Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Webbeh posted:

The band has described the album was 'future punk', which I believe is quite accurate. I'm hoping for noodlin' and some kick-rear end jamming, but I'm worried that we're going to get another Octahedron. It feels like TMV is really trying to appeal to the mainstream audience, despite the fact that The Widow (and their older slow songs) did quite well on mainstream radio.

I don't think it will sound anything like Octohedron. No one would describe Octohedron as "future punk", and I have a feeling this new album will sound like nothing they've ever done before, which is great.

Omar has released enough noodly Latin psychedlic fusion to keep our ears busy for the next decade I think it's good for TMV to move on to a new sound now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I think Day of the Baphomets from Amputechture is still one of the best songs TMV has ever done, and Meccamputechture is pretty good as well, but yeah I'd agree as an album it's not very musically cohesive compared to others, and the other tracks are good in parts but have a lot of weak spots.

Bedlam is their most consistantly "on" album IMO but these days if I am in the mood for that sort of music I will more likely listen to Omar's Old Money or one of his other albums. Cedric kind of grates on me after a while.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That Tetragrammaton cover is beautiful.

Sounds really rushed to me IMO

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Being TMV's drummer sounds like the best and worst job at the same time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The only time I've seen them was at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA which is a pretty large venue, and it was an amazing show. This was right after Frances came out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I love "Noctourniquet", Definitely a classic TMV style album title!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It reminds me a ton of the cover for Night Passage by Weather Report.

Similar name too, in a way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

It's definitely a well put together song (from what I can hear in that sample) but I'm not really feeling it. I guess I just like their proggy side more than anything. Still, I have good hopes for the rest of the album. I didn't like The Widow much either but loved most of the rest of Frances.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

^burtle posted:

Omar needs to quit hanging out with John Frusciante now that he has quit the Peppers and just gone off the loving experimental deep end.

The self-titled Omar + John album is awesome what are you talking about. Personally I would much rather Omar release more experimental solo albums and collabs instead of writing TMV ballads if that's what TMV is going to be.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

jeffreyheart posted:

this single reminds me of nick cave for some reason.

Yeah I agree with that. Still not a huge fan of it (not a big fan of Nick Cave either, except for a few songs) but I'm excited for the album.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Wait, is that saying that Omar recorded 20 albums in three years? :psyduck:

Yeah, that sounds a bit low.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

They are pretty much all awesome and quite varied. No idea how the hell he does it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Apocalypse Inside of an Orange is especially great, one of his best IMO, as is the Frusciante collab (though if you dislike abstract music you might not like it)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Relayer posted:

No, but it's insane if he regards his work with ATDI as being inferior.

What's insane about that? To us it's different styles of music but to him it's his past work versus his present and future work - I think it's pretty normal for a lot of artists to view their career as a progression in a direction of what they consider improvement, even if their audience prefers earlier works.

quote:

I think he's just too proud and probably too arrogant to admit that ATDI was simply better artistically than a lot of what he's done in the last 8-9 years.

Maybe he honestly feels that it isn't? Personally I like Omar's solo work a lot better than any ATDI album, I don't think it's hard to believe Omar feels the same way since he's the one making the music. Whether one sound is "artistically better" than the other is entirely subjective and I don't see how there's anything wrong with Omar making the same subjective judgements about his own work that everyone else does.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hoof posted:

This video for example. Jesus Christ.

Goddamn Deantoni is loving amazing

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hmm suddenly I'm feeling kind of ill maybe I should work from home for the rest of the day

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I think this is a really good direction. I love the more bold use of synths which goes really well with Deantoni's DnB influenced style. There are a few weak spots but overall it's a great album. Dyslexicon and Lapochna are awesome. The end part of Molochwalker is really sick too.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 2, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yrF posted:

On the leak... when will record labels realize that not releasing music for sale as it becomes available will result in leaks and piracy?

Well labels and musicians are increasingly realizing this, but in some cases leaks occur before the music is really "available" in the state that the musicians want the public to hear it - i.e. there may be more mixing or mastering work to do.

A lot of labels are clinging on to old ideas but TMV and Omar are usually pretty up to speed on this sort of thing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

After listening to the album, it really becomes clear just how perfect the art is.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Mars Volta have TV ads??

I've only seen the live once, but it was at them Greek Theatre in Berkeley and pretty much every show I've seen there has been sort of "magic". Even Manu Chau, and that dude just played the same song 10 times in a row.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah I do kind of half remember seeing a lovely Letterman performance by them. The vast majority of bands I see on Letterman tend to suck on there tho, even if I otherwise like their music. I think his set just has really terrible acoustics or something.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Rolodex Propaganda posted:

the string of covers they recorded during the Bedlam sessions are absolutely killer,

What are these? I think I missed this somwhow

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

nice, thanks!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bagsack posted:

Oh man, the drums on this album are what really makes Noctourniquet just another disappointing Volta album. Parks's performance feels incredibly uninspired as if he's just satisfied with officially being in the band now. Theodore's constant erection for linear drum beats is what rounded out that wanky, yet driven groove that made De-Loused and Frances the Mute great.

I disagree personally, I love the drums on this album, but your post reminds me of another subject which is, how much input do the musicians in TMV even have over their own parts? I thought that Omar wrote almost everything other than the words.

I recall an interview with him years ago where he described the recording process as "yeah, someone (a band member) will come over, I'll give them their part, and they'll execute it" and each part was done independently, so no one heard each others' parts until Omar strung them together or maybe when they started rehearsing for live performance.

Although maybe this was referring to the various ORL groups and not TMV? But I was under the impression that Omar was in general basically a Fripp-esque dictator and was responsible for every little thing, and just made sure to always have incredibly talented people in his bands to be sure that they could pull it off.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

llibja posted:

Got my pre-order in last night when the servers were getting hammered. Kinda sucks that we won't see it until June though. I might just have to buy a CD for the first time in a while.

Can't you just buy the digital version?

I can understand buying the vinyl edition due to the size of the art and all the extra poo poo, but there's not much point to CD's anymore.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WASDF posted:

I thought this had the most interesting production that TMV has turned out yet. I like it a lot :(

I like it a lot too, I agree Cedric's voice sounds a bit whack, but it always has. My only complaint is it could have a little more bass, especially the synth parts. Otherwise yeah I think it's a very well made album.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I would be very interested to see what Omar could do with an entirely different group of musicians. I love the TMV crew and the people who usually show up on his solo albums, but it'd also be great to see him try something really different like a more metal album or a straight up techno album. One of the most different albums is the ORL Trio album which is a more acoustic and traditional sound than his others, and that one is brilliant, so I'd love to see him take more steps away from the very electric guitar driven prog/psych sound, as much as I love it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 22, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Final Fart Buttball posted:

1. I'd never listened to it in a car before, and well, Bedlam does not pass the car test. There's barely any bass to speak of except for in a small handful of songs.

Yeah, this is really my biggest complaint about TMV in general, very little bass. I feel like it's especially an issue on the new album because the sound is more synth driven and lacks the fullness that the use of organs on previous albums at least kind of provided.

I rarely listen to Bedlam in it's entirely but Ilyena is a great track and I listen to that one on it's own all the time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The poor guy just lost his mother and is probably thinking about how his mother would be happier with him composing Spanish epics of infinite chaos, order, love, and death rather than retreading his posthardcore past.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

While I also love the proggy aspects of TMV, I'm not really worried at all because I'm sure Omar will continue to experiment in his various solo albums and ensembles and a lot of that is still very proggy, epic, experimental, etc.

I like some of his solo work and fusion groups even better than TMV for that reason, and many of his projects have a very similar lineup to TMV anyway.

It's too bad that he and Ximena broke up though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Intentionally making a mediocre album to send a message to a record company isnt exactly unheard of.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have to say though, if that was their intent I don't think they really got the message across. Octahedron wasn't so much poppy as it was just boring. A well executed Pop Mars Volta would probably be along the lines of a more condensed Viscera Eyes

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Is that his mom on the cover?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

This is awesome

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Webbeh posted:

Cedric is exactly the kind of person I'd expect to become entranced by Scientology. He's a great vocalist, but not the brightest bulb.

He's not really a great vocalist either. On occasion he sounds great, but he sounds like crap way way more often than a profesional singer should.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Isn't TMV always in turmoil internally? They've gone through a bunch of drummers and Omar sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to work for (and I'm pretty sure if you are a musician in TMV, Omar is your boss and also probably your cousin)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

NeuroticErotica posted:

The Mars Volta is Cedric + Omar
The Mars Volta band is whoever is around them at the time.

This kinda sums it all up.

Well sort of, there have also been ORL ensemble albums that Cedric did vocals on. (plus there was DeFacto but that project seems to have died with Ward)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I had somewhat mixed feelings about it when it came out, but I have been listening to Noctourtinquet a lot lately. It's very different from any other album they've done and from most of Omar's work and I kind of like it the best at this point. Omar's playing is so much more restrained than usual and I feel like with the drums and keyboards up front instead the compositions themselves are a lot clearer. There are still a lot of layers but the layers seem to work with each other better and are more subtle.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I honestly think Noctourniquet is the most interesting album they've done since Frances, and that's what I think is most sad about this. I like a lot of Omar's albums and Bosnian Rainbows seem pretty cool, I'm sure we'll hear many many more great albums from him and his crew and I'm sure Cedric will put something cool together as well. But to me it sounded like TMV had gotten stuck in a sort of rut and Noctourniquet was them actually breaking out of it and going in a new direction for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

WASDF posted:

Amputechture was the album I hated at first but loved later.

I feel exactly the opposite, I liked it quite a bit when it first came out but after repeat listens quickly grew to dislike every song other than Day of the Baphomets, which is still one of my favorite TMV songs

I only got to see them live once but it was a great show. Right after Frances came out, with Jon Theodore and Ikey still in the band, at the Greek Theater in Berkely

• Locked thread