Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a mod that adds Oblivion style map tracking or fast travel to the game? My only real gripe with Morrowind is that it's hard to remember/get back to dungeons you stumble past on your way to do quests. At minimum I want any named entryway I pass to be marked on my map. If there's a way for me to note whether I've explored it or not, that'd be better. Clicking to travel there would be nice but isn't a big deal. I don't want a quest compass or anything, just a way to keep track of places I've found but not gone into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cannot Find Server posted:

There's a mod that lets you mark multiple spots, and when you recall you can choose which spot to recall to.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1397

I think it's the closest thing you're gonna get.

I already have that one. The more important thing to me is being able to easily track which dungeons I've bothered to explore. Otherwise there's nothing stopping me from removing the mark once I've explored it and then accidentally re-exploring it later.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Totally off the topic of modding, but I stumbled into a Dwemer fortress while doing a Thieve's Guild quest that has a tunnel under the ghostfence. I had no idea you could get inside without doing the main quest, but I'm now standing outside Vemynal (where you get Sunder) and I haven't even done Caius' first quest yet.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shibawanko posted:

There's two ways into Red Mountain besides Ghostgate, as I recall. The other one goes through the Chimer fortress in the north Ashlands.

Or you can just levitate over the fence.

Huh, I've dumped more than 1000 hours into this game over the years and never gotten in outside of the main quest before. I now have all of Kagrenac's tools (except wraithguard) and I haven't talked to Caius yet. I'm now in Mournhold because I want to kill Almalexia and make a sweet enchanted Ebony longblade :).

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Extra posted:

Get this mod why are you not playing this mod it is amazing and made by the same guy who did Blackreach Railroad for skyrim.

But uh in all seriousness some person spent way too much time intricately creating a crazy clockwork city with a ton of moving parts and environments and a ton of stuff to explore in an underground steam fortress. 2013 and people are still making insane content for this game.

Installing this posthaste.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cat Mattress posted:

Glitching? There are switches you can use to open the portcullises. No glitching needed.

But you can't do that until the right point in the main quest. We're talking about ways to get in early.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Hell, there's a Temple quest that sends you to the dungeon Dagoth Ur itself. There's nowhere sealed off from you based on quest progress, apart from the very final room of Dagoth Ur, a few locations at the end of the expansions, the Great House strongholds, and probably one or two places I'm overlooking.

All these years and I never knew. I don't think I ever did any temple quests or imperial cult quests. I thought both factions were kinda douchey.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm playing that Sotha Sil Expanded mod, and while it's pretty good, some of the puzzles are pretty dumb or annoying. The very first puzzle is actually broken unless you delete some textures, and even then it doesn't make any sense unless you watch the trailer for the game and realize that Green doesn't actually mean what it means in any other puzzle of that type.

The swimming sewers sequence is also kinda dumb. It's not a challenge, just a bunch of tedious swimming and potion drinking that drags on for too long. I ended up turning on god mode and turning off clipping and just skipping to the end, and I didn't feel like I missed anything.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
The further into that Sotha Sil Expanded mod I get, the less impressed I am. A lot of his "puzzles" are really just wandering around overlarge maps without any guidance and avoiding BS instant death traps. The whole "repair the fabricant maker" thing was just annoying. It's a huge conveyor belt maze with smashy death things and you just have to kinda blindly stumble into poo poo you can interact with and then take more wild guesses at what those things do. The game offers no hints, no journal entries, no notes lying around, or anything else to tell you even an inkling of what to do.

And this guy's voice acting is horrible.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

I'LL BET SKYRIM WAS YOUR FIRST TES GAME

I'm joking, but yeah it's like that. Trainwiz's previous MW mod was made for normal user enjoyment, SSE was made the way he thought it actually would be. No random "helpful notes" just conveniently scattered for you to read.

He doesn't really give any direction at all, though, and that's just plain bad design. It's not "hardcore" or "a challenge" when the player has no clue what to do. And I'm playing the GOTY edition of Morrowind I bought with my first Pentium 4 computer 12 years ago :P

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

That's just it though, he didn't design the place to be like a game. He designed it to be like he thought it actually would be.

I see him say that a bunch in the nexus thread about it, but that strikes me as a lame excuse after the fact. A bunch of people tell him how hard his mod is to play and he just keeps saying "I wasn't trying to make it playable, I was trying to make the real city". It's a game first and foremost and your mod needs to play like a game first. I don't mind the size, but he didn't bother giving any guidance. I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out this Rewound crap in the catacombs and gave up. I disabled the ESP and COCd myself to the end of the regular clockwork city so I could get on with my game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

Quicksave is still a bad idea

I have never encountered an issue with Quicksave in 12 years of playing Morrowind. What are you referring to?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My own understanding of the flawed quicksave/autosave mechanics of Bethesda games on the Gamebryo engine(s) is basically this: The method these games use to store an increasingly large amount of data on the fly (via quicksaves/autosaves) has a greater tendency to cut corners, erroneously record, or omit data than manual saves. These mistakes in saves can appear spontaneously, and as the amount of data increases--a weapon dropped here, a quest complete there, a dungeon cleared here, etc--the likelihood that one of these mistakes leads to a serious problem like a CTD increases, as well. For some reason, manually escaping to the main menu (which pauses the game) and making a hard save avoids or minimizes this problem. Another issue seems to crop from using the same save file over and over again, constantly overwriting it with new data. This seems to be part of why 3rd party autosave managers avoid the problems that built-in autosave features seem to have--they tend to only use any given save once, deleting and replacing it with a fresh save as the autosave cap is reached.

I would be shocked to learn that quicksave uses any code other than the normal saving code. It would have been a huge waste of dev time to write a separate function to write savefiles with the name "Quicksave" just because you called it via keypress rather than the menu.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
God, now I'm getting curious as to what their save files even look like. I can think of a dozen ways to store the sort of detailed information a TES game needs, but I'm betting that Beth chose the dumbest method possible. I know what I'm doing tonight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I prefer the mod that replaces all monsters and NPCs with cliff racers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mizuti posted:

Got a link for the beast race equipment?

Anyways, I've grabbed Melian's Teleport Mod as a kind of substitute for fast travel. It says "To use the basic teleporting functions, just use same spells/items you normally would". As a brand-new Morrowind player, that's not very helpful. I poked around Balmora and didn't spot any teleport spells available.

In case it's not something readily accessible to a newcomer, I might have to try console codes. I attempted to punch one in for extra gold for practice, but when I input the command and hit Enter, nothing happened. "additem gold_001 500" was what I tried. Am I doing it incorrectly?

player.additem, not just add item. additem is a function of an object. Also additem seems to work inconsistently depending on your mix of mods. In my current install of Morrowind, I'm not actually able to give myself any items through the console at all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

You were a pioneer in the art of video game sex. I salute you :3:

Nah, but seriously MCA was never a mod I thought of as a 'sex mod', it was just sort of there. On top of a lot of other great features. Plus, you seem to have removed it, or at least the worst bits, and made it better. So there's that!

It's actually player->additem "gold_001" 500 . It changed in all later games to player. , but in Morrowind it's an arrow.

No wonder :facepalm:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mortimer posted:

Skyrims combat is better than morrowinds but that isn't saying much. Compared with every other game it's balls (try the Witcher 2 then Skyrim again like I did, it'll make you sad).

As long as you pick a class/race meant for what you're going to do you shouldn't have problems in morrowind.

I hated Witcher 2's combat because it completely abandoned any pretense that the game was an RPG. Strangely, I hated Oblivion's combat for the same reason.

By the time Skyrim rolled around, I'd kinda just given into the fact that it was an action-adventure series now, but the Witcher's controls on PC were just plain offensive, so I gave up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SunAndSpring posted:

What's your opinion of the mod Sotha Sil Expanded? I only got to play an hour of it before my last computer committed seppuku and never got around to redownloading it. Seemed fun from what I played of it.

I thought it was pretty bad. You can filter down to other posts I made in this thread about it if you want details, but I felt like he made the city impossible to navigate and then fell back on "I designed it that way, like a mad god designed it!" as an excuse for levels with poor layouts and nothing to direct the player on what to do next.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My favorite Morrowind dwelling was the Ashlander Yurt mod. It gave you a Yurt item that you could drop to "unpack" your yurt wherever you wanted. You could then go inside and it had a bed and a bunch of chests, so you had your home and a place to stash loot with you all the time. A magic yurt.

Yurt yurt yurt.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Is it a normal AI reaction to just run away when you attack from high enough stealth? I had stumbled upon a clutch of daedra hiding in an underground chamber, mostly scamps. They were pretty dopey and just stood around while I cut them down. But, then I found their head honcho, an ogrim. The first I'd ever seen.

Now here's where it gets strange. I saved my game before challenging him and went to the restroom and when I got back the game had resumed, I was out of my crouch and the ogrim was standing directly in front of me. I guess the game still though I was crouched, or maybe you don't leave your "stealth" until you move while standing. Whatever the case was, the ogrim's stomach was pretty much in my face, so I went to town.

And he ran away! He made a little circle then proceeded to try and run down the ladder to his lair, across the chamber and up the pathway to the exit, but I took him out before he got there. It was a little off-putting, I'm not sure if that ogrim was supposed to somehow be friendly and/or related to a quest of some other path, but I wasn't about to go without attempting to kill a strange monster to see what loot it had.

If an enemy can't "see" you they will just run around all over the place, yeah. They either beeline toward you or run away like a benny hill sequence.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This was something that Morrowind did way better than Skyrim. I was in both the the thieves and fighters guild, and when I got to the fighters' guildmaster and he basically was all flat-out "I'm evil, do my bidding", I just murdered him on the spot and became guildmaster.

In Skyrim, I was similarly annoyed by Ancano in the mages college questline, but when I tried to murder him he just took a floornap, popped back up, and kept being an annoying egotripping bitch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Moryrie posted:

She's the lich in Tribunal who appears during the Crimson Plague quest. Apparently if you're level 50 she'll have like 47,200 health or something equally insane because it multiplies her health to be 800x your level instead of 100x. It should be around 1720 health.

I feel less bad about killing her with the console on my last playthrough now.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sylink posted:

That looks like a huge waste of time compared to the projects that are just re-doing the game in the skyrim engine.

Skyrim's gameplay and dialogue system don't mesh well with MW and no amount of modding is going to change that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hog Butcher posted:

Is there any way to see pickpocket percentages? I have no idea how pickpocketing works at all and that was one of my favorite Skyrim mechanics.

I've never seen one, but that's partially the point. You just have to gamble on your character's skills and deal with the consequences if they're not up to scratch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
There goes my battery forever!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GreatGreen posted:

So I just reinstalled Morrowind and MGSO, along with the latest version of Tamriel Rebuilt.

However, when I go over to those new regions (I've visited just south of Vivec to whatever town that was and east to the Telvanni region), 90% of everything is yellow squares and blue exclamation marks. I've activated both the bsa and esm files for Tamriel Rebuilt. Even the Distant Lands mod has rendered most things in TR just fine, but when I get reasonably close to them, they're just instantly replaced by the yellow and blue "missing mesh" boxes.

Any ideas?

Make sure that you actually registered the BSA files in your INI.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gyshall posted:

Hey, I know this thread was complaining about the LGNPC mod and feature bloat and whatnot.

Recently, there was a new version released that only had dialog - no quests, items, or other nonsense:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1514482-relz-lgnpc-dialogue-only-edition/

Going to give it a shot. It also comes in a single merged ESP which is sweet.

The dialogue is the problem with lgnpc. 90% of it is weirdo modders sexual fantasies in npc form.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stuporstar posted:

I also sent these criticisms Cyran0's way a couple years back. He agreed about cutting shitloads of clutter dialogue. For example, giving every alchemist separate entries describing every potion and ingredient in the game is tedious bullshit, especially when you have to sift through all that poo poo to get to quest-related dialogue. That poo poo's easy to cut, so it's likely being done.

As for the characters telling their life stories, I pointed out how annoying and unrealistic it is but I have no idea if they'll ever cut that poo poo because giving NPCs character requires more effort (like focusing on the NPC's environment as well), and also holding back information—and I think some of these modders just don't understand how to utilize subtext. You can make an NPC who only communicates in grunts who has more personality than an NPC who (to use and example from LGNPC) says they hate you but will forgive you instantly, for no other reason than you said "please," and do exactly what you want from then on because they must to make the quest go forward.

I agree with most of this. I could probably do it, as I am a professional writer. Ironically, this kinda precludes me having the time to faff around editing mod dialogue. I imagine that that's the reason most mods end up with the level of storytelling that they do. Good game design doesn't necessarily fall into the same skillset as making believable characters.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Even if Red Mountain totally hosed up Vvardenfel itself, you'd have to think the channel between it and mainland Morrowind would mitigate the damage somewhat for the mainlanders. The island bit of Morrowind was proper hosed, but the remaining Dunmer from the mainland are now trying to rebuild it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I can't answer the question on a comprehensive rebalance but I always have a plugin running to delay the Dark Brotherhood attacks until I'm a higher level and it makes greater (thematic) sense.

I disagree on this. Helseth sends the DB after you because he hears the emperor has sent a potential Nerevarine to Morrowind, and anyone who can even convince a few followers that he's Nerevar returned is going to be a threat to his hold on the throne. He would want to snuff you out before people know who you are. Killing you after you're powerful and running around making everyone like you and getting great houses on your side and such is just going to make people mad at him.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I hated Sotha Sil expanded. I tried really hard to like it, but after you get to the city it falls into mazes and switch puzzles pretty quickly and it got massively annoying. There also seem to be event flags that completely prevent progress if you don't hit some of the switches, so you can't even noclip past the annoying parts to take the door to progress.

It's one of those mods that's like 90% there, but the 10% that's missing is the part that would have made it actually fun.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

Thanks, I'll have to try that when I get home from work.

If it is a mod that's weird since all I installed was the MSOG + Morrowind Gold edition and as far as i know that only changes the graphics and nothing about gameplay.

Lol.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mooktastical posted:

You know what MW:GE is, right?

Shhhhhh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm playing Skyrim again after having just recently done a Morrowind run and Morrowind is far better even than that.

I had redownloaded Skyrim a few months back with the intent of playing through all the content I hadn't seen in my first playthrough. At about 60 hours into my character, running through yet another Forsworn fort, I had the sudden realization that I hadn't had any fun in nearly 40 hours worth of playing, uninstalled it, and fired up Morrowind. I have 120 hours into my new MW character.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love choosing spears as one of my major skills. It's probably one of the most common weapons I use.

I go straight to get that dwemer spear from the ruin up north. It's called Illuvorok or something like that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yes, a lot of chests aren't 'safe', they respawn. The ground, however, is 100% safe. Nothing you drop will ever despawn.

I should really examine MW save files some time. I can't imagine what horrors they're doing to save the location of every item in the game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Krowley posted:

Doesn't matter how many texture mods or shaders or de-foggers you force into this 15 year old game, if you don't use Redesigned Vivec it still looks like poo poo

http://mw.modhistory.com/download-87-14633

i bet even on a fairly modern machine that this mod chugs like crazy. the whole reason they ended up doing vivec as enclosed spaces was because the engine just didnt handle that much poo poo going on outdoors at once very well, and frankly the engine is bad enough that even on modern hardware that sort of thing tends to get fucky.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have never used a leveling mod in morrowind. I typically only use multimark, some graphical mods, and then all the fashion mods my little heart can handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't either.

I do install Better Bodies because the extremely segmented and extremely polygonal original bodies are too hard on me. But I've never found any of the retextures to be fitting. And high-res textures just emphasize the low-polyness of the meshes, so then you have to also install high-poly meshes, and that makes nonreplaced assets jarring, and so on.

I like better bodies, and I usually use Qarl's texture packs (rest in peace).