Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Does the '2x2 square of infinite water' trick work with lava as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 3D first-person Lego simulator. Just saying. :colbert:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I've had this game since armor was added, but I've never really taken the time to make a truly cozy house. Squared hovels, tiny shacks, and weird cave-dwellings were the best I had managed, though every now and then I made castle walls and never filled them. So today I gathered up some materials (turns out sloped roofs take a lot of wood) and tried to make something aesthetically pleasing.

It's still pretty square, but it's a nice little house and I'm pretty proud of it.
Green wood is just texture-packed green wool.
That's a lovely house but doesn't that overhanging bit offer sun protection to zombies and skeletons?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Is there a list of really awesome worldgen seeds anywhere? I know about gargamel but I'm curious to see alternatives. Heck, if there isn't a decent list anywhere, I'd be happy to have a go at compiling one.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Besides the list of seeds link in the OP?
I have that thread bookmarked as well! This is not a good morning for me. :doh:

Playing on the Toilet Roll seed (a massive arctic world that I linked to in that thread) I finally managed to tame a wolf and have it become my sidekick. I had to carve a 1x1 hole next to my front door so he could get through, kind of like a doggie door. :3:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Eh, I just dig a trench 2 squares deep around my base and leave it for zombies/skeletons/creepers to fall into at night. As for spiders, I carve a 1-square deep groove into the walls of the buildings just below the top. That way they get stuck just under the top of my base, and I can hack them with the sword at my leisure.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

I just witnessed a three-way fight between a zombie, a skeleton and a creeper. I was climbing out of an underground cave, when a skeleton arrow hit me and knocked me back, out of the way of the zombie's arms. The next arrow fired hit the zombie, who promptly turned on the skeleton.

Zombie hit the skeleton, who fired at it and missed. The arrow instead hit a creeper, which promptly ran over and detonated itself, killing all three of them. Cue me laughing myself silly before running over and harvesting the leftover dirt/stone/feathers. :D

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Desperate Character posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo we can finally smelt netherrack to make netherbrick :aaa:
Thank god. Having to venture into the Nether every time I want to use red bricks in my fortress design gets tiresome quickly.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

TShields posted:

Bah, I thought I found a floor full of Obsidian but it turned out to be bedrock. I didn't realize how it spawned. I did find some diamond though, so silver lining.

Watching the Yogscast videos solidifies how much I wish I had someone to play with. :smith:

Enzer posted:

The Private Game Server subforums has plenty of goon run servers, there should be a server to fit your play style among the list of them.
Limecraft is a good server if you're new to online Minecraft. You get free diamond tools, torches, food and EXP at the spawn, and the only real rule is "Don't be a dick and mess with people or their stuff". :)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Fnoigy posted:

Naturally, horses have issues with weak leg bones, so should you fall more than 3 blocks, your horse will sustain a broken leg and be unable to walk anymore. You will be forced to dismount it and tearfully draw a bow (which is now a required item for taming horses) and put the beast out of its misery. Causes a 30-second mourning debuff.
And produces an edible burger.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Does that make this the first ever publicly-shared Minecraft construction?

"Built a bridge"
Oh god, that neon-green grass actually hurts my eyes :stare:

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Speaking of underwater stuff, here's the glass base I just built at the bottom of the ocean. I know this sort of thing is old hat by now, but it's my first one and I'm rather proud of it. :shobon:

Full gallery: http://imgur.com/a/urGVT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I wish I had the patience to build stuff underwater. I always get the framework of whatever I want to build and then get bored when filtering out all the water. I miss Minecraft's ridiculous old water physics where water would fill and drain infinitely for no good reason.
I found myself putting on podcasts and Youtube videos to pass the time while draining the arboretum out. :v:

Also squid are my #1 problem when it comes to building underwater. They usually get in the way when placing blocks, and having a squid's gaping toothy maw in my face isn't pleasant at the best of times. :argh:

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 8, 2013