Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So this may be the place to post pictures of projects, I guess.

Here's my newest house, which I scouted out and built simply because I wanted to make a piston bridge.

Bridge down, you can see the waterfall structure at the front:

Bridge up:

Here's the waterfall structure up close you can see some Redstone inside:

This is the inside of that room.

These are the Open and Close command buttons for the door on the outside. I have setup of two sticky pistons with cobble as my door. It took me the better part of the night to figure out how to wire it correctly, mostly because I never messed with Redstone before building this:

And here's some pictures of the top floor, which is going to be a little nature sanctuary with some glass for the roof eventually:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

glug posted:

The one time I tried building double iron doors I realized what a goddamned mess it is to build *any* gate, and how much underground space it requires. I'm having enough of a time wiring up two tone doorbells to these existing gates now. That being said, putting two stone blocks across the middle of the 3x2 doorway when I'm inside results in piles of gunpowder, features and arrows. :)

You may be better off running the NOR gate I have in the pictures above. It's fairly simple, not as nice as just having the door open via pressure pad, but it works with buttons. The only issue is that you'll need one for opening and closing in the door on both sides. The nice thing is that the circuit itself is fairly compact, about six squares before you wire any of the buttons.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mentholmoose posted:

I broke my ankle a couple months back and had a lot of free time, so I built a baseball stadium. Here's a couple select images that I took:

And the whole album.

I keep saying that I'll make something like this, but every time I start on it I decide on building another giant box house instead. I lack creativity I think.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

For the first time I think I've finished building a house in this game. Right now I have six or so, not including random outposts near resources. Every time I start building something I get bored with the area and move on or go exploring. With this place I've found almost endless resources within only a few chunks at the most and have made things like an indoor forest, a wrap around minecart path to the master bedroom at the very top and some pretty good redstone circuits.

Basically, I'm wondering if maybe it's time for me to move on. I've scouted some distant resources and built an outpost near the edge of my map, but I doubt it will be as rich an area as this one. How do you guys figure you are "done" with a building? I still think there is some potential in this place for more upgrades and I keep finding Iron and Diamond and such, but I get the feeling I'm overstaying my welcome there somehow.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I finally have the piston elevator I have dreamed of since they were introduced. It was the second thing I tried to build with them, after a bridge, and it's always eluded me. The first design I tried was two sticky and two normal pistons, where the sticky would be used to push up the non sticky piston, then it would extend and pull itself up. The trouble was that after three floors if was difficult to actually time everything correctly and not set off the two pistons needed to go in the opposite direction.

A few days ago I found a piston system a guy came up with that was much better. Basically it's a rectangle with four pistons at the corners. Using trap doors on some sort of backing and then wood or stone slabs you can make little elevator cars. Once you work the bugs out (piston opening/closing a door instead of pushing it, piston straight up refusing to actually push an object, piston pushing the object behind it for no real reason) it's a great system.

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but the video said you can only really make it in 3, 6 or 12 block sizes, so your limited in floors it can access. I built mine to 14 and it works ok.

Here's the video I used for anyone interested in this design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGktl0IZ-M

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Allen Wren posted:

That is a genius design. So genius I immediately had to run to my SMP server and build one of my own. Unfortunately, I am apparently an inveterate fuckup, and can't build it correctly. Sadness. Somehow the pistons fall out of sync and I end up with situations where the pistons will all be pushing (or all but one will be pushing for no clear reason) blocks of empty air. I will have to rewatch the video and look for what I did wrong when I am not as tired as I currently am.

I had that set of issues at first as well. I found not using any repeaters kept things going well. If you make it taller than say, six blocks the torches will act as repeaters and keep things in line. It's important that before the elevator starts that the top two pistons are ON and the bottom right/pushing up piston has nothing above it. This will cause the correct set of actions, the bottom right piston will move something into the up piston just as it pushes, which will cause something to get in the now empty space in the top right square, which will push something into the space going down the next cycle. It is a little buggy as I mentioned before, but is as simple as elevators get with fewer resources than most of what is out there.

Does anyone know of a good, free recording program? Most of what I find turns on my computer's microphone and all you hear are clicks as I record tours of my building. It's not a big deal when you are opening a few doors, but when the video is being made to keep a record of how to build something it gets old.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Allen Wren posted:

Wait, the top two need to be on? I thought all four had to be off before the clock starts, hence the top-row torch in the 6-high? (I'm building the 6-high first since that's the size I'd be using anyway, then installing an identical one in the building.)

(I have pretty bad hearing---too many amplifiers---so if you mentioned it in the video and I missed it, my bad.)

It's not my video, but it's the guide I used to build mine. The top two pistons need to be on or not have anything directly in front of them for this to work, based on what was in the video. At a certain height the top two should be on by default. When I made mine originally the top two were off by design and it didn't work, but when I put them on it worked fine. It may be different at six blocks, but I don't understand small scale anything and won't really ever build something that short.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mrpwase posted:

I find myself scoffing at goons claiming they're terrified by supposedly scary things in Minecraft, and then I actually play it and jump a mile high when I hear a sheep baa-ing right behind me or something. I am a stereotypical movie tough guy. :sigh:

I have a bad habit of running through uexplored caves if something starts shooting at me. Last time I did that I ended up in a room with 3 creepers. I was already on edge, and the sight of three creepers in a small space made me jump.

Minecraft is one of thise games that creates a few scary moments that can be more terrifying than a horror game when it is trying.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I don't get why anyone is complaining over the changes in 1.8. I know I'll have to justify them to my girlfriend because she doesn't like change, but they all make sense to me.
Sprinting producing a knockback is going to be especially helpful, and the hunger meter and regenerating health relationship makes sense. Villages, abandoned mines and new biomes will all be welcome additions. The game will really feel more fully realized with a few new mechanics introduced.

gently caress silverfish, though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

zalmoxes posted:

This game is so loving terrifying. I usually play on peaceful, but I decided to play on Normal while I explore this cave. So I've been down here for an hour, my inventory is finally full of iron, coal, gold and a few diamonds. I'm ready to head out when a creeper pops out of nowhere and sssss BOOOM... This has honestly been the most stressful hour of the last 6 months of my life.

Don't feel bad, we've all been there. I collapsed a gravel roof on my head after finding a bunch of diamond once. Luckily it was close to my spawn so I was able to collect it back before it disappeared. My girlfriend got hit with a creeper, though, and died twice trying to get back to her stuff.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Monicro posted:

I tried to get my friend into minecraft like a week ago, and he lucked out and got a really good world. Before long he found himself in a cave at diamond level, and found 2 diamonds, 5 gold, about 25 iron and a lava lake. We couldn't find the hole he dropped into the cave through however, so I told him to just dig a staircase to the surface. About halfway up, he broke through to another cave and immediately got blown up by a creeper. We couldn't find the staircase in time :smith:

After that I assumed that turned him off on the game and went to went to watch the Cubs game (they lost, no shocker there). When I came back, he had already shrugged it off and was cave exploring again :3:

Minecraft, as the thread title would suggest, is a game for obsessives. I've been passing word of the game around work for the better part of the year and I work with engineers. I'll mention it one day and the next I'm getting people showing me their homes in game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Loving Life Partner posted:

Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

I wonder if there would be a way to get them to act as redshirts when you go exploring, like if you could wall them in and make them go in a single direction. That would be all I did in the game if it works.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

crazylakerfan posted:

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

Within a few weeks of the villagers being added someone will create a piston machine that functions as a lemmings game, I can feel it now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mr Scumbag posted:

Please please please don't start this poo poo again. There's at least one whole page of inane bickering about it in this thread already. If you don't like it there will be a mod to eliminate or improve it almost immediately. It's that simple.

e: too late :ughh:

It's slightly better than the "death should have no penalties/death should make a chest for your things/LAVA BAD" debate the thread became for a couple days.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SheepNameKiller posted:

Nah I'm totally excited about them all too, I think people are making too big of a deal over the food thing. It neither makes nor breaks the game.

If anything it cuts down on how much food needs to be carried. I ususally don't go adventuring without two food items in my hotbar and above them in my inventory from bottom to top. It eats up a lot of space and having a slowly draining hunger meter would be a godsend.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Someone want to see how Armor is supposed to work? There doesn't appear to be an armor bar on the HUD anymore.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So any comment on how armor works? I had asked when people first found the approved leak but I haven't seen an answer.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So is the release broken? Some seem to have an issue with how much processing power it uses and some seem to be running it fine. I don't want this to be like 1.7 where I lose a bunch of iron and coal because of bugs and bad code.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I'm really liking being able to switch between creative and survival for new seeds with NBTedit. Building my last house in survival was a complete bitch, especially when I decided I wanted a powered rail system in the place and had to re-model half of the place and ruined a few picks in the process. If I want to mess with my setup now I just switch to creative and do what I need to do.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

drquasius posted:

Take the pork and shut your mouth. We don't talk about mystery pigs.

I've been finding a lot more animals underground than above ground with 1.8/1.9. Some of it is reasonable, like pigs falling down holes, but other times it's a chicken two miles into an abandoned mine.

Anyone finding diamond much more rare in the last updates? I used to be able to find 20 diamonds in a mine by using the traditional "Dig to Y:12, make tunnel" method, but I've only found seven in the newest world I've made.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Taffer posted:

Stop strip mining, you'll just use up your diamonds almost as fast as you can find them. There are way more natural underground formations where you can find exposed diamond, or better yet, diamonds in chests.

I found 15 diamond, mostly from chests, just by spending an hour in a mine. I think they're MORE common now.

I've found that I was finding more resources from just exploring ravines anyway and pretty much stopped strip mining a while back. I like having the diamond reserves in case I die with my equipment too far from being retrieved, so I hardly ever use any diamond anything and instead hoard it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

EightBit posted:

Wow that's pretty bad. You should probably invest a hundred bucks on a machine from 2005.

I feel bad because that machine is worse than my girlfriend's old computer from 2004 that could run Minecraft in the browser window only. I'm surprised he can get on the internet with those specs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Taffer posted:

This picture sums up so perfectly how goddamn retarded redstone implementation is.

I love building crazy redstone stuff, especially with pistons, but that doesn't mean I think it's a good system. It's loving worthless, and HUGE.

I got a retracting piston door to work, the one where the piston being extended keeps the door closed, then when you hit the open button the pistons retract, and then sticky pistons grab them and pull them back out of the way. To get this to work I needed two 20x20 rooms (because I built in the air instead of on the ground). One housed the buttons and disguised the upstairs open and shut redstone lines. The other room housed all the redstone wiring, repeaters and torches needed to get this to all work right. A pain in the rear end for a single player world no one will ever see but me.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

neogeo0823 posted:

Can you guys post pictures/videos of how you did yours? I figured mine out from watching about half a dozen youtube videos and guessing on some parts. The end result looks nice enough, but I can't imagine having to do this for 6 blocks. 4 was far and away more than enough.

I don't know if you really want to see mine, I did it the dumbest way possible. I have this issue with redstone devices that I keep making buildings completly devoid of them, and then decide what I need is a rail system with a button that lets me call the minecart from either end of the track. Cue me making redstone stairs from top to bottom along the side of a building so large the second floor is a forest area complete with a river. It uglied up the building pretty good, but it was faster to call the cart and ride it down than it was to walk through the thing.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I didn't know throwing eggs could make chickens spawn until about a week ago. I started a new world in 1.9 anticipation, herding animals into a pen near my house, and throwing any eggs I found in there. I took some screenshots of my little pen and was about to post a picture with the three pigs, single sheep and 30 chickens I had before this madness began.

Now I really, really want a harvest moon mod similar to the zelda adventure mod someone made. It would at least justify my insane animal hoarding actions.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pollyanna posted:

I have four pistons set up in exactly the same way, to create a 2x2 sliding door. The two pistons on the right work. The two pistons on the left, the top one works, but the bottom one doesn't. :byodood: I'm close to giving up on exactly why the hell this is happening. Is there a known bug in Minecraft regarding redstone and 2x2 doors?

edit: I've figured something out. Apparently that one piston will only fire when it's interacted with, e.g. you put some redstone next to it, mine a block under it, remove it and put it back, etc. What's going on?

edit never mind. it just decided to fix itself.

Oh, well, before the fix I could have solved this, having built a double door myself yesterday. Probably not in the most efficient way, but it made sense at the time.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I've met my goal of never being food insecure in Minecraft. Not only am I growing a ton of wheat, I've broken into the chicken business. I started off with the two that spawned from some eggs I collected, and after fencing them in I started spawning more and more. By putting dirt around the outside of the fence I was able to trap three sheep and 4 pigs in short order, followed by 2 cows. My intentions were to breed them when 1.9 got an official release, but for now they will just enjoy the noise of about 150 chickens I have in the pen after the mass culling last night.

That number wasn't supposed to be so high, but I got tired of throwing the eggs by hand and then killing all but the first chicken to spawn. To cut down on time I hooked up a despinser, put a bunch of pressure plates in the farm area and let the chickens launch eggs by moving around. So all I had to do was collect the eggs, kill maybe two chickens per set of 16 and move along. Of course the numbers play out differently than that, and if you don't control the population per load of eggs in the dispenser you get a lot of chickens

To make a long story short I wore out most of a diamond sword and all of an iron sword killing chickens between games of Call Of Duty last night so I could collect eggs without being pushed around by what was about 300 chickens.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I have been wondering if it's possible to go into the resources folder and paste in a bunch of music from my computer so that will play instead of the stock songs. I am guessing not, but I thought people here would have a better idea.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

feigning interest posted:

In the pixel rain
In the square moonlight
Yes I'm the Enderman

Good Grinderman reference.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wrist Watch posted:

gently caress Mineshafts. If they were sized differently so they could be two or three chunks large maximum rarely, and normally much, much smaller then I'd enjoy them a lot more. Right now they're responsible for making me abandon a ton of different areas just because I'm sick of dealing with them.

Oddly enough you posted this as I was exploring a mineshaft. I spent an hour down in it collecting resources I don't even really need. After that trip I can probably build a house out of Iron blocks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

NINbuntu 64 posted:

You'd think they wouldn't be so averse to spending money considering that they make enough to pay a three person IT team for a year every day.

My company earned 50% more than it spent last year, literally millions of dollars in profit.

It took six months to get a single printer running. This poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Arkitektbmw posted:

See but the difference is...does your company's main purpose rely on that Single printer? Would all outgoing communication and interaction halt if that one printer went down?

I would imagine not. "This poo poo happens" is a stupid comment. "This poo poo," is a sign of a poorly run company which doesn't quite have it's poo poo together.

You seem upset. What I was trying to say was that no matter what the company is, how much money it makes or how many customers it has there are things that will break and break often. Is either example acceptable? No, not really, especially when you end up not being able to serve customers/get work done.

That said I built my first XP farm after two years playing this the other day and let it run as I went to dinner at my girlfriend's parents house. Came back to three frames per second as the spawn drop area was filled with enough skeletons to overfill my inventory with arrows and bones and get me to level 29.