Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
So I reinstalled Minecraft after some time off, and now it runs like total crap on two of my machines where it ran perfectly before. Both are less than a year old and the desktop is fairly powerful. Did something change, is this a common problem people have noticed with the last couple versions, and are there any tricks to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

The Snark posted:

Or, stranger still, create a portal to go back in time, allowing you to, say... stuff a large amount of feathertouch pick-mined coal at the adminium layer, bury it, place some manner of monument above it and return to your original 'time' in order to go back down and mine out what is now a large diamond vein.

:eng99:
Diamonds are not formed from coal:
http://geology.com/articles/diamonds-from-coal/

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Obsidian also isn't a super hard material that can withstand the might of 20 kilotons of TNT either, but I'm willing to concede with coal becoming diamond in Minecraft.

Eh, there isn't a long history of bad information that obsidian has those properties. Diamonds from coal, however, is an inaccurate peice of information that is "common knowledge" and taught in a lot of high school science classes. So I'm just doing my part as a geologist. :shobon:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Ming the Merciless posted:

I agree that it doesn't happen in nature at all, but graphite has been used to form synthetic diamonds since the 1950s, if we're being all science-y about it. (and I'll concede that coal isn't the same pure graphite, so you're pretty much right.)

/chemist

Well hey I'm all about increasing the number of machines/capital goods in Minecraft! Lets put in a diamon press machine, heh.

Actually I work on a lot of environmental remediation projects cleaning up old Manufactured Coal Gas plants. I really want to make an Minecraft MGP plant to produce coal tar, Prussian Blue, and coke. The coke could further be used to power a blast furnace for the production of steel. :science:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

Memory is hardly expensive, throw a few gig in there maybe? Telling us your specs might help people provide a few key areas where you might be able to improve the situaiton, but if your computer is "dying" I'm guess it's very old. Just upgrade and put a bullet in it already.

The game has some serious memory leak bugs in 1.8 right now. When I rebuilt my desktop gaming machine, I intially had 2GB of RAM as some of the sticks I bought were defective. The game would constantly stutter and crash if I resized the window at all. 2GB isn't a whole heck of a lot, but it should work and I was playing much more modern games with no problem. It wasn't playable until I finally got the full 8 GB, and even now it crashes ever 20 minutes or so because of the memory leak.

I'd probably blame the game before the computer.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait wait wait, what the hell do I have to do to get an unbreakable pick?

It's not unbreakable, but the enchantment is called "unbreaking". It just means that it only takes like half durability damage or something. Unfortunately, it's not "unbrakeable", and it still breaks down. Just takes longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

krushgroove posted:

How do you successfully 'herd' animals, if that's even possible? I set up a cool base camp but the animal spawns are a bit of a distance away and I can't push them towards the fenced corrals I made. I even made a 2-block high dirt funnel but trying to punch pigs into the funnel just results in them running in spiral patterns.

Holding wheat near an animal seems to make it lock onto you and follow you. I've herded pigs that way, at least. I think it's only one at a time though.