Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

LincolnSmash posted:

If I wanted to do simmy post-apoc a la Fallout, should I use BRP or ORE? Savage Worlds seems okay, but I'm not sure it's my cup o' tea. BRP may be showing its age a bit, even in its most recent form, but it still strikes me as slightly more intuitive than ORE's system due to everything being percentiles.

Nemesis in the ORE can do this fairly well, I just tried a game recently and I was surprised by how flexible the ORE really is. Plus it's available free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

What rules should I use for a West Wing style political roleplay?
The general idea is that the PC's will be part of the team trying to get their candidate elected president, and if that goes well then they will form the support staff for his administration. The West Wing, or the recent Ides of March movie would be a good pattern for what I'm going for here. Fast paced political drama with some personal issues mixed in.

Oooh! Oooh! I know this one!

How's about A Dirty World? Not necessarily the noir part, but everything else would seem to fit into what you're trying to do.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Wild Talents sounds like what you're looking for - just set up all their powers so they are tied to some 'transformation' power and then you have two skillsets for use, one while powered and one while not.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

homullus posted:

Ruleset Lite to Crunchy

Support Just not DIY

Character Generation Quick or Involved

Setting Any

So I'm thinking of doing A Thing -- Weird War II, with Nazi vampires and superweapons taken right from Zack Parsons' My Tank Is Fight. PCs would ideally be WWII icons (Audie Murphy, Jack Churchill, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, and the like), or their own veteran grandparents/great-grandparents for a personal touch. I want to run the sessions MapTool/Skype, and I'll be recruiting from here; the goal is eventually to have more than one team of PCs operating simultaneously in the game, but have the teams playing on separate nights, racing to complete the objective or (failing that) to go down helping the other team(s). Because of this, having a mechanism in the game for determining how long something took would be nice. I also want it very unlikely that every PC from every team makes it to the objective.

The default right now is Savage Worlds, Weird War II -- but I haven't played enough systems to know all of them and what they could do. Any other bright ideas?

Godlike, the precursor to Wild Talents, is a One-Roll Engine game set in WW2 where both sides are using mildly superpowered soldiers. If you wanted to ditch some of the mechanical assumptions of Godlike you could just use normal Wild Talents rules as they add a little bit more freedom, while taking what you like from the Godlike setting.
The main reason I recommend this is that ORE games have a built-in mechanic for timing - your roll is determined by the width and height of a matching set of d10s rolled in a pool.
Height is the number that is rolled in the set, for example if I rolled 1,3,3,3,4,9 on six dice I would have one set of height 3. This determines the quality of whatever you were trying to achieve - 1s are barely successes while 10s are the best possible result you could have gotten.
Width is measured in the number of dice that make up your set - in the above example, your set has a width of 3. Width determines the speed of an action, with wider sets going faster or using less time. Combat goes by width, everyone rolls all their dice at the same time and sets are compared from there.
If time is an issue, make any challenges a contest of who can gain the most combined width from the same number of chances to roll. They might pull things off quick-and-dirty, or they might do things perfectly but slowly, or somewhere in between, and there are rules for special actions to play around with your height and width.
It's something to consider, at least. Plus I have a giant boner for Wild Talents. :iamafag:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
FATE Core. Absolutely FATE Core, it's flexible enough to do whatever you need it to while giving you consistent mechanics the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Check out Atomic Robo. It's a more updated FATE game than Spirit of the Century and it does pulp science fiction fantastically.