Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Will firefox ever handle missing image placeholders correctly again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

FRINGE posted:

Will firefox ever handle missing image placeholders correctly again?
How does the current behavior differ from what you expect?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Alereon posted:

How does the current behavior differ from what you expect?

This: browser.display.show_image_placeholders

... does not seem to do what it claims. I can open something at work in IE and it shows the broken/missing placeholder. Firefox shows nothing.

There are a variety of sometimes-working hack-fixes floating around*, but this seems to have persisted for a while (mid 2000s?) with no good response.

* some of many:

http://megashare.altervista.org/blog/2012/08/enable-broken-image-placeholders-in-firefox/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1694937/firefox-show-broken-images

http://www.deuxcode.com/articles/102/show-broken-image-placeholders-in-firefox

People are still trying to replace this basic function:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/show-picture/

... but stacking addon after addon is not ideal at work.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

FRINGE posted:

This: browser.display.show_image_placeholders

... does not seem to do what it claims. I can open something at work in IE and it shows the broken/missing placeholder. Firefox shows nothing.
That setting relates to showing image placeholders while the image is downloading. I just tested and broken image placeholders are working correctly in Firefox 28. Note that obviously a width and height must be specified in the HTML for a broken image frame to appear, and the broken image icon will be suppressed if alt-text is specified, for accessibility reasons.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
I use the following userstyle and it works fine for me.
code:
@-moz-document url-prefix(http), url-prefix(https), url-prefix(ftp), url-prefix(file) {
  img:-moz-broken {
    -moz-force-broken-image-icon: 1;
/*  If you always want to collapse the image size:
    width: 24px;
    height: 24px;
*/
  }
}
Though if the image lacks size attributes it'll collapse down to 24x24px and you won't be able to read the alt text.*

It used to be the case that if a broken image had no alt text it still wouldn't show an icon, giving no indication there was supposed to be an image there. That was an issue on these forums because Waffle Images. It seems that behaviour's changed in Firefox now, though I still prefer the old (old) way of always having the icon and border visible to make it obvious that something's missing.

* I also use a greasemonkey script that copies the alt text to the title attribute if no title is present so the alt text will appear as a tooltip.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Implied Consent posted:

I use the following userstyle and it works fine for me.

Works perfectly for me, thanks. It also seems more lightweight than the other solutions I've seen flying around.

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
I just installed waterfox and whenever I open a new tab instead of going to the cool new 9x9 grid of bookmarks it just says "The address isn't valid" and displays an error. Any ideas on how to make it go to the bookmark grid thing?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SteviaFan420 posted:

I just installed waterfox and whenever I open a new tab instead of going to the cool new 9x9 grid of bookmarks it just says "The address isn't valid" and displays an error. Any ideas on how to make it go to the bookmark grid thing?

Is Waterfox working again? I always had a problem with it never updating automatically. Plus I just want to use a 64-bit browser.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is Waterfox working again? I always had a problem with it never updating automatically. Plus I just want to use a 64-bit browser.

I went with Cyberfox after a while as it updated a bit more regularly.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Waterfox is generally stable for me,the only issue with it is sometimes SA forrums can load a bit.. weird or corrupted looking . dosent happen in any other webpage, and a reload page usually fix it but it can get annoying .

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009
I went to about:config and it shows newtabs opening to about:newtab but when i type that in, i get the "The URL is not valid and cannot be loaded" error. Whats the deal with that?

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm on Firefox 28 now, and before for that had been years since I updated. For some reason I feel like in the past months (around the time I upgraded) I've had to increase the text size to make things more comfortably readable.

I'm only 28, so has Firefox made their default text size smaller, or is this something Firefox has no control over? Feelin' a bit :corsair: at the moment :/

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Its probably because you're 28. :(

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I guess things could be worse :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Firefox dicked around with font & page scaling at some point. As a result everything looked smaller for me, and I couldn't make everything the same as earlier.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is anyone else running Firefox 29 beta and finding it to be crashing a lot more than usual? Like multiple times per day.
I haven't added any extensions recently.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
30's been crashing on me once or twice daily for the last week, half the time followed with a Windows crash notification involving the plugin container. Haven't changed anything in user land either.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I just went to About Firefox and it upgraded to Firefox 29, isn't that a day early?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Merkinman posted:

I just went to About Firefox and it upgraded to Firefox 29, isn't that a day early?

Mine just updated too. The Chromification of Firefox continues unabated, it would seem.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Tried to give it the benefit of a the doubt, but installed Classic Theme Restorer in less than a minute. It really feels like Google threw a bunch of money at them to make it look as much like Chrome as possible to make people think that is 'how a web browser should look', thus killing off other web browsers that are not Chromeish.

Now if only I could find a way to remove the animations from when you open the bookmark menu or such. It's slight, but it is drat annoying to someone that turns off all animations by default.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

jeeves posted:

Tried to give it the benefit of a the doubt, but installed Classic Theme Restorer in less than a minute. It really feels like Google threw a bunch of money at them to make it look as much like Chrome as possible to make people think that is 'how a web browser should look', thus killing off other web browsers that are not Chromeish.

Now if only I could find a way to remove the animations from when you open the bookmark menu or such. It's slight, but it is drat annoying to someone that turns off all animations by default.

Is this what your looking for?

And yeah put me in the camp that tried to like it but had to install Classic Theme Restorer, poo poo's awful.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jeeves posted:

I work in software development and we are constantly told that animations that don't convey any information are the worst kind of waste. It uses user time and system resources to be "fun" in an application that has no reason to be trying to have a "fun" gui.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Im_Special posted:

Is this what your looking for?

And yeah put me in the camp that tried to like it but had to install Classic Theme Restorer, poo poo's awful.

No, that's the animation of "Oh hey that thing you bookmarked it just got put into the bookmark menu button! Boing!" Which is a terrible Safari type animation.

I mean the like half second downward "menu is SPAWNINGGG!" animation that seems very odd and pointless.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm on Kubuntu and it doesn't seem to be in the repos yet for me. :shrug: I'm actually curious to see this overhaul. I'm going to give it an honest try before I run to Classic Theme Restorer. I did the same when they revamped the Download Manager and I actually ended up liking it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Only thing I like out of this crap is that the new Classic Theme Restorer has some neat new options I never knew of before, like making the address bar smaller vertically or such.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
I'd be willing to be give 'Australis' more of a shot if I could move the hamburger menu to the left of the screen. Am I missing an option, or it is locked to the right-hand side and that is that?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I fear change, and sacrifice chickens to Classic Theme Restorer. I reset to stock Aurora several days ago, hoping to diagnose the cause of the crashes I've been experiencing, but it was such a shock that I said 'gently caress it!' and restored my old prefs very shortly afterward.

In my internal metaphor, tabs and their contents are dependent on the whateverbar and other toolbars, and are therefore situated beneath them, like pages on a legal pad. It doesn't help that my eyes have been long since trained to ignore the contents of the title bar, and since the pages and tabs are the bits of the UI that I'm using mostly, I can generally ignore everything above them in a 'classic' interface except when I need to plug something in to the not-command line.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jeeves posted:

It really feels like Google threw a bunch of money at them to make it look as much like Chrome as possible

That's pretty ridiculous, even if the UI design were for sale. :tinfoil:

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I work in software development and we are constantly told that animations that don't convey any information are the worst kind of waste. It uses user time and system resources to be "fun" in an application that has no reason to be trying to have a "fun" gui.

Who's telling you that? What use cases are they testing? I haven't worked on Firefox for almost 3 years, but I indirectly managed the Firefox UX team for a while, and they were very much into the evidence-based UI design approach. I pretty much only ever heard them asking for efficient ways to do *more* animation, to improve user understand of what happened.

Animations are a great way to mask response time, and even beyond that make interfaces feel more responsive. It also gives better cues in many cases about what's happening. Think of tab dragging: seeing the tabs slide to make space is much better than flashing to the new state as you drag, since it's easier to tell what has changed. Motion is also a much better tool than color for drawing transient attention to something. The data on that is pretty clear, not that "fun" is a bad thing.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Am I the only weirdo that likes Australis? It's really clean and simple.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

I like it a lot so far, only took a few minutes to get used to it. Is there a way to cut down the empty space on top when you have it set to hide the titlebar?

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Fangs404 posted:

Seems fine to me. I have a couple add-ons that need to get updated to work a little better now that there's no add-on bar, but otherwise it's nice.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

magimix posted:

I'd be willing to be give 'Australis' more of a shot if I could move the hamburger menu to the left of the screen. Am I missing an option, or it is locked to the right-hand side and that is that?

It's on the right-hand side in Chrome, so you see...

I'm a Tree Style Tab user (the only thing keeping me with Firefox) so the Australis changes are fairly minimal for me. I'd like to get rid of the title bar, but it doesn't look like I can, because there's no tab bar on top to take the place of it. The hamburger menu is basically the same thing as the old Windows 7 style "Firefox" button, so I guess I just have to get used to it being on the other side of the window.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 29, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, Tree Style Tabs got updated recently! It broke for me a long while back, and I stopped checking for updates after a couple of months. drat, I've missed it.

There seems to be a similar add-on for Chrome, but I've no idea how well it compares to the Firefox one.

Copland
Apr 27, 2014

Fangs404 posted:

I think it's really cool. I especially like that only the selected tab looks like a tab. Everything else is just part of the title bar. Or at least that's how I see it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

hope and vaseline posted:

I like it a lot so far, only took a few minutes to get used to it. Is there a way to cut down the empty space on top when you have it set to hide the titlebar?

Maximize your browser. Not that I actually recommend maximizing a browser window in 2014.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maximize your browser. Not that I actually recommend maximizing a browser window in 2014.

I maximize my browser but I also have a 1366 x 768 screen so.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Count me in with the "Australis is alright by me" crew.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/australis-slimmr/?src=cb-dl-updated makes it better though!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I like Australis on OSX, not a huge fan of the new menu on Windows but it's not that horrible or anything,=.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I like Australis. I only wish ChromaTabs Plus worked with it. It's pretty much the only add-on I feel I really need apart from Locationbar2. Being able to determine tabs for sites at a glance because of their colour is super useful to me. I know there's Colorful Tabs but it reuses the same five colours for everything, kind of making it pointless.

Aside from that, I like Australis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
:argh: Firefox 29. I just updated and hate Australis. 30 minutes and 3 new extensions later (and a couple beta extension versions), and I have things mostly back to the way they were before.

Is there any way to get rid of the stupid little messages that appear in the address bar when you open a new blank tab? Never mind that was another addon.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 29, 2014