Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Running an internet 4e game soon, roughly based on Fire Emblem but with more of a classic D&D spin. Woo. That's all great, but the problem is that skills have left me wanting in a big way, and there were several times when I was doing extended non-combat sessions where I really wished I had something to fall back on.

So I'm thinking about doing just that. Yeah, two systems is extra overhead for all involved, but the players are all quite familiar with 4e and sharp enough to handle it, I think.

Question is, does such a mythical system exist that:
- can flexibly handle a variety of non-combat situations,
- won't suffer horribly upon having combat systems mostly ignored,
- and won't impose additional overhead and wackiness when combat is going on?

Super bonus points if it can also handle group management - I can always wedge in REIGN Companies, too, but three systems miiiight be pushing the limits of overhead, even though I suspect I have a couple players who would love the idea.

I am probably dreaming beyond practicality, here, but drat it it's worth a try.
If you want to use another system for non combat stuff I suggest Legends of Anglerre.

It's Fits quite well with the three points you mentioned and It even comes with it's own company type rules so you don't have to try and bolt reign onto it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever made a system that tries to capture the feel of a Japanese console RPG? There's the fan-made Final Fantasy one but as I recall it was a design-by-committee mess of mismatched mechanics.

Hey i know this was a couple of pages back but anyone interested in somthing like this should check out Retro Phaze. Its a really good game based on early final fantasy and other JRPG games. (and it's free)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Captain Walker posted:

Ruleset: Crunchy
Support: User-Generated
Chargen: Involved
Setting: Universal
Demands: Potentially Unreasonable

My pipe dream is a game based on the Persona series, where your character's special abilities in combat are derived from an anime monster you summon from the ~sea of your soul~ or whatever. Since Personae are strengthened by interactions with PCs and NPCs the game would seem to work really, really well in a * World hack with all the relationship stats...but * World games are too fiction-based, to the degree such a thing is possible. Ditto FATE I want to take all the crunch that a game like D&D uses for character building, magic item management, etc. and cram it all into in Persona creation and leveling, so that your actual character becomes fairly low-maintenance, leaving you free to dick around investigating until the bad guys show up and you switch to roll-playing.

Am I going to have to write this game I want to play from scratch? Is there, at the very minimum, a system to use as a starting point? I see a lot of lovely games on DriveThruRPG that claim to be the next coming of Gygax, only for anime games/JRPG-style games/whatever and they invariably aren't when I pick them up.

You could also give Tenra bansho Zero a look

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

I know this was a ways back but i really want to push this game Retro Phase Is a really light Final Fantasy style rpg it does assume a grid but it's completely playable without one and it's free

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
then just do that? you get gp from dungeons and have to spend them in town to level tah dah. the big problem is that you don't want to grind in a ttrpg so either levels gear or both need to not be that important.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

inklesspen posted:

Dunno about the combat lethality (I think it's adjustable, so maybe?) but otherwise Reign is exactly what you want.

lol Reign is so magical that people have the natural ability to sense magic, it's a world where water meets land at a 90 degree angle and you get fire magic by dancing

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
even then it still has a large amount of sorcery and such that it's not exactly a guy looking for magic as proto-science (at best) wants. like players can grow wings and fly 30 feet in the air and drop boulders on armies or forge swords with the power of souls. and i normally wouldn't be so pedantic but he made a weird aside for the lethality of the game (reign is really loving leathal btw) but not for you know all the magic

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

hectorgrey posted:

Dungeon world is a really good one for newbies, both to play and to GM.

I strongly disagree with this, Dungeon world requires a decent if not large amount of improv ability that most new players and Gm's lack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kwyndig posted:

Okay, so I figured out this afternoon that I want to play Aberrant again... except I'd rather not use its janky rear end broken system. So recommend me some good supers systems that aren't four colors.

double cross