Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyshall posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Quest/content mods that fit in well with the game, aside from Tamriel Rebuilt/etc? High quality stuff that either fleshes out existing factions or adds new, lore friendly factions?

If you plan on joining House Telvanni, I really can't recommend these enough.

Rise of House Telvanni http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=4449

Uvirith's Legacy http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5997

Make sure to get the compatibility addon on the Rise of House Telvanni page. Together they add about as much content as the main quest, if not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You are the man, SuitDude, thanks. I'll be grabbing that and trying one of the Sixth House mods, plus the other poo poo Mr. Crow and CoP recommended. My current Morrowind install is my favorite Bethesda game engine install on my computer right now :)

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I managed to fix my problem earlier by simply deleting the install folder and starting over, but now I'm running into a strange problem where MGE will work for all things except changing resolution. I can see the MGE-XE message in the top-left when I load, and all the shaders work fine, but the game is stuck in whatever default resolution I had the game on last. I'm not sure if this is related, but unlike when I used the MGE workaround (I don't any more), morrowind.exe still opens the loader, but pressing play a second time loads the game normally.

Is this a known issue, and is there a solution for it?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

yerrow peril posted:

I managed to fix my problem earlier by simply deleting the install folder and starting over, but now I'm running into a strange problem where MGE will work for all things except changing resolution. I can see the MGE-XE message in the top-left when I load, and all the shaders work fine, but the game is stuck in whatever default resolution I had the game on last. I'm not sure if this is related, but unlike when I used the MGE workaround (I don't any more), morrowind.exe still opens the loader, but pressing play a second time loads the game normally.

Is this a known issue, and is there a solution for it?

This is a known problem, and relatively common depending on the cause. Did you try opening the Morrowind launcher, changing the screen resolution once, exiting, then changing it in MGE?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
If anyone is an interested, I made a script awhile back for Wrye Mash that creates a patched with renamed spells like Wrye Bash for Oblivion.

I got tired of the disorganization of my spell book, and wanted my spells sorted by school and cost. This script creates a patch plugin based on the spells in all loaded plugins and prepends the school character and a number based on the spell's cost.

This python script needs to be placed in the Mopy folder with the other Wrye Mash files. It works with Python 2.4 through 2.7. You can run it by double-clicking, or better by opening a command line so you can actually see the text after it is finished working. The new plugin file will be named "Spell Renamer Patch.esp", so make sure nothing already has that name or it will get overwritten.

Unfortunately, spell names are limited to 32 characters, so some long names will get truncated if you use this. The truncated names are displayed so you know what's up.

Link: http://inverness.dreamhosters.com/public/Morrowind/spell_renamer.zip
Screenshot:

SuitDude posted:

If you plan on joining House Telvanni, I really can't recommend these enough.

Rise of House Telvanni http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=4449

Uvirith's Legacy http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5997

Make sure to get the compatibility addon on the Rise of House Telvanni page. Together they add about as much content as the main quest, if not more.
Wow, thanks for linking those, they look like gems. It seems like it is going to take a bit of effort to move all of my stuff out of Tel Uvirith to upgrade to the mod.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 5, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
If anyone has ever had problems with installing MSGO, don't feel bad about it; I just had it fail for me (reproducibly) on a pristine backup that worked before. :what:

edit: It was complaining about not being able to find a file. That's because it hit Windows 7's 269 character filepath limit! How? Mostly hashes used as massive loving file names (looks like well over 60 characters), twice in a path! :argh: I know it's the code patch, it was in the mcpatch directory.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 11, 2011

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that heads a slight headbob? I think my biggest gripe with Morrowind now in it's late age is how static the world feels and I think a headbob would help alleviate that.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that heads a slight headbob? I think my biggest gripe with Morrowind now in it's late age is how static the world feels and I think a headbob would help alleviate that.
This sounds like it should work: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7773

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 26, 2021

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

harrygomm posted:

I've gotten the game up and running using most of the mods from BTBs page and ran around the starting town a bit. However, my agility is now 25 points lower than it should be and it's colored red. I assumed this meant poison or disease, so I bought the cure poison spell and successfully casting it did nothing. There is nobody selling cure disease, nor any plant/animal matter that I can eat/make into a potion to do the same. No restore agility stuff exists around here easily it seems either. So my question is two-fold. How do I tell if there is an active disease, curse, or poison on me? How do I go about getting my 25 agility back?

Any active spell effects and diseases are listed towards the top of the spells window in your inventory. If you see any red icons there (or in the lower right corner outside of the inventory screen) then you have a disease. The most likely scenario, though, is that someone cast a damage agility spell on you, which won't go away like normal spells will. You'll need to go to a temple shrine or Imperial Cult altar, pay 35 gold, and get an Almsivi Restoration/Restore Attributes spell in order to restore it.

Edit: If you were poisoned, you would definitely know, as your health would be constantly dropping and your screen would flash red.

Edit 2: Restore Agility potions and spells will also solve the problem. I don't know who sells them, though.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2011

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Hover over the colored squares from the menu, I think it's on the spells box (for some reason). Look for a red box. Note that these are for effects, not individual diseases/spells, so one spell/disease can make multiple boxes or share ones that already exist from a different spell/disease. They'll still tell you where they come from.

It's very unlikely to be poison, I think that only comes from big green spells. And it could be a Damage Attribute spell, but only if you angered a wizard somewhere. It's probably a common disease, distinct from blight, both of which happen randomly from wild animals (BTB made it so you can't tell when animals are sick, which is more "pain in the rear end" than "challenge").

To get rid of it, go to a temple (a shrine inside), an imperial cult altar, use a spell, or use a potion -- you're looking for the Cure Common Disease effect. Unless it was that Damage Attribute spell, in which case Restore Attribute is what you want; it'll also "fix" disease penalties (temporarily?), but you won't be cured and will have a speech disposition penalty until you are. Most major towns have one of the first two, and most potion merchants have the last one. The agility is not gone forever, but BTB made diseases more common and more dangerous, so expect it to happen a lot!

I really don't recommend BTB mods for new players. Or anyone who isn't a masochist. His edits to existing things are good, though.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 11, 2011

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Positronic Spleen posted:

This sounds like it should work: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7773

Yeah, I saw that one before but I'm not looking to replace all the animations.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Wasn't there a goon-made Telvanni mod called something like Building Up Uvirith's Grave? I think it was made by Stuporstar, but I can't find it anywhere.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

The Grammar Aryan posted:

Wasn't there a goon-made Telvanni mod called something like Building Up Uvirith's Grave? I think it was made by Stuporstar, but I can't find it anywhere.
I don't know about that mod, but according to the Uvirith's Legacy page (linked at the top of this page), it is not compatible with Uvirith's Legacy.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Since the first thread I pitched this to was lame and didn't give me anything, I've decided to post this here instead.

Over the past few months (on and off), I've been working on a museum house mod. I've now completed almost all of the work on it and am looking for some brave volunteers to download it, test it, and give feedback on it.

You can download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QN07S9NI

The museum house features several rooms, storage, and display pieces solely for showing off how awesome you are (and providing a space for everything creeper can't buy). All of the display pieces (the pedestals, racks, and shelves) can be switched amongst several different sizes depending on what you want to put on it. Here are some screenshots:

Please let me know if you get any framerate problems. There's a lot of scripts running at once and I sometimes got some choppiness when I was testing it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Since the first thread I pitched this to was lame and didn't give me anything,

Sorry, man. I refuse to start modding Morrowind out of principle. The principle that if I start I'll never stop and I'll spend months twiddling with the appropriate hairstyle mods and whatnot.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 15, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

ulmont posted:

...if I start I'll never start and I'll spend months twiddling with the appropriate hairstyle mods and whatnot.

And then there's the house mods!

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Man, BTB's changes are like mostly okay, but then there are things like the changes to skill progression and magic items not recharging that make me not want to install it. Plus the line, ". . .it really doesn't change the fact that the only thing more painful than a sneak attack from a Daedric battleaxe under the game's original rules was my marriage."

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I think he has an alternate plugin that restores skill progression, but I honestly did not know that he disabled enchantment recharging even after I read the readmes several times when making my own less insane version of his mods. I know he "disabled" (read: made impossible) manual enchanting for some reason. It's like Deus Ex and Shifter, you can't get the fixes without all the other crap. Actually, a lot of his decisions seem to stem from the idea that Morrowind can be "fixed" and made balanced for experienced power-gamers, but from what I've seen too much broken crap is part of the engine's hard-code for that to be realistic.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Some of the design philosophy I am totally behind, like the idea that a lot of armor costs a silly amount of money and that it's way too easy to just find something that can make you fabulously wealthy right off the bat. The Alchemy rebalance seems mostly all right. But then he disables constant effect enchanting and player enchanting and misc skill increases. He has a very singular idea of how the game is meant to be played, and that's totally cool, but it's not very accommodating if you don't agree with him, and it's not quite modular enough to lose the bad (although I might try it with just the alchemy and equipment parts).

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Speaking of tweaking things, I'm considering installing a leveling mod- for Morrowind, is it still Galsiah's Character Development that's pretty much the best?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

The Grammar Aryan posted:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5730

I came to the thread to ask opinions on this, myself. I think the idea of turning your Telvanni tower to a town like the others is pretty awesome, but I'm always really wary about adding anything this major to the game.

Anyone ever try it and know how it works with MGE's distant land? I think it predates MGE so I got no idea if it's compatible with MGE's distant land prop thing.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

Anyone ever try it and know how it works with MGE's distant land? I think it predates MGE so I got no idea if it's compatible with MGE's distant land prop thing.

If I'm understanding how Distant Lands works, it doesn't need to be compatible, so long as you've got everything set up so it'll appear properly in-game. Then it just takes the meshes, builds the statics, and then bam, it's in there. Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I've also had a fairly persistent crash issue that's starting to show up as I get further into the game. I think it's because I've got the ability to teleport all over the place- it seems like the more cells I move through and load, the more likely it is that the game will CTD on a cell transition, like going outdoors, or moving to another outdoor cell where it has to load the area. Any idea what's going on with that? I've got a passable save-frequently scheme going, but I'd rather just be able to play the game.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've just noticed that when it rains, the rain doesn't actually make any sound. The only sound related mod I have installed is Atmospheric Sound Effects. I've tried changing the sound mode but that didn't do anything. So does anybody know of a mod that replaces the sound of rain?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've just noticed that when it rains, the rain doesn't actually make any sound. The only sound related mod I have installed is Atmospheric Sound Effects. I've tried changing the sound mode but that didn't do anything. So does anybody know of a mod that replaces the sound of rain?
I think you should still be able to hear rain. The sounds for rain should be in the "Data Files\Sound\Fx\envrn" folder as rain.wav, rainHVY.wav, and several thndr_***.wav files. See if they exist, or even play them to check if they actually make sound. If they do, but aren't in the game, something broke and it ain't ASE. Maybe the files went to the wrong place?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Is there a keyring mod that doesn't require MWSE?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Positronic Spleen posted:

I think you should still be able to hear rain. The sounds for rain should be in the "Data Files\Sound\Fx\envrn" folder as rain.wav, rainHVY.wav, and several thndr_***.wav files. See if they exist, or even play them to check if they actually make sound. If they do, but aren't in the game, something broke and it ain't ASE. Maybe the files went to the wrong place?

I checked the files you mentioned and they're all where they're supposed to be. I suppose maybe the game glitched out this one time, but I don't have a way of checking without waiting repeatedly and hoping for it to rain again. Is there a console code to change the weather? The only one I found doesn't work as it seems to be related to scripting rather than something you just throw into the console.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Does Morrowind Enhanced work anymore?

I really used to like the Journal Enhanced which lets you keep your own notes in it, but with MWSE being bundled with MGE now I'm not sure it works anymore? I have the base and Journal .esps active but it hasn't seem to have done anything, the quill and inkwells don't even have the scripts attached to them.

I think MWE predates the very first version of MWSE so it feels just really out of date, but no journal mod's been released that uses MWSE so I guess I'm sorta stuck just trying to make this work. Are there any alternatives?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think the general consensus is that Morrowind Enhanced is terribly outdated and dangerous to your game. I don't know of any alternatives for the other stuff though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Any good head replacers out there for the beast races? Argonians, specifically? :eng101:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

quote:

I think the general consensus is that Morrowind Enhanced is terribly outdated and dangerous to your game. I don't know of any alternatives for the other stuff though.

I saw people talking bad about Combat Enhanced, and I know it's old, but dangerous how? A few years ago I ran characters with the journal mod and other than it occasionally crashing after writing a journal entry, I never had any problems.

Also moving MWE and MWEJournal down the load order made it run, for the record.

gravyflood posted:

Any good head replacers out there for the beast races? Argonians, specifically? :eng101:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=2578

This adds a bunch of new heads to use outside of the three/six that come stock with Better Heads. I don't think there's much outside of this.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I can't find the post but I think it was mentioned that it causes save game bloat.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I'm having a strange problem with my fresh Morrowind install: It won't run in fullscreen. I basically followed the "install manually" instructions from the OP. I don't have MGE or even MWSE because my system can't handle those. I exclusively use mods that add content and texture packs (from the OP), TESTool, mlox, codepatch and the exe-optimizer.

My desktop resolution is 1280x1024. I want to run Morrowind in 1024x768 and it runs in a window even with fullscreen activated in the options.

I use a Geforce7300 GS, DirectX 9.0c on Windows7 32bit. I don't even know where to look for a solution, Google doesn't help either, it just gives me some people having problems with widescreen monitors (which I don't have) and their solution doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Just thought I would check: I downloaded the MGSO Overhaul and the three patches. Should I extract everything first, overwriting everyting, or should I do it one at a time (extract main file, install, extract patch 1.1 then install, extract patch 1.2 then install etc)?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Disco De Soto posted:

Just thought I would check: I downloaded the MGSO Overhaul and the three patches. Should I extract everything first, overwriting everyting, or should I do it one at a time (extract main file, install, extract patch 1.1 then install, extract patch 1.2 then install etc)?

You install them one after the other (starting with 1.0 and going up). I believe either the instructions say this, or the description on one of the download sites.

sicDaniel posted:

I'm having a strange problem with my fresh Morrowind install: It won't run in fullscreen. I basically followed the "install manually" instructions from the OP. I don't have MGE or even MWSE because my system can't handle those. I exclusively use mods that add content and texture packs (from the OP), TESTool, mlox, codepatch and the exe-optimizer.

My desktop resolution is 1280x1024. I want to run Morrowind in 1024x768 and it runs in a window even with fullscreen activated in the options.

I use a Geforce7300 GS, DirectX 9.0c on Windows7 32bit. I don't even know where to look for a solution, Google doesn't help either, it just gives me some people having problems with widescreen monitors (which I don't have) and their solution doesn't work for me. Any ideas?

I can't speak for the entire thread (Cream of Plenty might know exactly what to do), but you may be on your own for this one if you're running it in Windows 7 without MGE. I would recommend you try Morrowind FPS Optimizer and set your resolution in there.

Fake edit: Oh by the way, while I was looking up sicDaniel's problem, I found this:

ViperArrow on the Bethesda Forums posted:

How to generally increase Morrowind's performance

If you are having problems with frame rates when running Morrowind try doing this, Right click your Morrowind shortcut> Click the compatibility tab> And tick the boxes that say disable desktop compositon, disable visual themes and disable display scaling on high DPI settings> Click apply and enjoy increased performance!

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Thanks, Musical_Daredevil. FPS Optimizer didn't make a difference and neither did ViperArrow's advice, but I tried disabling Win7's visual themes manually before starting Morrowind and that works, for some weird reason.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

sicDaniel posted:

Thanks, Musical_Daredevil. FPS Optimizer didn't make a difference and neither did ViperArrow's advice, but I tried disabling Win7's visual themes manually before starting Morrowind and that works, for some weird reason.

Well that's interesting. Good to know.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

sicDaniel posted:

sicDaniel posted:

Yeah, disabling Windows 7 visual themes and / or running the executable in Windows XP SP2 compatibility modes seems to do the trick for some users. Glad you fixed your problem though.

Out of curiosity, why can't your system handle MWSE / MGE? MGE is a pretty flexible program that can be run without all of the graphics-intensive features like shaders and distant land. I would have figured you could have installed those, set your custom resolution, and left everything else alone.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
It's a single core CPU with 1 GB Ram and an ancient graphics card. I was actually thinking about asking if MGE would offer me any benefits even if I can't use stuff like distant lands. I didn't bother with it this time because last time I installed Morrowind with the Overhaul and MGE including a minimalistic distant lands setup, the game went straight to 2-4 FPS average. Disabling the different features did not help, if I remember correctly, so I went for a fresh install without MGE and now it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Wow this does look pretty amazing with everything installed. The atmosphere of the original game is even better now. Only problem is I get 10-15 FPS. Pretty funny, since I can run Fallout New Vegas at max settings with lots of mods. Guess I need to turn down some settings.

But yeah the depth of field takes a bit of getting used to.