Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Their post was ".... standby... for transmission http://pic.twitter.com/WjZuLazC
"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So...2 $300/ticket shows in CA and a European tour? Great...

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

drunk asian neighbor posted:

So...2 $300/ticket shows in CA and a European tour? Great...

Yeah, if they just do a Euro tour, I'm giving up on seeing them now. There's no way I can come up with that kinda scratch in the next few months.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Well, the first place has been announced:

quote:

AT THE DRIVE IN is proud to announce our first show in Europe: Thursday July 12 FIB Benicassim in Costa Azahar, Spain!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Looking to be a festival reunion :eng99:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Yeah, but what a crazy crazy world when they headline along side New Order and the Stone Roses.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
No new music either unfortunately

http://www.nme.com/news/at-the-drive-in/62197

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Sounds like they have a lovely attitude about it. At least they're truthful about being in for the money, I guess.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's not such a big surprise, but I was hoping for a proper tour anyway. Lame.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

yardblog posted:

Well that's a downer. :(

I just got an e-mail from The Troubadour announcing that Sparta is playing a show May 22nd. I thought that Sparta had broken up, so that's news to me!

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/100987?utm_source=MEL&utm_medium=6333

Here's hoping there's a gigantic tour with everyone called THE MARSPARTATDRIVEIN TOUR.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wazzit posted:

Well that's a downer. :(

I just got an e-mail from The Troubadour announcing that Sparta is playing a show May 22nd. I thought that Sparta had broken up, so that's news to me!

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/100987?utm_source=MEL&utm_medium=6333

Here's hoping there's a gigantic tour with everyone called THE MARSPARTATDRIVEIN TOUR.

Jim had a country band after Sparta called Sleepercar so we might as well put them on the bill too.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
So, The Comatorium (the official TMV message board) got word from a MLB forum that sample copies of MLB The Show 12 (which include the song Zed & The Two Naughts) was at select Best Buys. Users across the forum called their local Best Buys to see if the game was demoed. One user, Shareeb, got confirmation of his Best Buy, drove over to the store, and recorded the song on his phone. Then, he got home and had to go to work, giving The Comatorium an eight-hour wait until he finally released the song above.

The song sounds a lot more like TMV, although obviously its poo poo quality (on par with the FTM leak for those who remember that) makes it hard to listen to the song in detail. However, this should dissuade some people who were worried guitar work was minimalist on the album.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Sounds loads better than anything on Octahedron.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

yardblog posted:

Omar annoys the poo poo out of me sometimes. Stop being such an insecure baby about the fact that everyone loved the poo poo out of your old band you jerk. He seems SO loving uncomfortable about it. Why?? I don't get it. The reunion thing just seems so lame now.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Relayer posted:

Omar annoys the poo poo out of me sometimes. Stop being such an insecure baby about the fact that everyone loved the poo poo out of your old band you jerk. He seems SO loving uncomfortable about it. Why?? I don't get it. The reunion thing just seems so lame now.

He wants people to love him for his 20-minute masturbatory guitar solos instead of his hardcore roots. I almost feel bad for the guy TBH.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is it really that hard to comprehend that, when you feel like you've made tremendous progress as a musician and artist, you'd rather have people like your current work than the work you created when you were an inferior artist?

I mean, think what you want about TMV's current music, but there's not really any need or justification for casting aspersions on Omar for the things he says. He's a pretty reasonable guy

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
He's a dick.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

TheQat posted:

Is it really that hard to comprehend that, when you feel like you've made tremendous progress as a musician and artist, you'd rather have people like your current work than the work you created when you were an inferior artist?

No, but it's insane if he regards his work with ATDI as being inferior. I like some of his solo stuff, but he's digressed stylistically and TMV peaked with De-Loused in my opinion. De-Loused was amazing, and was definitely huge musical progress, but everything since then not so much. I think he's just too proud and probably too arrogant to admit that ATDI might have simply been better artistically than a lot of what he's done in the last 8-9 years.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 2, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Relayer posted:

No, but it's insane if he regards his work with ATDI as being inferior.

What's insane about that? To us it's different styles of music but to him it's his past work versus his present and future work - I think it's pretty normal for a lot of artists to view their career as a progression in a direction of what they consider improvement, even if their audience prefers earlier works.

quote:

I think he's just too proud and probably too arrogant to admit that ATDI was simply better artistically than a lot of what he's done in the last 8-9 years.

Maybe he honestly feels that it isn't? Personally I like Omar's solo work a lot better than any ATDI album, I don't think it's hard to believe Omar feels the same way since he's the one making the music. Whether one sound is "artistically better" than the other is entirely subjective and I don't see how there's anything wrong with Omar making the same subjective judgements about his own work that everyone else does.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Earwicker posted:

What's insane about that? To us it's different styles of music but to him it's his past work versus his present and future work - I think it's pretty normal for a lot of artists to view their career as a progression in a direction of what they consider improvement, even if their audience prefers earlier works.

Yes it's perfectly normal, but I think good artists recognize when they're going off the deep end in their pursuit of improvement. Omar I think often mistakes rampant experimentation for actual progress and doesn't know when to edit himself.

Earwicker posted:

Whether one sound is "artistically better" than the other is entirely subjective and I don't see how there's anything wrong with Omar making the same subjective judgements about his own work that everyone else does.

Sure music is art, and art is subjective. But I think it's a mistake and kind of egotistical when artists, especially musicians completely disregard patterns in subjective opinion. I think when you're a band, it's valuable to look at what was well received and determine why it was well received, and use that to inform your subsequent writing. Omar seems to just have this "gently caress all y'all, I'm gonna do anything I want" approach, which may or may not work depending on who you are. For him, I think it often results in lazy-sounding crap. He's completely infatuated with the idea of artistic integrity to the point that he thinks everything he does is better than what he did before, which if you ask me is never the case with any artist.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Webbeh posted:

So, The Comatorium (the official TMV message board) got word from a MLB forum that sample copies of MLB The Show 12 (which include the song Zed & The Two Naughts) was at select Best Buys. Users across the forum called their local Best Buys to see if the game was demoed. One user, Shareeb, got confirmation of his Best Buy, drove over to the store, and recorded the song on his phone. Then, he got home and had to go to work, giving The Comatorium an eight-hour wait until he finally released the song above.

The song sounds a lot more like TMV, although obviously its poo poo quality (on par with the FTM leak for those who remember that) makes it hard to listen to the song in detail. However, this should dissuade some people who were worried guitar work was minimalist on the album.

Okay, this album is going to loving blow me away. This sounds like something from De-Loused with different (awesome) drumming.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Wow, I'm loving sold. That was great!

Hoof
May 17, 2009

Webbeh posted:

I didn't like The Malkin Jewel at first but now I can't stop listening to it. This, however, I liked instantly. Cedric sounds great and Parks is amazing. And watching their live videos has led me to believe that the band (as performers) is currently at its best. This video for example. Jesus Christ.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hoof posted:

This video for example. Jesus Christ.

Goddamn Deantoni is loving amazing

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Deantoni rocks my socks off. Even if he looks like a creeper.

And CHOO CHOO HYPE STATION INCOMING:

quote:

Source - NOCTOURNIQUETEARLY CONTENDER FOR ALBUM OF THE YEAR FROM ENDURING PROG-ROCK OUTFIT

Dave Hanratty, 29 Feb 2012

“I am a landmine, I AM A LANDMINE!” shrieks Cedric Bixler-Zavala, amidst the frenzied conclusion of ‘The Whip Hand’, a blistering opening salvo to sixth studio album Noctourniquet. It is a fervent reminder that rumours of The Mars Volta’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. When At The Drive-In burst back into life in January, breaking a 11-year silence and confirming a long overdue reunion, some concern arose amid the celebrations. What would become of The Mars Volta, one of the bands that sprang up from ATDI’s apparent demise? On the evidence of Noctourniquet, there’s little cause for alarm.

Their palate has always been a progressive combination of At The Drive-In’s intensity (employed more sparingly) and their own skill at weaving breathy, patient soundscapes. This latest effort harnesses that sound, delivering moments of propulsive aggression (‘Aegis’), thoughtful contemplation (‘Lapochka’) and haunting beauty (‘Empty Vessels Make The Loudest Sound’).

Like any experimental album, Noctourniquet is often demanding, but the rewards are plenty, not least Bixler-Zavala’s hypnotic vocals, which continue to amaze as they seamlessly flip from banshee-like wails to quiet refrains over the course of 65 minutes. As you pore over the dark nursery rhymes of ‘The Malkin Jewel’ and the emphatic title-track, his presence hits you harder than ever. The Texan is as challenging and uncompromising a presence as his band’s latest record. Music desperately needs frontmen like him right now..

So. loving. Hyped.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Tomorrow it will be March, and the wait will simultaneously feel much shorter, and hellishly long...

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
It's out there

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
And the wait suddenly isn't so bad after all. :D

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hmm suddenly I'm feeling kind of ill maybe I should work from home for the rest of the day

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Tomorrow it will be March, and the wait will simultaneously feel much shorter, and hellishly long...

This is hilarious reading from five hours in the future. LET THE BROMAR SIGNAL SHINE.

It's interesting to see how wildly different some of these tracks are from the live versions. I'm in a couple of songs in, so I can't say how I feel about it so far.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Avoided listening to any of the live songs, sort of glad I can go in without those preconceptions.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I assumed it leaked? I must ignore it. Octahedron was really unexciting due to the leaks. Won't let this be another Octahedron.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm at work and can't listen to it but one of my friends has it and she's posting about it on Facebook and it keeps coming up on my...well, not my news feed, but whatever that feed is on the right hand side of the screen above the chat section.

It's driving me loving crazy. I need to get off work so I can hear this thing :f5:

WASDF posted:

I assumed it leaked? I must ignore it. Octahedron was really unexciting due to the leaks. Won't let this be another Octahedron.

I never listened to a leak of Octahedron and I was still mostly unimpressed by it the first time I heard it. It's grown on me a little, but it's still my least favorite Volta album by far.

Quinoa
Sep 16, 2007
Perpetrating a Fraud
What the hell happened to Whip Hands?
The live version is pure evil in a good way; this not so much.
I'll forgive them for Empty Vessels; it's gorgeous. Doesn't sound like Omar's style but I guess that's what makes me keep coming back. 30 plus albums all different styles & feels.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Having just finished listening to the whole thing, all I can say for sure is the production is awesome (that snare sound is just spine-crushingly good), but also that I really miss Ikey :(

Not feeling it as much as the first time I heard De-Loused, but that's kind of a tall order. I do like it more than Octahedron already though.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
I'm probably suffering from new album syndrome, but I can't help but feel that this is their best material since Frances.

warzero.
Jan 4, 2007

Ooooh WEE, That's how I sound, so C'MON ERR-BODY LET'S ALL GET DOWN.
First listen, sounds a lot like Octahedron. I happened to love Octahedron, and while this is good, it hasn't really sunk in yet. Absolutely nothing has truly stood out to me besides 'In Absentia' which I think is a remarkable track.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

WASDF posted:

Pretty sure Octahedron was unexciting because it is an unexciting record.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Asnorban posted:

Avoided listening to any of the live songs, sort of glad I can go in without those preconceptions.

Same deal here. I just finished listening to it, and I loved it. It's gonna take a few more listens to really let it sink in, but I think it's really good. Sounds nothing like anything they've done before, which is sometimes a bit jarring, but you know, first listen.

Cedric sounds incredible on the title track, and Deantoni is goddamn all over the place and it's very cool.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

Pretty sure Octahedron was unexciting because it is an unexciting record.

That too, but I was talking about the release and first listen of it.

• Locked thread