Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
A friend of mine suddenly found AdBlockPlus screwing up her Firefox (things wouldn't load properly), but disabling ABP just overwhelms her browser with ads. Are there any other valid ad blocking add-ons for Firefox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Cornwind Evil posted:

A friend of mine suddenly found AdBlockPlus screwing up her Firefox (things wouldn't load properly), but disabling ABP just overwhelms her browser with ads. Are there any other valid ad blocking add-ons for Firefox?
Adblock Edge is a port of ABP without the "allow non-obtrusive ads" option, but since that's basically the same add-on the same issue may occur. I'd suggest fixing the root problem, if removing and reinstalling ABP doesn't fix it, use Reset Firefox. Otherwise more issues will likely crop up down the road.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You could always try out AdMuncher https://www.admuncher.com/

NOTE: I'm not a shill, I've never used this, I only saw a ghacks article about it once and went "oh neat".

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/19/free-version-of-ad-blocking-program-admuncher-now-available/

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I've been using Bluhell Firewall as my adblocker for the past few months. It uses up a lot less memory than AdBlock Plus, so it makes my browser feel a lot snappier, and is about 99.9% as effective (I've noticed are a couple of Facebook ads slipping through, but I don't care terribly). It does have a downside in that you can't customize what you whitelist or blacklist but otherwise I'm a fan.

Pikestaff fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 26, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pikestaff posted:

I've been using Bluhell Firewall as my adblocker for the past few months. It uses up a lot less memory than AdBlock Plus, so it makes my browser feel a lot snappier, and is about 99.9% as effective (I've noticed are a couple of Facebook ads slipping through, but I don't care terribly). It does have a downside in that you can't customize what you whitelist or blacklist but otherwise I'm a fan.

Look man, if I can't block Dick Trauma's or Kiddie Grinder's avatars, the addon is a non-starter for me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://textfiles.com/anarchy/CARDING/aicard.txt
Is one.

Here's the Firefox rendering:

Here's what it should look like with the DOS codepage (taken in Notepad++):

Western (IBM-850) works for this

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HalloKitty posted:

Western (IBM-850) works for this
That's one of the codepages that Firefox is removing support for.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://textfiles.com/anarchy/CARDING/aicard.txt
Is one.

Here's the Firefox rendering:

Here's what it should look like with the DOS codepage (taken in Notepad++):

Wouldn't it be possible to achieve a similar effect with a custom font?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Im_Special posted:

You could always try out AdMuncher https://www.admuncher.com/

NOTE: I'm not a shill, I've never used this, I only saw a ghacks article about it once and went "oh neat".

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/10/19/free-version-of-ad-blocking-program-admuncher-now-available/

I've used that for 10+ years. Works still well enough with all browsers I use, so I haven't botheres to switch to something else.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Most of the addons that I use have already been mentioned, except open with: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/open-with/?src=search

It's pretty nice for web development stuff.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Another new version, another new terrible feature, how can I get the Search Bar to work the old way? My issues with it is I have it defaulted to Google, but when I need to search multiple things on another engine, I used to do this by changing the default engine by drop down box then 'highlight the word' + 'S' key to do quick searches, now I have to go into even more menus just to change the default engine or use clicks instead of the shortcut way, also you can't middle click the different engines to open things in a new tab.

EDIT: Found a way to disable it.
1. about :config
2. browser.search.showOneOffButtons set this to false.
3. Restart the browser.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 1, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/context-search/ instead?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Im_Special posted:

Another new version, another new terrible feature, how can I get the Search Bar to work the old way? My issues with it is I have it defaulted to Google, but when I need to search multiple things on another engine, I used to do this by changing the default engine by drop down box then 'highlight the word' + 'S' key to do quick searches, now I have to go into even more menus just to change the default engine or use clicks instead of the shortcut way, also you can't middle click the different engines to open things in a new tab.

3. Restart the browser.

oh thank god. I didn't mind the new search feature in theory but it turns out I can't live without being able to highlight the word and search via the search engine of my choice like you mentioned.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
The old search had an icon that told you the current search engine. How do I get that back? It was dumb to remove it. If they give you half a dozen engines to choose from, it'd be nice to know the current one you have selected before you search for something.
I swear the UI designers live in a bubble.

Edit: well, thanks to the above posters setting browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false brings back the old behavior entirely, icon and all. I was hoping there was a way to keep the icon and also keep the new features. This works for now.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 3, 2014

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I've always used Context Search and I'm continuing to do so, so the change doesn't impact me. Maybe it's something other peeps would find useful too:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Aleph Null posted:

The old search had an icon that told you the current search engine. How do I get that back? It was dumb to remove it. If they give you half a dozen engines to choose from, it'd be nice to know the current one you have selected before you search for something.
I swear the UI designers live in a bubble.

Edit: well, thanks to the above posters setting browser.search.showOneOffButtons to false brings back the old behavior entirely, icon and all. I was hoping there was a way to keep the icon and also keep the new features. This works for now.

It does show it as soon as you select the search bar.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

That's one of the codepages that Firefox is removing support for.

Nuts, sorry, I didn't notice, I stopped upgrading firefox ages ago, because I got fed up with my addons breaking. I know this is stupid, so I'll probably get around to upgrading again soon, but it's just a chore, having to fix it all up again.

vv A pretty good idea

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 5, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

HalloKitty posted:

Nuts, sorry, I didn't notice, I stopped upgrading firefox ages ago, because I got fed up with my addons breaking. I know this is stupid, so I'll probably get around to upgrading again soon, but it's just a chore, having to fix it all up again.

I suggest you use the Extended Support Release.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
So every time I load an HTML5 video on youtube, the audio track starts twice.

Where do I start to try and figure out why that happens.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

IPvSH6T posted:

So every time I load an HTML5 video on youtube, the audio track starts twice.

Where do I start to try and figure out why that happens.
This seemed to happen frequently when I was using the Youtube Center greasemonkey script. Are you using that?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Is it adblockplus that has been broken by the latest ff update?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I'm on esr (31.2.0) and whenever I'm typing in the location bar it will automatically try to search or open a webpage before I'm finished typing. How do I make it stop doing this? Google hasn't been much help.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Disgustipated posted:

This seemed to happen frequently when I was using the Youtube Center greasemonkey script. Are you using that?

Appears to have been the YoutubeHD extension.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Has anyone else had an issue where right clicking a flash video (IE youtube or twitch) to bring up the flash player context menu results in hanging firefox, an eventually an unresponsive script error?

I reset firefox and all my plug ins but it still seems to occur.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I updated to 34.0.5 and now Firefox won't launch. firefox.exe stays in the process list for ~3 seconds before disappearing, even if launched with -safe-mode. Launching the profile manager (-p) also fails. What do I do here?
EMET was silently breaking it. Cool stuff.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Im_Special posted:

3. Restart the browser.

Thanks for this: I thought I was going to be stuck using 33.1.1 for a while until that was sorted out. Good to see Mozilla is putting in ways to revert the browser back to standard without waiting for someone to make an extension to do it.

stratego
May 6, 2007

stratego posted:

Has anyone else had an issue where right clicking a flash video (IE youtube or twitch) to bring up the flash player context menu results in hanging firefox, an eventually an unresponsive script error?

I reset firefox and all my plug ins but it still seems to occur.

Woo, Flash updated and now it seems to work properly.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Im_Special posted:

3. Restart the browser.

I did this and now all my search engines appear twice in the search box drop menu. (Not doubled up, the full list is just there twice.) Doesn't bother me too much because all the keyword shortcuts still work, but it's there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
A great little add-on I found for dealing with all the search engines I have installed in the search bar is Scroll Search Engines which lets you use your mousewheel to scroll through all of them.

It really should be default behaviour for Firefox to do this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of search engines, how do you add a keyword now (34.0)?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

stratego posted:

Woo, Flash updated and now it seems to work properly.

Odd, the flash plugin doesn't seem to be working for me at all in Firefox 34.

Edit: Webm videos won't play either.

Edit2: Reverted to 33.1 and my plugins all work again.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

Speaking of search engines, how do you add a keyword now (34.0)?

You can't do it with the new interface right now. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106559

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Applebees posted:

You can't do it with the new interface right now. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1106559

Sure you can: right-click the search box you want a keyword for and click "Add a Keyword for This Search...".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Sure you can: right-click the search box you want a keyword for and click "Add a Keyword for This Search...".

That works, but now there's a stupid "Search YouTube" thing sitting in my bookmarks. The other way didn't cause this.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have never before been mad about a Firefox update, but the last one changed my default search engine to Yahoo without asking me. That's pretty loving annoying.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never before been mad about a Firefox update, but the last one changed my default search engine to Yahoo without asking me. That's pretty loving annoying.
I didnt think that I would, but I have slowly been using ddg more and more.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

FRINGE posted:

I didnt think that I would, but I have slowly been using ddg more and more.

Why?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I havent run tests or anything, but it seems like I get less shopping links and slightly more varied sources for whatever random thing I am looking up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd read somewhere that they were going to do that. At least you have the option to fix it. gently caress Yahoo.

I upgraded to 34, but Flashblock didn't work, so I went back to 33.1.1.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
The only area I've found DDG to be appreciably worse than google is searching exact phrases like quotes or code snippets; and maybe images. For just general searching it's on par or better with a cleaner feel.