Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
Are there any games out there set in a fantasy Renaissance time period other than 7th Sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Keska posted:

Are there any games out there set in a fantasy Renaissance time period other than 7th Sea?
Carcassonne.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Keska posted:

Blue Rose.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker

Man-Thing posted:

Carcassonne.

ManMythLegend posted:

Blue Rose.

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for RPGs, not board games, but thank you. Blue Rose will give me something to look at!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
What rules should I use for a West Wing style political roleplay?
The general idea is that the PC's will be part of the team trying to get their candidate elected president, and if that goes well then they will form the support staff for his administration. The West Wing, or the recent Ides of March movie would be a good pattern for what I'm going for here. Fast paced political drama with some personal issues mixed in.

Here's the systems we've brainstormed so far:

Exalted: Social Combat and Social charms would work well. We would probably tone down a lot of the social charms, and also use Dragonborn since their power level is lower.

Legend of the Five Rings: Because it has good social rules and the elemental attribute system is really cool and useful. Also the taint system could be used for political corruption or something.

In A Wicked Age: Because its extremely freeform and easy to pick up and play.

Storyteller: Because all my players know it.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Dogs in the Vineyard to simulate brinksmanship. Don't know how'd it actually play out, but I like the idea.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Have you read shock. Social Science Fiction? It's a "Story Game" but that doesn't mean you couldn't use it for a more ongoing system. It's just a shade crunchier than Fiasco! though, so be warned it's pretty rules-lightnonexistant.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

I'm not sure storyteller would be the best option, but if you do decide to go with it I'd recommend looking into the Social Combat rules presented in Danse Macabre. I think those would be nice for representing negotiations and politicking and the like.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kemper Boyd posted:

Dogs in the Vineyard to simulate brinksmanship. Don't know how'd it actually play out, but I like the idea.

This is a really clever idea and I may have to steal it. Have your personal beliefs as usual and treat your platform as equipment and relationships with varying groups of constituents, other politicians, or PACs. Use the escalating combat rules to simulate more aggressive or negative campaigning or higher levels of corruption.

Makes me want to try Transmetropolitan in it, actually. Hard-on for The Truth 2d8, Bowel Disruptor 2d6 anyone?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Burning Wheel has a pretty good social mechanic, as I understand it; that may be worth a look.

As to fantasy Renaissance, Pathfinder has some pretty decent stuff for that; Ultimate Combat comes with vehicles, weapon stats and more, including stuff that would fit if you were to advance the setting a hundred years or so. Let's see that red dragon shrug off a ten gun broadside... Also, because firearms in Pathfinder use a ranged touch attack, armour will be less common, making DEX based builds more the norm and rapiers or daggers the melee weapon of choice in many situations. This, of course, assumes that you're OK with using the d20 system - never been a huge fan of it myself, but I prefer Pathfinder over the other iterations. Alternatively, The Riddle of Steel is quite good for this (particularly with The Flower of Battle), but you'd have to do a fair bit of work with the setting.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

The general idea is that the PC's will be part of the team trying to get their candidate elected president, and if that goes well then they will form the support staff for his administration. The West Wing, or the recent Ides of March movie would be a good pattern for what I'm going for here. Fast paced political drama with some personal issues mixed in.

Oooh! Oooh! I know this one!

How's about A Dirty World? Not necessarily the noir part, but everything else would seem to fit into what you're trying to do.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Keska posted:

Agone is a French game. Its sort of like the halfway point between Exalted and 7th Sea. It is however, very French, so if you don't like that Brotherhood of the Wolf/Cadwallon/Confrontation style dark fantasy it might not be your thing.

Accursed
Oct 10, 2002

What system should I use for a fairly light, fast-to-run traditional dungeon crawl?

I apologize for not using the format in the OP to post my question, but what I'm looking for is a fast-to-play lightish ruleset that would let me run fantasy dungeon crawls fairly well. I like parts of Old School Hack where the monsters are pretty straightforward and simple to use (and very crawl-y), but the rules are a bit too lighthearted for my taste and their arena system makes it really hard to do a traditional dungeon crawl. I've looked at microlite D20, but I'm not quite sure if that's what I would want to go with (if anyone is familiar with it and can talk it up, please do!).

Basically I want something that's easy to put characters together in, fairly simple to adjudicate, but still lets me capture the essence of a dungeon hack-and-slash, and that might even let me use old adventure templates (if for nothing else than monster placement/dungeon setup, even if I have to redo the monsters in the system that gets suggested).

I'm sorry this is all pretty vague, but any suggestions would be really welcome.

Edited to add bold to make it more clear I'm looking for help

Accursed fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 28, 2012

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Here's the systems we've brainstormed so far:

Exalted: Social Combat and Social charms would work well. We would probably tone down a lot of the social charms, and also use Dragonborn since their power level is lower.

Legend of the Five Rings: Because it has good social rules and the elemental attribute system is really cool and useful. Also the taint system could be used for political corruption or something.

In A Wicked Age: Because its extremely freeform and easy to pick up and play.

Well if you want a system that actually does modern well and also has a pretty legit rule set for exactly what you're talking about, there's always GURPS:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG37-0140

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm trying to learn to GM and want to whet my teeth on creating some stuff before I dive into something as rules heavy as D&D. To that end, I'm looking for a flexible system that I can use to run some one-off mini-campaigns based in...I haven't decieded where they'll be based in, other than modern-near future. But first, I need a system so I can worry more about writing a story than inventing mechanics.

RULESET: Normal or Lite, with at least some rules for combat (which will be most of the time). Less rules=more flexible, right?
SUPPORT: User-generated. I don't mind statting everything if I have a frame of reference.
CHARGEN: Quick, maybe Involved if it ends up sufficiently hard to gimp your character. Players will probably be new to traditional gaming.
SETTING: Universal, or Neutral with a modern flavor.

Demanding, yes, but I have faith in this crowd to help me out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I'm trying to learn to GM and want to whet my teeth on creating some stuff before I dive into something as rules heavy as D&D. To that end, I'm looking for a flexible system that I can use to run some one-off mini-campaigns based in...I haven't decieded where they'll be based in, other than modern-near future. But first, I need a system so I can worry more about writing a story than inventing mechanics.

RULESET: Normal or Lite, with at least some rules for combat (which will be most of the time). Less rules=more flexible, right?
SUPPORT: User-generated. I don't mind statting everything if I have a frame of reference.
CHARGEN: Quick, maybe Involved if it ends up sufficiently hard to gimp your character. Players will probably be new to traditional gaming.
SETTING: Universal, or Neutral with a modern flavor.

Demanding, yes, but I have faith in this crowd to help me out.

Give Savage Worlds a look. The Explorer's Edition is a $10 digest-size book, so it's not a huge outlay of cash. The system is generic and designed for flexibility to a lot of different genres, there's a ton of user-developed content out there and some pretty cool "official" settings too. It's on the light-to-medium end of the crunch scale (I think the most confusing part is figuring skill costs). It's a really fun low-prep system.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Evil Mastermind posted:

Give Savage Worlds a look. The Explorer's Edition is a $10 digest-size book, so it's not a huge outlay of cash. The system is generic and designed for flexibility to a lot of different genres, there's a ton of user-developed content out there and some pretty cool "official" settings too. It's on the light-to-medium end of the crunch scale (I think the most confusing part is figuring skill costs). It's a really fun low-prep system.

The quick start rules look pretty awesome. Thanks!

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I agree with Savage Worlds - there are more flexible games, but sometimes a greater amount of rules allows for a greater degree of flexibility - take GURPS for instance. I rather like GURPS, but Savage Worlds is a far better system for newbie GMS. Pathfinder isn't too bad for the newbie GM, and is more similar to D&D, but yeah, Savage Worlds is probably your best bet for your first GMing session.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

hectorgrey posted:

I agree with Savage Worlds - there are more flexible games, but sometimes a greater amount of rules allows for a greater degree of flexibility - take GURPS for instance. I rather like GURPS, but Savage Worlds is a far better system for newbie GMS. Pathfinder isn't too bad for the newbie GM, and is more similar to D&D, but yeah, Savage Worlds is probably your best bet for your first GMing session.

GURPS is fantastic, but you really want to learn how to GM it with a pre-gen set up like Dungeon Fantasy, Action, Monster Hunters, Black Ops, etc if you aren't learning by playing in someone else's campaign. The toolkit aspects of it will flatten you if you're not versed with the system.

However, Captain Walker, if your homebrew idea meshes with an action movie vibe I highly recommend you check out GURPS Action. It's a great splat and a good introduction to the system besides.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Here's another one for you - which system would you use for a game similar in mechanics to The Witcher games? I'm unfamiliar with the books, what with only the early ones being translated into English, but the focus on standard medieval weaponry with very little magical healing (or magic in general) in a world with big, nasty monsters seems cool to me.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Fantasycraft could do that quite well, and I expect FATE-style games could do something good too.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
FantasyCraft would probably be more my cup of tea; while FATE has some very good ideas behind it, I like a fair bit of crunch to my combat. As to FantasyCraft, how would one go about modelling the Signs?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Writing up some new Paths would probably be the easiest way, if you don't think taking levels in a 'real' caster-class would suit. You'd need to find a way to give those Paths to the relevant character(s) though.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly sure they had The Witcher in mind when they wrote the Monster Slayer and Alchemist expert classes.

Edit: Someone wrote up a base class for a Witcher-based character on the Crafty forums called The Primer.

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 3, 2012

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Oldest Man posted:

However, Captain Walker, if your homebrew idea meshes with an action movie vibe I highly recommend you check out GURPS Action. It's a great splat and a good introduction to the system besides.

D6 also did an action movie book, D6 Adventure. Here's a mirror for the download:
http://www.polgarusgames.com/D6/

It's pretty much the Indiana Jones game without the licensed material, so the equipment and weapons lists are from the 1930s. D6 lends itself well to action movie style games, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
As a an experiment I'm thinking about doing a Naruto-themed ninja game.
The idea is to strip away the stuff that is too much anime and go for a very gritty feel, basically a more 'realistic' take on the setting.
I think you can have some great moments, with the players conducting assassinations behind enemy lines, having to sneak in and out, live off the land while doing so.

So I'm looking for RPGs with an emphasis on sneaking and survival while still supporting the supernatural abilities.

RULESET: Normal or higher
SUPPORT: User-generated or higher
CHARGEN: Involved or lower
SETTING: Neutral or lower

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
GURPS could potentially work, though chargen is pretty drat involved in that system. It does support just about anything you want it to though, and it's rather gritty still - if you want it to be. It'll just take a shitload of legwork. The Martial Arts book is drat near essential for this.

Crimson Exodus could probably do it - assassinations, poisonings and survival have some decent stuff in there and attacks against unaware targets are incredibly nasty, but the supernatural stuff boils down to elemental control, the dark arts and blood magic. The use of Trigger Ammo (similar to FATE points) and Hero Points. Turning into fifty copies of yourself might be difficult to support though. I'd also recommend picking up the Trauma companion; it allows you to dole out some truly awful, medically accurate punishment to people - just the thing for when your players hosed up that assassination and got their heads kicked in...

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
What would be a good system for running something like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video games?

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

What would be a good system for running something like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video games?

GURPS. Seriously, this is the kind of thing that GURPS does very well. Having said that, Cyberpunk 2020 is pretty good at that, once you strip away the setting.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

InfiniteJesters posted:

ShadowRun 4e is also good at military espionage and "don't get loving shot, not even once" style play.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
I have another question.
Are there systems (and maybe settings) that are better suited or maybe just more popular for PbP than others ?
I believe there is a preference for D&D, which might be because 4Es support for map combat, but I'd like to hear your opinion on the matter.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
I'd argue that D&D is actually worse for pbp; primarily due to the number of actions that can be performed outside of a player's turn. In 3.5, we have attacks of opportunity. In 4e, we have all kinds of interupts, marks and suchlike depending on what other people do on their turns. When it comes to PBP, you ideally want a system that's designed to work without maps and miniatures, because that way combat doesn't slow the game quite so badly. BRP is one of my preferred systems for that kind of thing.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Yeah but it's also an issue of popularity and familiarity.
The D&D rules (and Fantasy in general) is something most are familiar with, even if they are only casual RPers.
I'd also say that 4E lends itself well to the types of games that work well with PbP.
And of course maps and other tools help keep the game going, which is an issue with PbP.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mllaneza posted:

D6 also did an action movie book, D6 Adventure. Here's a mirror for the download:
http://www.polgarusgames.com/D6/

It's pretty much the Indiana Jones game without the licensed material, so the equipment and weapons lists are from the 1930s. D6 lends itself well to action movie style games, so you shouldn't have any trouble using it.

If you get into D6, one of the cool things you can do is look for old TORG stuff. The Revised Edition gave some real simple tips on converting existing stats to Open D6 by dividing any values by 3 to get stats.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

A friend of mine wants to run a relatively rules like RPG version of High Frontier. Basically have each person RPing as a head of government or top scientist or whatever and work to make their space agency the best. It'll be a mix of stuff in space and economic/political stuff on earth.

Any suggestions for a basic resource management system we could use? Just something basic to cover opportunity costs of expanding/developing or whatever.

quote:

RULES: this is a role playing game; but atypical. Its a solar system scale simulation/role playing game mediated by me. Characters are not together/or part of group/party. No strict rules apply and I intend most communication to be by email/im. Meetings between characters we can do in person when appropriate/when we feel like it.

I'll mediate player actions at time scales that are appropriate for whatever everyone is doing (if some people want to do lots in a small amount of time, and others don't, I'll try to resolve it at a reasonable pace. And cut everyone else in on the news or information available about what is going on, and however much they would plausibly be able to know about what others want to be doing). Please keep as much as you are prepared to share as reply-all or consider writing short media statements at least about what your characters are up to, or I will but it is extra work for me, and less control for you.

Only real mechanics so far would be for in space movement where we'll use High Frontier and their maps but something to represent earth based economic/political stuff is what we're looking for. I remember a goony earth based civ style game I think?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Young Freud posted:

If you get into D6, one of the cool things you can do is look for old TORG stuff. The Revised Edition gave some real simple tips on converting existing stats to Open D6 by dividing any values by 3 to get stats.

Ars Magica: each 5 points of spell level is a D6 worth, otherwise run a D6 Fantasy game.
Classic Traveller: add 1 to the stat and convert it into dice codes. Do the same for skill dice, allot skills to stats as appropriate.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I want to run a game in a setting based on heavy metal where the goal is to be as metal as humanly possible.

Anything that isn't Warhammer 40000 that enables this?

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

InfiniteJesters posted:

I want to run a game in a setting based on heavy metal where the goal is to be as metal as humanly possible.

Anything that isn't Warhammer 40000 that enables this?

"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" is the first thing that comes to mind. It's basically "Starship Troopers: The Movie: The RPG". It's pretty rules light, but all you're doing is killing as many alien bugs as possible, all the time.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

InShaneee posted:

"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" is the first thing that comes to mind. It's basically "Starship Troopers: The Movie: The RPG". It's pretty rules light, but all you're doing is killing as many alien bugs as possible, all the time.

This looks perfect. I resolve to run this one day, aided with beer, Bolt Thrower and Manowar blaring on a stereo, and pretzels.

I will transcribe whatever my hungover rear end remembers the next day. :haw:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Having just beaten Mass Effect 3 (uuuuuuuuuuuugh) and with like four of my friends on the cusp of the ending as well, I figure it's inevitable that we're going to end up playing a Mass Effect RPG in the near future, if only out of a mutual need to exorcise our demons.

Ruleset: Normal to Crunchy. Something that would allow for a certain measure of tactical combat would be great (one member of our crew is a selfconfessed grognard and would appreciate some crunch).

Support: User Generated would probably be best

Chargen: Involved

Setting: Neutral or Universal. We already know what the setting is and would be rewritting existing material to fit into it.

I saw Traveler mentioned earlier in the thread, but I got the sense that Traveler was a lot more about narrative and exploration and is a bit light on the action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

Strange Matter posted:

Having just beaten Mass Effect 3 (uuuuuuuuuuuugh) and with like four of my friends on the cusp of the ending as well, I figure it's inevitable that we're going to end up playing a Mass Effect RPG in the near future, if only out of a mutual need to exorcise our demons.
I saw Traveler mentioned earlier in the thread, but I got the sense that Traveler was a lot more about narrative and exploration and is a bit light on the action.
I'm using Rogue Trader right now to simulate Mass Effect, but it is very much not a tactical game. You could certainly just use D&D 4e and reskin wizards as Biotics and Warlocks as Infiltrators. Also cure light woundsmedi-gel is a pretty easy swap.