Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Would GURPS, d20 Future, Diaspora or something completely different be best for playing a sci-fi game in the vein of Mass Effect (albeit with a more homebrew setting?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
May I ask what's wrong with d20 Future (besides that it inherits what shortcomings follow any d20 system game, obviously)?

And if it clarifies things a little, the setting is...Somewhat harder, I think, than Mass Effect? And it doesn't have Mass Effect's lame restrictions on cybernetics/transhumanism.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Winson_Paine posted:

Why would you post a question in this thread if you already had your answer?

It just seems odd to me that people would be okay with, say, D&D 3E/3.5E but dislike d20 Modern/Future and I was wondering if they changed something drastically despite being the same core system.

Aaaaand Man-Thing just answered my question. I *do* remember reading about tanks/vehicles in d20 Modern being absolutely broken as Hell, sooo... :v:

@The Oldest Man: Heard of, yes. Read, no. Probably should do so.

@HectorGrey: I might as well give it a shot. Now to see if the gaming store in this tiny town actually has it...

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
What would be a good system for running something like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. video games?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I want to run a game in a setting based on heavy metal where the goal is to be as metal as humanly possible.

Anything that isn't Warhammer 40000 that enables this?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

InShaneee posted:

"3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars" is the first thing that comes to mind. It's basically "Starship Troopers: The Movie: The RPG". It's pretty rules light, but all you're doing is killing as many alien bugs as possible, all the time.

This looks perfect. I resolve to run this one day, aided with beer, Bolt Thrower and Manowar blaring on a stereo, and pretzels.

I will transcribe whatever my hungover rear end remembers the next day. :haw:

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
If you want to play Mass Effect in TTRPG form, try Stars Without Number! :eng101:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=86467&src=SNP_SWN_ImageLink&affiliate_id=323031

Its three classes/archetypes/skill trees even fit into the Biotic/Tech/Combat categories of Mass Effect, and there's rules for multiclassing if you've gotta have your awesome Sentinel or Infiltrator.

Naturally it will take some tweaking but it's free and flexible, so I imagine tweaking it to your liking should be a doable task.

It even has the gravity-operated guns from Mass Effect (albeit as artifact gear incapable of burstfire).

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I'm pondering getting Diaspora and want to know what the difference in focus is between it and Stars Without Number.

Any advice?

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Ahhhh, okay then.

Are there any demos/examples of play for Diaspora around? I still have trouble imagining exactly what it's like in motion.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 17, 2012

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I think I'll just stick with Stars Without Number, then. :v:

My only complaint about it is that the gearlist is rather modest compared to some. (On the other hand, this may be deliberate---quit dicking around in the space shopping mall and go reshape the universe already!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Apocalypse World. The theme's in the name, and combat can be pretty brutally swift (unless you're a gunlugger, in which case you're an absolute beast---but will likely attract a proportionate amount of heat looking for your head).

Adding in penalties for limb loss would probably be a trivial matter. It's very easily hackable.