Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man-Thing posted:

Just do Shadowrun and ban magic. Also, reskin the races as "body types" and call it a day.

Just get rid of races altogether. SR4's hacking and drone control is pretty simplified that I can not recommend it highly enough for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

What am I looking for? Please tell me it exists.

Interface Zero for Savage Worlds would work great for that. I'm currently running a street level based game and the setting and the system both rock. The book even has a short section talking about running a Snow Crash type game.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
GURPS Action! with whatever you decide to throw in from Ultratech. Action 2 has a whole section about simplified gunplay to keep things moving quickly by speeding up things like range and autofire. You could also use the chase scene rules to make hacking and counter-hacking more dramatic than just a quick contest roll.

If you're one of those "but GURPS is haaaaard :(" people, Action is what I used to teach the system to a bunch of people who'd never played any tabletop games and they love it.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Alternatively, GURPS in general if you're willing to put the extra work in. If you're only human, like the rest of us, then it might be worth giving Traveller (limiting the game to relatively a low tech level) a go - pretty much everything there is high tech by our standards, and you can fairly easily ignore everything above TL 8 (TL 7 is current Earth tech, IIRC).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I'm looking for a basic D20 system that's relatively SIMPLE or can be dumbed-down very easily. I want to use it to play some ongoing games with two kids that I've been teaching English to (here in Japan) for the last few years. I don't want to use a Japanese system since... well, it's for English.

Violence is fine. I just want some kind of framework to work inside for stats/monster gen/skills, since I've been winging it in the past and it gets pretty messy when I can't remember things or make monsters too strong (deus ex machina famous character swoops in to save the day), etc.

Any suggestions?

Also, if there are any good suggestions for Android utilities that can be used on a tablet... that would help, too. A good-looking die roller, for instance.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
D&D 4e Essentials, perhaps (or maybe standard 4e)? 4e is pretty simple anyway, and with the massive reduction in character options compared with base 4e, Essentials could be just what you're after.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Old School Hack is pretty simple (also free).

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
He did specify d20; I've no idea how Old School Hack works though, so it might qualify.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

hectorgrey posted:

He did specify d20; I've no idea how Old School Hack works though, so it might qualify.
Oh, right, my bad. I was thinking OSH uses d20s for some reason.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
For all I know, it might. I've never played it nor read the rules for it. I was just pointing out why my first thought was D&D.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

Microlite D20, perhaps? It's free and pretty stripped-down...

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes
Stargate-ish-thing!

Softer scifi with a focus on character growth and being jettisoned into foreign worlds with problems to solve that while they might be strange, still contain underlying human elements to them.

I was thinking maybe Dogs in the Vineyard, but I've never played it and wasn't sure if anyone else had a better idea.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

LincolnSmash posted:

Stargate-ish-thing!

Softer scifi with a focus on character growth and being jettisoned into foreign worlds with problems to solve that while they might be strange, still contain underlying human elements to them.

I was thinking maybe Dogs in the Vineyard, but I've never played it and wasn't sure if anyone else had a better idea.

We've reskinned DitV for a Star Wars game, and it worked great.

Akunin
Mar 12, 2002
Hello, Cthulhu!

CapnAndy posted:

What am I looking for? Please tell me it exists.

TechNoir

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

LincolnSmash posted:

Stargate-ish-thing!

What kind of gameplay and crunch level ate you looking for? Off the top of my head I'd go with fate or savage worlds for more pulpy sticking to the roots of stargate styled action, more crunchy you could do eclipse phase with the pandora gates.

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

What kind of gameplay and crunch level ate you looking for? Off the top of my head I'd go with fate or savage worlds for more pulpy sticking to the roots of stargate styled action, more crunchy you could do eclipse phase with the pandora gates.

I've looked at EP but it seems a bit too crunchy/clunky in spots.

FATE and SW are definitely "safe" options, though, if the group doesn't seem interested in indie-er games. I'll have to see if there are any conversions. I think Savage Worlds has a site for fan-made stuff, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Googling time, I guess.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Considering running a game for some friends that's based off of The World Ends With You, just in a different city so I can throw out whatever doesn't make sense in a tabletop game and keep the general framework. Any ideas on what might suit? I have time and inclination to monkey a bit, so I'm considering a severely hacked Savage Worlds or maybe some sort of FATE.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LincolnSmash posted:

I think Savage Worlds has a site for fan-made stuff, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Googling time, I guess.

Savage Heroes

Savagepedia

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

You've saved me a Google, and the latter site I haven't been to yet.

Thank you, sir.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Does anyone know which system would be good for a modern game including magic use, fantasy creatures and all that stuff? A long time ago I fell in love with the idea of D20 Modern, but from what I've read it isn't the best system to use for much of anything. I've become interested in running a campaign based in a Joburg where—along with all the standard magic and dragons and poo poo— District 9 and Zoo City are both real, though slightly different. Not looking for anything crunchier than D&D, due to some of my players not being regular tabletop gamers.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

saberwulf posted:

Does anyone know which system would be good for a modern game including magic use, fantasy creatures and all that stuff? A long time ago I fell in love with the idea of D20 Modern, but from what I've read it isn't the best system to use for much of anything. I've become interested in running a campaign based in a Joburg where—along with all the standard magic and dragons and poo poo— District 9 and Zoo City are both real, though slightly different. Not looking for anything crunchier than D&D, due to some of my players not being regular tabletop gamers.

If you want it to be a murder house use Unknown Armies or Nemesis, which is horror using the ORE engine and it is free, right here- http://www.arcdream.com/dennis/NEMESIS.pdf

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

saberwulf posted:

Dresden Files is pretty much that, and not too crunchy, either. Not sure how easy it is to customize right out of the box, but it is just FATE, so I can't imagine it being that hard.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

homerlaw posted:

If you want it to be a murder house use Unknown Armies or Nemesis, which is horror using the ORE engine and it is free, right here- http://www.arcdream.com/dennis/NEMESIS.pdf

I was stupid and forgot to mention in my post that my group is more story oriented, with less focus on combat.

InShaneee posted:

Dresden Files is pretty much that, and not too crunchy, either. Not sure how easy it is to customize right out of the box, but it is just FATE, so I can't imagine it being that hard.

I have absolutely no idea what Dresden Files is other than something about a zombie dinosaur. Will that make it difficult to use the system at all? Setting-wise I'm kind of going for a "thirty minutes in the future" version of Shadowrun. Like the closest thing to cyberpunk is wearing Google Glass.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

saberwulf posted:

I was stupid and forgot to mention in my post that my group is more story oriented, with less focus on combat.

Combat (with weapons, at least) is absolutely discouraged in Unknown Armies. It's fast and deadly as hell and is not for any situation where someone/everyone dying isn't on the table. It much prefers investigation and exploration as a system, from my perspective on it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

saberwulf posted:

I have absolutely no idea what Dresden Files is other than something about a zombie dinosaur. Will that make it difficult to use the system at all? Setting-wise I'm kind of going for a "thirty minutes in the future" version of Shadowrun. Like the closest thing to cyberpunk is wearing Google Glass.

Yeah you want Dresden Files given what you said about wanting more story focus. Sounds like a perfect fit for what you want.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

/\/\/\
Due to Ecophonic's clarification on combat I'm looking at this now:

Wow, this actually looks really good! Thank you all for the recommendation.

As a side, are there any other systems (FATE or not) that would fit my criteria without the sanity/madness mechanic? I was planning on going with a setting where the supernatural things like dragons, aliens, elves etc. have been around for enough years now that people have come to accept it. I'm thinking I could just gently caress with the madness meter stuff in NEMESIS to reserve the effect for really out there stuff like Star Doppelgangers and snuff, though.

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah you want Dresden Files given what you said about wanting more story focus. Sounds like a perfect fit for what you want.

I look into it now, thanks.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

saberwulf posted:

/\/\/\
Due to your clarification on combat I'm looking at this now:

Wow, this actually looks really good! Thank you all for the recommendation.

As a side, are there any other systems (FATE or not) that would fit my criteria without the sanity/madness mechanic? I was planning on going with a setting where the supernatural things like dragons, aliens, elves etc. have been around for enough years now that people have come to accept it. I'm thinking I could just gently caress with the madness meter stuff in NEMESIS to reserve the effect for really out there stuff like Star Doppelgangers and snuff, though.

In Dresden, if they play as a wizard or even friends of wizards they're pretty much understanding that tons of poo poo exists. You could just expand beyond the basic setting to make it more known to the general public, for whatever recourse that has. It's a system that balances the part time demon slayer who works as a cop and a rogue wizard detective, letting both be on the same narrative and combat level 99% of the time.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I just want a traditional fantasy game that has an aspect system similar to FATE with a fleshed out magic system. Legends of Anglerre's 'power skills' is about as shallow a magic system as you can get.

Bonus points if it has a system like fate points to balance characters of varying power.

I'd rather not have to hack a game to make it fit the traditional fantasy genre, either.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Take a look at Crimson Exodus, or Fantasy DICE, which is the system with the setting stripped out and is being released separately on August 1st. The Traits and Trigger Ammo that important characters get works similar to Aspects and Fate Points, but the system is far more structured.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

hectorgrey posted:

Take a look at Crimson Exodus, or Fantasy DICE, which is the system with the setting stripped out and is being released separately on August 1st. The Traits and Trigger Ammo that important characters get works similar to Aspects and Fate Points, but the system is far more structured.

I'm not sure I want to plop money down to check out Crimson Exodus when Fantasy DICE is right around the corner - so maybe you could help me out and tell me a bit more about the mechanics present.

Say I wanted to have an all powerful wizard and a farmer in the same party. Is there a mechanic present for them both to have meaningful impacts on the story like FATE has with fate points?

Furthermore let's say the party is running away from the town guard. Do I have a way to fairly cause one of the party members to trip and fall, similar to issuing a compel in FATE?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Ah. The game isn't that similar to FATE. It's somewhat more traditional than that. You can influence a character's actions based on their Characteristics, of which they pick two (or three, depending on race), and if the party are running down a cobbled street during a downpour, you can always ask for agility tests. As to power level, the game assumes that everyone is special by virtue of being a player character, and are of a similar power level.

Magic is fairly low-key for the most part, though big and flashy is available, and magical healing is never without price, so a regular farmer with a couple of useful skills could find himself more useful than the powerful mage in the right circumstances.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
I'm looking for a modern game that can do old school cyberpunk without a huge degree of crunch.

BoBtheImpaler
Oct 11, 2002
Dinosaur Gum
RULESET [Crunchy or less]

SUPPORT [Any]

CHARGEN [Involved or simpler]

SETTING [Any]

I'm thinking about trying to get some friends into tabletop RPGs, and whatever I run is going to have to have a cool magic system. Big, powerful, flexible, hopefully with players creating spells. Or just something really unique or elegant magic-wise. They are all big board game guys, so I'm not too terribly worried about the crunch, but they all kinda have boners for wizards so I want something very magic-centric.

My first inclination is some variation of Savage Worlds, but that's probably because I love the Savage Worlds system with all my heart, despite never actually playing it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ruleset Lite to Crunchy

Support Just not DIY

Character Generation Quick or Involved

Setting Any

So I'm thinking of doing A Thing -- Weird War II, with Nazi vampires and superweapons taken right from Zack Parsons' My Tank Is Fight. PCs would ideally be WWII icons (Audie Murphy, Jack Churchill, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, and the like), or their own veteran grandparents/great-grandparents for a personal touch. I want to run the sessions MapTool/Skype, and I'll be recruiting from here; the goal is eventually to have more than one team of PCs operating simultaneously in the game, but have the teams playing on separate nights, racing to complete the objective or (failing that) to go down helping the other team(s). Because of this, having a mechanism in the game for determining how long something took would be nice. I also want it very unlikely that every PC from every team makes it to the objective.

The default right now is Savage Worlds, Weird War II -- but I haven't played enough systems to know all of them and what they could do. Any other bright ideas?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
A friend of mine was saying that they wanted a game that has really robust freeform mechanics (he specifically cited FATE's Aspects), but also wanted some D&D-style meaty, crunchy tactical combat to go along with it. Is there a decent system out there that scratches both of those itches at the same time, or is he pining for the impossible?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Closest I can think of to FATE with crunchy combat is Fantasy DICE. The character creation involves choosing from a set amount of skills, choosing a Path (which is kinda like a Class in D&D except it doesn't impose restrictions so much as provide a level of definition). The player also chooses various traits, which act almost exactly like aspects in FATE. It's fairly cheap to get hold of from rpgnow, so it's certainly worth a try.

By the way, what system would people recommend for someone who wants to run a game in the Wheel of Time setting? I'd prefer a crunchy setting that would allow me to run a duel between blademasters and have it be interesting to play through (if it isn't that interesting to watch, I may pick one of the other players to run it while I focus on everyone else). The system I was considering was The Riddle of Steel (check my posts in the FATAL and friends thread for more details regarding the system), because it does free form spell casting very well, and does one on one combat very well.

hectorgrey fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 25, 2012

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Looking over the free one-page primer, Fantasy DICE actually looks pretty interesting! I like the roll scaling idea - lets the player choose between a really good chance to get an average result or a really slim chance to get an amazing one.

Tossed the suggestion his way, we'll see if anything awesome comes of it.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I've never had chance to play the system (though I did once try to get a game started here - got three players interested, then two of them were unable to play for different reasons). It has my preferred level of realism - realistic enough to make me cringe when someone gets hit with a sword, but streamlined enough that combat isn't bogged down by it. If your friend does like it, I very much recommend taking a look at Trauma as well; it's a supplement for the system that's half medical textbook, half awesome poo poo to describe when someone gets hit with a sword. It's not for everyone, I'll grant you, but it's pretty inexpensive and even if it doesn't get used in game, it's actually a fairly interesting read in its own right.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
This may be s dumb question, but what the heck is a "CPA" ruleset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

homullus posted:

Ruleset Lite to Crunchy

Support Just not DIY

Character Generation Quick or Involved

Setting Any

So I'm thinking of doing A Thing -- Weird War II, with Nazi vampires and superweapons taken right from Zack Parsons' My Tank Is Fight. PCs would ideally be WWII icons (Audie Murphy, Jack Churchill, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, and the like), or their own veteran grandparents/great-grandparents for a personal touch. I want to run the sessions MapTool/Skype, and I'll be recruiting from here; the goal is eventually to have more than one team of PCs operating simultaneously in the game, but have the teams playing on separate nights, racing to complete the objective or (failing that) to go down helping the other team(s). Because of this, having a mechanism in the game for determining how long something took would be nice. I also want it very unlikely that every PC from every team makes it to the objective.

The default right now is Savage Worlds, Weird War II -- but I haven't played enough systems to know all of them and what they could do. Any other bright ideas?

Godlike, the precursor to Wild Talents, is a One-Roll Engine game set in WW2 where both sides are using mildly superpowered soldiers. If you wanted to ditch some of the mechanical assumptions of Godlike you could just use normal Wild Talents rules as they add a little bit more freedom, while taking what you like from the Godlike setting.
The main reason I recommend this is that ORE games have a built-in mechanic for timing - your roll is determined by the width and height of a matching set of d10s rolled in a pool.
Height is the number that is rolled in the set, for example if I rolled 1,3,3,3,4,9 on six dice I would have one set of height 3. This determines the quality of whatever you were trying to achieve - 1s are barely successes while 10s are the best possible result you could have gotten.
Width is measured in the number of dice that make up your set - in the above example, your set has a width of 3. Width determines the speed of an action, with wider sets going faster or using less time. Combat goes by width, everyone rolls all their dice at the same time and sets are compared from there.
If time is an issue, make any challenges a contest of who can gain the most combined width from the same number of chances to roll. They might pull things off quick-and-dirty, or they might do things perfectly but slowly, or somewhere in between, and there are rules for special actions to play around with your height and width.
It's something to consider, at least. Plus I have a giant boner for Wild Talents. :iamafag: