Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Any easy way to point session storing to some other directory? I've got a bit of spinning rust for this purpose, but I'd rather not move my entire profile folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
And apparently the bulk of writes Firefox does are because of the cookies file.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It seems that when I start Subnautica, Firefox starts choking on youtube video. Anyone else having anything like this?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Double Punctuation posted:

Buy faster RAM? You're pushing a game and a video to the GPU at the same time. RAM can't transfer data at infinite speeds.

I've got more than necessary for that, and it doesn't get slow - it freezes on a frame and resumes when I mouse-over the video or make the window active. The sound continues to play, but the video freezes on a frame.

It's a Nvidia card. It doesn't happen on Chrome.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Any way to tell Firefox not to use a theme for private windows? Or use a different theme, optimally? I want them to be easily distinct which they are not.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spyde posted:

I mean it was a hell of a lot more informative than this post which contributes nothing.

Stop lying to yourself.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm on the verge of coming back to Firefox 57 as my main browser after nearly a year of using Vivaldi. Most of my extensions have got reasonably good replacements as WebExtensions now. I understand that LastPass will have one ready for the mainstream release of 57, but can anyone recommend an alternative that's safe to use in the meantime?

LastPass is hilariously bad and way less secure than a post-it note to begin with.

Use KeepAss and abandon browser extensions for copy-paste. Literally the best method now. Yes it sucks.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah it's amazing work they've done. Startup time is outstanding.

So their impatience for a massive upgrade got the best of them and they shoved poo poo out before it was ready, but the massive upgrade is indeed that?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

jokes posted:

Man people think this update is bad? I have only been pleasantly surprised and VERY impressed/happy with everything in the new update. Even things I thought would be terrible like the extension shenanigans, just made me realize I used stupid extensions that probably shouldn't be updated.

There's a few glitches, but nothing that won't be ironed out within a few weeks, but losing extensions takes time to get used to.

Overall Quantum looks like it will be okay but for now it's half-baked.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Welp. NoScript 57 isn't all that good... but uBlock Origin has literally all the NoScript features I wanted hidden behind that "I am an advanced user" checkbox.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

So is there a good password manager with a Firefox add on?

edit: and a good replacement for Noscript?

Respectively, no, and uBlock Origin in Advanced User mode. The Advanced User mode basically has all the important NoScript functionality.

EDIT: LastPass you can safely pass on, it's hilarious garbage. The KeepAss browser extension is hot garbage, but they do have a copy-to-clipboard function in the client that automatically clears the clipboard after 10 seconds by default.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 6, 2017

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

Firefox is acting weird - dropped noscript and switched just to ublock origin in medium mode. However, now at random times, tabs just blank out and I have to reload them. I was listening to streaming music via youtube and it just stopped. I guess certain tabs are crashing? I also have to quit out firefox if I want to play a video game. Otherwise the game just crashes.

Updated your graphics drivers recently?

Because that's your graphics drivers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

clockworkjoe posted:

I googled around and found a post on the FF tech support forum to prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1185117

It works. Video games aren't a problem now.

... are you using a third party antivirus? In this day and age?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So I like keeping my bookmarks (and nothing else) synchronized over my Firefox account.

And now the iOS client doesn't seem to support turning off syncing cookies anymore?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

isndl posted:

How's your memory usage looking? I get that effect when Firefox is unloading tabs to disk and having to pull it back up. Memory leaks via Javascript or whatever exacerbates it.

No.

nielsm posted:

Firefox 58: The last week or so I've had trouble with pages being frozen or replaced with a spinner, when I switch to their tab. It takes a good while (10+ seconds) for it to fix itself, but I don't see any particular CPU usage during that time. I only remember seeing it on SA, but haven't tested in detail. I haven't tested with SALR Redux disabled yet.
It looks like some new feature that's supposed to make tab loading block less or something, but is there a way to disable that for testing?

It's the new "off-main-thread painting" work no doubt.

EDIT: Or Tab Warming. Either way, lots of tab handling changes in 58.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 10, 2018

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Ah, another hideous bug.

59.0.1 is utterly broken on devices with ClearType disabled.

And now everything's blurry.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EoRaptor posted:

Try uMatrix, from the uBlock Origin author. Does the same script blocking as NoScript and some of the cross site stuff, but the interface for turning stuff back on is much better.

It doesn't cover everything noscript does, but it's much simpler and faster.

Or just turn on dynamic blocking in uBlock Origin. The way it works is fairly fast to understand if you have experience with NoScript.

It's in the addon settings, under Settings as "I am an advanced user".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's Apple users.

Seriously.

Posts from Apple phones using single inverted commas are causing this on a variety of platforms and browsers according to a bunch of threads. Of course, it would have been nice to find this out myself before I spent nearly an hour loving with fonts and browser settings :effort:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just did a test elsewhere, you can do it with a lot of special characters.

When posted becomes:

���ݶ��n��^]��ŕĦŵƫ

So, not just lovely Apple products.

Could have tested it beforehand, or read the thread discussing this very issue.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Mine fixed itself last night, out of nowhere. Just normal Firefox, didn't do any workarounds

Studies is on by default (on profiles created after some point I think?) and getting the study deployed to you will fix the browser.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
66.0.4 is out for those brave enough to try it.

Will be on automatic update shortly assuming nothing weird happens.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

overmind2000 posted:

All of my themes are being updated but I can't find any release notes as to why, did Mozilla change something on the back-end?

They did, yes. The notes are in 66.0.4's in-depth notes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nth Doctor posted:

I checked the notes but the linked ticket didn't say anything about Mozilla resubmitting themes for review of their own accord. My theme got bumped to 3.0 without any interaction on my part and is receiving a validation warning because it has already been signed.

They do say in there somewhere that all themes needed to be re-signed to deal with the kerfuffle from the certificate expiration, but it's way there on bugzilla side.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

abelwingnut posted:

so i watch a lot of baseball via mlb.tv, which is a streaming service provided by mlb. since switching to firefox, whenever i full screen the stream, the stream demonstrates this...minorly glitchy effect. it's not subtle, but it's not overt. it just sort of streams, and then every half second glitches back to a frame or two from a half second ago. it does this constantly, but only in full screen mode, and only in firefox. in chrome, the feed runs seamlessly. and in firefox with the stream, at any size, in any window, also runs seamlessly. it's just whenever i full screen it.

any ideas what might be up here? i've tried closing all other applications, and also the most memory-intensive tabs. it still does it, and i'm not really sure where to begin diagnosing.

What's your graphics card, installed driver version and vram size?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

abelwingnut posted:

geforce 8400gs, drivers 342.01, 1024mb. card puts out video to two monitors running at 1920x1200.

Yeah. Yeaaah.

Those drivers are seriously buggy and they will demonstrate behavior like this under Chrome too, just less.

Firefox has less workarounds for this poo poo, but long story short, you're running a desktop well beyond what that card can reliably handle and you're hardware decoding video on them and uh, that card just doesn't have the power. Or the memory. Or the drivers.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Artelier posted:

I've been considering getting a password manager, but then went into a weird hellhole of research over the last few days and now I am more uncertain than ever. I just don't know what to choose! Never had one before so I'm probably experiencing information overload.

For free options across multiple devices, I think the only real options are BitWarden, Lastpass, and Keepass, correct?

Basically, I use multiple computers, and my Android phone mostly. I thought a password manager lets me remember one password and then I can use it across multiple devices.

But then I thought, what if, for whatever reason, I lose my master password. And then I read people say it's still not secure if someone manages to say break into my phone/laptop. And then I think of all the accounts I need to create passwords for to be secure. What happens if someone gets a monopoly? Is it difficult to transfer passwords? Can they hack in forever? What if I want to get off the ecosystem? Aaaaaaa

I'm just overwhelmed. My gut feel is password manager is a definite improvement. But I've never used one before and I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Any advice either way, or a resource that I should refer to? Apologies if this is the wrong thread or has been discussed, went back a couple pages briefly and didn't see it in the opening either.

Well your research was worthless and led you badly astray.

Go with KeepAss. Put all your not-super-important passwords there. All my actual important passwords are on physical objects, held in a location I know and lock, and in a wholly indecipherable cipher.

If your research made you consider LastPass as even an option the research was worthless garbage, and so are the whole "it's not secure if someone hacks YOUR BRAIN" Reddit bullshit, and literally everything followed "But then I thought".

Password managers help you reduce password reuse, and reusing passwords is the biggest security problem. It's not about complex nonsensical passwords, because those are actually entirely worthless. (Apart from the problem where a lot of other people are also using the same password, like password123.) They're not perfectly secure but they're secure enough, and if "secure enough" isn't good enough for you please refer to Plato's discussions about his cave.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wheany posted:

What do you mean by that?

If you're at the situation where someone's bothering to break into a properly implemented system by bruteforcing it, all of the passwords in that container are already compromised because it's only a matter of time.

Longer passwords do mean it takes a (lot) longer to bruteforce but it's not about the complexity to humans at that point. All complex characters and being perfectly random can be replaced with adding one more word to the passphrase.

The only real thing you can do is to protect yourself against dictionary attacks as far as bruteforcing goes. The rest... if you've got someone who wants your info and can credibly bruteforce it out then they don't actually have to give a poo poo about what your password is. A properly implemented system throws up roadblocks to bruteforcing - optimally by restricting the rate of attempts to something a human barely notices but that really slows down a computer trying passwords as fast as it can. In the case of situations where that's not possible, like a KeepAss database, the system itself is complex and (computationally) expensive enough you have to throw some fairly significant money to crack something longer than, say, ten characters. Either that's too daunting for them or they've got your passwords already and it didn't actually matter.

Meanwhile if a site gets compromised they'll have your password, and they'll have your email, so they'll just try that on other sites. It's something that actually happens.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If the site's bad enough to have bad salt the rest if its security won't be up to snuff either.

Having a long password for the password manager itself isn't a bad idea but honestly it's still a risk reward equation for the attacker and attacking a password manager database has a high risk of wasting a lot of electricity for sweet fuckall.

Meanwhile loving lol at a password manager standing up to a state actor.

A jilted ex is the number one threat scenario for a password manager.

Also the argument against nonsensical passwords is they're a pain in the rear end to enter manually when you need to and barely improve security even in an optimal case.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ola posted:

That's not guaranteed, everything can be tip top apart from using a salted hash. Lots of sites have otherwise competent engineers that think they've made the a good solution, but aren't quite up to date on the present best practice. One example is using very strong encryption algorithms instead of hashing, where the password itself is also the password of the encryption, perhaps with a common salt. The output effectively becomes a rainbow attackable hash since two similar passwords will have the same output.

This is a scenario that doesn't exist. I wouldn't worry about problems that aren't going to exist.

Ola posted:

But do you advocate generating passwords that make sense? Or not using a manager? I have 100+ passwords in my manager now, I wouldn't be able to remember all of those without some degree of reuse. It is indeed a pain in the rear end to enter manually on the extremely rare occasion copy/paste doesn't work, perhaps it would be easier if the manager generated diceware ones. But it's such a rare and minuscule problem that it's hardly an argument against managers or their common workflow.

I absolutely advocate against reuse. I generally try to go for pronounceable strings for passwords, 12-24 chars depending on how much a poo poo I give about the site. A few actually important sites are on physical tokens in a lockbox, indeed using a "these will eventually turn into the password if you can remember the route" setup.

Klyith posted:

The NSA would not be able to break my Keepass database, unless they have top-secret quantum computers or backdoors in cryptography or have discovered math that collapses factoring. My keepass takes about a second of CPU time to decrypt. Even if the NSA has computers 100 billion times faster than mine, it would take years to centuries.

If a state actor wants to know my passwords they'll sneak into my house and replace my keyboard cable with a seemingly identical cable that actually has a tiny keylogger in it that transmits everything I type to the van outside.

This is exactly why I said that. By the time you're dealing with state actors it's absolutely not your password manager that's the target or a meaningful component of your data leaving your possession.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Do you even read what you post, or what other people post for that matter?

Adobe's security got compromised because they were clownshoes, and as a result people figured out their password storage was clownshoes. No poo poo Sherlock it's goddamn Adobe.

And I don't get where you got the idea anyone at all, least of all me, is saying not to use password managers. :psyduck:

And I doubly don't get why you think it matters how the bruteforce time of any online password matters in any shape way or form. Why would you bruteforce the passwords of a service you have already compromised are these some loving Wacky Races cybervillains who crib their business model from the Brotherhood of Dada or something?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Butt Savage posted:

Am I overreacting?

Absolutely.

No browser will be better. You can go with Firefox, Chrome or Worse.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niwrad posted:

Weird question. I switched from Chrome to Firefox recently mainly for privacy issues. But I have one minor annoyance.

Chrome seemed to dull colors. I've read a bunch about why and am wondering if there is a way to make Firefox replicate that. It's an incredibly minor issue that I'm sure I'd get used to. But I hate how much brighter colors are on Firefox (mainly text links). Below is a screenshot of Firefox on the left and Chrome on the right. You can see the difference in the blues on the text (blue is mainly the color I notice the difference in).

If I recall correctly that's OS color profiles and yes there's a way to gently caress with it.

It was something real "why" the last time I had to gently caress with it though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I get it every so often, mostly when I'm doing something intensive in some other process.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have no extensions that could cause it. (uBlock doesn't really gently caress with that level.)

At least one recurring Nvidia bug causes behavior like that. They've still not quite squashed it and it's been around for at least two years.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Firefox has an incomprehensible labyrinthine UX that keeps changing for no good reason.

WONTFIX It keeps the Minotaur from escaping.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^^ Sadly, true. Modern browsers are like modern cars. No dipstick to check the oil, no spare tyre, and those stupid panels under the bonnet to prevent you from even seeing the engine. Wouldn't want anything to get in the way of the intended driver experience.

This latest update has gently hosed up a bunch of stuff for me - mainly that pages aren't displaying right. They'll load, but won't display until I scroll up and down a little, then suddenly appear. And everything feels just that much slower.

It's also the first update in a while to break multirow tabs. But that's always a chance, so I'll just wait for the fix to appear on github.

Serves me right, really, for not waiting a couple weeks like I usually do before updating.

That's hardware acceleration going fucky and might be your drivers.

It's a bug that's recurred so long it's on the 10th reunion tour.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Falcorum posted:

Firefox just updated to 82.0 and nuked my pinned tabs so thoroughly they don't even show in the history (had already tried the usual restore previous session, etc, but that only brought back the non-pinned tabs and the profile backups don't have it either). Nothing critical there but I'm tired of having to work around Firefox's issues and UX blunders on every update, so is there an alternative that isn't Chrome/Edge and isn't associated with shady advertiser stuff?

No.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Computer viking posted:

That looks like a broken webfont, but I can't quite imagine how that would happen.

It's a memory error in Firefox, something to do with Nvidia drivers probably, and it's been a recurring issue for years.

Clean your Nvidia drivers out, reinstall, reinstall Firefox, wait for the next fucky update.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I have no idea if that's what actually fixes it, mind you. It could be entirely unrelated and cleared with a reboot.

I'm like 85% sure it has something to do with subpixel rendering though.

:iiam:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone got a way to get rid of the new ad in private browsing?

Firefox devs: Always shoving unwanted garbage in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

astral posted:

Setting browser.privatebrowsing.vpnpromourl to a blank string seems to mostly resolve it.

Sure does, thanks. Just promoEnabled to false didn't. Firefox.