Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedes
Jun 7, 2007

trandorian posted:

There is almost no extension compatibility issues, 3.x is old and slow I have no idea why you'd willingly use it. All versions of firefox 4 and up vastly improve performance.

On my laptop (and some of my friends' hardware) FF 4 / 5 actually proved to workslower and be a massive resource hog compared to FF 3.5. It has gone so far as to act subpar compared to IE9 with 10-20 tabs open and say 2-3 flash objects active, where it tended to freeze and/or crap itself while IE worked just fine (albeit slower). I'm using Win 7 x64 Prof on an intel i7 and 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM and I haven't been using FF because I cannot be sure if it suddenly won't go catatonic :(

Basically any version above 3.5 (I don't recall what was the case with 3.6.+) proved to be vastly inferior to the previous releases in terms of resource management / stability. Although it really works nice if there are only 3-5 tabs open (which usually isn't the case when I'm using it).

And it's a crying shame, as I was really pleased with the new Opera-like menu look :(

Small edit: For reference, I had no problems at all running sessions with up to 319 tabs open (one time record, don't ask, don't remember why) in FF 3.5.

Sedes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedes
Jun 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Set browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 0.

Thank You oh so much.