Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
So there's a new preview of the magic item book out: http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110819

It has new armor types, but each armor counts as a base type for the purposes of enchantments. However, proficiency with the base type doesn't give proficiency with the new type; there are seperate feats for that. It includes leather with the base AC of hide and chainmail that is light armor (again, with the base AC of hide). I'm just curious if this is going to be a problem in the builder; is there any way currently to make one type of armor count as another type for enchantments but not for proficiency? Is making a light armor version of chain at all problematic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

I don't think those exist, no; certainly they aren't used by any of the LCB content. I can live with armour not showing up red when it should, though, so I haven't looked any further into it.

Anyway, here's my superior armour .part file, if anyone cares. :)

I agree that the armor not showing up the right color isn't a big deal, so long as the armors work correctly. I also appreciate the chance to play around with them early, thanks for writing them up :)

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

RyvenCedrylle posted:

06-races has been updated with today's Racial Utilities.

Thanks for doing that so quickly! A problem I noticed- I haven't read the article yet, but I'm guessing that Persuasive Words isn't supposed to have a trigger of being dropped to 0 HP or fewer.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Koranak posted:

Based on dragon 402's complete failure of a weapliment expertise article, I'm finding myself in need of creating a houseruled version of Versatile Expertise. However, I'm a little stumped as to how to proceed. I can't seem to find Versatile Expertise in any of the .part files, and when looking at "Versatile Expertise II" from feats.part, I can't see anything to edit to make the bonuses kick in at levels 11 and 21 instead of 15 and 25. I'm left wondering if this is one of those cases where the original developers did some magic behind the scenes to make it work....

Mind you I am by no means experienced at modifying this stuff, so I may just be missing something.

Can any one point me in the right direction?
Versatile Expertise II is the same as Versatile Expertise, it just exists if someone wants to take Versatile Expertise twice. It looks like Versatile Expertise defines a class feature you select, and then there are several class feature definitions like this:
<RulesElement name="Versatile Expertise (Wand)" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_INTERNAL_CLASS_FEATURE_VERSATILE_EXPERTISE_(WAND)" source="Player's Handbook 3" >
<Category> Versatile Expertise Implement </Category>
<specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
<specific name="Short Description"> +1 to attack rolls with wands </specific>
<specific name="_SupportsID"> ID_FMP_FEAT_2785 </specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+1" type="Feat" />
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+2" type="Feat" requires="15 level" />
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+3" type="Feat" requires="25 level" />
</rules>
You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls with wands. The bonus increases to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 25th level.
</RulesElement>

One for each implement type and weapon type. You can find them in the combined.dnd40.main file if you want to grab them all. Just paste them into a new .part and change the requires to 11/21 (or "Paragon Tier" and "Epic Tier", either works). Alternately, you can make a new feat with a different internal-id and change the _SupportsID on each weapon/implement entry if you want to leave the old one intact.

You may also want to look at Staff Expertise and Ki Focus Expertise in the feats.part; both of those apply to both implements and weapons, so if you want to set up weapon/implement feats specific to a given weaplement or weapon/implement set that's the place to look.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

8w-gremlin posted:

EDIT:
Also is there anyway to change the character sheet the OCB creates?
does anyone even know if it can be done?

By change, do you mean rearrange and remove some things? That's doable; you can right click on a section to get options including removing it. If you click the lock icon, you can drag the panels around and stretch them out (which is great for getting the short descriptions to show for class features and feats). I believe if you save after making changes, you'll keep that layout for that character, but I don't know of a way of applying a layout to all characters.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

It's erroneously classified as a military weapon in 40-gear.part rather than as a simple weapon. (Its entry in 04-new-items.part also seems to be incorrect as it makes the pike a two-handed weapon when it should be one-handed.)

Wait, what? The Pike in MME is a military two-handed weapon, so it sounds like both those entries are correct. Where are you seeing a version that's simple and one-handed?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

On an unrelated note: I've been working on addressing the issue with the half-elves' Dual Heritage qualifying them for things they aren't entitled to – the racial trait specifies feats only, but the way the LCB works it also lets them pick human/elf backgrounds, paragon paths, and the like. What I've done is remove the racial trait from the half-elf's INTERNAL_GRANTS element and rewrite all feats that have "human" or "elf" as a prerequisite to require "half-elf or human"/"elf or half-elf" instead, which looks to be working smashingly. (Admittedly, I spared myself some effort by excluding those racial feats a half-elf would never want to take, such as the human's Skill Swap or the many elf feats that all require Elven Accuracy.) Should I post the resulting .part containing the feats here for someone to implement, or how should we go on about doing this?

(And yes, I'm aware that COUNTSASCLASS causes the exact same issue with a deal of other races, such as muls and revenants – the chief difference is that it can actually be fixed easily where the half-elf is concerned, whereas it'd trickier for these other races. Maybe I'll get on it at some point.)

The problem with this approach is that revenant half-elves count as half-elves for prerequisites, but don't have the feature that gives them access to human and elf feats. You'd end up giving revenant half-elves access to things they shouldn't get.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
The DM for the next game I'll be in is granting us a free Expertise feat. I know we can just houserule an extra feat onto characters, but does anyone have code handy for, say, a feat that grants two feat slots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

It used to increase at levels 5, 11, 15, 21, and 25. Now it's just 11 and 21. I agree, though, it's written really badly - especially because the original version had different damage values at levels 11 and 21 than the new version does.

Although frankly, I'm kind of annoyed by how many major changes they did through online errata without publishing updated books.

I'm not. Publishing new versions of books as often as they published errata would never work, and the game was stronger with regular errata than it was without it.

• Locked thread