Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Relaxodon posted:

One thing i would like to see in minecraft, is for your safety inside your base to be more often challanged. At the moment, as soon as you have your walls up and a spider overhang attached, you are completely save. Having to defend that savety would be really cool.
I really struggle to think up how to do that in a "minecraftian" way though. Building in wall destroying mobs seems somehow wrong. Also the feeling of safety inside your base is kinda important for the game.
Has anyone come up with some ideas here?

The problem is that you need a base that is safe, without being able to make a huge section of the world safe. Currently you can just make a walled in city area, torch it all off, and dig your own mine shafts straight down and never run into a single enemy. The only solution I can think of off the top of my head is to make monster spawns unaffected by torches. Monsters wouldn't spawn in sunlit areas in the day, the same as currently, but you would have to have some other way to stop them from spawning in buildings or your town at night. This could be accomplished with some other crafted safety-zone blocks that stop enemies from spawning in a certain radius/cube from them.

A cheap safety-zone that can be made with wood or stone could stop enemies from spawning in an 10x10x10 cube, for instance, so you could make your first house safe. If you place another one of these cheap safety-zones within 100 blocks it would be ineffective. To make larger safe zones you would need more expensive blocks, to the point that making entire cave networks safe would be infeasible, but a large town would still be possible with work. I don't know exactly what you would make these blocks to fit in with the world without being obvious "safety-zone" blocks, maybe lanterns or cornerstones.

One downside of this system is that it would be hard to tell where the safe zone ends. You could probably do a small GUI indicator for when you cross a boundary, but it would still be kind of a pain when you have overlapping zones. That is a problem with the current light-level system in place now anyway though, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Another downside is it would be much more work to have a safe town, but that's a price I would pay for more of a challenge after the first night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

CJacobs posted:

Minecraft's fanbase The entire world is made of literal children and adults who act like they are still children alike so it is very unfortunate, but not all that surprising.

That's the impression I get after reading anything online, anyway.