Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
This is a build thread for my Volksrod. The motor is a 1600cc from 1970. The body is from a bunch of different models. There is no suspension at all and no brakes on the front, just drums in the back. I bought it a year ago in partially finished form. The top was chopped, but the radii were not finished. The body was sectioned, but the shell was not attached to the pan. There is tons of rust. The motor was rebuilt but not installed. It does have nice new Coker white walls. For someone who has never worked on a volkswagen, this looked like a pretty intimidating project. But, I'm a professional welder in the theming industry, so at least I have the skills to do the metal work. My friend grew up in Communist Cuba so he has tons of shade tree mechanic skills (did you know you can use a plastic bag in place of teflon tape?), so he has been a huge asset for engine stuff.

Here she is the day I bought her.

Here is a quick illustration I did for the concept. I am kind of veering away from the bomber theme. I've seen more than a few military themed Volksrods, and it's sort of soured me on the idea. I saw one that had real rivets and panels and it made me realize mine would never be that nice so I abandoned the concept, but not before I made a bunch of B-52 things. I think I may do a Mad Max or zombie hunting buggy.

Guns for the roof. Made from misc aluminum tube and plate I had laying around. I also made the hatch for the top. The guns pivot on a system I made from the pedals from an old bicycle. The roof hatch opens in the back. It has plexi glass in the open parts. Eventually I will get a plexi dome for over the guns.

Here is the split windshield I did. I sort of makes the car have sad eyes.

H-bomb gas tank. Made from stainless steel pipe, caps and plate with a nice rusty cap. No back window, that's okay since I welded the channels for the door windows closed.

The engine is pretty sad right now. The wire from the ignition coil runs directly to the battery. I just disconnect it when I want it to stop running. I'm having fuel delivery issues possibly caused by a vacuum leak and/or problem with the electric choke. The generator may or may not work. This is where I really hit the wall. My car knowledge is really limited, so maybe some kind goons will help me out in the future.

The to-do list includes: brakes, floor, wiring, pedals, glass and probably a million other things. I don't expect this thing to be a DD, but I'd like to be able to drive to a car show or to the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I predict widely varying opinions of this. I think it looked awesome when you bought it, I'll wait to see how you finish it up... I like the windshield and gas tank, but I don't know about the roof.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
If you make the shifter handle about 3 feet taller, you will be well on your way.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I love this already.

Please tell me you're going to get a couple of belts of inert .50 cal ammo to run into your roof turret.

Also: some kind of whacky brush guard/zombie catcher on the front.

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007
Why have a port-hole that you can't even stand in?

Cool car though otherwise. I'd stay away from a military theme as well, but that gas tank is pretty cool. I'll definitely be following this thread :thumbsup:

VCR 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 14, 2011

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

VCR 2.0 posted:

Why have a port-hole that you can't even stand in?

obviously, the guns are remote operated. :colbert:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have the funniest feeling I know that car from the samba from a couple years back pre chopping. Unless there's tons of people running that spindle setup.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Does it not have front brakes? Its not only incredibly dangerous (front brakes do anywhere from 75-95% of total braking force), but there isn't a state that would let that go if even given a cursory glance.

No front brakes is early Model T poo poo.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Oh man things thing owns.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

DJ Commie posted:

It's not safe but it's been a trend on T-buckets and the like for years.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

OP if you forego front brakes you are required to use a trans brake. Also it needs to have accelerator and spark advance controls on the steering column

VCR 2.0
Oct 5, 2007

commissargribb posted:

obviously, the guns are remote operated. :colbert:

:doh: Oh man you should totally try and do this if it wasn't already planned OP!

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

meatpimp posted:

I predict widely varying opinions of this. I think it looked awesome when you bought it, I'll wait to see how you finish it up... I like the windshield and gas tank, but I don't know about the roof.

I pretty much assumed that. Volksrods in general are pretty polarizing. The guns unbolt in about 3 minutes and I'm going to make a flat piece that fits its place. Guns will be for shows and screwing around.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

I have the funniest feeling I know that car from the samba from a couple years back pre chopping. Unless there's tons of people running that spindle setup.

It definitely has been floating around quite a few owners. It used to be black and silver and had a terrible chop with an extra body line in it.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

VCR 2.0 posted:

:doh: Oh man you should totally try and do this if it wasn't already planned OP!

At work they have an old motor and gears from one of those gas station hot dog cookers. I've been eyeballing it for quite some time.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Contraband posted:

OP if you forego front brakes you are required to use a trans brake.
On a manual transmission?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I love it. these volksrods have always been something i was mildly interested in.

I want to chop the poo poo out of something weird too...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/2542892368.html

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
JC Whitney has a front disc brake kit for about $280. Anyone have any experience with one?

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

LobsterboyX posted:

I love it. these volksrods have always been something i was mildly interested in.

That would be the easiest chop ever. All of the posts are vertical.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Haha, he says right in the ad that he hopes no one chops it and turns it into a hot rod.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I want to build one of these so bad too.

No guns on mine though.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

ultimateforce posted:

No guns on mine though.

obviously, chainsaws would be cooler.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

commissargribb posted:

obviously, chainsaws would be cooler.

If I go Mad Max style, instead of any kind of back seat, I am going to go a pile of ammo boxes, chainsaws, axes, etc all hollowed out and welding into one piece.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

LobsterboyX posted:

(Quick and dirty)

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010
The headlights are mounted. I still need to wire them.

A gas pedal I made from a piece of 3x3 aluminum angle. And yes, that is the pan all bent up and missing in places.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
i think i love the split windshield the most. headlights look great too, although i have a thing for the huge 8" diameter plus lights from the 20s and 30s.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

VikingSkull posted:

It's not safe but it's been a trend on T-buckets and the like for years.

I haven't seen one that was ever driven anywhere except into shows off the trailer. It seriously would have about a 500ft 60-0 stopping distance. I did see a T-bucket crash into a Packard at a show beacuse rear brakes only don't hold cars well on wet grass. That guy probably wrote a $20K check for being a fuckwit.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
This is far and away the greatest thing I've seen in a long, long time.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Lowclock posted:

On a manual transmission?

(from here, pretty cool little applet on that site too!)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This thing looked pretty mean from the back in the early pic (with no engine installed). I don't understand the whole military theme/putting fake guns and such builds, but to each their own!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Contraband posted:

(from here, pretty cool little applet on that site too!)
That's not what almost all people would think of when you say trans brake.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

everdave posted:

This thing looked pretty mean from the back in the early pic (with no engine installed). I don't understand the whole military theme/putting fake guns and such builds, but to each their own!

I think the idea is to be more post apocalyptic and not quite so much military. I could be wrong though. I don't know any military vehicles that look anything like this and have a roof gun.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

DJ Commie posted:

I haven't seen one that was ever driven anywhere except into shows off the trailer. It seriously would have about a 500ft 60-0 stopping distance. I did see a T-bucket crash into a Packard at a show beacuse rear brakes only don't hold cars well on wet grass. That guy probably wrote a $20K check for being a fuckwit.

Deep down, I know you are right. It just looks cooler and is much cheaper to leave it as is but I know it won't look cool or be cheap when it's wrapped around a tree.

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

commissargribb posted:

I think the idea is to be more post apocalyptic and not quite so much military. I could be wrong though. I don't know any military vehicles that look anything like this and have a roof gun.

Post apocalyptic is the key word here. The guns will be removable, so in the end it will be a mad max looking car with an aluminum roof and a bunch of little spikey details.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
What is it like driving a car with no suspension?

Wouldn't even a small pothole bend your frame at speed?

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Tai-Pan posted:

What is it like driving a car with no suspension?

Wouldn't even a small pothole bend your frame at speed?

I have never driven it, actually. Hard tail motorcycles have no rear suspension. I've also seen tons of slammed cars with very little suspension travel on very low profile tires. I have very tall rear tires so we'll see how she rides (whenever I get her running?.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Can you explain this a little more? If the car's creeping forward when you rev and you're not in gear, or if it's creeping forward when you're in gear with the clutch depressed, then aren't your synchro/clutch systems failing?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

bidikyoopi posted:

Can you explain this a little more? If the car's creeping forward when you rev and you're not in gear, or if it's creeping forward when you're in gear with the clutch depressed, then aren't your synchro/clutch systems failing?
I would love to but I don't understand your question. This type of trans brake is automatic transmissions only as far as I know.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 16, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Are people getting confused with the brake you see on some 4x4s, where you run a drum or disk on either the output of the transmission or the diff nose, so you get the gearing effect of the diff as well? Because that's the only common thing I can think of that could be called a transmission brake, but there's no way to fit one to a Beetle drivetrain.

If you say "transmission brake" to me, yeah, I think of drag-racing autos. I suppose you could modify a manual to let you do a similar thing with the selector forks, but it really wouldn't serve the same purpose.

Honestly, I'd just fit front brakes. Stopping is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowclock posted:

This type of trans brake is automatic transmissions only as far as I know.

Absolutely correct. It doesn't make sense for a manual transmission since with those you can just leave it in gear with the clutch out, and just let out the clutch at whatever RPM you want. It's useful for automatics so they can rev up against the torque converter.

• Locked thread