Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

glug posted:

I've built an entranceway to my eventually large home of sorts, and I used these sticky piston doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346yRSqWot8&NR=1

Is there some way with minimal absurd redstone garbage to make doors like this safe from monsters and baby ducks wandering into my home, or to 'disable' them while I'm inside by pulling a switch?

Is there such a thing as minimal insane redstone garbage?

You could hook up a lever on the inside to an AND gate that also connects to the redstone coming from the pressure plates, in between the plates and their connection to the pistons.

Here's a tutorial, where he has the 2 switches, you'd have the switch connected to one side, and all the pressure plates connected to the other. For the love of god, mute this horrible thing if you watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvJ9wiywL4#t=129s

That way, with the lever in the on position, hitting the plates would open the door, with the lever in the off position, hitting the pressure plates would do nothing, as an AND gate is only on if both its inputs are on.

Sadly, it'll probably take up at lest 2x the space as the clean door you have now for routing the wires so that stray signals don't hop all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

frogg posted:

Friends, my nether portal does not work. It catches on fire when I try to spark it with flint. What am I doing wrong? :what: My friend and I built a pretty cool mountain fortress and I was going to have that portal be in my bedroom but it doesn't work! Now it's just a really cool looking window.

You probably don't have enough clearance behind it. I tried to be a badass and carve a portal into an existing solidified lump of lava, but it wouldn't work unless I had a few blocks of empty space behind the portal section. If you've got a few blocks clearance in every direction, and still no dice, then I'm not sure what's going on.

Also, if you're on a server, you need to enable the Nether in the server preferences somewhere.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Surrounding obsidian before lighting can mess with it, I know that. Other materials don't matter.

Yeah, in my case it was kind of grafted halfway into a lump of obsidian, so that would probably do it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DeliriousDelight posted:

Okay, I have a major problem that I'm hoping to get help with. Yesterday I am able to play Minecraft normally. Today however, suddenly gives me the "Bad Video Card Drivers!" error right after I log in. Specifically it's telling me it can't find the accelerated OpenGL. My drivers are up to date according to my computer, and nothing's changed between yesterday and today. I can't even grab the error report because Windows automatically closes the program.

For reference, I have an HP Pavilion dv6, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530 graphics card (the one that came with the laptop).

I'd appreciate any help I can get at this point. :(

c/p from the rather informative OP of the Zeppelin mod:

Zeppelin dude posted:

create the following batch file file (or put it in your start->run)

java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\minecraft.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\jinput.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl.jar;%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\lwjgl_util.jar" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft

You should now get a command prompt with all the java messages, and minecraft should start. When it crashes, this window should have your stacktrace.

That should at least give you the error report to work with.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Megaspel posted:

Anyone else having trouble logging into the minecraft forums now they moved to that curse poo poo? It just keeps saying that my email is taken, or my name is taken on the curse servers whenever I try and migrate my old account, and that my password is wrong whenever I try to log in to the curse thing using megaspel. Can't find any megaspel user in their member list though, and it says my email doesn't exist when I try to recover my password.

I do remember it being a "yelling at my computer because this is such a colossal pain in the rear end" type deal when I switched over, but outside that, all I remember is that I did get my account to switch over eventually.

I want to say it was something retarded with popups being blocked or having to make sure referers weren't disabled or turning off adblock/noscript or something ridiculous like that.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

PalmTreeFun posted:

Wait, you're yelling at your computer because you can't get on the Minecraft forums? :psyduck:

Nah, I was yelling at my computer because horrible web UI makes me angry. :shobon:

triad posted:

^You don't understand, it's complete insanity.

This dude gets it. It's loving 2011, it should not be that hard to log into a goddamn forum.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 11, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

triad posted:

I keep getting the error: "Could not create the Java virtual machine". Any ideas? I've got my target written out as such:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\Users\Scott\Minecraft.exe"

Your problem is the "Program Files (x86)" part. If you're on a 64 bit machine, you'll need to use the 64 bit Java, which should be in the plain "Program Files" directory.

thatdarnedbob posted:

Why don't more people use Caps Lock for sneaking?

Brady posted:

You got me excited for a second because I thought it would make it toggleable. No go.

It's toggleable when set to caps lock on OS X :smug:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Insurrectum posted:

How do you do this?

Just go into the esc menu, click options > controls then click the gray button next to "sneak" and hit the caps lock key.

:siren:NOTE: ENTERING YOUR INVENTORY OR ALT-TABBING WHILE CAPS LOCK SNEAKING WILL UN-SNEAK YOU AND YOU WILL PLUMMET TO YOUR DOOM IF YOU ARE "OVER" THE EDGE OF A CLIFF:siren:

Also you'll have to double-tap caps lock to turn it off and on again to resume sneaking.

Also, Schweinhund, would you mind adding MaximumMinecraft to the op? It's a mod manager, yes, but it also has a bunch of optimizations and tweaks for running plain ol vanilla Minecraft. I can write up a brief blurb if you like.

e: well, since I just wrote one up for the Modding thread anyhow...
MaximumMinecraft - A full featured Minecraft manager for OS X which includes:
  • Profile Management: Keep different concurrent combinations of mods ready to run with a click.
  • Memory Management: Free up inactive RAM for Minecraft to use & disable memory-hogging OS X features.
  • Save File Management: Automatic backups & the option to run saves from a USB Flash drive or RAM disk to get blazing fast chunk read/write speed.
  • UI Management: Automatically disable Magic Mouse scrolling and/or two-finger scrolling on MacBooks so you don't accidentally switch to that lava bucket and incinerate yourself when you really just want to fire an arrow.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 12, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Welp, that's it, we can close the internet, I've officially seen everything:

Click for legible.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Arkitektbmw posted:

Wow....just wow.

Uh, you should probably add some content to that. But seriously, given the age/maturity range of the Minecraft forums crew, and the low cost of the game, why would anyone bother to target it for some kind of scam.

Then again, targeting angry impulsive teens who have clearly somehow bought a thing on the internet may be a good idea... :raise:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dawts posted:

I'm not usually one to get a hardon for parody songs over a game.

But the animation of this one was pretty loving cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM&feature=player_embedded

Song isn't my taste, but it wasn't a bad parody.

Is it wrong that the fact that this uses Painterly makes me extremely happy? :shobon:

⇩ ⇩ Minecraft has the weirdest goddamn bugs I loving swear. ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 25, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

ItalicSquirrels posted:

No, but it looks like the regular Minecraft texture pack. How can you tell it's Painterly?

Maybe it's just the red-eyed creeper...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vinigre posted:

No. No no no no no. Seriously, gently caress silverfish. Endermen I can deal with, but not those fuckers.

Sooooooo loving psyched to see their model. Really looking forward to crafting some horrible lovecraftian beast for my texture pack. :dance:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
So I haven't so much as looked at a Minecraft related thread, let alone played Minecraft since 1.7.

Just got done reading the changelog on the wiki, and holy gently caress, that's a lot of stuff. It's going to take me another billion years to get my texture pack up to snuff again. Goddamn.

That said, really looking forward to hopping in and checking out all this new poo poo. :dance:

E: So. Many. Painterly. Options. :aaaaa:

E2: Welp, spent an hour and a half working my way through the painterly chooser, clicked a preview image instead of the radio button and the whole page reloaded, losing everything. :suicide:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 27, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

kas posted:

Yes, you're using the deadfly plugin to disable adfly links, and the plugin is coded like a piece of poo poo and thinks the painterly preview images are adfly ads and reloads your page.

Wow. That's super retarded. GG de-adfly guys.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

mrwuss posted:

there is a better plugin for Chrome that has been around a while and does this and other ad sites better. IHPL (IHatePaidLinks).

Honestly, I haven't clicked an ad.fly link in months. I'll probably just disable the plugin altogether. Also I'm using Firefox.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm stuck in some kind of minecraft loop. I always seem to build these big cubes off of mountains, hollow them out and then add stuff to the outside.

Creativity :ohdear:

Well at least it's actually cool looking. I've never built anything above ground at all. I'm stuck on an endless loop of:

1) Tunnel down at 45°
2) Find cave system
3) Remove everything but stone (likely go to 2)
4) Carve remaining caves into symmetry (possibly go to 2)
5) Add paintings/stairs/half-steps
6) Go to 1

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Broken Loose posted:

:black101:

They currently drop 20,000 experience orbs (enough to go from level 0 to level 79 instantly) and an obsidian block (obviously a placeholder).

So uh, how does one find out what level they are anyway? It's not in the obvious place in the stats screen and I'm kind of at a loss as to where else it would be.

Oddly enough, the wiki isn't helping, though I now know how many points it takes to reach each level, and how many orbs mobs drop.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
So is 1.9pre5 worth getting and using? I'm assuming so, since nobody seems to be bitching about poo poo being broken/buggy, and all that content seems cool as gently caress. :ohdear:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

wyoming posted:

Yes, people just haven't been talking about it because there's no new content.
Well, the moon phases and the sun changing direction.
But yeah, no reason not to use it, it's new, has bug fixes, and it's the first version of the prerelease that hasn't eaten up 100% of my CPU. :dance:

Also the new camera angels are fun:

Tee hee, camera angels. :angel:

:siren::siren::siren: MAC USERS! :siren::siren::siren:

Thanks to the 1.9 prerelease kindly telling you in the display options, I found that Minecraft uses 32bit Java by default. This post tells you how to set it so that it uses your 64bit Java, if you have it.

MASSIVE improvement in rendering times/speed/everything.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 29, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vanadium posted:

With 1.9 pre5 letting you have infinite lava, I'm busy as hell remodeling every block in my house to be made from obsidian!! It's terrible!! But it will be worth it all when I will finally be safe from creeper explosions!

Any word if that's going to be a permanent change? It'd be nice, but seeing as the Nether provides you with virtually unlimited lava, not entirely necessary.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Old Greg posted:

I... I don't think I have a healthy relationship with this game. :comeback:

I personally bring a huge stack of logs on deep caving expeditions. That way you have enough wood to build infinite torches/tools, but more importantly, you can build chests along the way and refrain from having a ton of goodies on your person.

⇩ ⇩ I dunno, 1.9 seems to have a TON more content than previous what with The End & animal husbandry and potions and all. ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 30, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Priapus Unbound posted:

code:
java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
at java.net.SocketInputStream.socketRead0(Native Method)
at java.net.SocketInputStream(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source)
at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(Unknown Source) *(Yes, this line repeats twice)*
at rk.a (Sourcefile:53)
at vl.a (Sourcefile:145)
at iq.e (Sourcefile:190)
at iq.c (Sourcefile:10)
no. run (Sourcefile:77)
A reddit person had me join their server and they got the following:
code:
[Disconnect] User Johnny_Madhouse has disconnected, reason: disconnect.endOfStream
[Server] SEVERE at net.minecraft.server.NetworkWriterThread.run(SourceFile:104) 
[Server] SEVERE at java.io.DataOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flush(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE at 
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(Unknown Source) [Server] SEVERE 
java.net.SocketException: Socket closed

I had serious serious issues with SocketTimeoutException when I tried to play SMP over a wireless connection. Plugging in stopped that entirely. If you're using wireless, unless you've got fantastic clear-line-of-sight to your router/access point, that may be the issue.

If you're already plugged in, I remember hearing that Minecraft doesn't play nice with some network cards, but that was a while ago I think, and that's possibly been resolved...?

Anyhow, try Spectral Werewolf's suggestion if you're already wired or the switch to wired from wireless doesn't do it. That should eliminate your network card entirely, and if it solves your issues then you have something to go on.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
So has anyone else using 1.9.p5 noticed a single Enderman standing around in broad daylight? A few times now I've gone outside to find one hanging about.

Oddly, he won't attack (or even do the "angry" animation) when you look at him, just instantly teleports off a dozen or so meters. Other than that, you can walk right up next to him and he just stands there. :confused:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've discovered that, for me, there are two modes to this game, really. SMP (with or without creative) and Hardcore mode. I seriously could not play single player any other way. Hardcore mode for life. :black101:

So is hardcore mode something other than hard difficulty & wiping the world if you die?

Speaking of bullshit deaths, I somehow managed to drown myself in the well in a village. :saddowns:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Boat posted this not too long ago:

64bit Java + more RAM how-to

I haven't tried it yet, as I'm in the blackout area of New England with no power.

Bellend Sebastian posted:

10.7.2 on a 2011 Macbook Pro.

Yeah, I'm on the same hardware but not Lion, and setting the JVM affinity to 64bit and doubling the max RAM literally doubled my chunk loading speed. I'm consistently around 40fps on far, no issues to speak of.

Do you have a bunch of other stuff running? When I get to Minecrafting I quit literally everything except Firefox. Are you using the RAM-purge functionality in MaximumMinecraft? It really does free up a ton of RAM if you've been using your machine heavily beforehand (and quit out of every other app). The RAM disk option in MM shouldn't have an impact on stuttering sound, but it sure as hell gives blazing fast chunk saves & loads.

I'll definitely have to give that video card pointer a shot, I'll take any help I can get.

Allen Wren posted:

1.8 actually kinda blew it out of the water, what with so many seeds having the sort of dramatic mountain ranges that a lot of the old cool seeds were posted up for.

My current 1.9 seed is actually kind of boring. It's just forest, as far as the eye can see. At least as far as I've walked thus far.

I guess I lucked out. I've got a massive mountain range, a huge expanse of desert, some rolling grassy plains, a heavy pine forest, a swamp and the ocean within a short run of my spawn. v:shobon:v

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

I've been playing the pre-releases, and was wondering if they did something to change the village spawns between 9.4 and 9.5? In 9.4 I was only finding villages in the desert areas with maybe one outside of that, and it seems to be reversed now, I've found 1 in the desert and 10 so far in grasslands (and one on an large island in the middle of a vast ocean composed of 1 library and 1 blacksmith)

Also, I spawned in a town, which I walled off and enlarged and have been using zombe's teleport mod to force all the villagers from other towns into one giant thriving metropolis.

Wait wait wait, hang on, you've got villagers? I know the textures for them exist thanks to Painterly, but the only town I've found is completely empty. Running 1.9.p5 if that makes a difference?

I hope beavers do dam rivers, but then the question becomes, which side of the river becomes the lake part? There's really no "upstream" as is.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 1, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

glitchwraith posted:

Hmm. On one hand, I like that the square sun and moon are back. On the other hand, the square moon phases look like poo poo.

I dunno, Painterly's square moon phases work for me. Since the moons phases are now distinct images, I think I'm going to do a cycle of two different "moons" on alternating nights whenever I get around to updating my pack. So many loving textures to make. :effort:

As a side note, if beavers are indeed coming into the game, you had best be able to get pelts from them and craft this hat or I'm going to be seriously annoyed:

Hell, make a full fur coat/suit that makes your hunger bar fall slower in snow biomes or something.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 1, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

Is it a new world, or one from 1.8, because villages in 1.8 are empty but they added in them with the first (i think) 1.9 pre. They don't really do anything except loiter and get in the drat way.

Well gently caress. I created the world when I finally got 1.8, played it for all of 20 minutes, then got 1.9 when I saw that that was where all those awesome new things got added. Guess that village is just going to stay dead.

MikeJF posted:

Don't swords break them faster? Although apparently it degrades the sword quite quickly.

Probably. For some reason, the sword is the default best-at-breaking tool for a poo poo ton of things, but they all do double use to the sword.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, not like those skeletons, zombies, and giant spiders.

Other than creepers, Minecraft has always been pretty standard medieval fantasy fare.

Pretty much.

Personally I'm loving the new additions. Having a reason to seek out the Nether is great, since those potions make exploring easier which is what I'm all about.

The existence of villages has actually spurred me to create above-ground structures for the first time ever, and gotten me away from being so goddamn OCD about my cave clearing.

The one thing I will say though is I really don't like the Ender Dragon. In concept it's awesome, the design is just so goddamn "generic fantasy dragon." Everything else has a quirky Minecrafty feel but the dragon just looks copy-pasted from something else.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I always thought my own personal hell would be modding the creepers to have the climbing powers of the spiders.

Also, they detonate if their upward climbing is blocked.

Siege creepers would be horrible.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
They changed the worldgen algorithm between 1.8 and 1.9 didn't they? :(

I just hit the edge of the chunks generated before I switched to 1.9 and I'm already invested in this world. Bah, so ugly.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

edit: nevermind I guess burning arrows don't count as fire. :mad:

Yeah, they really should set things on fire. Hell, you should be able to craft fire arrows, either arrow + blaze powder or just straight-up replace sticks with blaze rods in the arrow recipe. :black101::supaburn:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I really really like this world, so I guess my new megaproject is to terraform the border so it doesn't look like total rear end.

This could take a while.

It also explains why it's raining in the desert now.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Making the border between unexplored land and explored land be like 4 chunks width of ocean would do fine. Then the random cliffs you'll see won't really look out of place.

Thankfully a large section of it borders (is in the middle of, actually) a large ocean of 1.9 gen. It's like the white cliffs of Dover, just, you know, dirt.

Also I have to hand it to the guys over there at Mojang, they've managed to create the most confusing-to-navigate thing physically possible in Minecraft with those new abandoned mines. Jesus gently caress, how many layers does this thing have? What do you mean there's torches places I haven't been yet?!?

Also gently caress cave spiders forever. :argh:

On the plus side, I can mine the thing for fences from now until forever.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Yeah, I've just got back into minecraft after a long hiatus so the abandoned mines are new to me too. Really loving them. I've only found one so far, but it's just mindbogglingly vast, so it'll keep me going for a while. I've built a vertical mineshaft in the cellar of my house, and the various levels of my own mine tunnels mostly end up breaking out into some section of this naturally occuring mine complex. I've been doing a methodical process of exploring a branch of the abandoned mine, until I hit a dead end, at which point I backtrack to the last junction (after mining out any valuables), and then sealing that corridor off at its entrance as I'll never need to go down there again.

Complications arise when the corridors end up connecting to each other in crazy confusing multi-level loops, which they tend to do instead of just yielding a nice dead end. :psyduck:

The really cool thing about this mine is that a massive ravine (with a lava river far below) cuts straight through the middle of it; it's walls looking somewhat like a slice through an ant farm, where you can see various corridors and rooms of the mine as they open abruptly to the yawning chasm. In my mine expeditions I usually end up hitting the chasm at some point and building a "Bridge of Khazad-dûm" to connect the mine corridor back up with its continuing section on the other side of the chasm.

I don't think I've ever had a more exciting, immersive, scary and rewarding experience in a game before. The fact that every part of this world is procedurally generated I think is the key here - the world could throw anything at me, and for me that's more compelling than anything that's been scripted or balanced by a designer.

I mostly just mark things off with a torch-topped cobble blocks, since there are quite a few tunnels down there that spawn slimes that I'd like to be able to go back to. Also, fence mining for when I feel like making another farm section.

Pretty annoyed at myself though, I was down in that mine to see if there was anything I'd missed and found a whole other section which was hidden behind a gravel cave-in. A ways into it and I came upon a creeper unexpectedly and got backed into a wall. I wasn't too concerned because at the range it was at I would only be maybe half-hurt, and I had a ton of food.

I neglected to notice that my armor was almost all gone.

Yeah, killed me outright, and since I was way the gently caress down in maze central, everything disappeared before I could get back. At least I only used 2 of the 4 diamonds I've found so far so I could remake my diamond sword. Everything else was pretty easily replaceable with the haul from the mine, but drat I felt dumb when I was suddenly dead and realized what happened. :saddowns:

Allen Wren posted:

...but then it's not a suburban home anymore. At that point I might as well just be another crappo survivalist nerd with no sense of aesthetics living in a stupid obsidian bunker.

I just "pot" cactus around my doorways. Creepers try to hide there, but then die because the end up humping the cactus at the edge of the door trying to explode me.

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 4, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

DrakoDWyvrex posted:

Has anyone else been playing with the potions? I ignored them until 1.9.5, and was wondering if the Splash Potion of Harming is bugged in that it will not harm Skeleton's?

Yeah, they're undead, so they're harmed by the healing potions and healed by harming potions. Same with zombies and zombie pigmen.

You can see how the potions interact with the various mobs on the splash potion page.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

This abandoned mine complex is...insane. I'm starting to think there's some truth in that rumour that a bug can essentially make them of infinite size. This poo poo makes Moria look like a goddamn broom cupboard :psyduck:

Yeah, they're loving immense. On the plus side, I'll never need to cut down another tree so long as I live. So goddamn many planks. Also all those fences are coming in handy for renovating the first actual populated town I've found.

On that note, the goblins that populate and created that town are pants-on-head retarded. The town itself is somehow built on a shoreline and a hillside in such a way that most of the houses are in a shallow lake, and several of the fields are broken in half and gushing water down onto the rest of them. This air of stupid is not helped in the least by the fact that their smith has been bobbing around on the opposite shore of the lake for at least 5 in-game days now. Also I had to rescue a townsman from the well.

It really does feel satisfying to fence in all the fields and turn those exploded farms into reasonable looking waterfalls though.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Allen Wren posted:

Villagers don't actually have anything to do with how the towns are built, they're just as procedurally generated as the hills and the lakes. You probably already know this and are just speaking fatuously.

As far as I'm aware as regards the current villager AI, I think it's mostly copied from sheep?

Yeah, I was just making fun of how stupid the AI is combined with the really really poor location of this particular town. The main road had a 10 block cliff in the middle of it and half the streets were under water.

I just found it especially funny as the first town I found was genned in 1.8, and therefor had no villagers in 1.9, and was laid out very logically and neat. Then I find an actually inhabited town and it's a cluster gently caress full of morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
My desert area is getting lousy with cacti because the Endermen keep grabbing cactus blocks and putting them elsewhere. Kind of cool that it works like that though.