Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Loving Life Partner posted:

Apparently if you beat a gravel block and then stick a torch under it, the rest will just fall out as pickups

You won't get flint by mining gravel that way though, only gravel blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I did the "1km track at bedrock level in the nether" thing in my SSP world to get to a new area before 1.8, and after turning on villages and strongholds, I just loaded it up in 1.8 pre and jumped through the portal at the other end, only to end up on a little floating obsidian platform over a swamp. (It was night by the time I got there, so I built that bridge with torches.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Ah, thanks for doing this! I figured it would work, but after XX hours developing "new spawn" in the nether, it's good to see confirmation that this does indeed work!

I used the Equivalent Exchange mod to facilitate digging the long tunnel, since digging a 3x3x1000 tunnel by hand would be a fantastic pain in the rear end. (I still had to light it, lay track, and space out the redstone torches / powered rail, but that was easier.) Here's another thing I found at the other end:

A naturally-occurring mountain that looks like an AT-AT.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but window panes form corners. Thanks to this, I tweaked someone's sconce design from earlier in the thread to make a large stone "lantern":

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Hadlock posted:

What server do you play on?

I don't play on any server at the moment, all the stuff I've made is in single player. (Also I don't think EE works in SMP yet.) I'd probably be more interested in joining a server that's just starting up than one that's established; I've visited a couple, and all I manage to do is get lost amongst the existing structures or blown up by creepers.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I'm trying to set up a new world on my personal server and I want to make a little spawn area. Is there anyway to switch a map from creative to survival once I start it? So that way I can build what I want than switch to survival once it's built?

Open the level.dat in NBTedit and change the GameType - 0 is Survival, 1 is Creative.

YJT posted:

This definitely was an issue, I can't find confirmation but I'm sure I read somewhere that Jeb had fixed this and the villages can now be generated in new chunks on an old world. I don't think strongholds can though.

Yeah, this was fixed in pre2 - when you load an old world with 1.8, it automatically sets the MapFeatures (which you can change with NBTedit) to 1, which enables "structures". I don't know if it will still spawn strongholds in previously ungenerated chunks, but it's supposed to spawn villages.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Since melons and pumpkins pop when pushed by pistons, I decided to knock together farms that harvest them that way; it beats the hell out of smashing a bunch of them by hand and saves tool wear. All I have to do is run around the farm and grab the dropped ones, then re-plow the plots where there were melons. As a bonus, pushing a farmland block doesn't revert it to dirt, in case you want to harvest a farm that hasn't grown 100%.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NII_T6SFT_M

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

Notch just tweeted about these - apparently they're called "Mooshrooms" and they can be harvested with shears.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

For anyone having trouble with running out of food - get some eggs and chuck them into an enclosed area (a fenced-in area that's 5x5 inside is plenty) to get some captive chickens; since chickens lay the eggs, they (and feathers) are technically a renewable resource. If you're really hurting for renewability, charcoal (to power a furnace to cook the chicken) is also renewable since it comes from trees.

Internet Kraken posted:

Harvest what? Mushrooms growing on the cow? The cow itself?
I would assume the mushrooms because he said "they can be sheared".

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Edit: I don't know what's causing the "out of memory" error for everyone; I haven't seen it once in 1.8, even the pre and pre2 versions.

Bash Ironfist posted:

updating java fixed that for me. I was using 32 instead of 64. Uninstalled 32, installed 64, and haven't crashed once since! Try updating java!

If you're still using 32 bit browsers, you should have both. They're not mutually exclusive.

Also, I don't know if anyone else launches Minecraft through Steam, but using 64 bit Java breaks the Steam overlay in Minecraft. (I mostly use it for screenshots, which I can then upload to my Steam profile.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

TehKeen posted:

powered minecarts

powered rails

Wait until you find more gold; powered minecarts are terrible. (I seem to recall notch or jeb_ saying they would make improvements, probably for 1.9.) You only need 2-3 segments of powered track to start (if you butt the end up against a wall and put a button on the wall above it, it'll launch the cart if its on the first segment when you press the button) and one every 35 track segments or so (with a redstone torch next to or under it) to maintain speed on a flat surface.

Krinkle posted:

can you ride a track in a circle for a while to get the achievement or does it seriously have to be a mile in absolute distance?

You have to ride it a kilometer away from where you started. I made a video of it when I got it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZZSrtFWiAY

mrwuss posted:

Can servers be given a seed for map gen yet? With the use of bukkit would be preferred. (well for when they release the new 1.8 wrapper)

You have two options - there's an entry for level-seed in the server.properties, or you can generate the world in single player and copy it to the server, setting the world name appropriately in the server.properties. (This makes it possible to convert a single player world into a multiplayer world.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ziir posted:

First time really playing Minecraft and I decided I wanted to build a floating island, so I found a small island off of the shore by where I spawned and got to work building an island in the sky (and in the process, work on sinking the island so there's nothing under it). To access it, I wanted a water shaft that would be connected to an underwater tunnel connected to an outpost on the mainland. Once I got grass up to the island, I destroyed the dirt spiral I had and replaced it with the glass and filled it with water.

Then I found out that my island is too tall to survive swimming up to :(. What should I do? I have so many ideas for this :(.

Water elevators are funny - having any blocks directly adjacent to them (not at diagonals) makes you swim up far more slowly. If you remove the middle blocks of the sides in that glass tube, not only will you climb faster, you'll be able to do it with your body half-out of the water so you won't drown.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Senator Woofington posted:

He should just make it so endermen only pick up blocks like dirt and stone. no wood or other building material.

Or make it so they can only pick up non-tree blocks that weren't placed by a player. (It is possible to tell the difference, since player-placed leaf blocks don't decay if not in range of wood.)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I've seen a program called "Minecraft Profile Manager" (to let you easily switch between versions of Minecraft) mentioned multiple times in this thread, but searching that on Google just gives a bunch of sketchy looking results. Could someone post a link for where to get the one you're using?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

Goon made program to keep different versions of Minecraft (updates or mods) installed and easy to switch between. Don't have the download link handy, but it should be in this thread.

Nope, searching the thread for 'profile manager' just comes up with people talking about it, no links.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Jetsetlemming posted:

Check the op of the minecraft modding thread.

Ah, there it is. I looked over that before but I must have missed it. Thanks.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

1.8.1 definitely had it turning to cobble. I wonder why the change?

Not that it matters much, since stone turns to cobble when you mine it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Since we're sharing farm designs, here's my first significant foray into using pistons, for wheat and sugarcane farming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKwAR7oNH8

I'm sure I could make the sugarcane more efficient (as in easier to collect) but I'm not 100% sure if it's possible without expanding the building. Edit: The wheat farm has been altered since then to better conceal the redstone, and there are several water blocks under the glass wall blocks to keep the farmland irrigated.

Also, my melon/pumpkin farms again that I posted a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NII_T6SFT_M

I'm not entirely sure there's not an easier way to collect these (outside of mods) but the total harvest is pretty good.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nenonen posted:

They weren't present in 1.8

Actually wolves are present in 1.8, they're just way more rare than they should be. I think I found one, and that was while filling out a map.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Did tame wolves always shake off when they get out of water?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

MrChupon posted:

I could have sworn I tried this in 1.8.1, and the "fuel" slot in the furnace never took on the lava bucket picture where it would normally show coal -- it was just a blank grey square. Yet I was still able to smelt things, and it ate the lava and bucket. (i think, I'm at work or I'd try it again.)

Furnace fuel doesn't last for a certain number of smelts, it lasts for a period of time. (The usual quoted number is the maximum number of items you can do in the time that fuel source lasts.) If you throw in a piece of coal and smelt less than 8 items, it will still burn up the whole piece of coal.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Someone mentioned "Explosive Chicken Decompression" earlier in the thread. This is probably the hardest I've ever made myself laugh in a video game...this is definitely a project that requires hours of egg throwing (and recording software).

Now I'm tempted to build a containment unit that allows deliberate explosive chicken decompression on demand via pistons, just to see the results.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah and a lot of mod consumers act like they are entitled to free mods without even the slightest inconvenience.

No other game modding community has the collective sense of entitlement that the Minecraft modding community (in general) has. With all the hassle and malware and controversy and poo poo, I'm surprised they're still allowing adfly links there at all. If they want to make money and not be annoying, they should set up a site with Google text ads, link the page with ads for the download link, and get paid from that.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Because you need a diamond pickaxe to mine obsidian

You don't actually need to mine any obsidian to make a portal. You just need a bucket of lava, some water, and some redstone and you can cast a portal.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Nenonen posted:

You would still need a special tool (a diamond pickaxe) if you wanted to remove that obsidian of yours, unlike everything else in the game. Hence the different behaviour with pistons.

True.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Probably the as-yet unfixed (?) redstone-to-obsidian bug.

Correct. Obsidian generation via redstone next to downward-flowing water (this method) still works in 1.9pre3.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The fact that XP doesn't 'fully' use 4g leads me to think to upgrade to Win7, but just upgrading to Win7 won't help the memory issues in minecraft... or would it?

Upgrading both won't help with your memory issues unless you get (or already have) a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of 7. It's not the version of Windows that is the issue, it's the bits - 32 bit simply can't address more than 4GB, and various things get counted against that (like video RAM), so the expected max on any 32 bit version of Windows is about 3.5GB.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Joeslop posted:

...huh. I've been away too long.

It's a thing they forgot to take out before pushing 1.9pre3. Don't expect it to be in 1.9 final.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Zoe posted:

If you're using painterly (like Jesus intended) you get to be a mighty king.

You can also have gag gold tools that look like a bunch of gold bars stuck together on a stick.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

I have downloaded the 64-bit version of java and installed the 64-bit version of java. Is minecraft now using the 64-bit version of java?

It should be. If you want to check, next time you run it, check your Task Manager. If the javaw.exe doesn't have a *32 next to it, then it's running in 64 bit Java.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Times posted:

You'd probably want to make it larger than scale by a bit just to have room to add little detail to rides and attractions though.

I know this isn't the modding thread, but the RedPower mod adds a variety of fractional blocks based on most/all of the default blocks, which are very useful for detail. You can cut blocks into 1/2, 1/4, or 1/8 thickness, each of those can be re-cut in half the other way to get strips, and those can be re-cut again to make even smaller blocks. (In addition, the fractional blocks can co-exist in a single block space with each other and with the RedPower wires it adds, which makes hiding and organizing wires way easier than with default redstone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

kas posted:

Yes, you're using the deadfly plugin to disable adfly links, and the plugin is coded like a piece of poo poo and thinks the painterly preview images are adfly ads and reloads your page.

Solution: Set it only to work on domains that you know have adfly links, like minecraftforum.net and mod-buildcraft.com. It fucks up a LOT of websites; it shouldn't run on every single site.