Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

Another call out by Notch! Simon and Lewis!

mrwuss posted:

He's a bit behind in the times!

I just found the yogscast for myself a few days ago. It was my first time seeing Minecraft in action, aside from screenshots and some very short videos.
Now I've given Notch my money and am playing as Vinceborg from Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

It all happened so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vatek posted:

Lightning can do that, yeah.

That's it. That's the one item Minecraft needs to complete itself:
Lightning rods.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Furnok Dorn posted:

Easiest way is to get destination coordinates in the real world, divide them by 8 (you only need to calculate the x and z coordinates, portals seem to ignore y) and then build your portal in the nether to get there.

Is y height?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CJacobs posted:

And as well, Bethesda's law office has no case because "Scrolls" is not "The Elder Scrolls" and as long as Mojang acknowledges that TES is a thing that exists and they respect the right to not steal any of their poo poo, Mojang will likely come out of this lawsuit with an undeserving sense of pride!

Why would their pride be undeserving? You said it yourself that Bethesda/Zenimax has no case, so Mojang standing up for themselves against this lawsuit is a commendable act, and Mojang is right to ridicule the lawsuit.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 3, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vatek posted:

I like them as a feature, but they need to work on how they're generated. The layout should resemble how an actual mine would be laid out, instead of some horrible schizophrenic disaster that was apparently carved by miners who were left underground too long and went insane.

While logical mines would be excellent, I'd prefer to have them as an addition to, and not a replacement of, the current system. The occasionally schizophrenic structure is one of my favorite parts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Evek posted:

But I did manage to build a four sided clocktower on my regular server to scare my friends on redstone. It only encouraged them to start using it.

Is it a rotary clock or a digits clock? If you found a way to make feasible clock hands then I am incredibly envious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoe posted:

But but but I hear you say, what about mountains? Yes okay, if you swing a right from spawn there are a couple of decent ones, complete with American flag and tiny plane. :patriot:

I think I see King Kong on the right as well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Amaritudo posted:

Yeah, but once you got them hooked, they turn into crack fiends and will swarm you when you got food in your hand. :catdrugs:

The first stalk of wheat is free, but after that you gotta pay.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rabidsamba posted:

I'm loving that potion system, it is beautiful. I just wish there was some way to disguise what effects the potion had. That way you could hide a deadly one in a bunch of healy type ones, and what's that trying to steal my potions? Yes drink away! :unsmigghh:

Apparently by mixing the right ingredients you can create different colored potions that have the same effects, or identically colored potions that have different effects. It certainly sounds like you'll be able to hide poisons with your balms.

Tool tips may foil your schemes, however.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bout it flautist posted:

More stuff I want: Paper that we can right on. I cannot imagine this being difficult using whatever code there is for the map and allowing twice the text of a sign or so.

The squid population would never recover.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Some thoughts about the new armor system: you should never build a helmet until after you've build everything else. Compared to other peices, helmets have a much lower ratio of unit of materials needed versus defense provided.
Likewise, always build a breast plate before building leggings. For using one extra item you get significantly higher defense.

The Snark posted:

Edit: Now that you have me thinking about it I confess I'm now having visions of a lab set up with equipment to pipe potions around, maybe rigged to dump them into holding cells to test their effects in unethical experiments on pigs, cows, zombies... Villagers....

I'm probably getting my hopes up for a simple chemistry set as it is however.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will make a Mengele mod soon enough.

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

And the alchemy table, like the (useless) bookcase and glass blocks/panes, is unable to be mined once placed

Last I checked, you could recover glass panes. I have no idea why.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 30, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Dos posted:

I want this and the ability to make a wall clock or grandfather clock.

A placeable compass would also be nice, to be used in conjunction with boat and airship mods.

...I guess it wouldn't be much use in a house.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Orv posted:

What, your house is attached to the ground? :colbert:

When my house is no longer attached to the ground I cease referring to it as a house.
It is then a "mobile base of operations."

I use a strictly defined set of terminology when referring to Minecraft. Here, let me just post this 745 kB txt file detailing them all.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Stokes posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/120207632228298753

And I guess people have already figured out what the hieroglyphics mean.

Is... is that written in Standard Galactic?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eox posted:

Let's see how it works...

Better luck next time, Lamarck.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macaluso posted:

So I'm watching the survival island playthrough Simon and Lewis did (I never watched it back when it came out).

Simon setting up the torches to spell "HELP" in LOWER CASE LETTERS was loving hilarious.

I'm in the same boat as you. I only got into Minecraft a week or so ago, and I've started watching some of the huge backlog of youtube videos that have been created.
The only people I know who'd get the jokes have already seen these videos years ago. I'm worried I'll become that Grandma who forwards old jokes to everyone's email.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 3, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bellend Sebastian posted:

aVo's videos are generally pretty funny, but Krysk has outdone himself for making new griefing tools this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IUONiBd5E

They paved paradise and put up a nature reserve.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A Sassy Dog posted:

Well, I don't know how you'd make wolves hostile toward a person. Maybe they'd just be friendly dogs. :)

With a hostility potion, obviously.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Ender pearls have gone from being worthless to being one of the most valuable mob drops. That on top of Enderman becoming more dangerous and possibly more rare, might make Ender pearls the most valuable item in SMP.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ThndrShk2k posted:

"Wanna trade 2EPs for an enchanted diamond pick?"
"2EPs? They're worth at least 5EPs"

Minecraft, now with SoJs.

I'm also thinking controlling territory will suddenly become a much bigger thing in PvP SMP, as well. People won't be building castles because they want to be artistic, they'll be building castles because the only Enderportal in 10,000 blocks is inside, and they want control of the precious, precious resources inside it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I might make a mod that let's you mount a dragon head on your wall, if no one beats me to it.
I want that skull over my easy chair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Eiba posted:

I think Lewis is in fact as charmingly dim as he appears, though.

Xephos, could you confirm or deny this for us? Thank you.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

wyoming posted:

It's damage vs. Undead.
He was tweeting about trying to come up with name earlier.

I wonder if Ghasts are considered undead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A Sassy Dog posted:

Holy poo poo check out this email from a sperglord that Notch just tweeted:

Apparently you can't implement a feature that a modder put in or else it's creative theft. I mean, this isn't new poo poo from modders, but it's hilarious too that they're shipping it off to Notch.

Also, "Snow breaks torches? gently caress!"

The worst part is that now that Notch has put them in the game himself, I no longer have a reason to keep working on my Caveman Squidwards mod.
All that work has gone to waste.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bango skank posted:

It'd be nice if notch took this as a cue to finally step in and say, "listen up assholes, all youre doing is modding MY game. You can't loving copyright this poo poo and if youre making money off of it, we're going to go bethesda on your rear end."

From the Minecraft terms of use:

"Any tools you write for the game from scratch belongs to you. You're free to do whatever you want with screenshots and videos of the game, but don't just rip art resources and pass them around, that's no fun. Plugins for the game also belong to you and you can do whatever you want with them, including selling them for money. We reserve the final say regarding what constitutes a tool/plugin and what doesn't."

emphasis mine

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Octopus posted:

Any idea how to fix this? Besides not die.

Die more often. After you get more than three levels, purposely die in an area where no one will be able to recover your experience, ideally in lava. This will keep it from building up to a server crash magnitude.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EightBit posted:

So when do we start calling it Planescraft?

notch Markus Persson
Added new mob: Yogsmoth the Ineffectual
27 minutes ago

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

fondue posted:

I'm incompetent with the eye of ender; how do you follow it? It just seems to spaz out in the air, not really going one direction or another, then falls. WTF?

If it doesn't move after flying up in the air, that may mean that you are directly on top of a fortress.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Joust posted:

You better get working on that pumpkin farm.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arrath posted:

Goddamn, its the creeperpocalypse.

My friend and I were heading back to our main base after adventuring out to look for ravines when, suddenly, we were surrounded by creepers! I fought off 3, then watched* while my friend was chased down by 4 of them, the subsequent explosions leaving a cratered trail that led to his corpse. :stare:

*laughing too hard to help him

I can empathize. I just lost 7 full stacks of cobblestone and about 24 of mossy to a creeper.

Surprisingly, all my iron ore survived.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is there a way to calm running water? There's six or so blocks of running water in the middle of an otherwise still lake, and it's driving me loving nuts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

President Ark posted:

Gold is semi-useful as armor. It's the same quality as leather, which isn't great, but if you don't have enough materials to make iron/diamond armor it's alright.

Other than that, yeah, it's basically garbage.

It's worth noting that in prerelease 3 gold helmets are just as beneficial as iron helmets. That can potentially useful, if you're low on metal for whatever reason.

This also means you can have your kingly crown without penalty.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vib Rib posted:

This is nice, but I wish the cameraman hadn't been the one who spends like ten solid minutes just chopping trees down before doing anything.

Guude Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs5OlyAm3BE&feature=channel_video_title
Avidia Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZHCnA2xt3s&feature=channel_video_title
Ethos Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-tWI2QCIk&feature=channel_video_title
Static Cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q38SzyzwizI&feature=channel_video_title

I think each player uploaded a video of the action from their perspective, although those four were all I could find at this moment.

I definitely recommend watching as Guude, he explores most and punches trees the least. He also bypassed one of the obstacles in a clever way.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DNK posted:

An asymmetrical castle with three floors and two staircases per level. Make it out of cobblestone.

Don't go cheap, make it from stone bricks.
Mossy stone bricks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Apparently it's pretty easy now to increase the cap. Not sure if a 6235 block height cap would completely break minecraft, though. Probably.

Someone should actually do this, though, with the modified height cap. There has to be some sort of program that would convert a heightmap into a minecraft map. Then someone would spawn in Nebraska with no trees for miles and miles and only extremely rare underground caves.

Google Earth has the entire geography of the USA (and the world) mapped. I don't think it would be impossible to just transfer that information into Minecraft in a similar fashion to how you transfer Kinect data. You could automate the whole process. It wouldn't get the caves, however.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ass_Burgerer posted:

All i want is a couple of tools that have SILK TOUCH, so what's the best way to go about getting this?

I would try to enchant a large number of tools with low price enchantments, rather than trying to enchant a few tools with high price enchantments.

Most enchantments have variable strengths, but Silk Touch does not. This leads me to believe that you can increase your odds of getting that particular enchantment by only using cheap enchantments, since that would presumably lower the chance of other, higher level enchantments.

This is all speculation, however.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RossMan4Life posted:

I never saw the sense in using diamond armor because I have enough sense to look at my inventory screen if I get into some wild combat and am not retarded. IIRC, all armor reduces damage equally, it's just about durability, so only bad Minecraft players or those in a post-scarcity world use diamond armor.

This is no longer true as of 1.9pre4. Diamond armor is now objectively more protective than other armors, regardless of durability. Iron armor is stronger than gold, and gold is stronger than leather.

The one exception is gold helmets, which are just as good as iron helmets.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Am I the only person who only uses stone picks unless the ore requires a higher tier? I hate 'wasting' iron or diamond for use in picks on plain stone.

I use stone picks until I build up a stack or two of iron, and I use iron from then on. I almost never use diamond picks unless I'm harvesting obsidian.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 3, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
1. Sword
2. Bow
3. Pick Axe
4. Shovel (if below ground) or Axe (if above)
5. Cobble
6. [Free Space]
7. Clock/Compass/Map or other item depending on the situation
8. Food
9. Torches

I also organize the items in my inventory and everything is where it needs to be at all times. :unsmith:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slung Blade posted:

I'd really like to see this as a base for the moon's phases.

But I guess I'm just a horrid nerd.

I thought that myself. I was contemplating defacing one of the painterly moons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Times posted:

Your comic makes me wish there was a cute-faced variant on creepers in the game that is friendly, won't explode, follows you around like a lost puppy, and will actually stop enemy creepers from exploding. :3:

Buddy, have I got a mod for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwSE_6xogI