Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah I would at least try deleting your cookies.sqlite file to let it re-generate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well, I guess I could at least try doing that. At least now I know that you're not supposed to get logged out of Twitter between browser restarts.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, at least after the refresh I'm still logged in to twitter. Great success??

e: also after several restarts while reinstalling extensions and user scripts :yayclod:
e2: flickr login also works :unsmith:

Wheany fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2016

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So how I can figure out if e10s is on or off in my browser? And does the browser report if some addons don't work or what.. I don't really get this thing :downs:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

So how I can figure out if e10s is on or off in my browser? And does the browser report if some addons don't work or what.. I don't really get this thing :downs:

Go to about :support and then look at the line that says Multiprocess Windows. For me it says 0/2 (disabled) but no information on why it is disabled or not.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Geemer posted:

Go to about :support and then look at the line that says Multiprocess Windows. For me it says 0/2 (disabled) but no information on why it is disabled or not.

Thanks. Seems I succeeded in trying to enable it, but it didn't work out: 0/2 (Enabled by user)

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to set the default behaviour when clicking the downloads toolbar button, such that it shows the library and full download manager rather than the cut down and annoying small version? (Ie the kind you get when you press Ctrl-J). Googling this has been fruitless because of the deprecated browser.download.useToolkitUI setting spamming up the results, along with the "how do I find where things downloaded to?" hurfadurfing.

I've lived with it, but it's getting to be a pain in the rear end.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I force-enabled e10s with some toggle and now it says it's enabled. Thing seem to work fine.. so far. And the browser feels more responsive. Perhaps I'll run into problems later!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ihmemies posted:

Well I force-enabled e10s with some toggle and now it says it's enabled. Thing seem to work fine.. so far. And the browser feels more responsive. Perhaps I'll run into problems later!

#YOLO, as the kids say these days

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ihmemies posted:

A few forum threads gave me problems so I switched back.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Squish posted:

Is there any way to set the default behaviour when clicking the downloads toolbar button, such that it shows the library and full download manager rather than the cut down and annoying small version? (Ie the kind you get when you press Ctrl-J). Googling this has been fruitless because of the deprecated browser.download.useToolkitUI setting spamming up the results, along with the "how do I find where things downloaded to?" hurfadurfing.

I've lived with it, but it's getting to be a pain in the rear end.

I use an addon called Download Manager Tweak. It lets you move the download window into a tab, the side effect of which is that clicking the button just takes you to that tab. Also lets you faff with the appearance of the download tab a bit.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Well, at least after the refresh I'm still logged in to twitter. Great success??

e: also after several restarts while reinstalling extensions and user scripts :yayclod:
e2: flickr login also works :unsmith:

gently caress, it's doing it again. I'm not going to refresh the browser again, I don't want to install all my user scripts and styles again.

I guess I'm using Chrome for both Twitter and Facebook now.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Wheany posted:

gently caress, it's doing it again. I'm not going to refresh the browser again, I don't want to install all my user scripts and styles again.

I guess I'm using Chrome for both Twitter and Facebook now.

Did you walk through the steps in the OP? There's something going on with your setup, and it's likely an extension or setting you have.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I decided to install the beta so that I could try electrolysis. I enabled it and about:support shows multiprocess windows with a non-zero value. Everything has worked so far, but two things confuse me:
Process explorer shows only one Firefox process and
The process is using significantly less memory than I've used to seeing (private bytes) (now: less than half a gig vs over a gig it was using almost immediately after startup)

It using less memory is of course good, I just don't understand why. Then again, I've only been using it for about a day, so i don't have that much experience with it yet.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
One thing that would almost 100% guaranteed crash Firefox previously was opening 20-30 flickr photo pages (doctor, it hurts when I do this), so I decided to try that. Nothing. Still using under half a gig of memory after I closed the tabs, and the browser stayed a lot more responsive throughout the test.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Is NPAPI actually now deprecated on Linux then?

I installed Fresh Player which is an NPAPI->PPAPI wrapper that lets me use Chrome's pepper flash, then I tried to install pipelight so that I could use Silverlight. The former is showing up but not the latter.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I re-ran my flickr torture test and I noticed that plugin-container.exe was using almost 3 gigs of memory before a bunch of tabs crashed.

But it was only the tabs that crashed, not the whole browser. And more importantly, I'm still logged into Twitter, for example. I'm definitely loving this so far.

e: apparently firefox uses plugin.container.exe for both plugins and the content process of the tabs.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Lum posted:

I installed Fresh Player which is an NPAPI->PPAPI wrapper that lets me use Chrome's pepper flash, then I tried to install pipelight so that I could use Silverlight. The former is showing up but not the latter.
I don't think so, at least not on the release channel. I've still got vanilla Flash installed which I'm pretty sure is NPAPI and it's still working.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Knormal posted:

I don't think so, at least not on the release channel. I've still got vanilla Flash installed which I'm pretty sure is NPAPI and it's still working.

Flash is literally the only outside NPAPI plugin allowed in Win64 Firefox because we are all dead and this is Hell.

EDIT: OpenH264 and Adobe EME might be NPAPI plugins too but either way they're delivered by Mozilla itself.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Flash is literally the only outside NPAPI plugin allowed in Win64 Firefox because we are all dead and this is Hell.

EDIT: OpenH264 and Adobe EME might be NPAPI plugins too but either way they're delivered by Mozilla itself.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Welp.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Lum posted:

not afaik, but if it's any consolation, Widevine is getting included in 47 so you should see fewer things still wanting Silverlight

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also Linux has some other NPAPI plugins still (like OpenJDK and things, ergh) - it's just that Adobe doesn't care about Flash on Linux anymore as of a couple years ago, back when it was version 11 still (and Google only cares insofar as it gets people using Chrome), and other plugins people MIGHT find useful like Unity never found their way to Linux, and now that HTML5 and asm.js are sort of things no one's had good reasons to make new plugins anymore (they may have lovely and/or selfish reasons to make or mandate them, though).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

astral posted:

not afaik, but if it's any consolation, Widevine is getting included in 47 so you should see fewer things still wanting Silverlight

Sky Go needs Silverlight still, and their webshite advises people to get rid of Chrome and use IE or Firefox.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Good lord; are there any broadcast services in the Anglosphere that aren't jabberwocks?

Fuckers will probably respond to the rise of 64-bit Firefox and the fall of Internet Explorer with 'abandon your general-purpose computer for a phone - and make it a Samsung because GCHQ and the NSA have got those sorted free features or something we don't know they'll figure it out'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 6, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, they made a working video player once in 2005 and they have used the same content creation pipeline since then. It is kind of a big pain in the rear end to remake it, so maybe if they put fingers in their ears and shout lalalalala, the future won't happen.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

47 is out, FTP only atm

https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/47.0/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

So I may have messed up a while ago and deleted my Firefox DRM plugin. Is there a way to get it back? Google isn't showing me any downloads, just ways to uninstall it. I'm currently using Firefox 47, if this helps, but it was already uninstalled at least when I was using Firefox 45.

edit: Although this may not actually be important, as I can't seem to figure out if Widevine CDM is actually installed or not. Is there a way to check if it is? Because if it is, I don't need the old DRM plugin.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 7, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

So I may have messed up a while ago and deleted my Firefox DRM plugin. Is there a way to get it back? Google isn't showing me any downloads, just ways to uninstall it. I'm currently using Firefox 47, if this helps, but it was already uninstalled at least when I was using Firefox 45.

edit: Although this may not actually be important, as I can't seem to figure out if Widevine CDM is actually installed or not. Is there a way to check if it is? Because if it is, I don't need the old DRM plugin.

I imagine a fresh install should bring it back if it's missing. Primetime (CDM for Adobe DRM) and Widevine (CDM for Google DRM) would show up under the "Plugins" tab of the addons manager.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

astral posted:

I imagine a fresh install should bring it back if it's missing. Primetime (CDM for Adobe DRM) and Widevine (CDM for Google DRM) ought to show up under the "Plugins" tab of the addons manager.

I just upgraded to Firefox 47 (via direct from FTP, granted), and it's not in the Plugins tab. It seems like it's working, because I can watch Netflix and entries for Widevine being enabled appear in about :config, but the rest is baffling me. Both the Adobe plugin and Widevine DLLs are in the profile folder, which only adds to the confusion.

I would like to avoid wiping the slate clean and starting over, if possible.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 7, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

I just upgraded to Firefox 47 (via direct from FTP, granted), and it's not in the Plugins tab. It seems like it's working, because I can watch Netflix and entries for Widevine being enabled appear in about :config, but the rest is baffling me. Both the Adobe plugin and Widevine DLLs are in the profile folder, which only adds to the confusion.

I would like to avoid wiping the slate clean and starting over, if possible.

Well, you could check if they're listed in a new profile.

Other than that, you could probably test your current one with something on Amazon's streaming service - if it plays something but doesn't ask you to use Silverlight, you've got Widevine. Their help docs suggest this free video as a test: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU71GY4/

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

astral posted:

Well, you could check if they're listed in a new profile.

Other than that, you could probably test your current one with something on Amazon's streaming service - if it plays something but doesn't ask you to use Silverlight, you've got Widevine. Their help docs suggest this free video as a test: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU71GY4/

Ah, it seems to be working. It doesn't ask for Silverlight, defaults in video quality to Auto instead of SD, and the page itself claims that I own the video in HD. The player itself doesn't give me a clear read on if Auto in this case means HD, but things seem to be in order.

What I guess I can take away from this is that it appears to be working but can only be flipped on and off in about :config. Testing it with the Adobe plugin turned off in about :config, it still plays with Widevine turned on, so mystery solved.

Thanks for your help, this was bothering me more than it should have.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 7, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ironically, it seems that the Adobe DRM is needed for Netflix, but Netflix won't recognize and use Widevine. Which sucks, because Widevine is needed for 1080p.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

RZApublican posted:

Ironically, it seems that the Adobe DRM is needed for Netflix, but Netflix won't recognize and use Widevine. Which sucks, because Widevine is needed for 1080p.

I was under the impression that Netflix only supports 1080p in browsers with PlayReady (Microsoft's DRM, available in IE11/Edge).

edit: or Apple's FairPlay (Safari on OSX)

reference: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

astral fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 7, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone else have aliasing problems on text on 46.0.1 64bit? As soon as I updated suddenly all text is unaliased and it's really frustrating. Been looking all day and haven't found anything concrete.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

RZApublican posted:

Try unchecking "Play DRM content" in the Content panel. It should delete any downloaded CDMs. Maybe restart the browser, and then check "Play DRM content" again. The Adobe and Google CDMs should download automatically.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

https://asadotzler.com/2016/06/06/firefox-48-beta-release-and-e10s/

Interesting article on how they are going to roll out E10s after Firefox 48 is released. Cool stuff.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

https://asadotzler.com/2016/06/06/firefox-48-beta-release-and-e10s/

Interesting article on how they are going to roll out E10s after Firefox 48 is released. Cool stuff.

quote:

The groups that will have to wait a bit for E10S account for about half of our release users and include Windows XP users, users with screen readers, RTL users, and the largest group, extension users.)

Half of the Firefox user base don't use any extensions?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

From many a moon ago, but

~Coxy posted:

How do you turn off the new "Visit Site X" always appearing at the top of the list of suggestions in the URL bar?

Hargrimm posted:

browser.urlbar.unifiedcomplete to false

thanks for this - not only did it remove that annoying behaviour but it also fixed a bug that had turned up recently where sometimes I could only type one letter into the URL bar and Firefox would just immediately search Google for that letter without me getting a chance to stop it. No idea why, and didn't matter how slowly I selected the URL bar or pressed the letter. Oh well!

Tamba posted:

Half of the Firefox user base don't use any extensions?

Maybe half use no incompatible extensions?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've tried to use e10s, but even supposedly shimmed extensions like Flashblock cause it to be disabled. I feel that extension users are going to be waiting the longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe half use no incompatible extensions?

Surprisingly enough, 40% use no addons whatsoever: http://www.ghacks.net/2016/01/06/surprise-40-of-firefox-users-dont-use-add-ons/