Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Ghostlight posted:

Redstone actually is electrical engineering.

Except real-life electrical engineering is actually easier than redstone, because real-life wires don't magically meld together if they're too close to one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Hadlock posted:

Somewhere in the depths of Intel, nVidia and IBM's respective HR departments, they've made files for both of these guys, and will probably offer them jobs when they graduate college. The minecraft in minecraft guy will probably be offered a higher starting salary though.

I'll bet you $100 Real World Dollars that no, major tech companies are not watching redstone videos to recruit people, and that no, these people will not get offered sweet tech jobs solely because of their minecraft youtube videos.

Not to say that I'm unimpressed by these redstone things—some of them are wild! But that's like saying architecture firms are watching LEGO forums for talent.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Frobbe posted:

notch just tweeted he's removing the fog toggle key (normally F) why he would do this, i've no idea.

I'm betting that, with the new changes, pressing F was crashing the client / corrupting the world for some reason he couldn't understand.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Extreme option: Take a note from Demon's Souls. Every time the player dies, the "world tendency" shifts towards black. As the world tendency darkens, more enemies (especially endermen) spawn, random biomes become infested with blight, and it rains more often. To shift the world tendency back towards white, craft 4 diamonds and a redstone torch into an Enlightening Gem.

edit:
I meant this as a joke, but a world tendency mod would actually be pretty drat cool

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Sep 6, 2011 around 15:14

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

“You have died.
An Enderman has spawned somewhere in the world...”

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Hunger is a cool concept, except that most games do a really, really, really lovely job of implementing it.

*Your hunger meter is down to 5%*

*You drink seven colas and eat five turkeys and four dozen boxes of donuts*

*Your hunger meter rises to 55%*

I'm hoping that just one or two porkchops fills the meters... although, then again, this is Notch we're talking about...

vvv
edit in response to the guy below me:
I should have said "hunger is a cool concept for a survival game"

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2011 around 13:18

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had a dream last night that 1.9 was released and everyone was wondering how this game would add to everything it's already got. When asked about what's set for retail, Notch simply tweeted, "We're going to the moon."

That would be absolutely awesome.

That would actually be a really cool endgame event: if you could craft a rocket using tons of gold, diamonds, iron... everything. Once you build and use the rocket, the credits roll (but you can still keep playing forever)

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

I'd guess the times are cooldowns, but a 6-and-a-half minute cooldown for a jumping spell is pretty crazy. Then again, this is Minecraft, the magical game where real-life time speeds up ("I've been playing for four hours?!").

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

I can't believe how good the dragon animation looks. It looks so good that it's kind of weird. Why does the dragon animate 10x nicer than anything else?!

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

tinaun posted:

long text

Taking yourself a bit too seriously, wouldn't you say Markus???

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

What I think would be a good and simple minecraft ending:

• camera cuts to 3rd person, looking down at your avatar, who is looking up at the sky
• camera begins to zoom out and out, past the credits, which are built from blocks and hovering in the sky
• camera zooms out until it reaches the atmosphere, fades to white
• At this point it's a pre-rendered movie. Camera continues to zoom out—you can now see that the minecraft world is round
• camera zooms out past the moon, credits still rolling
• as credits stop, the planet is just a small blue dot, and the player can see thousands of other tiny blue dots in space
• fade to black, player wakes back up at their spawnpoint with a new set of totally unbreakable tools!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Calling it now:
• Jeb makes a lot of good changes to Minecraft pretty quickly, fans react positively and praise Jeb
• Scrolls comes out and nobody likes it
• Notch can't deal, immediately re-seizes control of Minecraft, moves Jeb to Scrolls

The most fun part of Minecraft's gameplay is Talking About Notch on Forums.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Jelly posted:

People here have been criticizing notch as a worthless developer since before Jesus.

“Then Abraham breathed his last and died at a good old age, an old man and full of years, but disappointed at Minecraft's ever-slowing update schedule, his final word the name ‘Notch,’ dripping with venom, shaking his feeble fist; and he was gathered to his people.”
Genesis 25:8

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Does anyone know if the xbla version will have multiplayer? This is literally what will determine whether or not I buy it.

edit:
It apparently has "cross-platform playability with the PC version." So I'm guessing you'll be able to connect to PC servers. Cool.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Dec 6, 2011 around 14:51

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

ChewyLSB posted:

I'm confused, why would anyone who already has the PC version buy the Xbox version? Even if you don't use mods? Are you people telling me you don't even use texture packs? And if you have a 360 you can just use the 360 controller on your loving PC.

I just... don't get it.

• my laptop is 11" while my tv is 40"
• my laptop is on a desk whereas my TV is next to a comfortable couch

But mostly,

• notch can't code for poo poo and minecraft chugs / crashes nonstop on my laptop

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Willie Trombone posted:

there are plenty of game companies which don't have such problems delivering on promises when given years to do so.

Not just “years” but also around $40 million dollars!

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

I know we're not entitled to anything, but it's not unreasonable to be disappointed when a dev gets tens of millions of dollars in funding for a project and then basically gives up said project without even trying to use the money to finish it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Notch posted:

There’s a lot of infrastructure that needs to be done...

How can he not realize that this is the only reason people want him to hire more dudes. My computer runs the final battle in Half Life 2 ep 2 with perfect framerate but I can't get Minecraft to run for more than 20 minutes before it starts to chug and crash.

Hire four dudes, tell them "make it run as perfectly as possible and develop a real mod API. Don't change anything else." There, I solved Notch's problem.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

a starwar betamax posted:

I've noticed this thread has slowed down A LOT compared to last year.

That's because, except for a half dozen new features and lots of Notch drama, almost nothing has happened for a year.

Also, this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ScqDxH0f4#t=5m20s

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Vanderdeath posted:

Without them, it's barely a 15 dollar game at best. At least in my opinion.

Agreed. Minecraft is more of a tool than a game. And it's not even a well-made tool—it's buggy, ugly, and loaded with half-baked features that add nothing. Minecraft only has substance when you inject your own personality, effort, and imagination into it.

Someone who's a good artist will get lots of use out of a pencil, but that doesn't mean that the pencil is worth $30. And if you did see a pencil that costs $30 you'd say "wow, that pencil must be really exquisitely crafted or something."

And while, yeah, pencil pricing and software pricing aren't applicable, compare Minecraft to just about any indie game. It's hard to find an indie game above $20, and the ones that cost even 20 are superbly crafted (no "out of memory" errors every 20 minutes).

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Apathetic Medic posted:

I don't know about you, but I think that there are a lot of bugs in this game.

And besides bugs, there's the performance. My brand new laptop rips through Left 4 Dead but runs Minecraft pretty choppy. That shouldn't be.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Internet Kraken posted:

Thought he was just messing around with spawning, not actually setting the terrain to generate that low. Why would you do that?

So that you can play with the whole height of the map -- bedrock to sky -- and build buildings that are like three times taller than you were able to before.

Essentially, the laziest possible way to fake raising the height max.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Minecraft is just so laughably behind schedule that, no matter what's in each patch, it just comes off as "not enough." The only patch that wouldn't get ridiculed at this point would be a "we literally rewrote all of the code and now the game runs smoothly and also the world height and depths are doubled" patch... or a mod API.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

poemdexter posted:

It's been a while since I've poked into this thread but I hear a lot about a modding API again. Has the plan changed from "release all the source code and call it an API" to something actually resembling an API?

Officially they're planning an API again and have ditched the source code idea, although there have been no details or a window for release date.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Cheap Shot posted:

That being said, are my drawings really that dull though? Blha blha blah

Nah, don't worry, ignore that guy, your drawings are fine, in fact they're way better than most webcomics.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Disappointing Pie posted:

And that guy who made Cube World has decided he likes being independent and chose not to join Mojang. There's some irony here somewhere.

This isn't really surprising. What would you rather do:

- Develop your own game
- Spend countless hours digging through Notch's garbage java code, the end goal being maybe a few improvements to Minecraft, while having Notch as your boss.

The real question here is: What salary did Notch offer this guy? I need to know. Knowing Notch, I'd guess $30k.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Jan 16, 2012 around 18:46

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

A new mob generation would be cool. The first "real" Minecraft effort I made was a castle on a floating island in the sky. The floating island I built was hollow. I think you can guess what happened.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

simosimo posted:

So I played creative for the first time, but I felt it spoiled the game, having everything to hand with no consequence/reward. I can see it being cool, pretty much like lego but can't help but feel like a creative world would be a cheat world. But I look at a survival world, which could be the same in terms of end product, except I have wasted hours crafting stuff and achieving the same result.

I keep trying creative, but something turns me off about 10 minutes of play, but I'll go into survival and think, gently caress this.

Am I burnt out on Minecraft?!

I feel the same way... whenever I play Minecraft I hit a point where I just think "argh, I'm just wasting my time." Minecraft would be the best game ever if it had some LittleBigPlanet user sharing implemented—make a world, push a button to upload it. Browse a list of other players worlds, sorted by category and rating.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

simosimo posted:

Is this game the record holder for Indy game turned huge-goddamn-success?

Historically I'd say Counterstrike holds that title, as it went from small Half Life mod to literally the #1 most popular online game for a few years, but in terms of pure profit, who knows, Minecraft might actually have made more.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Wrist Watch posted:

Once you have a supply of food there's basically no reason to do anything anymore.

I feel the same way. My problem with Minecraft is that its visual aesthetic is so thick and its palette so limited that it's really hard to build things that have a personal touch. Compound that with the fact that you can't really share your creations and the motivation to build goes out the window.

Whenever I try Minecraft nowadays I'm always like "I'm going to build a big castle." But then, just for kicks, I google "big castle minecraft" and see these epic, sprawling, ridiculous creations that other people have made. Since Minecraft's palette is limited to 3 kinds of 1x1 meter stone blocks, I can't imagine anything I could do to my castle to make it look special or personalized in any way. And even if I did somehow make a castle that was unique, the most I could do is post screenshots on a thread like this one. So I'm always like "you know what, it would be a hundred times more productive to learn the level editor for some other game... or a thousand times more productive to download a free trial of 3d studio max."

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Azurius posted:

So has everybody seen the teaser of the new mob? It kinda looks like a snake to me, but people were talking about jon mentioning monkeys? Not entirely sure...

Looks like a wild Mod API... or a feral Optimized Code Beast...

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Only Minecraft.

kotaku posted:

The newest version of Minecraft greets players with the sentence "You are a friend of the family," if they switch their language settings to Afrikaans, the native language of South Africa and Namibia.

It appears to have been the doing of an unruly Minecraft user who was among many people who worked on language translations of the popular game. Minecraft's developers at Mojang have apologized and pinned this on the player-translator. The screenshot above is from Kotaku's Mike Fahey's version of the game.
http://kotaku.com/5880007/racial-ep...oper-apologizes

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Mods, can we get the "Reply" button on this thread replaced with this graphic?

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

It's funny that "framerate" is one of the biggest problems in a game where all of the textures are in a 32kb PNG file, the world and collision is all cube-based, and there are usually a dozen maximum enemies at any given time. My laptop should run this poo poo at 2000fps.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Install Gentoo posted:

If you couldn't freely change the landscape at any time, it would in fact run really well. But you can so it can never run as well as anything with immutable enviroments.

I'm not sure how true this is. Firstly, "immutable environments" is kind of a stretch when all we're talking about is breaking 1x1x1 meter cubes. It's not like the game should need to calculate any sort of physics or anything on each block.

And even if the game is, for some reason, grinding math for every single block on every single frame, wouldn't it be easy-ish to write a script so that math is only executed on blocks within a certain radius of the active players?

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

The Yellow Ant posted:

Imagine a brick wall. In a normal game that wall is one piece, with a brick texture on it. In Minecraft, every brick is its own object, with its own texture.

In the first case, you've got one set of data to describe the whole wall. In Minecraft you have the same amount of data for every single brick in the wall.

This is the annoying thing about having Notch at the helm. I do a bit of programming but I'm not a programming genius by any means. And even at my level I see a lot of workarounds that would dramatically raise performance.

It wouldn't be too hard to write a script that searches for adjacent blocks of the same type and replaces them temporarily with larger objects. To use your brick wall as an example—imagine a 9x9 brick wall. The script would quickly spot that these 81 brick blocks are all of the same type, and it would replace the 81 bricks with a single 9x9 brick wall that looks identical. The player wouldn't notice, but the game engine would go from grinding 81 separate objects to 1. And if you used this same method for every block in the world, yeah, you probably could cut the number of objects by 80% or more. And it would probably only add like 7 seconds to the initial world generation time.

Then, if the player started to whack a 9x9 brick wall, the engine would swap out the 9x9 object for 81 individual bricks. Once the brick was broken, the system would again scan for chunks of blocks and replace.

This is basically a very, very simplified version of how jpeg compression works.

edit:
I edited my post while you were typing yours. The process I described could totally occur during world generation. The result would be a world that looks and acts identical to a minecraft world but is composed of many, many, many, many fewer active objects.
vvv

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Jan 30, 2012 around 20:40

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Siljmonster posted:

So how many n-bombs will have to be dropped before they hire some QA guys? Ten more? A hundred?

Do you think they'd dare release an "official release" that might have a hidden n-bomb??

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at Feb 2, 2012 around 14:48

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

Bicehunter posted:

...I'm just playing around now trying to optimize...

Whoa there! Haven't you learned anything from Notch? Stop optimizing right now and sell that poo poo. And then never optimize. Also make sure you accidentally include the n-word at least three times.

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

ManPortable posted:

Just in case anyone didn't see it elsewhere, the new snapshot is out

And The Great N-Bomb Search Begins Anew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 3, 2004

granny smith apples -
the best apples

poemdexter posted:

I agree with this 100% with the caveat that minecraft doesn't have a theme or direction per say so it's really easy to see every update as "useless" since really, what's something that could be added that fits? This is the sandiest sandbox game. It's 100% up to the player to determine what the game is about since there's no defined theme nor setting.

This is probably Notch's biggest failing, and the biggest failing any game designer can make—not really knowing what your game is about. Survival mode isn't really about survival, and creative mode isn't truly 100% focused on creativity.

To be fair, Minecraft turned out as well as is possible for a game without a direction.

«2 »