Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's a 10 year old engine made beautiful by a bunch of, literal, hacks into said engine. Of course it's not going to be optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AXE COP posted:

Just wanna post and say the only mod you will ever need is the MGE. Unlike Oblivion where I can install a thousand gameplay mods and never quite be satisfied, Morrowind is perfect from the get-go.

e: Oh and something to stop the loving Dark Brotherhood because gently caress those guys.

Eh, I'd go so far to say Passive Healthy Wildlife is also necessary, but beyond that nothing else really comes to mind.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

Can anyone recommend some good Quest/content mods that fit in well with the game, aside from Tamriel Rebuilt/etc? High quality stuff that either fleshes out existing factions or adds new, lore friendly factions?
  • Illuminated Order
  • Sixth House (the good Sixth House/Great House Dagoth mod :colbert:, but seriously the other one is buggy, otherwise it might be as good but probably not)
  • Suran Underworld
  • Wizards Island
  • White Wolf of Lokken Mountain (haven't actually played this yet but I've heard good things and I've visited the landmass it adds and it owns so, good enough for the list)

There are others that I've enjoyed that I didn't keep archived for whatever reason but I don't remember which ones those would be....

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Becoming an Cthulhu-esque nightmare is just about the coolest thing ever. :c00lbert:

This is actually exactly why I don't like that mod. It's buggy as hell and poorly implemented for 90% of the transformations.

Take that :smugbert:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would recommend installing nGCD, even for a first play through.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

Isn't the Morrowind version GCD? Here is the latest version with unofficial bug fixes, etc:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ylyn2fwmofz

I highly recommend it for the first play through as well. It is basically what Morrowind/Oblivion's leveling system should have been.

Yes, sorry.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So this is pretty cool http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1324667-relz-main-quest-enhancers/

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I used to know what caused this and how to fix it but it's been to long since I had to, any ideas? This happens with all the shaders off (and various ones on), just a wall of fog regardless of draw distance.

Nevermind it's the 'above ground fog' setting, no idea why the quick start guide recommends .5 for that setting and then having a distant land setting of 12, defeats the purpose....

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 3, 2012

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
@Grandmasters of Hlaalu it's about on par for quality of the Uviriths Grave ones, but it has some bugs IIRC that are annoying (but don't break anything). Definitely worth it.

Shame Redoran never got anything worth it. There's a couple out there for them but they're sub-par compared to the other faction ones.

Here's a list of most of them http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:Stronghold_Additions

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cannot Find Server posted:

I swore there was also an egg mine or something that went under the Ghostfence, but I might be wrong.

I'm pretty sure you're right. Near ald ruhn?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Fairly certain MCP fixes any issues with quick-save. I've used it for years and years and have never really noticed anything specific to quick-save. This is with like a bazillion mods as well.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Docetic Mountain posted:

So I have some wonderful mods which alter the landscape of Ebonheart and Ald-Ruhn and now all MGSO grass in these areas are like 5 feet off the ground and blinding to walk through. Is there any fix/work around to make the grass conform to the new landscapes?

You can, though I don't remember how. :( think it involves a utility that generates animated grass, and excluding specific cells at some point so mods adding the same area don't compete and have the problem you're having. I've got a modded to hell copy of Morrowind but it's been "complete" for a couple years so I haven't actually done anything complicated in forever.

I too have several expanded mods for Ebonheart and had to make them play nice.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

You can, though I don't remember how. :( think it involves a utility that generates animated grass, and excluding specific cells at some point so mods adding the same area don't compete and have the problem you're having. I've got a modded to hell copy of Morrowind but it's been "complete" for a couple years so I haven't actually done anything complicated in forever.

I too have several expanded mods for Ebonheart and had to make them play nice.

Yea I had this in my downloads archive, you can check it out and the readme and my MNC Ebonheart file to try and figure out how to modify it / get it to work, I sure as gently caress don't remember.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1m9nynwot5adu87/Mesh_Generator.7z

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You've always been able to do the temple quest with water breathing just damage yourself to low health, a CE ring or something is easy.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Honestly the only people that should be using BTB are people like me who have been playing this game for over a decade.

I love everything about Morrowind but after this many years I need some drastic gameplay changes to prevent me from abusing the heck out of the game and getting bored in 5 minutes.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I haven't touched morrowind in a few months, but I feel like you can still train misc. skills? They just don't passively increase.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Me either, I'm going to lean towards Sixth House.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Isn't GHD the one with the lovely transformations into corpus beasts etc. though? I remember it being really buggy and generally not that good.

Also Sixth House has a better Stronghold IIRC, if you're into that sort of thing (it's the biggest selling point to me).

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 4, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Not a fan of that font. I think the original UI is pretty much perfect though so...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sylink posted:

That looks like a huge waste of time compared to the projects that are just re-doing the game in the skyrim engine.

Yea this is a really stupid thing to say.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Could be a memory issue, 2GB doesn't seem like a lot for Windows 8. At the very least I would try it with no mods except the MCP. Then maybe with one of the MGEs at default settings.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SwissCM posted:

I'm not responsible for it, just following the project closely.

Anyway I just took this screenshot of the Windows version, running with some of the new features OpenMW has

Take note of the realtime shadow system (which moves in time with the sun). The quality is actually far superior to Skyrim's shadows, being razor sharp up close. Also note the far view distance, which isn't even maxed out, though currently models aren't rendered beyond a certain point since it requires LOD/lower quality models to be created. It's an unofficial feature for the moment and requires editing the config file.

This is an entirely unmodded install, nothing but Morrowind GOTY datafiles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra,_penumbra_and_antumbra

Shadows aren't razor sharp in real life, which is why Skyrims look blurry :ssh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jesus trying to get OpenMW source code running on Windows is a huge pain in the rear end...

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Click the link and find out :confused:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Death Zebra posted:

I don't really like the Souls games but something like that would be better as it's more fluid and actually allows you dodge enemy attacks.

Go ahead and add that in, we'll wait 😉

I agree with the above poster, the combat is fine and part of what is enjoyable about Morrowind. I mean I'm all for someone improving the game and if they overhaul it and it's good gently caress yea, but I'd rather they focus on improving backwards compatibility first (mwse, mge, etc) then start adding entirely new features in.

I should poke around OpenMW I wonder how much of a mess (or not) the code base is.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Which is exactly why I enjoy Morrowinds combat more than the next Tes games. At least it's unique.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rhjamiz posted:

Are MWSE and MGE even necessary in OpenMW? I thought the point was that OMW made them obsolete by allowing you to script or code all that directly?

MGE and MGEx yes, MWSE and the other shittier script extender would need to be ported somehow to have backwards compatibility with a lot of mods.

Ideally they would implement newer better mechanisms for new mods yes, but you'd still need to update older mods to work with the new features (unreasonable) or provide some sort of emulation of the old functionality to play a large number of mods.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Doc Hawkins posted:

Improving combat is not a goal of the openmw project; enabling mods which make fundamental changes, like replacing combat systems, is.

That is what I said :confused:

I would also argue that's not entirely accurate. That's the goal for 1.0 and probably early updates, but the entire motivation for open sourcing the game in the first place is to eventually make adding sweeping engine and gameplay changes more feasible.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 9, 2017

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To me the skills and faction status have always been the real progression in Morrowind, the gear is just kind of like "how soon can I pay dress up Barby and get what I want".

Re: combat I think that the stamina usage (or lack there of) is the biggest fundamental problem with all the TES games. It's the one thing that the souls games do right and contributes the most to the experience but it's often overlooked.

Stamina is integral to the experience and determines the entire flow of the combat: when you have none you're a sitting duck, the combat is fast paced so it regenerates quickly, and the more powerful the weapon the more stamina you use.

In all the TES games they're largely meaningless bars that regenerate slowly and mostly dictate how fast or slow you travel (ironically stamina in Morrowind plays the biggest factor in combat, more so than in the more action focused 4 and 5).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Medium also looks the best. Indoril for days

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

RBA Starblade posted:

The Elder Scrolls is always going to have the problem of the lore being a million times more interesting than anything they can really do on a console.

Retcons aside, the Imperial City is a real good example. A giant metropolitan melting pot of a dozen cultures? Sounds great! The 360 can only render twenty dudes at a time before the engine explodes? Oh.

This has always and will always be my biggest beef with Bethesda games. Why does everyone have to have some terrible generic story and dialog that I can talk to and not care about.

Go Witcher 3 so cities actually feel like cities.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

RBA Starblade posted:

Witcher 3 hits similar problems for the more populated areas but got around a lot of it by just not letting you into every building. Towns and cities are big.

What?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Even all the random tiny towns in Witcher 3 feel more alive than the biggest cities in any of the Bethesda games (unmodded anyway, Morrowind does a decent job with mods).

It's not even like you can visit every building either, most of the buildings are blocked off in fallout games, and there are plenty of blocked off ones in TES cities.

Who cares if you can go into yet another house when they all look the same and the most valuable thing in there is a silver candelabra.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The icing on the cake is that most dungeons have more bandits than there are people living in the cities.

:lol:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

But that's what a real city is like? Mostly uninteresting houses and businesses. Unless you are playing as a cat burglar in which case you want that candelabra dangit.

You're taking my post to literally, we're saying the same thing.

My comment was because some guy said that's what makes Bethesda games unique, which is both partially true and partially false, for the reasons I stated. Arguing that they're fine as-is because they've gone the lazy least effort way to implement everything, is silly.

Like you said, they could very easily (existing engine limitations not withstanding) just generate most of a much larger city to be samey with some unique hand placed landmarks and it would be waaaay better.

The Witcher proves that it is technically feasible as well as significantly more immersive.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Or reading between the lines, trying to add voice acting to everything lowered the overall quality across the board (except in voice acting... Obviously).

You have less time to create cool stories, it's not as easy to branch them out, you have to have dedicated writers rather than giving creative liberty to guys creating the world and side quests, you can't have as many people in general because they all have to have unique dialog, the list goes on and on.

I just hope they learn from Witcher 3 or hand it off to people who can (Obsidian).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cat Mattress posted:

MWSE exists and there are tons of mods that use it, so if OpenMW wants people who use these mods to make the move from vanilla to OpenMW, they'll have to support MWSE's scripting functions.

Both arguments are accurate.

You can probably just provide an interface for MWSE commands and under the hood handle it in a much more efficient way.

Still not as good as writing an OpenMW native solution but better than Morrowind and backwards compatible.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The last two pages :3:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Lol if you didn't read your video game manuals on the toilet daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
As long as they have a generally predictable location archetypes to get them (e.g. Daedric Dungeons, house vaults, etc) I think it's an excellent idea.