Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Boat posted:

It's toggleable when set to caps lock on OS X :smug:

How do you do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Notch is livestreaming for everyone his magic game-creation process... If you've ever bitched about Notch's ability to program, now's the time to watch and scoff!

http://www.livestream.com/mojang

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Endermen get hurt in water! An M. Night Shyamalan twist!

Also, they just place the blocks they carry around down randomly.

Also, rivers and new more dramatic biome code. Mountain ranges.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Newest notch post:

Notch posted:

Game development is fun. There’s programming, design, testing and just plain good old silliness. Here’s a brief snapshot - a retelling of what I did this weekend!

I was putting in a few extra hours on Minecraft this weekend, refactoring code so biomes could directly decorate the terrain themselves rather than having the terrain check the biomes manually. That type of work is mostly just busy work, so it wasn’t very interesting from a design perspective, but it was very rewarding form a programming perspective. Things were starting to fall into place, and biomes became much “cleaner”.

One of the results of that was the first draft of a swamp biome, which I posted a screenshot of. I got crazy amounts of great feedback on how to make it look swampier (it kinda looks like a happy grove at the moment), and almost all of them are entirely doable by only changing the SwampBiome.java class. Feels good!

While testing the biome code, I started running out of food in the game and started hunting animals. Cows would just stand there, looking at me as I mashed them over and over to get their precious loot, so I figured I’d just make that mechanic a bit more fun. Four lines of code later, and animals now flee randomly after taking damage. Hunting animals suddenly became a lot more fun and morally questionable as pigs would storm off grunting and chicken (or whatever the heck they are) would jump into ravines. But the real fun came later on.

Someone tweeted me about a joking campaign to add 3d modeled snouts to the pigs in Minecraft, so I did. While doing so, I groaned at how the Cube class has an “addBox” method that actually means “replaceBox”, and how it really should be a “Shape” class with an “addBox” method that actually does what it says. Right now every box in a model has to be individually animated to match the part it’s attached to, and there’s no grouping or hierarcy. This is the reason why the horns on the cows are in the wrong location sometimes. I didn’t fix the code for this, as I was running out of weekend, but I made a mental note to fix it asap.

Reddit loved my pic of a pig with a 3d snout. I got sooo much precious link karma.

Back to doing some further testing. I was exploring a forest biome, hit upon a river cutting through it, and walked over a small hill. On the other side, a wolf was chasing a sheep, but the sheep was running away. I didn’t have this in mind when I wrote the code to make mobs flee, but it ended up giving me an unexpected experience of having some kind of echo system of competing behaviors in various animals, and it just felt.. nice. It made me realize we should explore more mob to mob interactions, and have more chaotic competing behavior.

I’m doing a high priority secret project this week (a prototype for a future possible project), but I already have at least three things I want to work on as soon as I get back on Minecraft work next week.

The reason it’s still fun is you. The community. Thank you. <3

TL;DR - Animals run away now when you attack them.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

I have played this game for a longass time and I still don't understand how you are supposed to harvest obsidian from multiple-level-deep lava pools without losing a lot of it. I can go around the edges and shift+mine and sort of hover over the lava for a split second so the block gets sucked into my inventory but then I have to put more water down and repeat. Is there a faster way to do this?

I wanted to build a tunnel but it ends up straight in a lava pool and I wanted to mine the lava away and get a shitload of obsidian but it wouldn't be worth it with the way I am doing it now.

Turn all of the top layer to obsidian.
Dig around the edges of the lava pool.
Pour in water when you break through to lava.
Harvest sides, pouring water the second you break through.
Repeat (slowly).

Or just make a bunch of buckets and take lava directly out.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Actually, in 1.8, no matter how far out you get, you just get infinite oceans past 3,000,000 x or y, apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kurtjmac

This does not bode well for Kurt J. Mac, the guy doing "Far Lands or Bust" in which he raises money for charity while walking to the far lands.

That's not true. The new engine implemented a fractal land/ocean generation system (this going off an old tweet by notch). What does that mean? There are going to be huge, huge areas of ocean. Most likely notch will end up tweaking it to make land slightly more prevalent, but endless large oceans are now the norm in minecraft. It doesn't surprise me that popping out of the nether will, most likely, drop you somewhere over water now.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Frobbe posted:

The Fog Toggle key has returned! hurrah!

Notch posted:

Remember when I took out the F key? @jeb_ put it back in. So I took it out again. ;) It doesn't BELONG! #codewar
Enjoy it while it lasts.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

If you use pistons, a T flip flop becomes much smaller footprint-wise

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Tried out that map, the main problem I found is that if you place something on the bottom "row" of blocks on the island, you will under no circumstances be able to recover it. Blocks mined below your feet rarely if ever pop up high enough for you to collect them, so you have to be very careful where you place things. I lost most of my dirt before I remembered this. Other than that, it's a pretty neat challenge!

1) Use bucket to place water source at edge of island
2) Jump in water, sink slightly looking up and place cobblestone under island
3) Rise back up, jump out, and enjoy your new slightly lower "bottom"

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Courtesy of notch's twitter

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

If the yogscast video was any indication, I can't wait for thousands of people to ragequit minecraft over seeing some virtual poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

They question of "Why did he bother to do that using redstone in Minecraft? What a sperg :rolleyes:. And a waste of time :smug:" is a stupid one. Why do you do anything in minecraft? Why don't you build a real house, instead of wasting your time on your little virtual block hut? Why don't you start a real garden instead of farming cyber-wheat, you silly baby? Why don't you go down to Michael's and buy some real crafting materials and develop a hobby that might actually be worth something, you dumb nerd?

:smug: