Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hog Butcher posted:

Unless you have the Morrowind Code Patch, they're not up to scratch in any situation ever. Even then, I don't know what's going on with it.

OpenMW has a novel worth of text over what the real pickpocket formula is

Apparently the vanilla formula is insane so it'll probably be insane at openmw launch, then quickly fixed into something usable.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Speaking of OpenMW, it looks like they're really close to a proper release. They seem to have all basic stuff working and are just doing bugfixes and optimizations. Really looking forward to this one.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mortimer posted:

OpenMW has a novel worth of text over what the real pickpocket formula is

Apparently the vanilla formula is insane so it'll probably be insane at openmw launch, then quickly fixed into something usable.

:69snypa:

jesus

seeing things in inventory:
code:
for each item stack:
    roll 100, stack is visible if roll <= pcSneak
actual chance
code:
fatigueTerm = fFatigueBase - fFatigueMult*(1 - normalisedFatigue)
#where normalisedFatigue is a function of fatigue. empty fatigue bar -> 0.0, full fatigue bar -> 1.0
#note fatigueTerm is normally 1.25 at full fatigue.

#checks the whole stack no matter how many you try to take
#note: filled soulgems have the value of an empty soulgem due to a missing calculation
stackValue = itemValue * itemsInStack
valueTerm = 10 * fPickPocketMod * stackValue

x = (0.2 * pcAgility + 0.1 * pcLuck + pcSneak) * fatigueTerm
y = (valueTerm + npcSneak + 0.2 * npcAgilityTerm + 0.1 * npcLuckTerm) * npcFatigueTerm
t = x - y + x  # yes, that is what it does

if t < pcSneak / iPickMinChance:
    roll 100, win if roll <= int(pcSneak / iPickMinChance)
else:
    t = min(iPickMaxChance, t)
    roll 100, win if roll <= int(t)

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'd actually recommend against Service Requirements. I think I'll be removing it in further builds.

Starfire's NPCs is also pretty performance-heavy, so be careful with that one.

Ok. To remove a mod in Wrye Mash, you just go into the Mod tab and uncheck the appropriate box, correct? Maybe create a new merged list?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Canemacar posted:

Ok. To remove a mod in Wrye Mash, you just go into the Mod tab and uncheck the appropriate box, correct? Maybe create a new merged list?

Yeah, that sounds right to me, though I don't have it installed right now and can't verify.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

axolotl farmer posted:

Speaking of OpenMW, it looks like they're really close to a proper release. They seem to have all basic stuff working and are just doing bugfixes and optimizations. Really looking forward to this one.

Well poo poo, if they're done before I update, I might have to make Uvirith's Legacy 4 twice over.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

Well poo poo, if they're done before I update, I might have to make Uvirith's Legacy 4 twice over.

It should be compatible with all current mods, what would you add that you can't currently do?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Mortimer posted:

It should be compatible with all current mods, what would you add that you can't currently do?

If it includes things like string variables and write-to-file capabilities like MWSE, I'd probably re-do a lot of the scripting and merge the MWSE functionality into the main mod for the OpenMW version. I often had to compromise or come up with completely round-the-bend bodgy solutions to do what I wanted in the base script compiler. I wouldn't so much add things, but I'd make things work smoother wherever I could.

Then there's the Tea Mod, which scripts might not even work on a non-buggy game engine. I'd have to rewrite them all so they make logical sense rather than the pure voodoo they currently are.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 10, 2014

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
If I understand correctly, OpenMW 1.0 is planned to be current Morrowind minus obvious bugs but without compatibility with third-party binary modifications, so anything relying on MWSE won't work even though it won't have built-in functionality to replace MWSE.

Here's the OpenMW MWSE page

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I know they talk about how much their development has sped up since it started, and it might just be me but OpenMW seems like one of the fastest developing open-source projects I've ever seen at the moment.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

GrumpyDoctor posted:

If I understand correctly, OpenMW 1.0 is planned to be current Morrowind minus obvious bugs but without compatibility with third-party binary modifications, so anything relying on MWSE won't work even though it won't have built-in functionality to replace MWSE.

Here's the OpenMW MWSE page

Good thing I kept the MWSE stuff in a separate add-on then. I really hope they add MWSE functions to OpenMW soon after the initial release (with Yacoby on their team, there is hope for that), because drat are they useful. I mean hell, allowing string variables opens up huge scripting possibilities alone.

Basically, OpenMW will eventually allow me to improve everything in my mods under the hood, even though everything on the surface may remain the same.

Also, there's a couple mods I've wanted to make for years that are currently impossible to implement, even with MWSE.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 11, 2014

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Quick troubleshooting question. I'm getting a couple of errors on launch. I'm not sure if they're serious, or able to disregard. They seem to concern the 6 Abodes mod in the op, a smokable pipe mod, and an Indoril Armor mod. It's the same error for all.

"One of the files that "Your Gnisis Residence.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save. This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors."

In the launcher, under Data Files I get the following message for the Abodes+ Armor:

"Morrowind.esm is required for this file to be loaded, and it has changed since this file was last saved. You might experience problems with the game."

And one specifying Tribunal.esm. Only thing I can think of that may have changed the esm files is the BTB edited Patch Project.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
It's been a while since I've been actively working on it, but I started improving Morrowind: Gold Edition again. For those who didn't see my previous posts a few months ago, M:GE is basically a modern mod-pack and bugfix-pack - I've been developing it with the intent of it being THE one mod to have installed while playing a new playthrough of Morrowind in 2014, for old or new players alike. There is lots of content which was cut from the final product that I have managed to restore to the game.

I've been fixing up little bugs here and there and I may put out a stable release soon for those of you who want to test it. Keep in mind there is still a lot of work to be done and there is not a whole lot of new content to sink your teeth into yet - it is still a very early version. However, here are the latest patch notes for those of you who are interested.

code:
Morrowind: Gold Edition

! New Feature: Ported the game world of TESV: Skyrim! For more information, seek out the Dragonborn in Suran.
! New Feature: The Bloodmoon is rising, and the Wild wolf of seyda neen has taken up residence in Seyda Neen.

GENERAL:
-An exploration music track which was cut from the final version has been restored to the game
-Revamped the character creation process to be a little more exciting
-Many tapestry textures cut from the final game have been restored
-A Bosmer task force was sent from Valenwood to investigate the disappearance of Tarhiel in the Bitter Coast

==Seyda Neen==
-A boat fast travel option has been added to Seyda Neen. Pazzer can take you to Hla Oad, if you wish to go.
-The Mages Guild has also opened up shop in Seyda Neen. Look for their representative behind Arrille's Tradehouse.
-Relocated Tel Fyr to a more convenient spot outside of Seyda Neen
-Dagoth Ur has moved into a new home in Seyda Neen
-Slightly buffed the starting Iron Dagger in the Census and Excise office
-Yagrum Bagarn has a special gift for the player in Sellus Gravius' office
-Fargoth put his hands on something that didn't belong to him
-The patrons of Arrille's Tradehouse should now be using their proper reagents
-Rithleen's house in Balmora has been restructured to accomodate her spell library

==Hla Oad==
-Hla Oad's rat population has increased

==Suran==
-The Dragonborn has arrived in Suran and can take the player to the Nord province of Skyrim.
-Desele's House of Earthly Delights has some new employees
-Tarhiel set up shop as a street merchant in Suran

==Balmora==
-An additional silt strider port has been added to Balmora to accomodate the hustle and bustle of the Third Era
-Irgola the Pawnbroker has moved his shop from Caldera to Balmora
-The Balmora Council Club has a few more patrons outside to liven up the atmosphere.
-Caius Cosades has been evicted by the Balmora landlords after trying to pay for rent in Skooma

==Caldera==
-An additional silt strider port has been added to Caldera to accomodate the hustle and bustle of the Third Era

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

bonzibuddy64 posted:

It's been a while since I've been actively working on it, but I started improving Morrowind: Gold Edition again. For those who didn't see my previous posts a few months ago, M:GE is basically a modern mod-pack and bugfix-pack - I've been developing it with the intent of it being THE one mod to have installed while playing a new playthrough of Morrowind in 2014, for old or new players alike. There is lots of content which was cut from the final product that I have managed to restore to the game.

I've been fixing up little bugs here and there and I may put out a stable release soon for those of you who want to test it. Keep in mind there is still a lot of work to be done and there is not a whole lot of new content to sink your teeth into yet - it is still a very early version. However, here are the latest patch notes for those of you who are interested.

code:
Morrowind: Gold Edition

! New Feature: Ported the game world of TESV: Skyrim! For more information, seek out the Dragonborn in Suran.
! New Feature: The Bloodmoon is rising, and the Wild wolf of seyda neen has taken up residence in Seyda Neen.

GENERAL:
-An exploration music track which was cut from the final version has been restored to the game
-Revamped the character creation process to be a little more exciting
-Many tapestry textures cut from the final game have been restored
-A Bosmer task force was sent from Valenwood to investigate the disappearance of Tarhiel in the Bitter Coast

==Seyda Neen==
-A boat fast travel option has been added to Seyda Neen. Pazzer can take you to Hla Oad, if you wish to go.
-The Mages Guild has also opened up shop in Seyda Neen. Look for their representative behind Arrille's Tradehouse.
-Relocated Tel Fyr to a more convenient spot outside of Seyda Neen
-Dagoth Ur has moved into a new home in Seyda Neen
-Slightly buffed the starting Iron Dagger in the Census and Excise office
-Yagrum Bagarn has a special gift for the player in Sellus Gravius' office
-Fargoth put his hands on something that didn't belong to him
-The patrons of Arrille's Tradehouse should now be using their proper reagents
-Rithleen's house in Balmora has been restructured to accomodate her spell library

==Hla Oad==
-Hla Oad's rat population has increased

==Suran==
-The Dragonborn has arrived in Suran and can take the player to the Nord province of Skyrim.
-Desele's House of Earthly Delights has some new employees
-Tarhiel set up shop as a street merchant in Suran

==Balmora==
-An additional silt strider port has been added to Balmora to accomodate the hustle and bustle of the Third Era
-Irgola the Pawnbroker has moved his shop from Caldera to Balmora
-The Balmora Council Club has a few more patrons outside to liven up the atmosphere.
-Caius Cosades has been evicted by the Balmora landlords after trying to pay for rent in Skooma

==Caldera==
-An additional silt strider port has been added to Caldera to accomodate the hustle and bustle of the Third Era

I will test the poo poo out of this. PM me.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Awwwwwww yeee, guess who has a decent computer now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oggumogoggum posted:

Awwwwwww yeee, guess who has a decent computer now.

Ooo! Ooo! I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me dammit! Ooo! Ooo!

the nameless one
Jun 4, 2011
Could anyone please help me with Melian's Teleportation Mod? I have the problem where the "Teleportation magic doesn't work here" message pops up when I (successfully) teleport. I had this exact same problem couple months ago and got rid of it by redating the mod in Wrye Mash. Everything worked perfect for months, until it happened again today. Unfortunately the redating trick doesn't work anymore. I made a new character couple of days ago, but haven't really changed anything else. Only suggestion left is this from the readme:

"If this mod is modified, merged or just resaved in a high-level editor (such as the Construction Set, or MWEdit), the teleport-disabled message will reappear. To fix this, you need to make sure the string value is present and set to something (can be anything, just a single character is fine, this is just to stop the subrecord disappearing altogether). Once you're finished editing, load up the mod in Enchanted Editor and remove the GMST string: find the bit that says "Teleportation magic does not work here" or whatever you set it to, then click the button labelled "edit using multi-line editor" and delete all the text. If the multi-line editor doesn't work (sometimes it doesn't), you'll have to use the "Analyse/Edit Raw Subrecord Data" button and set all values to 0. Resave from EE and it should be ready to use."

I installed Enchanted Editor, but I have absolutely no clue how it works or what that instruction above means. I found the manual for the Editor, but I don't understand it either. If someone has done this before, could they explain like to the idiot that I am how this should be done? The message box is really annoying, but this is the only companion teleport mod I've got to work.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Tamriel Rebuilt announced more changes today.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Necroskowitz posted:

The previous change in direction I am wary of. This one is something they probably should have done long long ago.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Necroskowitz posted:

Oh wow finally. Now you'll get almalexia exteriors that have been done for like 2 years

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Bought this on Steam and it's crashing before I can get out to the main city.

Hardware = Windows 8.1, Intel Atom Z3745 quad-core 1.33 GHz processor, onboard graphics, 2 GB of RAM

Only mod I added was DB_Attack_Mod and I don't think it's an overheating thing since my tablet is barely getting warm.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It starts up fine but then crashes or doesn't start?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

my tablet is barely getting warm.

found the problem

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Mortimer posted:

found the problem

yeah.
And gonna mention the obvious "game probably doesn't detect a keyboard" reason for morrowind crashing to tablet-top.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

It starts up fine but then crashes or doesn't start?

Starts up fine.

Furthest I've made it before it crashes is to the area where you get a dagger, shortest is before I could get off the boat. Same type of crash every time.

It plays fine before it randomly decides to crash.

tuluk posted:

yeah.
And gonna mention the obvious "game probably doesn't detect a keyboard" reason for morrowind crashing to tablet-top.

It's more like a netbook with a detachable magnetic keyboard (Acer Aspire Switch 10). I was also using a bluetooth mouse.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mortimer posted:

found the problem

Call Me Charlie, the Atom processor wasn't really designed for Video Games in mind, and I'd be surprised if it even met the Morrowind minimum specs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Gyshall posted:

Call Me Charlie, the Atom processor wasn't really designed for Video Games in mind, and I'd be surprised if it even met the Morrowind minimum specs.

This is the new generation of Atom. They aren't nearly as garbage as they use to be. There's video of people playing way more complicated games than Morrowind with them.

quote:

Performance

Thanks to 4 CPU cores and the improved performance per clock, the Z3745 is significantly faster than previous Intel Atoms, e.g. the Z2760. Depending on the benchmark, the Z3745 competes with Temash and Kabini APUs like the AMD A6-1450 and A4-5000. For everyday tasks such as Internet or Office the performance is adequate, but not for very complex software or modern games.

Graphics

The HD Graphics (Bay Trail) is based on the Intel Gen7 architecture, which supports DirectX 11 and is also found in the Ivy Bridge series (e.g. HD Graphics 4000). With only 4 EUs (Execution Units) and a relatively low clock speed of up to 778 MHz, the GPU is even slower than the HD Graphics (Ivy Bridge). Therefore, only older and less demanding Windows games like World of Warcraft or Fifa will run fluently. However, video acceleration and display resolutions up to 2560 x 1600 pixels are no problem for the chip.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Did you install the various patches mentioned in the OP?

NOVELTY/DESPERATION OPTION: play the game using openmw. It is surprisingly stable and close to being feature complete, but you will probably (definitely) run into some crazy bugs.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 22, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Could be a memory issue, 2GB doesn't seem like a lot for Windows 8. At the very least I would try it with no mods except the MCP. Then maybe with one of the MGEs at default settings.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Can anyone explain to me how is leveling supposed to work in Chocolate pack? I just started the game, managed to get a few points in some skills, but the level progress is stuck at 0/3200 (?), is it supposed to be like that?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Can anyone explain to me how is leveling supposed to work in Chocolate pack? I just started the game, managed to get a few points in some skills, but the level progress is stuck at 0/3200 (?), is it supposed to be like that?

Yes, that's GCD. It'll autolevel you eventually.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

GCD automates progression by increasing your attributes gradually as the skills associated with them increase. You won't see the progress bar move, but your numerical level will go up on its own once you've gained enough attribute points.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ok, that makes sense. So I take it also eliminates the level up screen when you're resting?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

Ok, that makes sense. So I take it also eliminates the level up screen when you're resting?

Yes, that's gone entirely. Which is very good, because manually allotting points is kind of dumb.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
Chocopack question: is there any possibility of a purely graphical release in the future? I feel any texture packs and the like are something most people aren't picky about, but I know myself (and a friend who is reinstalling) were turned off to it by the gameplay re-balance aspects (i hate GCD to be honest, and that's what reminded me of this).

Does something like this exist? If not, I may consider throwing together a pure graphics modpack.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

smokyprogg posted:

Chocopack question: is there any possibility of a purely graphical release in the future? I feel any texture packs and the like are something most people aren't picky about, but I know myself (and a friend who is reinstalling) were turned off to it by the gameplay re-balance aspects (i hate GCD to be honest, and that's what reminded me of this).

Does something like this exist? If not, I may consider throwing together a pure graphics modpack.

I could definitely do that. Since getting a new PC in May I have been slowly getting back to making changes and improvements to Chocolate Pack. It wouldn't be too hard to create a separate archive with just the graphic mods (and, I guess, one with just the gameplay mods).

However, Chocolate Pack doesn't install anything by itself -- it's just a bunch of mods packaged together. You can download it and just not install the gameplay stuff if you like.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Is there a mod that reduces the volume of PC hit sounds and screams? Like an archive with sound file replacements, so I won't need to replace them individually?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Oggumogoggum posted:

Yes, that's gone entirely. Which is very good, because manually allotting points is kind of dumb.

How do you level up luck?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Buck Turgidson posted:

I have no idea which skills train it, but I definitely saw myself gaining a few points in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Buck Turgidson posted:

I forget the exact ratio but GCD just throws you a point of luck every x increases in other attributes.