Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Maybe by Firefox 9 they'll have fixed what happens if you View Source giant (40MB) SVGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

xamphear posted:

Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
It probably shouldn't take an infinite amount of RAM (and crash FF) to display 40MB of text

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

mikewozere posted:

This keeps coming up at the bottom of most pages too...

I don't remember installing anything.
are you sure it isn't an ad on the page

also, post all of your extensions.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

and the fact that they're busy making it look like Chrome instead of making it not take a terabyte of ram to run sometimes.
They've been working on memory usage constantly since FF4, though

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

How the hell do I switch update channels?

I installed the FF7 beta and now it's trying to get me to update to 8.0, but I want to just go to 7.0.1.

Changing app.update.channel to release did nothing, it still says I'm on the beta channel.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

The upside is that this reduces memory leaked during their tests by 80%, the downside is that buggy code that would have previously caused a leak may now throw an exception, which could break some things. They have about 18 weeks until this hits the release channel though (6 each in Nightly, Aurora, Beta), which should be enough time for add-on authors to find and fix breakage.
I think you might be overestimating the abilities of many addon authors.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

aunaturale posted:

So I know that not all websites honor the "Do not track" header but with Firefox having the option checked seems to do nothing. My ads are just as targeted as when it's turned off; other browsers seem to essentially eliminate it.

I'm running 12.0. Any ideas?
The first issue is the fact that you thought it would do anything
The second is that none of Google's advertising systems honor the DNT header and won't until later this year. Plenty of other places don't honor it, too.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Probably in 2016, knowing Adobe

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Zhentar posted:

I don't know enough about how it works to say why it's not symbolicating for you.
Comment on the extension says that it ceased to work on the FF14 nightlies, so presumably it's broken for >FF13 versions.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

halokiller posted:

Echoing the flash problems. Youtube gets unresponsive from time to time and I have so many issues with full-screening (though that may be because of my dual-monitor setup).
When YouTube gets unresponsive, just kill plugincontainer and reload the page.

And not really relevant to this thread, but what's the good alternative to Thunderbird? I'm not surprised at all that they're more or less dropping it since they've never seemed to be working on it as much as they did on Firefox.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Related: He basically hates everything.
Also that Neowin article is poo poo since it calls him a Firefox dev and doesn't give any evidence for him being one. A Mozilla employee, sure, but not a Firefox dev. He seems to be a UI designer/developer from what I can find.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Did you try disabling protected mode?

Downgrading comes with a whole host of risks, particularly the potential for opening yourself to exploits that the new versions fixed.
Uh, disabling protected mode comes with a ton of risks too.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

For some reason Firefox 14's new theme makes me feel like the font rendering used in tab titles sucks.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

80.91 MB ── heap-allocated
  186.61 MB ── heap-committed
  105.69 MB ── heap-committed-unused
    130.60% ── heap-committed-unused-ratio

They really need a compacting GC.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Just disable history completely, problem solved.

(I haven't had history enabled for years.)

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

x64 builds also double the size of pointers, which means many objects are now larger, which means worse memory usage and more memory fragmentation issues.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I wish there was an easy way to file enhancement requests instead of needing to use their terrible and confusing bugzilla. I just want an image resizing algorithm that doesn't look like poo poo :(

edit: oh hey there's a bug on this from 2009 lemme check it o
https://bug486918.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=603167 :nws:
:stare:
how did they let this get into the bugzilla

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 30, 2012

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Both of these are still a problem. Can anyone propose a different solution?
Have you done Reset Firefox (in about :support) or made a new profile?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

hobb posted:

Well that update seems to lock my browser up on any flash content
I'm getting this same issue. It takes ~8-10 minutes to load a YouTube video page; FF doesn't terminate Flash like it should and plugin-container can't be terminated.

Great job, Adobe.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

e: gently caress.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Constantly trying to force new visual habits on old users is loving dumb. Improve functions, add features, stop trying to shove the sperg-of-the-month aesthetic on people that just want to use a program instead of jack off about how new their cutting edge alpha test version is.
You know that tabs on top is objectively better, right? You can think it looks worse or whatever, but it is unquestionably more efficient.

FRINGE posted:

This stupid thing worked so (relatively stable anyway) well back in the version 3's.
Have you actually used those versions recently, or are you just talking about the 'good old days'?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

You mind explaining that a bit?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts's_law
I suppose they would be equal if you only had any taskbar/dock on the sides of your screen instead of bottom but nobody does that.
Tabs on top means my tabs are currently 135 pixels wide and infinite pixels tall (starting 25 pixels from top of screen). Tabs on bottom means they would be 25 pixels tall, since I can no longer just flick my cursor to the corner of the screen.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

And if they manage to get the compacting GC into Firefox 18 (Jan 2013) like they're planning, then long-term performance should get much better. Right now my desktop's FF with only about​:memory open has 110% overhead on the JS heap, wasting 117MB of memory. A compacting GC means that fragmentation (causing memory to be held on to forever) will no longer be an issue. As far as I know, memory fragmentation is the main reason FF slows down the longer it's open and being used.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

So today I got a weird message for the first time from Windows Defender, titled "Review the files that Windows Defender will send to Microsoft (Important)"

It contains "Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe" and "Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe".
This was shortly after firefox autoupdated to 16.0.2.

Anyone has any idea what's going on with this? (I am on Windows 7 x64 SP1).
Pretty sure it means the files are hitting heuristics that make Defender think it's suspicious and so it wants to send a copy to MS. I'd guess they'll be whitelisted in a definitions update since they're known-good.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

jink posted:

Firefox 18 Beta is out.
Why are they advertising their 'new HTML scaling algorithm' when it's disabled by default and doesn't work on a large portion of images?
Also it resizes the image every time you give focus to the tab, so you get to see the low-quality versions for a quarter of a second every time you switch tabs.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

What does it look like with all addons disabled?
(use the Help menu to do that)

edit: Oh yeah, like person below me suggests, clear cache. Or use Ctrl-F5 or whatever it is to bypass cache.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 2, 2012

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I saw this, which is what prompted me to look into it. I guess they just haven't started updates again yet?

quote:

win64 builds will be considered a tier 3ď build configuration.

The last point is worth expanding on from Mozilla’s Supported build configurations page: “Tier-3 platforms have a maintainer or community which attempt to keep the platform working. These platforms may or may not work at any time, and often have little test coverage.”

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

fookolt posted:

I've used Waterfox for over a year, but I never really found a benefit with it. I know it's faster in benchmarks, but I never really found a difference in performance even with Firefox using over 1500MB of RAM.
Of the benchmarks on their site:
Their BrowserMark score is ~10% higher than FF; the version of BrowserMark they used is unspecified but seems to no longer exist
There is no such thing as the "Fishbowl" benchmark
Firefox wins the V8 benchmark by ~13%
Waterfox is 0.5% slower than FF at SunSpider

You aren't seeing any benefit with WF because there isn't any. It's maybe faster at a certain synthetic benchmark, but its JavaScript performance is at best equal to FF.

It has the pretty big downside of not receiving security patches. The current version of WaterFox is 16.0.1, which is missing the 16.0.2 critical security patch. Plus any more recent security fixes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

Is there a way to disable Firefox from 'unloading' your inactive tabs?
What do you mean by this? Because I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Keyboard Kid posted:

If I don't view a tab for a while, and I'm guessing this is just tabs that don't have any active/updating content, it will automatically refresh when I go to that tab again. It unloads whatever was in that tab (so I can't see what was there before), which is my biggest issue with it.

If this isn't a common thing, maybe it's because I have a lot of tabs open? ~100, normally.
I've had Firefox open on a machine for more than a month with 105 tabs and I have never seen this.
That's identical to how Firefox restores a session, though. Maybe an extension is unloading them?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

I'm on the stable channel, so this is the fist time I've seen the JS PDF reader in action. It seems to work amazingly well. I'm really impressed.
Unfortunately it's nowhere near the quality of a native PDF reader like Chrome's. It works pretty well on 'common' PDFs, but I've run into a ton of PDFs that it either has weird rendering problems on, or the text looks like poo poo and is nearly unreadable. Also its search has weird issues with not finding things.
I still like it, though; I just use Chrome's PDF reader in those cases.

I recommend installing the dev version (scroll down) of pdf.js instead of the normal one. It's updated constantly, while the normal version is a couple months old. I've never had the dev version do anything weird.

Man this new download window in FF20 is weird.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/view-pdf-files-firefox-without-downloading-them#w_using-a-pdf-reader-plugin
?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a way to disable Firefox's disabling of addons? It keeps blocking Java and Flash because they're vulnerable, and yeah sure, they are, but I've kinda cared enough about that and just want things to work properly.
So update them, then?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is there an addon just to restore:
* Bookmark star in address bar
* Back and forward buttons always shown

I don't need the bookmarks menu button but now it's apparently required. And the star works better in the address bar for me.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The Dark One posted:

There's also Ctrl-Shift-T to reopen a tab you'd closed
Anyone else finding that this suddenly no longer works? Running Firefox 29.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Is anyone else running Firefox 29 beta and finding it to be crashing a lot more than usual? Like multiple times per day.
I haven't added any extensions recently.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Arob1000 posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble with HTTPS Everywhere repeatedly causing crashes? Disabling the extension completely stops the crashes. I don't think it's a specific website because I can usually just re-open Firefox and navigate back to where I was. I tried installing the developer version and it's not fixed. Is there another good extension that will do the same thing?
Looks like FF bug 999434 (also on HTTPS-E as 11700).
I've been seeing the same thing, though I didn't figure out what was causing it. Guess I'm disabling HTTPS-E for now.
Unrelated, but ran into this!!!!!!!!!!!! when looking for those bugs: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1906

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

An AMD driver update somehow opened an ancient beta version of Firefox on my machine instead of the current version of Firefox. Which means an ancient beta version poked at my profile. Now text rendering is sometimes hosed up in weird ways. Is there any way of fixing this short of resetting Firefox and reinstalling all my addons?

edit for an example

Popup text immediately after being displayed:

Popup text shortly afterward:

edit: Restarted Firefox for the third time since this happened and now text is normal. The first restart fixed Australis, the second fixed nothing, the third fixed text. Hopefully the fourth doesn't break anything.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 12, 2014

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

How do I get rid of this thing at the top? My mouse has forward/back buttons and I don't need ANOTHER way to accidentally add bookmarks.
It showed up after the update to Firefox 32, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Just updated to Firefox 33 and the tabs bar gets corrupted every time I open a new tab (that isn't a blank tab) :toot:
At least it fixes itself quickly, I guess.
edit: And whenever I move left or right on the tab bar
edit: the BSODs I'm getting suggest this is a GPU issue

xamphear posted:

Why is there a popup blocker icon perpetually in my address bar now? Is this something one of my weird addons did?
I had this for a while and at some point it went away. Just ignore it.

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 8, 2014