Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
GURPS could work for that. Ultra-Tech, Space, and Spaceships are the books you want to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

homerlaw posted:

Pulpy as hell,

I would suggest either Savage Worlds if you want a bit more crunch, or FATE for a bit more narrative control/rules light that really captures pulp. FATE already has Bulldogs and Diaspora to give a pretty good base for sci-fi settings and rule specifics.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
This might be a special request, but a friend of mine asked me to run a game with the children he's taking care of. The children first and foremost want awesome dragons and magic to permeate the setting. That's not a biggie, that's pretty much fantasy staple. On the other hand, they're ages 10-13, some of them having ADHD, and the more complex combat systems get, the less they'll be able to grok it. Anyone have any idea of what game system would be good for some bog standard fantasy with dragons and sword fights, yet without being overly complex for children?

My friend played Everyone is John with them, and they found it amusing, but lacking dragons, so I think I need to incorporate dragons.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Exercu posted:

This might be a special request, but a friend of mine asked me to run a game with the children he's taking care of. The children first and foremost want awesome dragons and magic to permeate the setting. That's not a biggie, that's pretty much fantasy staple. On the other hand, they're ages 10-13, some of them having ADHD, and the more complex combat systems get, the less they'll be able to grok it. Anyone have any idea of what game system would be good for some bog standard fantasy with dragons and sword fights, yet without being overly complex for children?

My friend played Everyone is John with them, and they found it amusing, but lacking dragons, so I think I need to incorporate dragons.

Everyone is Sir John.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Exercu posted:

Are we talking a one-shot, a handful of games or a campaign? Also, you'd be surprised how fast kids catch on to systems adults consider too complex for children.

Some form of FATE is probably solid here for any length of game. I'm picturing epic Shadow of the Colossus-style dragon battles where the entire dragon is the combat map with the beast divided into Aspected zones, things like that. And if they want to ride them, FATE has your back there too.

For a campaign, Burning Wheel with just the core mechanics (no extended conflict mechanics like Fight and Duel of Wits) for the first few sessions might also be acceptable depending on the level of ADHD we're talking here. One of my main BW players has pretty bad ADHD and he gets through it just fine if he can get up and wander around the room occasionally to burn off some nervous energy.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Exercu posted:

Run Dread Dungeons with them. Dread is a great system for ADHD kids because it can offer the same ideas of combat teamwork (let it reduce pulls), and resource management, in a very very tangible form.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Cool, I'll take a look at these systems. And it's probably going to be a campaign of sorts, possibly more, just without me later on.

Thanks for your help :)

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey dudes, i'm looking for well, D&D without the lolGygax bits of it. Something like this.

Ruleset Normal
Support Any
Chargen Involved
Setting High Fantasy, Pulp Fantasy

I like FATE, but i'm not sure how well that would translate to actual Prince-saving and monster-killing. I guess I like the pulpy-ness, but i'm not sure i'll be able to work a novice group of roleplayers through FATE as a novice GM.

\/\/\/\/\/\/ Huh, i'm browsing through it right now.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 2, 2011

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Women...bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch
Maybe this?

http://www.oldschoolhack.net/

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just went through it. Exactly what I was looking for... So much so, that I can only assume there is something horribly wrong with it.

Has anyone played Old School Hack? Any problems or fun bits that I should be aware of?

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

homerlaw posted:

I've been thinking on and off about running a future game based on spaceship fighting for a while, what would you recommend?

Ruleset Normal
Support User-Generated
Chargen Involved
Setting Universal/Neutral would be nice

If you can find the books, Alternity is always my go-to for SciFi games.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

RULESET: Crunchy
SUPPORT: established? I'm lazy but i'll do whatever if need be
CHARGEN: involved
SETTING: anything not inseparable

I was wondering what sort of system would be best for a highlander/ immortal swordsmen game. I've considered a few things

Riddle of steel, which would work because a lot of the fun of a game like this would be the sword fighting. Being immortal obviously cuts down on "aww poo poo tpk". Also apparently the rest of the system is awful? Other advantage is combat is fast and the game would be PbP.

Someone suggested burning wheel, but idk anything about it.

Owod has a fan made highlander game, also owod combat. Maybe nwod it has a lot of fighting styles so maybe it could work? Kinda doubt it, the combat is hardly the most interesting part.

7th sea, but the fighting styles are very interwoven with the setting i believe? On the same note L5R 4th edition with a lot of serial number off-filing, also i'm not sure there are enough viable combat styles.

Ofcourse an immortals game could be done in pretty much any of these systems that don't have immortal characters as a default and be special. But eh, too much of a good thing maybe, also kind of worries for later and the gm advice thread. Open to other systems ofcourse.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

canada jezus posted:

I was wondering what sort of system would be best for a highlander/ immortal swordsmen game. I've considered a few things

Riddle of steel, which would work because a lot of the fun of a game like this would be the sword fighting. Being immortal obviously cuts down on "aww poo poo tpk". Also apparently the rest of the system is awful? Other advantage is combat is fast and the game would be PbP.

Owod has a fan made highlander game, also owod combat. Maybe nwod it has a lot of fighting styles so maybe it could work? Kinda doubt it, the combat is hardly the most interesting part.

7th sea, but the fighting styles are very interwoven with the setting i believe? On the same note L5R 4th edition with a lot of serial number off-filing, also i'm not sure there are enough viable combat styles.

Ofcourse an immortals game could be done in pretty much any of these systems that don't have immortal characters as a default and be special. But eh, too much of a good thing maybe, also kind of worries for later and the gm advice thread. Open to other systems ofcourse.

As much as I love Burning Wheel and think it would work well for this game in concept, I cannot warn you strongly enough against doing play-by-post Burning games. They require a lot of back-and-forth between the players and the GM, so doing it via PbP is agonizingly slow.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

canada jezus posted:

Riddle of Steel is a pretty good system for that. I don't see anything wrong with the system, though the way skills work may take some getting used to. GURPS (along with the Martial Arts book) would be a pretty decent fit as well; it handles 1v1 combat quite well, and aside from working out how Quickening is going to work, it's quite easy to stat up an Immortal template. It can also be used for just about any time period.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I asked this in the GM advice thread but it's probably better over here. Basically I'm running a campaign with two people who want to do something less combat orientated, more based around investigations, mysteries, social stuff. Currently we're doing it in D&D 4e but it's not a system that lends itself well to noncombat campaigns. My only stipulations is that it be relatively easy for someone new to get into, one of my players has never played any TTRPG before and I don't want to intimidate her with something too crunchy. I'd prefer a fantasy setting but I can work with anything, so long as it's fun.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

GUMSHOE games include fantastical elements, but not actual high-fantasy-type settings. If you want something that is based mostly around investigation, though, it's a fine system.

PDQ games like Jaws of the Six Serpents (swords & sorcery/weird fantasy), Zorcerer of Zo (Wizard of Oz-style), and Questers of the Middle Realms (D&D fantasy) are mechanically simple and resolve any conflict, whether swordplay, seduction, or sleuthing, with the same basic mechanism.

I've heard good things about the latest Tolkien game, the Hobbit-based The One Ring.

Dragon Brigade: Opening Salvo is a free quickstart that explains mechanics in four pages. It walks both players and new GMs through the basics of the (still upcoming) full game. It is not hard to turn what it presents into a longer game.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Hmm. RuneQuest is pretty decent at this kind of thing, since all things use the same mechanics. Combat is pretty brutal, and is something that should probably be avoided unless there's a good reason for it. BRP would probably be just as good, provided you use a fantasy setting from somewhere (or design your own); only the skills you use ever increase, so they'll only get better at fighting as and when they actually fight. Otherwise, they'll be getting better at sleuthing.

D6 Fantasy by West End Games is a decent alternative; last I checked it was free, it only uses d6s and there's no hit points to track because there are simply five states: Bruised, Wounded, Wounded Twice, Crippled and Dead. Also, being skill based means that character development doesn't automatically make characters better at combat, meaning that some random murderer is just as dangerous early in the campaign as later on.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Ruleset: Crunchy
Support: User generated or up, preferably
Chargen: Involved or up
Setting: Universal, at least as far as genre is involved

I'm trying to put together a scifi game where the players are crew on a starship. I want it to have a kind of Star Trek feel, where space battles are interesting fights, but there's also stuff going on aboard the ship (engines, boarding parties, hull damage, ect) that the players need to deal with. Thus far, I've looked into HERO System (super detailed ship building, uninteresting everything else) and the boardgame-thing Battlestations! (pretty much exactly what I'm thinking, except the rules themselves suck; battles take hours, and players often have enormous downtime between turns). I do like crunch, as far as shipbuilding/customization and characters are concerned. Support and setting I'm pretty ambivalent about, other than the fact I'm looking at something space-y. Any suggestions?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Mongoose Traveller is pretty crunchy, and works well for the wandering starship type game, and even includes rules for more primitive societies, should your ship run into one. The core rules only really allow for smaller ships, crewed by up to fifty; for the true Star Trek feel, High Guard is pretty much a necessity, for the bigger ships, larger selection of ship options and more character generation options for space naval types. Mercenary may be useful for your head of security, if that's a player, as well as having some interesting new ground fighting mechanics, but isn't at all essential. The Central Supply Catalogue may be useful if you want weaponry for your crew that isn't in the main book but again, it's not absolutely necessary. If you want an idea of how space combat works in this game, take a look at this:

Mongoose Forums 1000MCr Spaceship Tournament

Alternatives include Rogue Trader, if you don't mind playing in the Warhammer 40k setting (I've not seen any house rules for tearing the setting away), or your preferred version of Star Wars d20 with the Force stripped out.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

InShaneee posted:

Ruleset: Crunchy
Support: User generated or up, preferably
Chargen: Involved or up
Setting: Universal, at least as far as genre is involved

I'm trying to put together a scifi game where the players are crew on a starship. I want it to have a kind of Star Trek feel, where space battles are interesting fights, but there's also stuff going on aboard the ship (engines, boarding parties, hull damage, ect) that the players need to deal with. Thus far, I've looked into HERO System (super detailed ship building, uninteresting everything else) and the boardgame-thing Battlestations! (pretty much exactly what I'm thinking, except the rules themselves suck; battles take hours, and players often have enormous downtime between turns). I do like crunch, as far as shipbuilding/customization and characters are concerned. Support and setting I'm pretty ambivalent about, other than the fact I'm looking at something space-y. Any suggestions?
GURPS is easily your best pick. It does science fiction especially well. Check out Space for general sci-fi flying around stuff, Ultra-Tech for weapons/armor/items/gadgets, and maybe Spaceships for spergy detailed shipbuilding. You might also consider the Transhuman Space setting books for inspiration if you're going for a hard scifi angle. The shipbuilding and whatnot can be made as crunchy as you could possibly want, but you can also handwave tons of stuff if need be.

There have been games of actual Star Trek run on these forums using GURPS, as well as every other flavor of scifi known to man.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

hectorgrey posted:

Mongoose Traveller is pretty crunchy, and works well for the wandering starship type game, and even includes rules for more primitive societies, should your ship run into one. The core rules only really allow for smaller ships, crewed by up to fifty; for the true Star Trek feel, High Guard is pretty much a necessity, for the bigger ships, larger selection of ship options and more character generation options for space naval types. Mercenary may be useful for your head of security, if that's a player, as well as having some interesting new ground fighting mechanics, but isn't at all essential. The Central Supply Catalogue may be useful if you want weaponry for your crew that isn't in the main book but again, it's not absolutely necessary. If you want an idea of how space combat works in this game, take a look at this:

Mongoose Forums 1000MCr Spaceship Tournament

Alternatives include Rogue Trader, if you don't mind playing in the Warhammer 40k setting (I've not seen any house rules for tearing the setting away), or your preferred version of Star Wars d20 with the Force stripped out.

Zero_grade posted:

GURPS is easily your best pick. It does science fiction especially well. Check out Space for general sci-fi flying around stuff, Ultra-Tech for weapons/armor/items/gadgets, and maybe Spaceships for spergy detailed shipbuilding. You might also consider the Transhuman Space setting books for inspiration if you're going for a hard scifi angle. The shipbuilding and whatnot can be made as crunchy as you could possibly want, but you can also handwave tons of stuff if need be.

There have been games of actual Star Trek run on these forums using GURPS, as well as every other flavor of scifi known to man.

Thanks! I hadn't considered Traveller, and I don't really know all that much about individual GURPS modules. I will look into them both!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
So I've been itching to run...something. Problem is I'm more comfortable with people I know IRL then running a game online with strangers. And I just moved, so only one of my friends can hang out via Skype. I'd like to run a simple amusing game that can be done with just the two of us (because we seem to be cursed when it comes to getting even one more person). I've looked at and considered Microscope, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

RULESET: Lite, possibly freeform
SUPPORT: User-generated would be nice, but I could go with DIY
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: Universal

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
What system should I use if I want to run a Star Wars game with no Jedi or force powers whatsoever (just blockade-running in the team's trusty YT-1300 Light Frieghter and gunnin' down Stormtroopers on Bespin's Cloud City)?

SW:SE and just say "no taking Use the Force or Jedi Classes"? Or something else entirely?

Lookin' for something with fairly simply gameplay, with about-equal social and combat resolution complexity. A fairly engaging space combat system would be a nice touch.

It looks like (from a cursory Wikipedia inspection) that Traveller is what I want, but I know nothing about the game other than "lol you can die randomly while still in chargen"

If I want Traveller (based on the above criteria), which version do I want? Keep in mind, I think D&D 4e is probably the best game ever, and the way it handles combat is sublimely orgasmic.

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Dec 3, 2011

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Man-Thing posted:

What system should I use if I want to run a Star Wars game with no Jedi or force powers whatsoever (just blockade-running in the team's trusty YT-1300 Light Frieghter and gunnin' down Stormtroopers on Bespin's Cloud City)?

SW:SE and just say "no taking Use the Force or Jedi Classes"? Or something else entirely?

Lookin' for something with fairly simply gameplay, with about-equal social and combat resolution complexity. A fairly engaging space combat system would be a nice touch.

It looks like (from a cursory Wikipedia inspection) that Traveller is what I want, but I know nothing about the game other than "lol you can die randomly while still in chargen"

If I want Traveller (based on the above criteria), which version do I want? Keep in mind, I think D&D 4e is probably the best game ever, and the way it handles combat is sublimely orgasmic.

If you want a relatively simple game, the West End Games Star Wars D6 was pretty good, especially with no Jedi. They released a "Space D6" game that's now under the OGL. As long as you drop the "Metaphysics" attribute and replace "Fate Point" with "Force Point" it uses the same basic terminology with some minor adjustments.

Resolution mechanics consist of rolling a number of d6s equal to the relevant skill or attribute (skills are increased from the attribute), with one "Wild Die" that gives you a critical failure on 1s and explodes on 6s. You then compare this with the difficulty. If you can find any of their Star Wars books (they've been out of print for about a decade), then those would also work, especially for fluff and the like. I never used space combat in the system so I don't know how it'd work in practice but in theory it seemed a little fiddly.

Mechanically, combat consists of rolling for relevant skill+rolling for damage, and social interaction consists of rolling for relevant skill, opposed or unopposed. So they're not particularly far apart from one another in terms of complexity.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Man-Thing posted:

Bulldogs!, Fate edition. It's Han Solo: The Game.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Heliotrope posted:

So I've been itching to run...something. Problem is I'm more comfortable with people I know IRL then running a game online with strangers. And I just moved, so only one of my friends can hang out via Skype. I'd like to run a simple amusing game that can be done with just the two of us (because we seem to be cursed when it comes to getting even one more person). I've looked at and considered Microscope, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Start here, but dig around in any category that catches your eye.

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

Faerie Fortune posted:

I asked this in the GM advice thread but it's probably better over here. Basically I'm running a campaign with two people who want to do something less combat orientated, more based around investigations, mysteries, social stuff. Currently we're doing it in D&D 4e but it's not a system that lends itself well to noncombat campaigns. My only stipulations is that it be relatively easy for someone new to get into, one of my players has never played any TTRPG before and I don't want to intimidate her with something too crunchy. I'd prefer a fantasy setting but I can work with anything, so long as it's fun.

Off the top of my head I'd say Dresden Files would be up your alley. Its modern fantasy rather than D&D clone, but the system really lends itself to the type of gameplay you're looking for.

There's a Fantasy FATE game too, Legends of Anglerre, but I've not played it myself. Heard good things. :)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it sounds like Legends of Anglerre is what you want.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Fate isn't always the answer to every single system request, mister! <:geno:>

Maddman
Mar 15, 2005

It is so. :colbert:

I do have to resist the urge to do everything that runs through my head in either Savage Worlds if its action/pulp adventure, or FATE if its not. :)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Give FATAL a chance.

Heliotrope posted:

S/Lay w/Me is a specifically 2-player game and seems to be rules-light, with user-generated content and very quick chargen. I don't have it myself but that's the impression I've gotten from reading play reports. Basically, one player is a hero and the other is both the 'monster' and the 'lover' - two forces that oppose and aid the hero respectively - as well as the rest of the world. The hero tries to achieve their goal and might kill the monster and/or save the lover along the way, while the other player tries to split the hero's efforts and attention between their goal, the monster, the lover and themself.

There's a bunch more 2-player games at the bottom of that page.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

So I have two of my players wanting to try their hands at DMing, this will be their first games so, take that into account. Also we're an internet group, so nothing like Dread or Gamma World which requires lots of table interaction.

RULESET: Lite/Freeform
SUPPORT DIY/User Generated
CHARGEN Quick
SETTING Universal/Neutral
For both of them.

Player 1 wants to run an Assasins Creed style game. Break into a nobles house, overcome security, assasinate some dude. That kind of thing. Trap filled house, stealth, etc.

Player 2 wants to run a sort of magical-realism thing with Eastern Mythology. A group of Samurai have to help a Sun Goddess out against some Oni Demons. Some social, some fighting, hopefully the kind of explosive over the top fighting Exalted pretends to have.

Any ideas? I just keep shouting FATE at them through a megaphone.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I have two of my players wanting to try their hands at DMing, this will be their first games so, take that into account. Also we're an internet group, so nothing like Dread or Gamma World which requires lots of table interaction.

CHARGEN Quick
For both of them.

Player 1 wants to run an Assasins Creed style game. Break into a nobles house, overcome security, assasinate some dude. That kind of thing. Trap filled house, stealth, etc.

Player 2 wants to run a sort of magical-realism thing with Eastern Mythology. A group of Samurai have to help a Sun Goddess out against some Oni Demons. Some social, some fighting, hopefully the kind of explosive over the top fighting Exalted pretends to have.

I've stayed away from this thread because my knee jerk response is Savage Worlds, but seriously, try Savage Worlds.

The benefit of FATE and Savage Worlds is that you can try both for free. Have your players make their characters using both systems and run a session of each and see which you like more.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

CHARGEN Quick
For both of them.

There's not much I can suggest for the second, but for the first, you might want to take a look at this: Crimson Exodus. It comes with an assumed setting, but the system itself is fairly generic and a book with just the system is on its way. Character generation is fairly quick, and it uses a system similar to aspects within FATE, only tied to a more traditional system.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've been looking into various generic systems to run my homebrew setting in (currently using 4e because that's what I knew and while I love it it gets kind of draining to resking absolutely everything), and Savage Worlds looks pretty interesting. I didn't see any specific thread here for it, would any specific SW questions go into the indie games thread? How well does it work for PbP?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

PublicOpinion posted:

I've been looking into various generic systems to run my homebrew setting in (currently using 4e because that's what I knew and while I love it it gets kind of draining to resking absolutely everything), and Savage Worlds looks pretty interesting. I didn't see any specific thread here for it, would any specific SW questions go into the indie games thread? How well does it work for PbP?

There was a short lived SW thread, but I think most discussion on it has migrated to the Indie Games Thread.

As far as PbP goes, it works about as well as any other system does for PbP. If you want to check it out for yourself, there are three games in the live forum: LLSix's new X-Com game, Captain Indigo's Lost Goblins game, and my old X-Com game.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Hey guys, this is just a simple request for an idea I had for my group.

Does anyone remember the game Grim Fandango? It was pretty much a film noir adventure game set in the Mexican afterlife. It had hard boiled detectives, gangsters and mysticism. I thought of A Dirty World, but it doesn't have the magical properties of monsters and other stuff.

Can anyone recommend a system that would work with this world?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
One of the Gumshoe variants, perhaps? I'm not too familiar with the system, but I hear good things.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CommaToes posted:

I thought of A Dirty World, but it doesn't have the magical properties of monsters and other stuff.

How detailed do you want those properties to be? If you're thinking of keeping it simple, can't you just use Dirty World as-is, but describe the situations and actions as being magical?

On the other complexity end of things, Dirty World is ORE, and could probably be combined with Wild Talents for whatever crazy powers you like.

What sort of game would you like to run? What would the protagonists do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

CommaToes posted:

Hey guys, this is just a simple request for an idea I had for my group.

Does anyone remember the game Grim Fandango? It was pretty much a film noir adventure game set in the Mexican afterlife. It had hard boiled detectives, gangsters and mysticism. I thought of A Dirty World, but it doesn't have the magical properties of monsters and other stuff.

Can anyone recommend a system that would work with this world?
oWoD Wraith might have what you're looking for, but be advised - oWoD Wraith is a lovely, lovely game.