Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Xand_Man posted:

What system should I use for:
Jesus Christ had the divine knowledge of the blessed Celestial "Ars Pugnica" (Kung Fu), which he then taught to his disciples.

It's now the Protestant Reformation. Both the protestants and the catholic church have supernatural martial artists. Hijinks ensue.

RULESET: Crunchy or below
SUPPORT: Established or below
CHARGEN: Normal
SETTING: Neutral or below.

I'm looking for tactical combat support. Weapons of the Gods is nice but too slow.

If your kung-fu is more on Street Fighter side of the spectrum then Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion might work well for you. It can offer decently tactical combat, and if the SPC will allow for a decent amount of character differentiation to simulate the different styles.

pre:
Savage Worlds
RULESET: Lite-ish
SUPPORT: DIY to User Generated
CHARGEN: Quick
SETTING: Universal
You can sample the Savage Worlds system for free HERE, though the stuff in the Super Powers Companions isn't in there. If your local store carries SW you can get the Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition and the SPC for about $30. If you prefer PDF's you can probably get them cheaper, and you can get the new Savage Worlds Deluxe rules which is the latest version that hasn't hit stores yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cheap Soda posted:

Savage Worlds wouldn't be bad at all. It's a very open game and I hear the gameplay is fast too.

Has anyone played it through a campaign? Is the combat fast paced?

Sadly I have yet to play a Savage Worlds game without using the internet, so I can't vouch for its speed at a table. Based on the couple of games I've run on here though it seems to run smoothly enough.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Zero_Grade posted:

You should use GURPS for everything ever.

So should everyone.

No thank you.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

So I have two of my players wanting to try their hands at DMing, this will be their first games so, take that into account. Also we're an internet group, so nothing like Dread or Gamma World which requires lots of table interaction.

RULESET: Lite/Freeform
SUPPORT DIY/User Generated
CHARGEN Quick
SETTING Universal/Neutral
For both of them.

Player 1 wants to run an Assasins Creed style game. Break into a nobles house, overcome security, assasinate some dude. That kind of thing. Trap filled house, stealth, etc.

Player 2 wants to run a sort of magical-realism thing with Eastern Mythology. A group of Samurai have to help a Sun Goddess out against some Oni Demons. Some social, some fighting, hopefully the kind of explosive over the top fighting Exalted pretends to have.

Any ideas? I just keep shouting FATE at them through a megaphone.

I've stayed away from this thread because my knee jerk response is Savage Worlds, but seriously, try Savage Worlds.

The benefit of FATE and Savage Worlds is that you can try both for free. Have your players make their characters using both systems and run a session of each and see which you like more.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

I've been looking into various generic systems to run my homebrew setting in (currently using 4e because that's what I knew and while I love it it gets kind of draining to resking absolutely everything), and Savage Worlds looks pretty interesting. I didn't see any specific thread here for it, would any specific SW questions go into the indie games thread? How well does it work for PbP?

There was a short lived SW thread, but I think most discussion on it has migrated to the Indie Games Thread.

As far as PbP goes, it works about as well as any other system does for PbP. If you want to check it out for yourself, there are three games in the live forum: LLSix's new X-Com game, Captain Indigo's Lost Goblins game, and my old X-Com game.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sad Mammal posted:

What game(s) would people recommend if I was looking for something similar to D&D 4e's level of fun, tactical combat?

Savage World's combat uses minis by default and they even broke the combat system out to spin-off a skirmish war game. It's not as complex as 4E but it can be pretty fun.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

TK-31 posted:

Is there anything out there designed to replicate the feel of beat em up/hack n slash games where its a few dudes vs dozens/hundreds of mooks? Unified resolution mechanics and other modern mechanics preferred but not necessary.

I'm thinking of homebrewing something for a Dynasty Warriors esque game but I'd rather not put a lot of effort into it if someone else already did all the hard work.

Why don't you try to reflavor something like 3:16? Instead of aliens you could wade through hordes of poorly trained mooks.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

hectorgrey posted:

Here's a question - I rewatched mighty morphin' power rangers because I was really loving bored. I was wondering what system people would use for this; it would need to handle basic humans just as well as superpowered characters (since they have no powers in their suits), which rules GURPS and HERO out, since GURPS doesn't handle superhuman characters very well, and HERO doesn't handle regular humans very well.

I'd prefer pretty crunchy, since combat would be a fairly major portion of the campaign, and a decent level of realism on the human level (that is, a human can't take a solid hit from Goldar's sword without needing emergency medical treatment, and so forth), and naturally it'll need to handle vehicles reasonably well. So, any ideas guys?

Incidentally, I'd also use a few ideas from the movie, wherein the suits also have enhanced vision modes and poo poo like that. Also, the guns that the Rangers get would hopefully actually see some use.

How about D&D 4E? It's simple with a lot of crunchy combat. Also, with appropriate flavor, the powers can be suitably campy, four color, and over the top.

Barring that, I'll go with my default recommendation of Savage Worlds with the Super Powers Companion.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Keska posted:

Are there any games out there set in a fantasy Renaissance time period other than 7th Sea?

Blue Rose.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LincolnSmash posted:

I think Savage Worlds has a site for fan-made stuff, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Googling time, I guess.

Savage Heroes

Savagepedia

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

hairrorist posted:

Thanks guys. I'm also looking into Tribe 8. I've heard great things about it.

Isn't GURPS kind of a pain in the rear end to work with? Out of all my years of gaming, I've not yet played with that system.

You could try Savage Worlds with the optional "Gritty Damage" rules. They're pretty harsh, but the system is overall way easier to deal with then GURPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

hairrorist posted:

Savage Worlds is one I've been meaning to pick up, but there's so very many editions that I have no idea where to start.

What's the difference between the regular, the explorer, the deluxe, and the deluxe explorer, for instance? And why haven't they beheaded their marketing guy yet?

Deluxe Explorer's Edition is the newest, and conviently, the cheapest version of the rules. Just go with that one.