Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

This may look like nothing special... but it's actually a screenshot of OpenMW running on Android!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

ReWinter posted:

I forget the exact ratio but GCD just throws you a point of luck every x increases in other attributes.

Yeah, this is how it works. I don't know the exact ratio either.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SwissCM posted:

This may look like nothing special... but it's actually a screenshot of OpenMW running on Android!

Haha what

I believe you, but seriously what

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There goes my battery forever!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

I can't wait for the day I can play Morrowind on my Fire TV.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

SwissCM posted:

I want this to be a thing so bad. I believe this is probably real but I would've loved to have seen some soft keys or a status bar or something. Would be excellent for tipping le Android blogs :D

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

I want this to be a thing so bad. I believe this is probably real but I would've loved to have seen some soft keys or a status bar or something. Would be excellent for tipping le Android blogs :D

It's in early stages at the moment. Interior cells run at 8fps and exterior cells barely render at all. OpenMW itself isn't quite working right yet either. It's almost feature complete but it's filled with bugs. Optimisation needs to be done too, it runs bad on my i5 4670k with a R9 280X. 14fps outside. All in due time though, they're making very quick progress.

Here's the forum link if you want it:
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?p=25795#p25795

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

SwissCM posted:

It's in early stages at the moment. Interior cells run at 8fps and exterior cells barely render at all. OpenMW itself isn't quite working right yet either. It's almost feature complete but it's filled with bugs. Optimisation needs to be done too, it runs bad on my i5 4670k with a R9 280X. 14fps outside. All in due time though, they're making very quick progress.

Here's the forum link if you want it:
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?p=25795#p25795

You rock sir (or madam, whatever you are). This is definitely very exciting.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

SwissCM posted:

who the hell pronounces jiub as джиуб
although in skyrim he pronounces his own name like 'jib' which is even more hosed up

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

You rock sir (or madam, whatever you are). This is definitely very exciting.

I'm not responsible for it, just following the project closely.

Anyway I just took this screenshot of the Windows version, running with some of the new features OpenMW has

Take note of the realtime shadow system (which moves in time with the sun). The quality is actually far superior to Skyrim's shadows, being razor sharp up close. Also note the far view distance, which isn't even maxed out, though currently models aren't rendered beyond a certain point since it requires LOD/lower quality models to be created. It's an unofficial feature for the moment and requires editing the config file.

This is an entirely unmodded install, nothing but Morrowind GOTY datafiles.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SwissCM posted:

I'm not responsible for it, just following the project closely.

Anyway I just took this screenshot of the Windows version, running with some of the new features OpenMW has

Take note of the realtime shadow system (which moves in time with the sun). The quality is actually far superior to Skyrim's shadows, being razor sharp up close. Also note the far view distance, which isn't even maxed out, though currently models aren't rendered beyond a certain point since it requires LOD/lower quality models to be created. It's an unofficial feature for the moment and requires editing the config file.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra,_penumbra_and_antumbra

Shadows aren't razor sharp in real life, which is why Skyrims look blurry :ssh:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I think what he meant is that Skyrim's shadows have jagged edges. Blurry, yes, but still look blocky.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SwissCM posted:

This is the part that has me most excited about openMW. My 'rig' is a win7 laptop with a circa 2010\2011 i5 and integrated graphics. I have managed to get impressive results out of it, but it is what it is. I look so very forward to being able to use slightly higher fidelity mods and have the game actually take advantage of a modern ssd when loading.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra,_penumbra_and_antumbra

Shadows aren't razor sharp in real life, which is why Skyrims look blurry :ssh:

They look blurry because the shadow map resolution is low. OpenMW could employ more advanced shadow shaders in the future to support more accurate shadows, but as they are now they're still technically superior to Skyrim's.

EDIT: The distance that Skyrim actually renders shadows is really poor too. Compare that to the screenshot where even the rock up on the mountain in the distance casts a reasonably sharp shadow.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 30, 2014

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

I only play videogames that have the most advanced shadowtech.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Pumprag posted:

I only play videogames that have the most advanced shadowtech.

Yep :colbert:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Ok, another dumb question. I'm trying to remove the plasticy enchantment textures, putting the replacement textures in the Texture directory, but it seems it gets completely ignored. Is Wrye Mash overriding it? How do I go about it?

Alternatively, if there's an .esp version of a NoGlow plugin somewhere, that would work as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, another dumb question. I'm trying to remove the plasticy enchantment textures, putting the replacement textures in the Texture directory, but it seems it gets completely ignored. Is Wrye Mash overriding it? How do I go about it?

Alternatively, if there's an .esp version of a NoGlow plugin somewhere, that would work as well.

Nope that's basically all you're supposed to do. Mash shouldn't be overwriting it because it isn't a game record. There is an esp noglow, check on flig's site

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I have been playing this for the first time with MGSO and it's been a blast. However i just found out the official add-ons are a thing but i don't want to reinstall the whole thing again. Can i just drop them on top of the modded installation?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't think Morrowind generally has a big issue with adding mods mid-game, so long as the mods are compatible. I assume most mods are, these being the official mods, but if you run into issues just repair your game with Wrye Mash.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

I have been playing this for the first time with MGSO and it's been a blast. However i just found out the official add-ons are a thing but i don't want to reinstall the whole thing again. Can i just drop them on top of the modded installation?

the official addons are poo poo, except maybe the master propylon index, but seriously who ever used that

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Siege at Fort Firemoth isn't bad. One of them is a literally boobplate mod.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I was thinking about Fort Firemoth and Propylon Index, yeah. Maybe the area of effect arrows, which sounds broken as poo poo but also fun.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I installed OpenMW, and it sort of works. Even if I turned off the graphics enhancements, I only got 20-25 fps outdoors, and nps stand around with their mouth open when they talk to you. Also water flashed in and out of existence when I turned off the enhancement.

Still, pretty drat impressive. If they can just get the optimization to get decent fps counts it will be fantastic.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mortimer posted:

the official addons are poo poo, except maybe the master propylon index, but seriously who ever used that

I like the Bitter Coast sounds.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones
So I'm using MGSO and Tamriel Rebuilt and that's pretty much it. But I'm getting a lot of errors.

On Vvardenfell, there is a specific type of table (which is commonly seen in the Redoran towns like Ald-ruhn) that won't show up and just gives me a big exclamation point.
On the mainland (i.e. that places added by Tamriel Rebuilt) there are tons of exclamation points on the walls, where people's armor should be, where wells should be, etc.

Does anyone know where to look for fixing an issue like this, without voiding my save files? That happened once when I did this before, and I'd like that to not happen again.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
Did you register the BSAs in the ini file?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

HoboNews posted:

So I'm using MGSO and Tamriel Rebuilt and that's pretty much it. But I'm getting a lot of errors.

On Vvardenfell, there is a specific type of table (which is commonly seen in the Redoran towns like Ald-ruhn) that won't show up and just gives me a big exclamation point.
On the mainland (i.e. that places added by Tamriel Rebuilt) there are tons of exclamation points on the walls, where people's armor should be, where wells should be, etc.

Does anyone know where to look for fixing an issue like this, without voiding my save files? That happened once when I did this before, and I'd like that to not happen again.

I have that table issue come up every once in a while, if you go into the data files and find the table that the error dialog specifies, then delete that file it works fine. Something about that file being corrupted or something.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

There's the MGSO 3.1 patch that was never patched into it, try registering your bsas and then download that.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Moryrie posted:

Did you register the BSAs in the ini file?

Probably not, though I'm starting to suspect my issue is with load order. And registering the BSA for Tamriel Rebuilt.

e: Well that was easy. Thanks for suggestions guys!

HoboNews fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 31, 2014

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

My system hates Morrowind for some reason.

Couldn't get MGSO to work right, slideshow levels fps with enhanced graphics, and really choppy and slow turned all the way down. Tried just vanilla + Morrowind Graphics Extender. Welp, that's what caused the slowdown for the MGSO install.

Vanilla Morrowind with a registry hack to set widescreen resolution? 19-25 fps outside.

I can run vanilla Skyrim no problems and at decent fps on this system. Guess I have to wait with playing Morrowind until OpenMW gets optimized or I get a new computer :sigh:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Couldn't get MGSO to work right, slideshow levels fps with enhanced graphics, and really choppy and slow turned all the way down. Tried just vanilla + Morrowind Graphics Extender. Welp, that's what caused the slowdown for the MGSO install.

Vanilla Morrowind with a registry hack to set widescreen resolution? 19-25 fps outside.

I can run vanilla Skyrim no problems and at decent fps on this system. Guess I have to wait with playing Morrowind until OpenMW gets optimized or I get a new computer :sigh:

Have you tried vanilla morrowind without a "registry hack"?

Your system doesn't hate morrowind, it hates MGE

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
Also, try morrowind graphics optimizer in the OP. It lets you fine tune LOD, and may solve your problem. It runs along side mw and adjusts stuff on the fly, kinda like a trainer.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 4, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

axolotl farmer posted:

Customize the install and kill the shaders. Thats what causes the outdoors fps drop.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Found it:

Launch MGSO Options.exe (you can find it in Morrowind folder).
Click on "Change MGE Settings".
Go into the "Shaders" section and uncheck the Depth of Field (DoF) shader from the list loving everything.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I want to replay Morrowind but I'm on Linux currently and the game doesn't want to behave with Wine, so I've been trying openMW and I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work. So far I can get the launcher open and then... everything crashes when I click play :shrug:

I may mess with it again later, or I may cave and just boot up Windows.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Mooktastical posted:

Also, try morrowind graphics optimizer in the OP. It lets you fine tune LOD, and may solve your problem. It runs along side mw and adjusts stuff on the fly, kinda like a trainer.

MW fps optimizer and the exe bug patcher made it playable. Still doesn't run great, mostly runs at 30 fps outdoors, but dips to 20-25 when there are a lot of NPCs around.

OpenMW posted a video of their progress. Great stuff, can't wait for them to get around to speed optimizations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aST2MJd2Tis

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

axolotl farmer posted:

MW fps optimizer and the exe bug patcher made it playable. Still doesn't run great, mostly runs at 30 fps outdoors, but dips to 20-25 when there are a lot of NPCs around.

Kill the shaders.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Not running any shaders. Vanilla with Morrowind Code Patch at 1024x768.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Not running any shaders. Vanilla with Morrowind Code Patch at 1024x768.

you're running on a toaster or some kind of gameboy if your natural resolution is that low

if it's a tablet my answer is "don't"