Endermen.

He's confirmed he has on twitter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm going to miss the smaller, more intimate biomes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I noticed my sand quarry ended up fortuitously shaped and neatened it up a bit:

But now I have no idea what to actually do with that or turn it into. Any suggestions?

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I'm posting this as a farewell to my old creation. Starting in 1.3, I resolved to make a city that was impregnable to hostile mobs. Not just "they can't spawn here", I wanted it to be "They can't get here." And thus was born:

My floating island. From the other side:

Wow. You kicked my floating island's butt.

I spent ages building it (gently caress that vortex) and then the time came to call it done and I realised I could only fit a tiny cabin on top (and I didn't have the stomach to expand the vortex size again). All the important stuff is in the basement with the portal. I'm going to have to aim bigger and do a whole town in 1.8.

Although I might just wait for the yogbox 1.8 and then hijack a floating dungeon.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 15, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With regards to the new biome code, I kinda wish there was a 'dense' biome that had smaller but more varied features similar to the stuff you'd get from the old generator. Or the fractal generator could be tweaked so there were areas where there were tight small knots of the newer biomes as well as the vast areas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The lighting engine's still pretty hosed up in the release. All the paintings and chests in my headquarters are pitch black, and light doesn't seem to penetrate glass to light up blocks directly behind it.

I'm really hoping the glass thing isn't intended behavior, since it messes up a few of my structures and leaves them basically pitch black in daylight.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Sep 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FirePhoenix posted:

Skill trees would be interesting if there was more game behind everything. As Minecraft stands now, it's still a sandbox, there is no reason for skills really, especially combat related ones. Crits and the archery changes already make combat much more manageable against the current mobs.

The thing is, in Minecraft, specific skill 'leveling' as such is provided by increasing and improving weapons/armour. It'd be better to accomplish such a mechanic with more options for further improvement along these lines. I don't know what his plans are for the XP bar, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 16, 2011