Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'm not sure if any developers will find the 3D mode actually helpful. You can even spin the page around and see everything in reverse. I will not deny it's really cool, but why did they spend the time on this instead of a built-in javascript debugger?

There's actually been a pretty strong push to "flatten" web design, in that you should be doing your best to lessen specificity to make your site design more modular, and therefore easier to maintain. This is actually a pretty good way to check and see what parts of the site need attention. Plus, it just looks cool.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Golbez posted:

So, on a modern PC, would we really gain any performance by streamlining these pages? Or is it simply a matter of making it more maintainable in general, getting away from the horror of nested tables?

Yes and yes. Optimized pages are more semantic, render faster, save on bandwidth, and help performance, especially when taking tabbed browsing into consideration.

HalloKitty posted:

:psyduck:

pipes! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 15, 2012

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Internaut! posted:

Is there a free and foolproof way to sync between FF and an iPhone? I used to use XMarks but it doesn't work anymore, I think since iOS 5. I tried some other $10 solution and it was an unholy mess of configuring sync services and other BS.

I've been perfectly happy with Firefox Home.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Is there a way to permanently disable the Add-on Bar? I'm sick of installing an Add-on, then having it corrupt my profile, permanently showing up with new windows and having to close each instance manually ever time.

I'm synching Add-ons between three machines, if that helps any.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

The Milkman posted:

If you remove all the buttons out of it it shouldn't show up.

Nope, not working.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

There's an X button on the add-on bar itself. Click it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but the trouble the close only works until a new window is spawned.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You might want to go through each of your extensions' preferences and have a look to see if it's specified that it wants an icon in the add-on bar. Also, if go into the Customise Toolbar options, try dragging the offending extension icons off the add-ons bar into the Customise Toolbar box.

These are just suggestions - I don't have the problem you're describing.

I've tried all this, and no combination seems to work. The Add-on bar is really a poo poo UI choice, since there's no standardization with preferences to allow/disallow an icon to appear in it, and keeping my Extention's functionality is non-negotiable.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Try deleting localStore.rdf in your profile folder? Sometimes that file gets corrupted and it becomes impossible to customize things in Firefox. (Note that this will reset all your customizations, window positions, etc.)

Tried this, and still nothing. And it somehow managed clear all my custom AdBlock filters, so there's a plus. Normally I'd chalk this up to being a fluke, but this has happened multiple times on multiple machines. I just wish I could permaban it through editing the userChrome.css or something, since I literally never use the bar.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Long and short: I'd like no Add-on bar and running Lion, so I think I'm just poo poo out of luck. I think the next step is to just reinstall on all machines one by one. Regardless, sorry it took a bit to get back to you guys, and thanks for the help!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Have you tried resetting your profile (Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Reset Firefox)? That should keep your history, bookmarks, password, etc, but wipe out all your extensions and start you fresh. Then you can reinstall the extensions you need, and hopefully it'll work.

Yup. I am edgecase, hear me roar :saddowns:

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Well then, much as I hate to suggest it, you can hide the add-on bar by adding the following to userChrome.css:

code:
#addon-bar {
  display: none !important;
}

poo poo and goddamn, this works. Thank you so much!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I accidentally clicked "Never allow extensions for this site" when trying to enable extensions for a site I frequently visit. Any idea how to change it back?

I searched about:config for the site's name, but I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, would be relevant.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Right click, View Page Info, Permissions tab, "Install Extensions or Themes" option.

I would have never thought to have looked there, thanks!

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Another advantage of enabling Click to Play is that a lot of sketch background tracking stuff won't fire off. You'd be surprised how many sites do nasty stuff like Flash tracking cookies.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

FRINGE posted:

Most of what they think is bullshitbullshit ~their opinion~ bullshitbullshit anyway.

Is it?

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Bieeardo posted:

I'm going to keep my annoyance in reserve until I figure out what bits of the old UI I want can or can't be bodged back in.

I'm actually looking forward to it. There's a lot of little details that I like, but, if anything, I can't wait for stuff like History and Bookmarks to finally be integrated into the main window.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

fivre posted:

Seriously, change what engine the search bar uses, type a search into the address bar, and marvel as it searches whatever's selected in the search bar.

420 smoke Keyword searches 'erryday.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Looks like Mozilla released Lightbeam two days ago—I'm going to let it run on my home and work machines to see what gets collected. One thing worth mentioning: it looks like it installs set to disabled for some reason, so you have to manually enable it via the Add-ons page.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Yeah, it really feels like Mozilla went out and got themselves their very own Silicon Valley "thought leader" marketing shitheel. I can appreciate the need to get money from sources other than Google to stay afloat, but I feel like they should be way more upfront and transparent about it.

e: :lol: https://twitter.com/dherman76/status/431968639990763520

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

dpbjinc posted:

Why does every browser suck now?

Advertising.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Here's a mockup from one of the UX people to give you a better idea of what it would look like:

~fixed this 4 u~

Hyperbolic, yeah, but seriously: This was just about the worst way to approach the issue. Having some vague language tucked away on a newly created blog on a newly created department from a new position from someone who was brought in from the very industry all us nerds are so suspicious of isn't the best way to go about winning people's trust, especially coming from an organization who is very big on openness and transparency.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

How do you feel about your iPhone coming with bookmarks for ESPN, Disney and Yahoo?

You actually have to manually delete those, like Firefox's preinstalled search engines.

Honestly, I don't like the practice. Again, it's not Directory Tiles specifically, it's the really lovely way they're going about it.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I wonder if we could all endorse the new Mozilla CEO for his Homophobia skills on LinkedIn.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

May every door hit him on the way out.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
:lol: if you think ad companies make their money from actually getting people to buy the product or service featured on their web ads.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

FRINGE posted:

People still use mice. The fat-thumb buttons dont need to be in the main desktop product.

Touchscreen capable "desktops" are shipping with ever more frequency. In this case, where device capabilities can't be determined with ease, a comfortable touch target for common actions isn't too bad a thing to have.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyybrid inputs for hyyyyyyyyyybrid devices.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

xamphear posted:

Why is there a popup blocker icon perpetually in my address bar now? Is this something one of my weird addons did?

I had it. Quitting and relaunching seemed to fix.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Did the recent update remove the ability to use Shift+Option to select portions of the URL in the Awesome Bar? I used to use it all the time to manipulate URLs.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know of an Add-on that replicates this Chrome extension's functionality? Basically fuzzy search though a list of open tabs without getting history hits like when searching from the URL bar.

pipes! fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 5, 2016

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Avenging Dentist posted:

Type "%" in the location bar to restrict the location bar's search to open tabs. (You can put this anywhere in your search as a separate word.)

:monocle:

I've been using Firefox for probably close to a decade at this point, and I had no idea that this functionality existed. Thanks!

pipes! fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
Does anyone know how to flip the order of results in the Awesome bar back to how the pre-60 version presented them? I'm trying to get history results listed before search results:

code:
Thing I have typed
-------------------------------------------------------------
Things I have looked at in the past related to what I have typed
Things the search autocomplete thinks I'm interested in
Muscle memory dies hard.

pipes! fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 2, 2018