Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fangs404 posted:

Does anyone know of an ETA for e10s (tabs as separate processes)? It's the one thing they're pretty vague about on the roadmap that I really want to know more about.

The most recent thing I've heard was that it's supposed to be a part of Firefox 8. Given what they're supposed to be doing in 8 with garbage collecting and other under the hood changes, it might actually happen this time, but I wouldn't hold them to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

xamphear posted:

All of this just makes me continue to wonder... What the heck does Mozilla do with $300 million dollars a year?

I suspect a lot of it has to do with their efforts to get a smartphone OS off the ground. I'll give them credit in that it's something a little different from another attempt to get a pure linux phone on the market, but drat are they not the company to make it happen.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone else been having problems with the Firefox process not ending after the browser is closed? I haven't seen it do this in like two years or more of use but after upgrading to 29 it's started happening nearly every session. Hopefully it isn't because of the Classic Theme Restorer, that thing is pretty much indispensable. Other than having task manager open to quit the process I can't think of a work-around for this.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Yikes. Is there a similar fix for Thunderbird?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avenging Dentist posted:

I imagine it's the exact same thing, given that the networking security code is identical.

Right, I meant how to access it, I can't just go into about :config on Thunderbird (unless there is something I'm missing here).

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Options -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor

Ah, never knew about that, thanks!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

api call girl posted:

Cool, Firefox 33 is doing that thing where it breaks with hardware acceleration and displays nothing in a black window. We only have thousands of machines of 3 loving models between like 4 driver revisions and it just shows up randomly on a few of them. No rhyme or reason.

Rolling everything back to 32.0.3 despite the security fixes. :sigh:

Your issue may have been fixed with 33.0.1 when it was released the other day.

Firefox 33.0.1 release notes posted:

Firefox displays a black screen at start-up with certain graphics drivers

I mean it could be something entirely different on your machines but that sounds like they've probably fixed it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm confused, why would they disable it on Windows and Android as well :confused:

Or at least that's what the link seems to imply.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

jink posted:

They are just stating that Android/Windows will fall back to previous implementation; pre 34 behavior (without the new demuxer work they have been working on in the core). It shouldn't be noticeable.

Ah, that makes sense.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any indication why the developer left? To spend more time with his family?

Was it announced on April 1st?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That was a lame April Fool's prank.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Im_Special posted:

it's being maintained, it's open source so others can help and pitch in, but Gorhill the master mind is done, as well as the second main dev who was the firefox expert, it wasn't an April Fool's joke.

So which of these two uBlock forks is the one to use, gorhill's or chrisaljoudi's?

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Acer Pilot posted:

Isnt silverlight eol?

If it is that kind of sucks because I don't think that Netflix has moved to Mozilla's HTML5 DRM thing yet.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

computer parts posted:

They haven't, and I think they're the only browser that still requires silverlight (maybe Chrome too?).

Full list of supported platforms is here, and they seem to be dragging their feet with Firefox. Then again, Firefox still has a lot to do to get to where Netflix likely needs them to be.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

~Coxy posted:

There's a dev blog article (not the main blog article of course) that says that Classic Theme Restorer will be one of the addons that will be impossible in the new world order.
So really there's no reason at all to use Firefox anymore.

I hope this is the straw that breaks the camel's back and leads to a fork, but that didn't happen in 4.0 so who knows.

Wouldn't it be possible to at least recreate some of what Classic Theme Restorer does with HTML (whenever enough of XUL is replaced with it, of course)?

On another note, at what point is Mozilla going to stop trying to be Chrome and accept that they won't be getting the #2 status back? They've chased the Chrome target for years now and all they've done is make poor decisions and hemorrhage market share. I can understand wanting to gate off access to the inner parts of the browser from add-ons, but they turned off the ability to get some semblance of the old user interface back just from simple button/toolbar rearranging like several versions ago. They can't possibly be dumb enough to ride this into the grave.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 22, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Alereon posted:

Christ guys, add-ons aren't dead, Firefox is just transitioning to a new high-performance add-on API. Overall jank and performance issues caused by add-ons have been the top complaints about Firefox, and this will address both of those.

I know that, and I understand why it's happening, I just don't like them killing the ability to change the UI while doing it. And this goes well back to before they announced this, either, if Mozilla wasn't slowly killing off the ability to customize the way Firefox looks add-ons like CTR wouldn't be necessary in the first place. It's their browser and they can release however they like, but there should at least be an option to move things around so it doesn't look like a copy of Chrome all the time.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Has anyone been encountering this problem? After upgrading to Firefox 41, the Mozilla Archive Format add-on completely shits the bed whenever I try to open a .maff file. I've tried this with both the signed and beta versions, if that helps. Hopefully they either fix this or someone finds a solution quickly, as this renders a good six years worth of backups almost-completely worthless.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Just tried it out, and I can confirm that it also works in 64-bit Firefox 42 :hellyeah:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fangs404 posted:

Ah, I don't frequent Twitch. Are they working on a full transition to HTML5?

Yeah, hopefully the full player comes out sooner than later.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

GrizzlyCow posted:

I hope they don't follow through with that; I sure do like the Simple White and Rein themes. Is there any reason for this decision? Is maintaining theming support that difficult, or does the Mozilla staff just think Full Theme support is obsolete?

quote:

As part of Firefox great-or-dead, we've decided to stop support for "heavyweight" themes which can do arbitrary styling and replace chrome packages.

We may simply remove that support completely, or we may extend lightweight themes with some additional features such as changing colors or icons.

This bug tracks creating a specific product plan for themes. Expected due date 1-Dec.

I get what he's saying but man is framing their decisions as great-or-dead really going to piss off the userbase.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Not sure what could be causing this, but Firefox seems to not be displaying images hosted from the domain https://pbs.twimg.com (which depending on the thread I'm reading, means that either some or all of the images will be absent). Has anyone else been having this problem? If so, do I need to disable something to fix it?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

astral posted:

Tracking protection has been doing that. You can disable it on a per-site basis or turn it off entirely.

Ah, cool. Thanks!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Only downside to Firefox 43 is that Classic Theme Restorer can no longer make the search bar act like it did in previous versions. Which kinda sucks. Updating to the current Classic Theme Restorer beta doesn't solve the problem either.

You can make the search bar go back to how it previously worked, actually. In the options menu for Classic Theme Restorer, click on General UI (1) and there should be a checkbox labelled "Old search (experimental)".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Haeleus posted:

What is the recommended extension for downloading 1080p Youtube video (VDH has the stupid watermark unless you fork over cash) or is this no longer possible given the audio/video components are now seperate?

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great for this. Although you'll have to specifically tell it to grab 1080p video as that is disabled by default, I think.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

So I may have messed up a while ago and deleted my Firefox DRM plugin. Is there a way to get it back? Google isn't showing me any downloads, just ways to uninstall it. I'm currently using Firefox 47, if this helps, but it was already uninstalled at least when I was using Firefox 45.

edit: Although this may not actually be important, as I can't seem to figure out if Widevine CDM is actually installed or not. Is there a way to check if it is? Because if it is, I don't need the old DRM plugin.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 7, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

astral posted:

I imagine a fresh install should bring it back if it's missing. Primetime (CDM for Adobe DRM) and Widevine (CDM for Google DRM) ought to show up under the "Plugins" tab of the addons manager.

I just upgraded to Firefox 47 (via direct from FTP, granted), and it's not in the Plugins tab. It seems like it's working, because I can watch Netflix and entries for Widevine being enabled appear in about :config, but the rest is baffling me. Both the Adobe plugin and Widevine DLLs are in the profile folder, which only adds to the confusion.

I would like to avoid wiping the slate clean and starting over, if possible.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 7, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

astral posted:

Well, you could check if they're listed in a new profile.

Other than that, you could probably test your current one with something on Amazon's streaming service - if it plays something but doesn't ask you to use Silverlight, you've got Widevine. Their help docs suggest this free video as a test: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU71GY4/

Ah, it seems to be working. It doesn't ask for Silverlight, defaults in video quality to Auto instead of SD, and the page itself claims that I own the video in HD. The player itself doesn't give me a clear read on if Auto in this case means HD, but things seem to be in order.

What I guess I can take away from this is that it appears to be working but can only be flipped on and off in about :config. Testing it with the Adobe plugin turned off in about :config, it still plays with Widevine turned on, so mystery solved.

Thanks for your help, this was bothering me more than it should have.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 7, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ironically, it seems that the Adobe DRM is needed for Netflix, but Netflix won't recognize and use Widevine. Which sucks, because Widevine is needed for 1080p.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Be warned if you use Firefox 47 with the extension Mozilla Archive Format 4.0.0, you can't right click and save anything when the extension is enabled. This goes away when you disable it, but given that the extension requires a restart to toggle, it'll be pretty annoying. The developers are usually pretty good about fixing mistakes this glaring, so hopefully it should be remedied before too long.

edit: Although drag and drop still works so if it's something like a picture the bug doesn't seem to affect it.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 8, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RZApublican posted:

Be warned if you use Firefox 47 with the extension Mozilla Archive Format 4.0.0, you can't right click and save anything when the extension is enabled. This goes away when you disable it, but given that the extension requires a restart to toggle, it'll be pretty annoying. The developers are usually pretty good about fixing mistakes this glaring, so hopefully it should be remedied before too long.

edit: Although drag and drop still works so if it's something like a picture the bug doesn't seem to affect it.

Took a few days, but the devs finally fixed this :cool:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lum posted:

Pizza Hut (uk) mostly works but if you attempt to order a deal then customise the pizza, on firefox (mobile or desktop) it shows "add to order" instead of "add to deal" and puts it down as a separate item, so you end up paying more.

The rest is just random buggy poo poo like top bars appearng in the middle of the page on clickbait sites etc.

Do you have Firefox's tracking protection enabled? It can cause certain websites to not work or hide content that would otherwise be there.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Seems Youtube Center's download feature has been bricked by a recent YT update based on comments on the issues board, and since it's not really being worked on, I don't expect a fix any time soon.

Anyone know of a good alternative for downloading YT videos that isn't super sketchy?

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great. Failing that, Video DownloadHelper, while a little sketchy, is very fast with fixing things related to YouTube internal changes.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Im_Special posted:

There, now you don't need to rely on some reddit type circlejerking upvote/downvote addon to use the internet.

Well that explains why every Scientology website ever got a massive page warning from WOT.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Nalin posted:

Does it stop the YouTube video from playing? That's mainly why I use YouTube Center, since it allows me to open up many YouTube tabs and not have every single one play at once.

It does actually, the problem off having too many YouTube tabs open is mentioned pretty early in the article. While this release let you block audio playback until you tell the tab not to, the next one will let you block the entire source of the audio from playing until you tell it to.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 22, 2016

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

~Coxy posted:

I really have to wonder if there are any actual Firefox users left who aren't "power users" for whom the lack of CTR and other extensions are deal breakers.
It would certainly be ideal if there was enough development effort behind something like Pale Moon.

If Wikipedia is to be believed Firefox is the majority browser by usage in Germany, Cuba, the Central African Republic, and Eritrea.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Merkinman posted:

New UI for Firefox, coming in Nov with the end of 'classic' (read: non web-extension) add-ons.

How are they so loving bad at making a browser

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ola posted:

Also thanks. FlashStopper was incompatible. :( Any other alternatives to prevent autoplaying crap?

There is a setting in about :config that might be what you are looking for. Go into about :config and search for media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground and set it to true. Like it sounds, anything that would start automatically when a new tab is created (like a YouTube video, for example) doesn't start until the tab is clicked on, and although you can't toggle it on and off they even give you a play button at the end of the tabs that are being stopped.

edit: beaten, but yeah.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I can't seem to find a link for the Windows version of the newest release of Thunderbird on mozilla's website. I'm using the 52 beta version but it doesn't to want to update on it's own, though I don't know if that is supposed to happen with beta versions or not. Did Thunderbird 52 only get released for non-Windows platforms, or is there something that I'm missing here?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Im_Special posted:

Please do not bring logic into this thread, today is complain day, bring complaints.

Firefox 55 is just too fast and being able to set the number of processes from the options menu is very useful.

Wait, I think I hosed this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Generic Monk posted:

is there a webextension equivalent to videodownloadhelper yet?

Not yet, but videodownloadhelper's developer is working on updating it to being a webextension. It should be ready by the time 57 comes out.