Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Music Group."

Seriously, WMG, go gently caress yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

drunk asian neighbor posted:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Warner Music Group."

Seriously, WMG, go gently caress yourselves.

I'm waiting for someone to upload a mirror, I'll toss it here once its active.

http://www.themarsvolta.com/

quote:

The new song, The Malkin Jewel, will be up shortly, but in the meantime check out the new site!

:fap:

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 13, 2012

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Preorder is up: http://www.themarsvolta.com/preorder/

Vinyl will be handled through Sargent House.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Yeah I noticed the other post after I made mine, so I trimmed out the fat and left that awesome picture and tracklist for more discussion.

When is TMV's record contract expire? I think they're past the point where a recording company will help them.

Also, the album and tshirt preorder is a great deal, you'd pay that much for the shirt itself at a concert.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

yrF posted:

Yeah I noticed the other post after I made mine, so I trimmed out the fat and left that awesome picture and tracklist for more discussion.

When is TMV's record contract expire? I think they're past the point where a recording company will help them.

Also, the album and tshirt preorder is a great deal, you'd pay that much for the shirt itself at a concert.

TMV I believe is done with WB after this record. I could see them jumping on ship with Sargent House, since they've got it down for promos, bundles, and promotion in general. Plus it would give Omar + Cedric a bit of breathing room and Omar more access to get his noodlin' out on solo ventures.

I'm hoping that t-shirt comes with the vinyl preorder as well, whenever that becomes available.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You guys actually managed to get me excited about TMV again! Thanks.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
:siren: Studio quality "The Malkin Jewel" is available on The Mars Volta's website: http://www.themarsvolta.com/the-malkin-jewel/ :siren:

The effects on this page during the song are so trippy and fun.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
And for those At the Drive-In fans, Omar's phone interview with the BBC really explains why an ATDI reunion took so long (Omar) and what to expect (the energy is still there).

It's quite possibly the least-awkward Omar interview I've ever heard.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Ehh, not a big fan of the new song, all things considered. It just seems like it doesn't really go anywhere, and it sounds really bland. Still waiting for the album because a lot of the live stuff around is quite cool.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

is an album about Solomon Grundy

and Hyacinthus

:stare:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

OK, I have to ask how you got an undead old school Batman villain and a Greek myth about a dude that failed to catch a frisbee from the track listing and album title.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

It's from the Rolling Stones article.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-mars-volta-announce-new-album-noctourniquet-20120117

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Webbeh posted:

And for those At the Drive-In fans, Omar's phone interview with the BBC really explains why an ATDI reunion took so long (Omar) and what to expect (the energy is still there).

It's quite possibly the least-awkward Omar interview I've ever heard.

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff. So it seems like ATDI only has the Coachella show lined up right now and no current plans to record. :( Hopefully playing that show lights a fire under their asses and they get back to doing their thing in earnest.

Sparta's got a new record on the horizon too, I think, so it may be a while though.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Webbeh posted:

:siren: Studio quality "The Malkin Jewel" is available on The Mars Volta's website: http://www.themarsvolta.com/the-malkin-jewel/ :siren:

The effects on this page during the song are so trippy and fun.

Goddamn this is awesome. Sounds really slick.

DREAM PHONE
Sep 29, 2006
You're right! I really like you!

yrF posted:

is an album about Solomon Grundy

Cedric has said it relates to the old nursery rhyme called Solomon Grundy, NOT the comic book character. Rolling Stone and I think a few other magazines jumped to the conclusion that it was the comic book character.

Solomon Grundy,
Born on a Monday,
Christened on Tuesday,
Married on Wednesday,
Took ill on Thursday,
Grew worse on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.
That was the end,
Of Solomon Grundy.

Cedric sang most of this during live shows last year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Happy Hippo posted:

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff. So it seems like ATDI only has the Coachella show lined up right now and no current plans to record. :( Hopefully playing that show lights a fire under their asses and they get back to doing their thing in earnest.

Sparta's got a new record on the horizon too, I think, so it may be a while though.

I'm hearing rumblings that they'll be at Lollapalooza, which would rule due to timing and proximity.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I just impulse bought the cd/shirt bundle. I never do that, but I liked the single so what the hell.

jeffreyheart
Feb 13, 2012
this single reminds me of nick cave for some reason.

Can't wait for a new TMV release, no one guitars like this guy.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
anyone have a working link to the Omar interview? The current one in the thread isn't working for me...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jeffreyheart posted:

Yeah I agree with that. Still not a huge fan of it (not a big fan of Nick Cave either, except for a few songs) but I'm excited for the album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this on Facebook and thought you guys might appreciate it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4rNo8JRhL4

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

jeffreyheart posted:

Maybe because of the lyrics.

Jangling Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F19oE8930

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Slackerish posted:

anyone have a working link to the Omar interview? The current one in the thread isn't working for me...

Damnit, this is a different one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fa06n7f939snw6q

quote:

http://www.xfm.co.uk/onair/shows/musicresponse-blog

You can listen to it here. Just click 'listen again' in the top right and search Mary Anne Hobbs and its the most recent show.

It starts about 1 hour 10 minutes in.

And the cliffnotes from the interview:

quote:

20 songs recorded in total during the sessions.
Noctourniquet is 3 years old.
20 albums recorded since then.
Hopefully playing in UK for festivals and intimate shows this Summer.

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 16, 2012

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wait, is that saying that Omar recorded 20 albums in three years? :psyduck:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah, that sounds a bit low.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The man never runs out of material. Mostly loving awesome material, at that!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I knew he was prolific, but I didn't realize he is literally a machine programmed to generate music. He must honestly never stop. Awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's produced like 12 solo/Omar-fronted group albums just since Octahedron.

2009 Los Sueños de un Hígado
2009 Xenophanes
2009 Solar Gambling
2010 Ciencia de los Inútiles
2010 Omar Rodriguez Lopez & John Frusciante
2010 Sepulcros de Miel
2010 Tychozorente
2010 Cizaña de los Amores
2010 Mantra Hiroshima
2010 Dōitashimashite
2010 Un Escorpión Perfumado
2010 Telesterion

And there are probably even more than that that he didn't produce!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, that sounds a bit low.

Exactly. Omar's built for making music. loving Bromar.

And we're not taking into account the three albums with artwork on Telesterion:

quote:

Q: tommorow is my 23rd birthday. and the best gift for that occasion would be some fresh and chrispy info about new ORL release. now, I know you can't say much,but how close is the release?will he be releasing the albums mentioned in telesterion booklet? tnx
A: sorry to disappoint I dont' have much new news to tell anyone on when i will have the trilogy.....

Now if he's just loving release them and do small vinyl runs for them, I'd spend my loving money on them. :argh:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I think the only ones of those that I've heard are Xenophanes and Solar Gambling. I've got work to do.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

They are pretty much all awesome and quite varied. No idea how the hell he does it.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

I think the only ones of those that I've heard are Xenophanes and Solar Gambling. I've got work to do.

You owe it to yourself to buy Se Dice Bisonte, No Bufalo, The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange, Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fungus, Cryptomnesia, Old Money, and Calibration.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

Exactly. Omar's built for making music. loving Bromar.

:lol: Is that shirt available to buy online anywhere? And if so, where? I want to throw money at whoever's selling them.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: Is that shirt available to buy online anywhere? And if so, where? I want to throw money at whoever's selling them.

No, I actually made it awhile back as a combination of an Omar stencil and a Captain Planet stencil.

I wonder if I still have it on my laptop somewhere..

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

No, I actually made it awhile back as a combination of an Omar stencil and a Captain Planet stencil.

I wonder if I still have it on my laptop somewhere..

Nice work! :D

Also, it blows my mind that Omar stencils exist.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Webbeh posted:

Cryptomnesia, Old Money,
Yeah, I have these two as well. Will definitely check out the rest, thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Apocalypse Inside of an Orange is especially great, one of his best IMO, as is the Frusciante collab (though if you dislike abstract music you might not like it)

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

XENOPHANES, Cryptomnesia and Un Scorpion Perfumado are my favorites by ORL.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

John Frusciante + Omar Rodriguez Lopez and Sepulcros De Miel are also awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
https://twitter.com/!/AtTheDriveIn/status/171726229697859585/photo/1

• Locked thread