Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I'm just starting to get into these guys. My friend gave me De-Loused and I love the poo poo out of it, mostly through Cedric's singing. I got Amputecture or whatever and it doesn't seem to be sticking with me as well, I don't like the production as much and I don't feel like Cedric gets as much of a chance to shine, he's by far my favorite part of the band. Is there another good album for Cedric singing?

Maybe you should check out At The Drive-In, Cedric and Omar's primary pre-Mars Volta band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

This is amazing news.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I was ambivalent about the first two Sparta records but Threes is an underrated gem. I thoroughly enjoyed Sleepercar too and Jim's solo EP wasn't half bad either. I wonder if this is a one-off tour or if they're going to record a new record. I hope they're back for good but I cannot imagine Omar sharing songwriting duties with anyone after he's been the boss for so long.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I actually didn't realize it was a song, too. Funny and topical - had been talking with someone about songs that aren't on their own album - Houses of the Holy and Sheer Heart Attack are the two we knew of. Guess that makes three with Frances the Mute!

Put "Soup" by Blind Melon on your list.

Isn't the song FTM on the vinyl version of that album?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

:psyduck: holy poo poo, that is not what I expected to hear at all.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Webbeh posted:

And for those At the Drive-In fans, Omar's phone interview with the BBC really explains why an ATDI reunion took so long (Omar) and what to expect (the energy is still there).

It's quite possibly the least-awkward Omar interview I've ever heard.

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff. So it seems like ATDI only has the Coachella show lined up right now and no current plans to record. :( Hopefully playing that show lights a fire under their asses and they get back to doing their thing in earnest.

Sparta's got a new record on the horizon too, I think, so it may be a while though.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Wazzit posted:

Well that's a downer. :(

I just got an e-mail from The Troubadour announcing that Sparta is playing a show May 22nd. I thought that Sparta had broken up, so that's news to me!

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/100987?utm_source=MEL&utm_medium=6333

Here's hoping there's a gigantic tour with everyone called THE MARSPARTATDRIVEIN TOUR.

Jim had a country band after Sparta called Sleepercar so we might as well put them on the bill too.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

I assumed it leaked? I must ignore it. Octahedron was really unexciting due to the leaks. Won't let this be another Octahedron.

Pretty sure Octahedron was unexciting because it is an unexciting record.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The youtube comments are saying that Cedric lost his mother last week so maybe that accounts for the subdued performance.

edit; oops, yeah, I meant Omar.

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 10, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Holy poo poo, that clip of them playing Arcarsenal. :stare:

There's really no other way to open their first show in 11 years. loving amazing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

youtube.com/coachella

ATDi set is streaming live. Supposed to go on at 9:10 p.m. PT (so like 29 minutes from now)

E: Maybe not; apparently the streams are down across the board. This station is non-operat--- :suicide:

I'm watching them kill it right now.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cedric used to really lay into the screams and shouts with ATDI but with the Mars Volta he actually sings. Seeing as how TMV is his main gig these days I doubt that he'd risk shredding his voice for this reunion. He's probably laying off the screams on purpose.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp3PrJJBRrw

Just watched this "Questions From Fans" video in which Cedric says that the lesson he took away from recording Noctourniquet was to make his songs shorter and more concise like the pop music he listens to. He said he thinks it's a special medium, to be able to fit all your ideas into just a few minutes and have them stand out and such.

So does this mean no more long, multi-part songs from TMV? Because I'd be disappointed if that were the case :smith:

De-Loused had this to an extent and it worked loving spectacularly there, and it works well enough on Noctourniquet too, but I'd definitely be sad if they never came out with another album like Frances The Mute or Amputechture, at least in structure.

Yeah, I think they're done progging out. Which is too bad because that is exactly what I love(d) about TMV.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Instantoxen posted:

cat doter, octahedron was an album that was intended to show the record company that 'pop mars volta' is stupid. The albums sold horribly, which is why they've come back with Noctourniquet.

What.

You're saying that they intentionally made a record that was subpar so that they could...

What.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Webbeh posted:

Best part: we'll be getting 13 albums over the next 13 weeks.

gently caress yes, Bromar.

Huh? I clicked the link and can't find anything on that. Am I blind or what?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Any word on these supposed thirteen records?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

That's really disappointing.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Cedric does seem to be about as judgmental and arrogant as Tom Cruise did in that Scientology video.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

The Mars Volta is Cedric + Omar
The Mars Volta band is whoever is around them at the time.

This kinda sums it all up.

Pretty much true but to get technical:

The Mars Volta = Cedric and Omar

The Mars Volta Group = anyone who contributes to their sound live or in the studio

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Octopus Kool Aid.

Of course, it is called Octopus Kool Aid.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

See, the thing I like about the Mars Volta is the noodlin', the long rear end jams, the sheer number of instruments fighting for my attention... I like it when the Mars Volta, you know, sounds like the Mars Volta. I guess those days are over though, seeing as how their last two have been so different and Omar is claiming that he will not be dictatorial in whatever they do next.

:smith:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

TMV had one amazing album, it was their first album, and then they had about 10-15 really good songs after that. Classic example of "This band doesn't sound like I want them to sound anymore!" but I do think we can ALL agree they never hit the heights of that first album again. Quality over quantity.

What is this poo poo? I love that record but Bedlam fuckin owns bones.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

We're lucky we got an ATDI reunion at all. "gently caress Omar"? Come on, guys. Grow up.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

TMV was Omar and Cedric. Without either of them there is no Mars Volta.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Webbeh posted:

Cedric has been very slow to write his vocals for the albums. Albums like Cryptomnesia sat without vocals for more than a year until Cedric got around to finishing the tracks. Heck, Omar wrote Noctourniquet back in.. 2009? 2010?

I'm not positive but it seems like there are another two albums worth of music awaiting Cedric's vocals from those same El Grupo Nuevo de Omar R-L sessions. We'll probably never hear that stuff, which I'm okay with since that record is nigh unlistenable.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

Crpytomnesia is one of Cedric's and Omar's best.

To each his own, I guess, but I found it to be an impenetrable blur. I say this as a fan of TMV and Hella.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

I wonder if it will have straight forward lyricism. I've never heard Cedric just say things that didn't require analyzing and I wonder why that is sometimes.

His lyrics in ATDI were as impenetrable as his TMV lyrics. And the lyrics he wrote for various Omar projects. I don't see why this new group would be any different.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

This stuff is surprisingly good.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's not bad but it sounds like regression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Deloused sounds fantastic but Omar didn't produce it therefore

• Locked thread