Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

bunky posted:

Absolute agreement.

I'm paraphrasing the actual meaning of the concept, but I feel I've got the gist of it. It's one of the best albums I've ever come across.

Both De-Loused and Frances are both great for interpretations. I also found Absence carries the same kind of flow, albeit a lot more abstract.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

EDIT: I feel like sharing this. I randomly found this girl on myspace and she has some pretty killer piano/vocal covers of Tetragrammaton and Miranda. Check her piano run of Tetra's opening riff, pretty awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/conniehan

Wow this Miranda cover is absolutely divine.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

My favorite TMV song is Frances the Mute. That fuckin' climax blows my mind every time. Shame about the four minutes of clanking chains that I skip through every time though!

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

Bruce Boxliker posted:

EDIT: I feel like sharing this. I randomly found this girl on myspace and she has some pretty killer piano/vocal covers of Tetragrammaton and Miranda. Check her piano run of Tetra's opening riff, pretty awesome.

http://www.myspace.com/conniehan

The piano work is good, but the autotune on her vocals is horrific.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Tetragrammaton cover is beautiful. Miranda's really good too, but yeah, anytime she's autotuned sounds awful.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I've tried, but I just can't get into anything they've done since Frances. Maybe I should give Octahedron another spin?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 16, 2011

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That Tetragrammaton cover is beautiful.

Sounds really rushed to me IMO

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Earwicker posted:

Sounds really rushed to me IMO

Like she went through the chorus too fast, you mean? I can see how that'd be a concern for some, but I don't know, I rather liked it like that. It's different than the original for sure, but I think it works.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I wish that I could find a way to cut up Frances The Mute (the song) to fit at the beginning of the the Frances (the album) cause I like it more than Cygnus... Vismun Cygnus

DrChu
May 14, 2002

WASDF posted:

I wish that I could find a way to cut up Frances The Mute (the song) to fit at the beginning of the the Frances (the album) cause I like it more than Cygnus... Vismun Cygnus
Its like one minute longer, you can't fit that on an 80 minute CD?

You could always try a higher capacity disc:
http://cgi.ebay.com/90-Minute-CDR-CD-R-10-pack-90-800-mb-bulk-recordable-/120758391859?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item1c1dc2d433#ht_2831wt_789

http://cgi.ebay.com/99-Minute-CDR-CD-R-870-mb-5-pack-Overburn-Nero-/150642235875?pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item2312fa19e3#ht_3788wt_789

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, I didn't mean the capacity. I mean, the song ends with the beginning of Cyngus... but... wait. It actually kind of fits, I just listened to it.

I was talking about replacing Cygnus with Frances but I thought that the ending somehow conflicted with The Widow. I would actually like it to put it either in front of Cygnus or as the last track, but I don't want to remove a song.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 17, 2011

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

WASDF posted:

Oh, I didn't mean the capacity. I mean, the song ends with the beginning of Cyngus... but... wait. It actually kind of fits, I just listened to it.

I was talking about replacing Cygnus with Frances but I thought that the ending somehow conflicted with The Widow. I would actually like it to put it either in front of Cygnus or as the last track, but I don't want to remove a song.

It (Frances the Mute) was intended to be the first track of the album, and I keep it placed as such.

Monroe
May 7, 2010
Old Money is the most TMV of the Omar albums because it was a TMV album before they scrapped it for Bedlam. Some of the tracks have subtle background vocals, and I wonder if the rest of the vocals were recorded as well but never mixed or released? It sounds like it is a finished album besides lyrics. Did they never complete it, or would the complete album be considered Warner Brothers Records property so Omar could only release the instrumentals?

I think Old money would have been a killer album, it is killer, but it could be even more homicidal with lyrics. Does such a record exist, and where can I get one?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Monroe posted:

Old Money is the most TMV of the Omar albums because it was a TMV album before they scrapped it for Bedlam. Some of the tracks have subtle background vocals, and I wonder if the rest of the vocals were recorded as well but never mixed or released? It sounds like it is a finished album besides lyrics. Did they never complete it, or would the complete album be considered Warner Brothers Records property so Omar could only release the instrumentals?

I think Old money would have been a killer album, it is killer, but it could be even more homicidal with lyrics. Does such a record exist, and where can I get one?

I believe that when you hear Omar say that an album is "finished", he means that it is waiting for vocals. Old Money, alongside many of his solo releases, have bits and pieces of members from TMV (see Xenophanes for everyone but Cedric). Based on how Cedric is laying the blame for the new album delay on himself, I imagine Omar gives him a mostly-complete instrumental album to put lyrics over a la Deltron 3030.

You won't ever see this album with Cedric vocals. Period.

This makes me want Cryptomnesia pt. 2 and 3.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

WASDF posted:

When the album first came out, on torrent sites, some guy had taken the entire FTM album, including the title track, and removed all the ambient poo poo - it cut the 5 minutes of bells ringing in the title track down to about 20 seconds, and it removed the 5 or so minutes of frogs from Miranda... etc. It makes Frances the Mute so, so much better. And you can listen to it all on one cd.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
If you guys are looking for awesome piano covers, thumphrey on Youtube does a lot of great covers. Roulette Dares is awesome.

E: He has the MP3s uploaded too.

Monroe
May 7, 2010
I got sick of looking the lyrics of TMV songs up online or finding my CD booklets, so I decided to collect all the lyrics and make a book on Lulu. The collection covers everything from Tremulant to Octahedron, including "Frances the Mute", and my best idea of English translations of the Spanish parts. I just got it in the mail today and it looks really good. It was originally supposed to be just for my personal reference because I can't sell their copyrighted material as my own, but I can still sell it to you goons. All of the interior pages are black and white, despite color in the preview. It's only $7.08 plus shipping.

Get it here: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/the-mars-volta-lyrics/18165350

I plan to update it when LP6 is released (whenever that is...).

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Bumping this for big news.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2012/01/mars-volta-new-album-2012/

quote:

After nearly a year of speculation, new studio recordings from The Mars Volta have finally been confirmed for 2012, with a solid date for a new song, and a tentative date for their sixth LP.

As confirmed on Sony’s official Playstation Blog, the soundtrack for the baseball game MLB 12 The Show will contain a brand new track from The Mars Volta, entitled Zed And Two Naughts. The blog even provided a screenshot of the game, demonstrating its soundtrack menu, where the Volta song is clearly visible:

Confirmed via Cathy, the spokeswoman for ORLP:

quote:

I noticed you follow RockZone on twitter. I'm sure you will be flooded with questions about them or based on something they just posted recently so I'll keep this question simple. Do you consider them a credible source?

Yes The mars volta album is slated to come out March 27th if that's what you are referring too? That is what I have been told by a few people

And magazines have received the advanced album?

quote:

RockZone
@theoneirologist We have received the advance album and it says In Abstentia. Maybe they will change it, who knows.

But, In Absentia is not the name of the album. But it is a track name..

quote:

lunarpower666 (2 minutes ago)
there is a song on the new volta that goes by the name in absentia but it is not the record title.
Spam
lunarpower666

lunarpower666 (3 minutes ago)
I am afraid that is not the title of latest volta record. we will announce it soon. it really is just around the corner.

Who's excited?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh god, I'm too excited.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
I can't wait to hear Zed and the Two Naughts, especially if it works with the label of future-punk. This album gonna rock, guys. Hopefully we'll hear this song before March 7th, either due to a single release or a preview.

If it's on a MLB game, its gotta be crazy.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I heard one song with Cedric singing on a recent ORL video on youtube. I honestly wasn't digging it, but I'm very hopeful for the album.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I never really play their whole albums anymore but they usually have a track or two that sticks with me for awhile. I'll definitely jam it a few times.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Can we discuss At The Drive-In here? Because they're back in business.

https://twitter.com/#!/AtTheDriveIn_/status/156440488881307648

This is going to be really good.

e: Also, regarding TMV, they're one of my favourite bands of all time, mainly because they helped me get into music in general, and I seriously can't wait for LP6.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 9, 2012

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
ATDI probably could have their own

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Venomous posted:

Can we discuss At The Drive-In here? Because they're back in business.

https://twitter.com/#!/AtTheDriveIn_/status/156440488881307648

This is going to be really good.

e: Also, regarding TMV, they're one of my favourite bands of all time, mainly because they helped me get into music in general, and I seriously can't wait for LP6.

Whoa. No wonder Cedric and Omar were quiet for 2011.

http://atdimusic.com/

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
HOLY poo poo

Yeah, this probably deserves its own thread — maybe once we know more about the reunion (just tour dates or a new album or ... yeah)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

The SARS Volta posted:

HOLY poo poo

Yeah, this probably deserves its own thread — maybe once we know more about the reunion (just tour dates or a new album or ... yeah)

Seriously. Is this out of left field for anyone else? Cedric's been blasting against it on his Youtube account all year and Omar's been very hesitant towards it in all his media interviews.

I'm still loving stoked, especially if they decide to do a new album.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yes, Omar once said that he was reticent to play 15-year-old material once again, so it's definitely a bit surprising that they're back.

Maybe they were both secretly enthusiastic about it the whole time, who knows. Either way we'll find out more from everyone over the coming days and months, and they should be excellent live, whenever that may be.

Just as long as people don't mosh.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I'm incredibly jacked, as Relationship of Command is one of my all-time favorite albums — christ, there's enough energy in it to power a city – but became kind of apathetic toward both TMV or Sparta after their respective second LPs.

For what it's worth, this is on the ATDI wiki page:

quote:

Possible reunion

During an interview with Drowned in Sound in June 2009, Bixler-Zavala stated that he has been in discussions with the band's former members and suggested that they could get back together after they sort their financial business out. He added, "I wouldn't mind it. It might happen, we just have to iron out a lot of personal things. A lot of it we've dealt with already and I've apologized for a lot of things I've said and the way it ended... we'll see what happens."[9]

In direct, response to Bixler-Zavala's Drowned in Sound comments, guitarist Jim Ward quickly threw water on the rumors of a reunion by telling Buzzgrinder, "I don’t think that I’ll be answering any questions or doing any interviews anymore, thank you very much. I haven’t got much to say about anything except with songs which I will continue to make and release — cheers… -jimward."[10]

Regarding the relationship between the band members, Omar Rodríguez-López stated to The Skinny in July 2009 that:

The fact of the matter is that we’re in our thirties now and that breakup happened ten years ago. As a human being you just don’t want that kind of karma. We did a lot of poo poo talking, and they did a lot of poo poo talking, so I just called everybody up and invited them to my house and said ‘hey, listen, we’re in our thirties now, I’m sorry for whatever I said, I’m sure you guys didn’t mean what you said–you guys were upset because I split up the band and we were upset because of whatever. Let’s be friends again. But do I want to reunite and play loving 15 year old songs? Well, it would be like asking you, ‘do you want to get back together with your first girlfriend?’ You learn some amazing things together, but I just shudder at the thought. We were a band that went out on top, which is good, but it’s just a coincidence. We were also a band that had been together for seven years, and for six of those years played to nobody and had a great time but were also on the verge of splitting up many times before that. It’s an old relationship. People would like to think of it as unfinished business because to them we went out when we were most popular, but that has nothing to do with the creative element. As far as the creative element went, it very much was finished business. That’s why I ended the band! Now, thank god, loving ten years later, we’re not holding a grudge and we’re all cool with it. People pick up on the difference of attitude and think ‘oh, this could mean a possible reunion’, but that’s just them projecting their own desires upon us.[11]

In an interview with NME in March 2011, when "asked about continuing rumours that he would reunite with his former bandmates in At The Drive-In, Rodríguez-López said that there were no plans afoot. He did add 'never say never' about a possible reunion, though."[12]

Official reunion (2012–present)

On January 9, 2012, the band confirmed a reunion through Alternative Press and the launching of a new website and twitter account.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
And from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Productions comes this:

quote:

Stay tuned. Omar will be playing some @AtTheDriveIn_ shows to be announced - yes. http://atdimusic.com/

:fap:

Toolband
May 28, 2003

Year of the Tiger....probably not but hey we started 2-0
some sites say reunion at Coachella then more shows

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

This is amazing news.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Webbeh posted:

And from Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Productions comes this:

:fap:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn't want to get too excited after the fake City of Caterpillar reunion earlier this year. I was just looking for word from any already established accounts. This is exactly what I needed. :fap:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

this is the best news in the world. pretty disappointed with what mars volta has churned out after de-loused.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I am more excited than I have ever been in my entire life. At the Drive-in is my favorite band of ALL TIME, and I never saw them live before they broke up. This is the best day of my life. I don't care how loving goony it sounds I am literally inches away from tears.

Boy Wunder
Dec 2, 2000

Wow, this is exciting. I discovered At the Drive-in months after they broke up. Can't wait to see what this is about.

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Oh my God, Relationship of Command is one of my top 5 all time albums. I don't think there is a band reunion announcement that could get me more excited than this, I am loving dying.

Xaanz
Mar 30, 2004
Moose of Spooky Doom
ATDI getting back together is probably the best news of 2012 for me, if/when they tour, I'm willing to drive or travel anywhere just to see them live. Like many others, Relationship of Command is one of my favorite albums of all time and in my top 3 for the last 12 years or so.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

This just made my whole loving day. Relationship of Command and Deloused in the Comatorium are two of my favorite albums ever, but The Mars Volta has been on a steady decline ever since. I'm really hoping Omar doesn't gently caress this up by continuing his position as "band director" or whatever.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I heard this is the thread for FREAKING THE gently caress OUT

Happy 30th birthday to me, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
One of my dreams of possibly seeing At the Drive In play live is becoming a reality.

This is a good day.

• Locked thread