Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

The Tribunal Temple gives some great quests and has some awesome rewards, including the best armor in the game. It's probably the most unique faction in the game quest-wise (although Telvanni are still my favorite overall). The only thing that sucks about the Temple is having to kill my ol' vampire friends :( Oh and the pilgrimage quest can go suck a gently caress too, I'm betting a whole lot of people never realized how awesome the Temple is because they gave up during that poo poo.

On Xbox I remember just levitating and taping my analog stick for half an hour.

This time on PC I think I'm going to do it legit, on foot. :getin:

Edit: seems like a good time to ask: is there a good alchemy storage mod other than Alchemy Storage Helper? The version I can get on Nexus which mostly does what I want is really glitchy, which I've come to think is because the mod has no masters defined in the ESP. Not even Morrowind.esm. :psyduck:

Also, and kind of related, is there an FNVedit style program for Morrowind? None of the programs I've found are as usefully as that on.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I may be late to the party here, since I only "got" open-world games a couple of years ago, but having beaten Morrowind on the X-Box (and now playing on PC) I realized something about Morrowind's main theme: The drums in the main theme sound like a heartbeat - ie The Heart of Lorkhan.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dice Dice Baby posted:

You two are the best couple :unsmith:

By the way: which "modern" method of installing Morrowind will get the best performance?
I'm looking at Morrowblivion but I think I will close the door on a lot of mods and OpenMW will allow any mod that doesn't use external programs

That is an awesome story Elsie, I had exactly the same reaction (mentally) when it hit me.

DIce: I have both MGSO and Morroblivion installed, I actually prefer MGSO. Morroblivion is nice, and once you get the OBSE extenders that put Levitation and On Use enchantments back into Oblivion it's comparable, but it just doesn't feel like Morrowind.

Levitation totally breaks the Oblivion Gate worlds, incidentally! :)

Edit: Rather than double post, I'll just ask here: has anyone else thrown more music into the game like I have? I put all the Oblivion MP3s, a bunch of New Vegas MP3s, a bunch of ES Posthumus, and a bunch of tracks from OCRemix in there. Morrowind music is nice, but the same 8 tracks get old after a while. I was wondering what other people were adding.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 11, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll grab those as soon as I get home. In the meantime:

~Brew potions everyday~

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cephas posted:

wow, this is so surreal to listen to. It's like my head keeps wanting to go back and forth between recognizing it as the Final Fantasy 6 melody and automatically assuming it's the Morrowind theme song.

Also, on the note of custom music, the game Journey has a soundtrack with a similar style and mood if you want to just import its tracks to Morrowind's exploration music.

poo poo why didn't I think of that, I have that soundtrack. On a similar note, NieR's soundtrack fits well too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somebody pages and pages ago was asking for a simple sans serif font for Morrowind, here you go.

EDIT:Actually, use this version, the other once causes problems in the journal (This one is one point smaller, 17 vs 18 points. I can't seem to get the Morrowind Font Maker program to work with anything less than 17. 16 is a no-go!)

Preview:

To use it, unzip the file into the morrowind/data files/fonts directory, then open the morrowind.ini file and search for [FONTS] and edit like so:

Edit: Just change the first one, not the second.
Or, for maximum roleplaying you can do this:

Immersion, bitch! :getin:

Also, has anyone tried This mod? Kinda intrigued.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 16, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

How much time went into this :psyduck:

What's funnier is that this is the remake. The original didn't match up to his vision, so he redid it from scratch. :psyduck:

Edit: at least this is merely WTF and not the usual :nws::nms: Nexus anime/furdick crap.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

It's... it's beautiful :stare:

If it had numbers and punctuation it would be. I have a daedric ttf font, but the font maker won't make a useable font, I have no idea why. I'm going to tinker with it on my next day off, as well as try and polish some of the journal interface graphics.

Now I have a question for the thread: now that we have a simple one shot way to upgrade the graphics, what are some of the best content mods? Either new, like that Muffinwind mod (which I'm totally using for my next playthrough, if only for the chefs hat I see in the screenshots) or expanded, like Urviriths Legacy (really regretting not grabbing the other Telvanni mods that work with that*.)

So far, I have on my list for my next playthrough:

• Muffinwind
• the Telvanni suite: Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni, and the other ones that work with it.
• Great House Dagoth or The Sixth House
• The Latest Build of Tamriel Rebuilt

I've seen some mentions of an expansion of the Temple questline, I'd love to have a name for that mod.

Anything for the Morag Tong, the Theives Guild, etc?

* I will admit, to my shame, that I never played Telvanni before, because I couldn't find the Council House. D'oh. I see what all the fuss is about now.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Krowley posted:

Thanks, I installed both of those along with the 4GB patch, and I tried using FPS optimizer to get a proper widescreen FOV going but that program seems kinda wonky so I'll make do without it.

Skipping MGE and all that because I don't really care about old graphics, and not being able to save your game while outdoors is a huge :wtf: dealbreaker.

Uh, what?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Hahaha, always amazed when people bring up Muffinwind in this day and age. I'm the author :v:

The story behind is appropriately stupid. There was a thread on the Elder Scrolls forums in... 2005, must have been, about how the in-game "muffin" (an easter egg you can find on one of the plantations) should have a unique model instead of just being a renamed loaf of bread. This was a bit before cosmetic/food/whatever mods were really in fashion, so the idea was an amusing novelty. Eventually, someone made a muffin model, and this led to the predictable hilarious jokery about how it would be so zany and random if there was an epic quest mod based on muffins. Being fourteen and being entirely swept up in early-to-mid-2000s internet culture, I volunteered. I am not proud.

Still, I think the end mod turned out a lot better than expected, and it proved pretty popular and enduring, if never as famous as other quest mods of similar scope. That's fine by me, much as it started as a dumb joke which is faintly embarassing to recall, I'm proud that I had the dedication and attention span to put together something so ambitious over the course of a year when I was so young. It's probably that pride that led to me revisiting it years later to see what I would make of it, and subsequently wanting to do it "right" before I went to uni, kind of saying goodbye to the embarassingly huge part Morrowind and its modding community played in my teen years. It's more like a huge overhaul patch than a remake, fixing most aspects of it to a lesser or greater extent (juvenile dialogue, stupid unbalanced poo poo, cell clutter, bad lighting, buggy scripting etc - think I added a couple of sidequests too). The Enhanced Edition thing is a bit of a joke at CDProjekt's expense, it only really took me a month or so to make it.

Well, it's nice to have such an expansive mod that's not so lore serious, so thanks. I'm definitely playing with it on my next run. :) Thanks.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not saying that my understanding is the correct explanation of the situation, but there definitely appears to be a disparity between the stability of quicksaves and manual saves across the various games. Perhaps it is not a code difference, but simply that the saves are more problematic because they are generated as the game is running, rather than in the menu.

I think that is exactly what the problem is. Expecting Gamebryo to do two things at once? Madness.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's exactly what we're saying. God drat it, Psion.

I'm perfectly capable of accepting that both things are true, because Bethesda.

Edit: To expand on this, I can totally see them writing a seperate save function for quicksaves, as CASM has crashed New Vegas a time or two. (Well, not exactly, more "the straw that broke the camels back" when saving while too much poo poo is going on.)

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 19, 2013

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Psion posted:

I was replying to this, CoP. Not YOU. :colbert:

because if this is true, casm would fail, but it doesn't, therefore, :psyduck:

This seems all too plausible.

Let me rephrase: Expecting Gamebryo to do two things well at once? Madness.

As I said, I use CASM, and I'm fairly certain at least a few of my crashes are due to it trying to save at particularly hectic moments (always having a non corrupt save from a few minutes earlier more than makes up for that.)

I would not be surprised at all to find out that Bethesda wrote a "special" save function to cut down on crashing like (IMHO) CASM occasionally causes, at the cost of being more prone to data corruption.

Ironically, it seems to me that Morrowind would be less susceptible to this because the action does stop when you save.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey Stuporstar, I think I've figured out the problem with the lantern collision in Urviriths Legacy: having a 2pt Slow Fall enchant on an Altmer character. I get hung up on almost every one of them when wearing it.

Edit: in that it slows my descent just enough for the tall Altmer to get hung up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Stuporstar posted:

Actually, it's a problem with the lantern replacer used in MGSO 3.0. The modder added collision to several lanterns that were never intended to have it, and without intending to as well. Collision on lanterns is great if you actually have a physics engine that supports it, but in Morrowind, it turns them into concrete barriers. I remember back in the day some other modder's terrible attempt to finish off Uvirith Awakened added lace curtains with collision to every other doorway, which rendered whole rooms inaccessible without turning clipping off. It was loving disasterous. Anyway Melchior, the guy who made the lanterns, is a devout Telvanni player, so the minute I told him he accidentally made all Telvanni towers less navigable, he fixed it right away. I did try to minimize the impact the lanterns had on navigating Tel Uvirith if someone's running MGSO without updating the lantern replacer, but since it's a problem in all Telvanni towers (just less noticeable because you spend less time in the others), it's a good idea to upgrade the lanterns anyway.

Here's the current version of the Dunmer Lantern Replacer. If you install that version overtop your MGSO install, it'll clear the collision issue right up.

Edit: And here's that poo poo version of Uvirith Awakened. http://mw.modhistory.com/download-44-14815 I love the option for public screenshots on that site. When I found out someone uploaded that piece of poo poo version, I took it upon myself to warn potential downloaders about all the loving doilies. The impassible doilies.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Also, those doilies are obviously sabotage by Therana. :tinfoil:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, I've managed to make a better font pack for Morrowind, Grab It Here

Examples:

To use them, first unzip the file into \morrowind\data files\fonts\

Next, you'll need to open morrowind.ini and change the fonts section to this:

code:
[Fonts]
Font 0=Arial_Narrow_Bold_AA_17
Font 1=Courier_New_Bold_18
Font 2=Oblivion_Bold_AA_36
Now, I seem to have an environmental effect stuck on my character, the "Sixth House Shrine Whispering." Is this normal for just having Caius Cosades tell me I may be the Nerevarine? I mean, is this something added by MGSO, or a bug? If it's a bug, how do I remove it? Is there a console command I could use?

Finally, what's the deal with the missing textures in MGSO? I have several (Female Daedric Cuirass, Some Glass armor pieces as well as an hourglass in Uvirith's Legacy.) Now, I did a search for those textures in the files and they appear to be there? Are they just in the wrong directory? What would be the right directory?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

Great House Dagoth has, or at least had, a compatibility patch that made it work with GDR. I remember there was some stupid drama over it, though, because it disabled the GDR additions to the Dagoth Ur fight when you followed the GHD storyline (because the new ending no longer made sense if you followed that storyline)- and granted, I remember some people claiming it broke the ending even if you didn't follow the GHD storyline. A compromise was eventually reached, but a quick google search is turning up nothing, so I'm guessing the drama came back.

As for Great House mods, the ones I'd recommend are LGNPC Pax Redoran and Indarys Manor for Redoran, Grandmaster of Hlaalu for Hlaalu, and Stuporstar's Uvirith's Legacy, Rise of House Telvanni, LGNPC Tel Uvirith, and Building Up Uvirith's Legacy (the UL compatible version of Building Up Uvirith's Grave). I'd also recommend TR if you weren't already using it, since if playing Telvanni, you get access to the 'mainland' version of House Telvanni and the low-level quests that come with it (the high level quests are not yet implemented).

Mix and match to taste and enjoy.

Thanks a ton for that list, I've been looking for a list of expanded content mods. Speaking of mods, I've made two (minor) ones of my own, I've been waiting for the thread to bump so I could post them! :)

Anyhow, the first is merely a patch for a few missing textures in the MGSO, I figured out how to open them in nifskope and point them at the correct textures (one of them was pointing at a .bmp as opposed to a .dds!) Anyhow, here's that one. I fixed:
  • The Glass Boots ground model
  • The female Daedric Cuirass
  • An hourglass

I know people have mentioned other missing textures/meshes, if people could post screenshots of the error messages, I'd try to fix those too! :)

Secondly, I noticed that the journal/book interface looked pretty bad. There's a limit to what I could fix, because from what I can tell MGE just scales up the journal to screensize from a fairly tiny background, but I did tinker with the graphics to make them look a bit better (IMHO):

Anyhow, this pack is available here. I think it looks better, especially with the better font pack I created, available here.

To use the fonts,unzip them into your morrowind/data files/fonts directory, and then you'll have to edit the [FONTS] section of your morrowind.ini to this:

code:
[Fonts]
Font 0=Arial_Narrow_Bold_AA_17
Font 1=Courier_New_Bold_18
Font 2=Oblivion_Bold_AA_36
Anyhow, enjoy, do whatever you want with this stuff.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I prefer the mod that replaces all monsters and NPCs with cliff racers.

Only if it makes them playable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mizuti posted:

I figured out installation. Now I just need to set up all the mods I want.

I'm using Wrye Mash, which the OP says can sort load order and check dependencies. How can I do that? Somewhere I'm missing a master file, and I hope I don't have to dig for it manually. Edit: Looks like the passive animals mod was the culprit.

Is there a decent mod out there that gives beast races usable shoes? Or better animations?

Yes, and unfortunately not that I've found, respectively.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

drat, that sucks. His texture pack made oblivion looks so much better. :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

As a Morrowind lover, I'm going to reveal something embarrassing about myself. I have no clue how alchemy works in this game.

Hell it took me over half a decade to even get past Caius in the main quest line. The vast majority of my love for this game came from the simple pleasure of activating God mode and just exploring my rear end off for who knows how many hours, talking to weirdos and finding the coolest and most bizarre looking gear I could get my hands on, and marveling at how vast, alive, and complete the world felt.

But since then, I've completed the main quest and I'm working on the factions. I've decided the time has come for me to learn how to break this game over my knee without the console, from the inside out. In other words, I've decided to learn alchemy.

So where can I go to learn everything there is to know about Morrowind alchemy?

Easiest way: bloat+ash yams to fortify intelligence, drink it, make another, repeat.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

supergayboy posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for music mods? I love the music from vanilla, but I'm looking for a little more variety, preferably stuff that fits in with the original stuff.

At present the only additional song I've added was the Katamari Damacy theme for when I'm exploring and it's a wee bit inappropriate, albeit hilarious.

The soundtrack from Journey fits really well.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

If you want to do hardcore jumping then you should use the 'jump' spell effect, as it's way more cost effective for distance and is way easier to find. Just cast slowfall before you fall and you'll be fine.

Or a constant-effect 1pt slow fall. Prevents all fall damage.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You know, has anybody ever found a mod that replaces the status effect icons ( the ones in the lower right hand corner of the screen) with icons that are more readily legible? After ten years of playing this game, I still can't identify ninety percent of them.

On a similar subject, is there one that gets rid of the icons for permanent bonuses?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oggumogoggum posted:

Awwwwwww yeee, guess who has a decent computer now.

Ooo! Ooo! I know! I know! Pick me! Pick me dammit! Ooo! Ooo!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mortimer posted:

have you seen daggerfall's? those are incredible

Link?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schrodingers cat posted:

I am using both at the same time but not Madd Leveler (I use GCS) so that conflict doesn't happen.

You're right, it may simply be a version discrepancy and I'll run mash on the mods.

Is IO really that superior to LC2? I've not played either.

Edit:

I tried re-installing oblivion and installed FCOM and tweaked everything wrong so that leaving the sewers made me surrounded by about 30 wolves and 5 black widows spiders who 1 shot me.

I'm good at modding.

Nope, that's just FCOM working as intended.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schrodingers cat posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely look into Maskar's. I found a mod to expand on Manimarco's story (Revisited - Light and Dark) and it seems interesting. I always found the mage guild was anti-climactic in Oblivion and Skyrim. While nothing has been really done to expand on Skyrim's, Oblivion and Morrow have really nice mods for this it seems.

The only "expansion" I've found for The College of Winterhold is the Spellmaking in Skyrim mod, which actually has a very nice quest associated with it. Unfortunately it only works with vanilla spells, and not SPERG.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

For extra shits and giggles, post it in D&D. That's all I got.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

"Commander, we've induced autism in the clones as you directed, but we're running out of Cheetos and Mountain Dew to pump into the clone vats."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Why not just use the mackinaw heads, delete the Breton heads, and replace them with heads from a different pack. Or replace them with opposite sex redguard heads for laughs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Moryrie posted:

Consistency. x_x

Hobgoblin of small minds.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Does anyone know of a compiled OSG version of OpenMW I could download?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, quick stupid Construction Set question: How do I rotate a static? It's not the same as the Skyrim CK.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Awesome, thank you!

As your repayment, here's the error message Open Morrowind gave me when crashing just now.

Helpful!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, Ralen Hlaalo, hold everything forever.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Depending on your definition of "fixed"
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43129/

I wonder if I can make it so only Ordinators use that walk.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As I thought, the creator saved the tx_ash_clouds.dds without the alpha channel. Here's a fixed watercolor tx_ash_cloud.dds with an alpha channel.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Whaaaaaat? :psyduck:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Also not just fixing those textures. Seriously, it took me five minutes - at the outside - to fix that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, using it now and it really looks nice. I highly recommend it.