Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I just disabled hardware acceleration on Flash too on my copy of Firefox 10 and things are a LOT faster.

Also, it dropped from using 100MB of RAM to 78MB. Is Flash really THAT bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of add-ons, which of these are known leakers?

Adblock Plus
Beef Taco
Collusion
DoNotTrackPlus
DownloadHelper
DownThemAll!
DownThemAll! AntiContainer
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
HTTPS-Everywhere
IE Tab 2
NoScript
Test Pilot

I can have 10 - 20 tabs open, and use about 3 - 4GB out of 6GB of RAM.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

95% of my daily Firefox usage is two tabs:
One is Zendesk
Two is a mediawiki page

Almost every other day after 8+ hours of work I have to restart Firefox 14 because it is chewing up 2GB of RAM and starting to crawl doing the simplest things like clicking links.

But hey, they have a pretty cool 3D DOM viewer built into the browser these days!

Yeah, Firefox 14 uses 2GB of RAM for me no matter how many tabs I have open. I'm starting to think the memory leaks are back (or never left...I don't even know anymore as I've had RAM issues with Firefox ever since 3 started).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is Aurora stable enough to be used as a permanent browser or should I stick with Release Channel builds?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zhentar posted:

^^^ Aurora is usually pretty reliable. It's been many months since I last ran into a significant issue with it.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Firefox's Aurora site says the latest one is 13.0.1 but that's the same version on the release channel. Is there somewhere else I should be looking for 15 (if that's out yet as Aurora) or is that it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bieeardo posted:

The version I'm running is 15.0a2, so the site probably needs to play a little catchup. It should want to update to current, if it isn't at 15 when you download it.

I think the site is a bit behind, yeah.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/aurora/ I used this one but I think it's out of date. But thanks though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

On Aurora, the Downloads menu disappeared and has been replaced with the window again. Has this happened for anyone else?

I just updated to 16.0a2 but this happened before I updated.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cool new feature just landed (at least in the last few days) on the Aurora channel - selective activation of plugins.

The global click-to-play function has been available in Firefox for a while, but it's been disabled by default and only accessible through about :config plugins.click_to_play set as true. This update allows individual to be activated on an individual basis.

Handy if you want an extra element of security and controls over websites, also saves on bandwidth if you don't activate them. I've been surprised how many websites have Flash running in the background, doing nothing but (presumably) spying on me or something.

So that's what this is! I didn't even notice it until a while back while browsing Tumblr.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've gotten this. It's not just on Firefox, it's on Chrome too.

As far as I know, there's no way to turn it off.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Alereon posted:

I don't think so, but I'd recommend switching to Aurora and trying out the plugin-click-to-play feature, that way the plugin process will only launch when you actually want to view plugin content. You can also whitelist sites.

In more general system performance terms, run Crystal Disk Info (fourth download doesn't have anime or ads), if your drive shows Caution or Bad it is failing which would explain your poor performance, back up any files that are important to you and replace the drive with an SSD. If that looks good, run CCleaner to clean up any garbage (on the applications tab, make sure it's set to at least clear your Firefox cache and compact databases). That should clean a few GB of garbage off the system drive. You can then run MyDefrag (the System Disk Weekly script is most effective, System Disk Daily is almost as good but MUCH faster). These steps will make a significant difference in Firefox and overall responsiveness on systems with slower drives.

plugin-click-to-play is on Firefox 16.0.1 as well. I'm using Firefox after one of my plugins broke in Aurora and it seems it's still in 16.0.1 and so is the Activate Plugin thing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Alereon posted:

I don't think it has the ability to save per-site permissions though, which is important to keep it from turning into an annoying thing you want to turn off. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Looks like this was added to Firefox 17, currently in Beta.

I may go back to beta at some point, but I think I'll stay with Firefox 16 and Aurora as backup.

How long will 17 remain in beta?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is MozBackup still a valid way to backup your profile data or is there an easier way?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hughesmar posted:

Wouldn't Firefox Sync do what you need?

Speaking of this, Firefox Sync has been absolutely awful for me.

Tabs don't sync, I can't use them from either my laptop or desktop, and history also doesn't sync.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dominoes posted:

You have to go to Menu - history - tabs from other computer to sync tabs. Super unintuitive and clumsy.

Uh...wow.

That's really stupid considering I remember it being a simple link in the "List All Tabs" button when Sync first showed up.

Thanks for showing me where they hid it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sync on Firefox really does need some work. The whole "hidden list in the History section" is not exactly intuitive. Especially since it doesn't seem to work with the Tab Groups feature and only shows a small amount of the tabs you have open.

Dominoes posted:

It automatically loads the tabs from your other computer.

Edit: Maybe I'm imagining it working that way on chrome; that's the way I'd like it to work though, just like the bookmark sync.

Tab Sync on Chrome shows a list as a small pop-up menu on the home screen. It's not automatically opened. You just click "Other devices" and up pops a menu with every tab you have open on other devices. You can go through every single tab that you have open manually or open them all at once, each in it's own tab.

Firefox makes you click the link to every tab and it opens a new tab that steals focus which means you need to go back to the Tab Sync tab every time you want to open a new tab. It also, as I said, does not show every single tab.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jippa posted:

Is there a specific reason that people have moved too chrome? Or is it just personal preference?

I have chrome but I don't really see the difference on a browsing level, also ff seems to have more interesting add ons?

I use Chrome more than Firefox now a days.

Mostly because I got sick of having to wipe the profile just to fix things. I haven't been able to play Flash videos in Firefox ever since it updated and even before that. It just crashes any other time.

The only reason I use Firefox is due to the ability to have many more tabs open thanks to the Tab Groups and I can still download videos with Video Downloader...though it's impossible to play them since Flash doesn't work anymore.

Of course, I could make backups but that's just more hassle. Also, Firefox Sync is just horrible compared to Chrome. It just doesn't even work half the time. In fact, I just checked and it's "not currently working" right now and will try again later.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whatever the new Firefox is doing, it's making it incredibly buggy and unstable on quite a few sites. I've cleared the cache, started a new profile, all of that. I think it's this HTTPS forcing thing that simply doesn't work.

It took the forums here about 5 minutes to actually load where it takes them only a few seconds to load on Chrome.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Nope, FF24.0 and up-to-date flash (non beta stuff).

This seems like a Flash thing...it's starting to happen to me on Chrome.

Maybe Google is doing something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is avast still removing extensions?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xamphear posted:

The Firefox Thread: Are We Chrome Yet?

I'm all for this one. haha

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'd direct you to the "How to keep malware off your computer" thread but they've just opened a new thread and it's quite scary in there. I'm loathe to even invoke that thread in case I summon the attention of some of the posters.

Anyway, as a very basic thing, try the Windows Defender Offline scanner, install Malwarebytes Antimalware (configure it to look for rootkits as well), and make sure you've got uBlock and Web of Trust installed on Firefox and Chrome. I believe there's also a setting in Internet Explorer that allows you to reset it. Don't let your parents use Internet Explorer.

That's what I would do, I'm sure others could pop in with better answers.

Is Web of Trust needed if you use HTTP Switchboard (Chrome) and NoScript (Firefox)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsDWRxfjTk&t=3396s

Anyone got any info or confirmation on this?

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Crossposting from the SSD and Chrome threads, apparently Firefox and Chrome are the main ones that do this? Chrome supposedly does 1GB per hour.