Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I decided to get this game today. I thought a game with very primitive 3D graphics would work on my dying computer, and it looked like the kind of game I'd really enjoy playing.

But it seems the game is a memory hog, and I don't have enough to keep it from slowing to a stuttering crawl after a few minutes. Ah well. At least I have a permanent license for the game if I ever get a computer with more memory. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Memory is hardly expensive, throw a few gig in there maybe? Telling us your specs might help people provide a few key areas where you might be able to improve the situaiton, but if your computer is "dying" I'm guess it's very old. Just upgrade and put a bullet in it already.

The short of it is I can't put more memory into this computer, and it's not worth it to do so even if I could. Also don't have the money for a new system.

LogisticEarth posted:

The game has some serious memory leak bugs in 1.8 right now.

I ended up coming to this conclusion too, after reading a little bit about things last night. Java's memory usage just keeps going up and up until it's used all my system resources. I don't know how to limit its usage though. I guess I just have to wait until a future patch fixes the issue?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

Make a batchfile that has the following "javaw -Xmx****M -Xms****M -jar "f:\minecraft\minecraft.exe"". Where the asterixs are, you put in (first field) the maximum amount of memory you want MC to use and the second for the starting amount.

I personally don't see MC memory leaking to an extent where it's unstable, but I gave it a very generous 6gig to play with.

I actually already did that, limiting Minecraft to 256MB. Java still eats up as much of my 2GB as it can though.

Ah well. I don't wanna tie up the thread with my problems. The bottom line is my computer sucks so bad it can't even handle Minecraft. You jerkwads go enjoy your fun game and I will just sit here hating everything.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 16, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
1.0.0 seems to play better on my system than the Beta did, but only if I continue using the batch file. Otherwise, it's constantly stuttering and couple seconds. But with the batch file (supposedly) limiting the memory Minecraft uses, it runs pretty smooth. Java eats up all my memory so I can only play for so long, and then when I stop playing I have to wait a few minutes before my computer can do anything else, but... Yay Minecraft!

I rerolled my world, and I have no idea if this is a new thing for the full game or just my luck, but I built a little wood house and started a mineshaft into the floor, which almost immediately broke into a gently caress-huge natural cave that sprawls out into a dozen different directions. During my first attempt to play, I never once found any natural caves, and here I'm literally sitting on one.

Anyone else notice anything like this?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Devoyniche posted:

Also what is the batch file this guy is talking about?

The one I use is "java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -cp Minecraft.exe net.minecraft.LauncherFrame"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm noticing Creepers don't seem to do as much damage now. Before they would totally eat a hole into the ground when they exploded and the splash damage would hurt bad. Now, they only break out a couple blocks, and you seem to take much less damage unless they're right on top of you. And I'm wearing a full iron armor set, so when they ARE right on top of me now, I only lose a heart or half a heart.

Also god drat this cave under my house is even bigger than I thought, and I thought it was loving huge before. It just keeps going, spreading further and going deeper. It's now opened into a room with a ceiling so high, I can't even see it, so I have to set up dirt towers to place torches so enemies don't spawn from the sky. Then I gotta go check out the bajillion other legs of the cave filled with rivers and lava and hopefully find some diamond.

Also maybe I should start figuring out have minecarts work.

Are they any good "instructional" playthroughs of this game on YouTube? Meaning, ones where you can see a person doing productive things to get an idea of what to do in your own game? I watched the Yogscast stuff, but they turned into a story about a thing and that's not helpful.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Enemies can't spawn in thin air, aside from Ghasts in the Nether. You don't need to light the ceiling or empty air, just horizontal surfaces.

Really? Then I have more exploring to do, because they're coming from SOMEWHERE close to this room that doesn't have any light. The ceiling is high enough that maybe somewhere, there's another little room that they're dropping down from or something. :sigh:

Maybe I'll set up stairs and a second (and third?) floor to segment this area and really chip away at it.

I'l check out Paul's videos, thanks. All the videos I ended up finding in my own searches were people with ADD, and their play style reflected as such. I just want to see how other people handle spelunking and setting up tracks and housing and productive mechanisms.

Not "I'm gonna put this rock here oh there's a tree gonna cut that wait what was I doing oh yeah gonna put some more rocks down and oh yeah I think it'd be cool if I had some lava pouring down my house hey what happens with I pour a bucket of lava and a bucket of water next to each other I'm gonna go look for some water and try it now oh wait it's night out let me finish my house and I need coal for torches because this is the first day and I have no coal I'm going to dig a hole straight down to the bottom of the map nope no coal here now I gotta fill it back up oh yeah my house man."

Also ALL these people made comments that they also had Call of Duty videos that they were taking a break from to do some Minecraft videos.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
What I was interested in seeing was some normal progression through the game that showed how to develop an efficient system to collect resources and explore the world.

In particular, I wanted to see how people set up rail systems for transport and resource collecting, but there doesn't seem to be any middle ground on YouTube between "These are minecarts. Here's what they do." and "Here's my elaborate railway station/rollercoster that has nothing to do with anything." So I'm guessing minecarts are kind of useless?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is there anything I should be doing with the copius amounts of dirt I collect through digging/mining, or should I keep trashing it? I've been using all my excess cobblestone to shape up my tunnels and make floors/stairs (which, by the way, makes underground navigation a LOT easier), but I haven't really found a decent use for dirt.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hate when you're underground and you can hear monsters or water somewhere and you have no idea where the hell the noises are coming from. Sounds apparently carry a bajillion blocks over and you can dig like crazy and never find another cavern. For all I know it's coming all the way from the surface.

What this game needs is the ability to craft divining rods. I'm genuinely surprised they're not already in the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mastiff posted:

Also, carry around a bucket of water. If you're exploring caves at that depth, you're going to run into a lot of lava pools, and it's a lot faster to dump water on them than it is to build dangerous bridges over them or mine around them.

Aren't diamonds more likely to appear around lava though? Digging out a safer route around a lava pool just means you might find a diamond cluster that you'd otherwise have missed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Machinima Man posted:

Now that I can see (found lava flow), I think I can definitely do that. Pickaxes are no longer an issue.

[e] Nevermind, a green dude just ran up to me and exploded. I died anyway.

For future reference, burning wood in a furnace makes charcoal, which you can use to make torches.

And keeping one block open to let moonlight in is usually fine, so long as it's at your feet and you don't stand in front of it. Only thing that can get in it is a skeleton's arrow, but they probably wouldn't go aggro on you to begin with, and you only need it open long enough to see where to place your bench and furnace.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I keep hearing enemy noises that sound like the start of a pigeon cooing. What the hell is that noise? I can never locate it to figure out who is making that loving annoying noise.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Those are the new Endermen sounds.

They're dumb. I guess I have a hidden cave nearby filled with Endermen then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can a fireplace be used instead of a furnace for smelting/cooking?

Also, how do I build a fireplace? The wiki doesn't cover it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

No, a fireplace would be merely decorative.

http://youtu.be/NVK3qWPkf-E

Here's a basic fireplace being built. Be careful if you're building it in a wooden house :v:

Nah, I started a new world and went right into building a stone tower instead of a wood house. Made those first few nights a little rough.

If a fireplace is purely decorative, then I won't worry too much about it. I thought I could use it in place of a furnace or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Man, I rerolled my map because I was getting too annoyed with the expansive tunnel system located right under my home.

So what do I get this time?

SUPER-CAVERN

After like, 20 blocks deep, it's just a giant, massive open space until the bottom, covered in alternating pools of lava and water. It's so dark and there are narrow ledges all over the place that it literally rains enemies down on me. Water pools pushing you towards lava while spiders and creepers are dropping on your head every couple seconds.

It's... Jesus Christ what do I do? :cry:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

wylker posted:

What do you do?? Post the seed.

I THINK I did this right, but I don't know how to put the info back in to check if you can generate the same seed for yourself and spawn at the same area that I travelled to.

Seed: -6816994412209084432
Spawn: -256, 64, 156
Player: -262.89, 82.62, 151.9

Also I don't know if this generates the world as it was when it was first created, or as it is now with my mining and tower-in-progress. If the tower is there, that'll help you find your way hopefully.

Edit: Since there's all the lava and water there, its basically a massive obsidian mine. Once I get some diamond and lanterns, I'll try to mine it out and start start filling it in with dirt. It also looks like it spreads further out in each direction, like a hallway, but I can't explore any further because of all the lava and constant rain of enemies. There's a few holes and caves nearby, so it might connect to them.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 10, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

messagemode1 posted:

The seed is the base value that the terrain generator uses to randomly decide where caverns spawn (it's the world when it was first created) so whatever you do on your end doesn't matter and won't show to other people.

A handful of digits can't somehow tell everyone all of your mining and building actions. Oh jamesman, you silly man. :allears:

I don't know these things. I thought since I was finding out the seed number from the save data file, it might have been based on the current state of my game. Now I know otherwise I guess.

Anyway, enjoy the seed I guess. It's got some pretty dense forest and some tall mountains, so you need to clear out the land a bit before you build a house unless you just want to build right into a mountain.

Oh, and there's a desert right nearby too, so lots of sand.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Senator Woofington posted:

Not trying to be a dick, but how would you think that a long number would be capable of defining not only terrain generation, but all the thousands of possible things a player can do on the map?

Short answer is I just didn't know if it did or didn't. Now I know it doesn't, so there we go.

I'm gonna go back to breaking down a mountain now because it's blocking my view from my tower. Also I ran out of iron so I'm using stone tools like a caveman. :(

Oh, and if anyone loads up that seed, let me know. Also go to that spawn point and tell me what you think of the SUPER-CAVE once you dig to it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Senator Woofington posted:

In no way does that answer the question but whatever. Also it could be worse, it could be... *shudder* wood tools.

I only use one wood tool one time in any new game - Make a pickaxe, mine 3 stone, never use wood tools ever again.

To elaborate, it's the line of thinking that Arrath said. I didn't know if I was obtaining a seed number based on the game world in its current state, or just recalling the seed number from when the world was first created. I thought since a character string can generate a game world, it might give you a different character string to represent changed values of the game world, like a password system.

But now I know better, but only a little better.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I swear sometimes monsters are just like "gently caress it" and will spawn/chill out in lighted areas just to gently caress with you. Hell, I had an Enderman just having a loving blast playing with blocks in the daytime just yesterday.

He was so happy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It should have been much more obvious to me when I started attempting to level a mountain, but attempting to level a mountain takes a really long time.

To try and explain the situation and why I am trying to take down the mountain, I drew a picture to help you understand what the world looks like.

In front of my tower, I can see fairly well, even though there are many trees. But behind my tower, the mountain blocks my view completely. Even if I build it higher, I'll still just see mountain. To top it off, the mountain has an overhang which always casts a shadow, constantly spawning enemies and letting them survive during the day.

Just past the mountain is a nice valley with a big lake, which would be not only nice to see, but I'm sure I could find plenty of uses for a nice big lake.

Therefore, the mountain must go.

You can also see that in front of my tower is the entrance to SUPER CAVE. It's covered with glass to prevent falling into it, while allowing some daylight to come in and make things at least a tiny bit visible. After digging down 20-25 blocks, it just opens into a cavern that doesn't stop until it hits the bottom of the map. It's pure evil.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
The work is already started on tearing down the mountain. I've been laying into it and carving out how far down and out and around I'm going to take it and I've been cutting large sunholes through and demolishing land bridges that connected it to other mountains. He's going to die for sure.

The current challenges I have come across in my game are to beat Jerk Mountain and SUPER CAVE. To do that, I have to tear down Jerk Mountain and use his remains to fill up SUPER CAVE. They're like boss fights or something.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some more of Jamesman's Minecraft Story Time.

I've been trying not to get too crazy with my digging directions and going all over the place. I haven't gotten to the point of graphs and or anything, but I'm trying to be more conscious of "OK maybe I shouldn't dig too far in this direction" or "OK so I turned left and dug down, so I'll dig to the left and then left again, and maybe dig back up." Just trying to keep everything tight.

Even without getting too analytical and not keeping track of my paths, it's amazing how everything's been connecting together. I'll be digging along and then a little light'll peek through and OH! Hey those are the entrance stairs! Awesome shortcut!

As I got deeper down looking for some iron, I got a little faster and looser with my directions, but once again, a little light poked through eventually. Except it wasn't one of mine... It was a shallow lava pool. Well, that'll make for some fine obsidian when I can mine it up. There was also gold and iron and redstone, and mining further past it lead to another lava pool, and then a lava flow, and finally a natural cave system.

Soooooo, I figured being so deep and so far from my series of connected tunnels, I should just bite the bullet and dig up to the surface. Laying out ladders, climing them, and digging up, and then I'd just have to figure out where the hell I was and hope I wasn't too far from my tower.

After a lot of digging (I was at bedrock level), I finally broke through to the surface. I get out, and look at my surroundings.

I'm at the base of Jerk Mountain, to the right of my tower. Not even a little way's into the mountain. Right at ground level, right against the mountain. I'm just that good. :smug:

So I'm thinking that cave system might connect to SUPER CAVE. I'm not sure if I should explore it now or wait until I've finished destroying Jerk Mountain.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey.

Hey.

gently caress lava.

Also gently caress creepers.

Blowing me up and blowing up the only thing separating me from a pool of lava god dammit now I have nothing and I hate everything.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
SUPER-CAVE connects to the tunnel system I've been exploring and refining. A little further down from where I've been popping out from the tunnels is where I dug down from above, but I can't connect the two paths yet. I also found and secured a dungeon with a spider spawner in it.

Now if I could just find some goddamned diamond. I have 5 of them before, but the loving creeper blew up the ground separating me from a laval pool and I couldn't climb back out and lost everything. Now I only have a single diamond, and I don't think a pretty blue shovel will get me very far.

By the way, do all food/plant types appear in all biomes? Will I be able to fine pumpkims and watermelons and sugarcane and stuff in my forest/hill/mountain/desert map? Because I could really use all of those things but I don't even know where to go looking for them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really wish the Yogscast guys would stop with the forced story stuff and just go back to actually playing the game. I got really bored of their pretend adventure where they just walked around a pre-built setting and didn't do anything. I want to see them actually working to find and build poo poo like when they first started doing their videos.

Also I tamed a wolf today. He's very lively. I named him Roscoe Bixby because that's the first thing that came to mind.

Also also, there is a cow somehwere underground near my tower. It is always mooing when I go outside but there are no caves or holes or anything that a cow would have wandered into, and none of the tunnels I've explored have connected to or come close to this mystery area. There's just a cow chilling out in an underground bunker a few blocks beneath the grass and I can't figure out where, and it won't stop mooing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

criscodisco posted:

Has the wolf AI changed at all? I haven't tried taming one since they were first introduced, because I tamed a whole pack, they followed me home and all immediately jumped into my fireplace.

He likes to run around in circles and bark a lot. I tried to feed him and found out that if he's not hurt, it just makes him sit, so I made him sit inside my house, and I don't think I'm going to have him do much else.

Luckily I have no open flames in my house.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pudding Huxtable posted:

:ohdear:

What if it's something serious? Then we'll all feel like jerks. But then again he could've accidentally ate his $5000 wristwatch.

Yogscast were officially hired on to work on the game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I finally found the underground cow.

I got fed up with his mysterious mooing and decided to start looking for the bastard, so I began my stairway down into the ground. About 6 or 7 blocks down, the mooing got quiet and then stopped. OK, he's gotta be like RIGHT under the ground then. So I went back up a few steps and picked a direction, and started digging.

Mooing got quiet again. Backed up a little, turned right, and went straight until it got quiet again. Repeat until I completed the circle. Then I cut through the middle of the path. Then I dug out all the rest. Still now cow. Digging a little further down, and the sound would disappear. Dig a little further up, and it's the surface. WHAT THE gently caress, COW?

So I go to return to my tower to replace my tools and dump some stone and dirt, and consider making some dynamite to blow the whole area the gently caress up until I find the loving cow, when out the corner of my eye I notice THE COW PEEKING AT ME FROM A loving TREE. It must have gotten caught on it during its growth. So the underground cow wasn't underground at all!

I cut it down (with minor injuries) and lead it back to my tower, where it's now happily wandering around outside.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

A Sassy Dog posted:

It's important to remember that, at this time, sound is 2D. There isn't any way to figure out the height of a noisy NPC (cow, zombie, etc..) without using debug overlays.

Was it always this way? I seem to remember a time when this wasn't an issue.

It's an absolute pain in the rear end to tell where sounds are coming from, especially if it's above or below you. It DOES seem like more recently, there's been some implementation of left and right channels, which I'm pretty sure wasn't always the case. And there are differing levels of volume depending on distance, but the definition of "close" is like "0-a bajillion blocks" or something, then "medium" is only a range of a few blocks, and then "far" is complete silence. They need to fix this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Aren't sheep supposed to grow back their wool? Or has that not been implemented yet? I got all these naked sheep and I'm just waiting for them to grow more wool.

I found some more diamonds, and I built an enchantment table with the plan that I'd enchant my pickaxe with the "get more of a thing when you mine it" enchatment, but I placed the table in the wrong spot. So I punched it to collect it again and place it where I wanted it, only to find out it disappears when you do that. :mad: So I had to mine out more diamonds to make another table. Now there's only 2 diamond ores left. :(

Anyway, I've been lucking out with everything connecting to everything with my mining and tunneling and whatnot, but now I'm starting to get lost and turned around. Does anyone have any tips on how to mark your tunnels to keep them all straightened out?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Good luck on getting that specific enchantment, I haven't seen it yet.

Yeah. It turns out I do not understand the enchanting wiki page at all. When it comes to numbers, I cannot process anything.

krushgroove posted:

Cool, I should be OK then, I probably don't really need the pens now that I've seen how the various animals stay in one area pretty much.

I believe the sheep are supposed to eat the grass (as in, the green layer on top of dirt blocks), so you just need to have them in a pen with dirt blocks for a floor. No reason to let them out if you already have that.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 16, 2011

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
What do you mean by "use less items?" Where did multiple items come into play for enchanting? :psyduck:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So let me see if I have this right, in as simple an understanding as possible.

When you put an enchantable item on the table, it comes up with three random numbers, which are levels of experience to spend on enchantments. You pick one, and one or more enchantments are picked at random for the item.

The more experience you spend, the better your chances are of getting high-powered and multiple enchantments. Some have a minimum/maximum experience level, so if you want to ensure NOT getting a specific enchatment, you have to make sure you're out of its experience range.

And bookcases let the table "roll" higher experience numbers for you to buy enchantments with.

Do I have this all straight?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I still cannot find any pumpkins. I wandered off to the west and found another desert area, then wandered off the map. Had to build an impromptu sand home with just enough room for a bed (and almost died from getting smothered in the ceiling upon morning).

Then headed north and east to find a swamp. Lots of mushrooms. No pumpkins. Headed back south to my base, slaughtering pigs along the way in my frustration.

Is it possible for a biome to be generated without pumpkins?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fledgling Gulps posted:

^^^ I find pumpkins mostly in grasslands and mountains. You can also find pumpkin seeds in chests.

I'm living in a mountain/forest area, with grasslands not far away. No sing of any pumpkins.

I've found two monster spawner places, but neither had pumpkin seeds in them. Just a whole lot of saddles and some iron and cocoa beans.

Oh, and the game just crashed on me because it ran out of memory. Someone buy me a new computer for Christmas please? :smith:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Find a abandoned mine shaft, pretty hard not to when spelunking, and wander around for chests. They usually have a bunch and pumpkin/melon seeds are pretty common

And I just found one!

I was exploring some more of the overworld, and I had my map out, watching to make sure I filled in a gap between two spots, and I almost fell right into a huge chasm. When I looked down, it had bits of wood planks and cobwebs and minecart tracks and a chest and poo poo. Literally out in broad daylight.

Came back with some ladders to climb down, and now I have some melon and pumpkin seeds. :)

BUT, Minecraft had another memory crash. I think by wandering around the overworld so much, I forced the game to need more memory than I have to give it, so now it's always going to crash. I don't think I can play it anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Chickens are assholes. You can't lure them with wheat* like you can with other livestock, and they loving jump around all over the place and are surprisingly smart about not wanting to be trapped.

I managed to trap three of them in dirt pens, and I head out to them to collect eggs, which I then throw into my fenced-in pen in hopes they'll hatch. So far, one has. But then every time I exit a pen, they all freak out and they're like "AN EXIT THERE'S AN EXIT THERE HOLY poo poo!" and they run after me trying to escape. I can't imagine filling a pen with them.

So how am I supposed to manage chickens? With all my livestock, I've dug the pens 2-3 blocks down to prevent them from somehow jumping the fences, but chickens freak out as soon as they know there's an opening.

*I REALLY wish I knew about the wheat thing BEFORE I spent an unspeakable amount of time shoving my first two pigs across the map. The second one was so stubborn, I finally built a dirt pathway leading into the pen, blocking his way back every few steps.